Singing Got Better

The Library

We spent hours singing at the Karaoke place. It turns out Kyungsoo really had a talent and so did the rest of his friends. Chen and Baekhyun were quite excellent. Krystal was the only other girl who joined us since Luna had to work. Krystal sung very well, she also mentioned to me that Luna was even better. When it was my turn to sing, the crazy Sehun and Chen made Kris and I sing a song in Korean.

“YEAH YEAH, MAKE THEM SING IN KOREAN!” Sehun screamed. This led the rest of the group to agree because of curiosity of how bad we sung in another language.

“Snsd? T-ara? Or maybe 4minute?” Chen suggested and laughed evilly. Let’s remember this was a song Kris and I were going to sing together.

Kris just rolled his eyes, he didn’t seem happy about the suggestions. I on the other hand had a deep secret within me.

I was an Ailee fan. I had been her fan since she lived in New Jersey and when I found out she had debuted in Korea, that didn’t stop me.

I actually knew her new song, word for word. Although it took me awhile. I felt like surprising them.

“Well actually you guys, I like the singer Ailee…” I whispered.

“Ailee…which song do you want to sing, her new one?” Xiumin asked. He was in charge of playing the songs.

“Yeah that one, is that okay with you Kris?” I asked. He looked like he wanted to rip the hair out of his head but he nodded anyways.

“Alright then, Singing Got Better!” Xiumin announced.

The music began as Kris did the “Oh’s” with all his heart. The guys just laughed like a pack of Hyena’s.

The moment of truth came, it was my turn to begin.

 

I was out of it because of your gentleness
Because of your sweetness, because of your lies

My dream changed – instead of a famous singer
I tried to become a good wife
I was such a fool, I was such a fool

My singing got better after breaking up with you
After living crazily with music, all of the song lyrics
Seemed like my story so I sang them to death
Little by little, slowly, my tears dried

I sang in Korean. Remembering to hit that high note correctly. I got really into that part of the song for a reason. In a sense, I felt those lyrics not towards my ex or anyone of that type but rather to my father. He killed my dream of becoming a famous singer and prepared me to become the wife of another CEO just because of the money. For some reason I felt like if my singing got better after leaving my family behind, not only that but it seemed like my life had gotten better.

As soon as I finished singing it was Kris’s turn to sing. Everyone however was looking at me baffled. I turned red immediately. Kris on the other hand was singing badly.

Chen got up and helped him out.

“My singing got better after breaking up with you
After living crazily with music, all of the song lyrics
Seemed like my story so I sang them to death
Little by little, slowly, my tears dried
Slowly, I got over you like that”

Chen, Kris and I sung.

Everyone clapped and hollered.

“Your pronunciation is flawless!” Krystal squealed.

“Not only that but you sing better than the singers on the radio!” Luhan added shyly. I smiled.

“I think I fell for you even more now” Kyungsoo said dazzled. I just giggled.

“I think I fell for you too” Sehun said and laughed. Kyungsoo turned around right away and gave Sehun the “What did you say?” face.

“I’m kidding…your were awesome noona!” he said saving his .

“Better than Ailee” Suho added. The rest of the guys nodded.

After a few more rounds of Karaoke and hearing Kyungsoo’s angelic voice, everyone went their own ways around K-town under the condition we were to return by 7 to the galleria.

Kyungsoo and I just decided to look around.

Hand in hand we strolled the streets of K-town.

“Your hand is so soft” I whispered. His dazzling eyes look my way.

“Your eyes are so beautiful” I added. He flashed me his beautiful smile.

“Your smile is even more beautiful, but you know what I like most?” I whispered and smiled. He raised his eyebrow.

“That wonderful personality of yours” I said and kissed his cheek gently.

“That’s why you fell for me?” he asked me. I nodded.

“I’m not at your level Mina” he whispered sadly. He looked down at the ground as if ashamed.

“Kyungsoo” I said lifting his face with my hand.

“Mina” he replied. “Look at me, I had to borrow Suho’s clothes and Tao’s car because I’m too poor to afford any of this”

“But that’s not what matters to me” I whispered and shook my head.

“It’s not my money Kyungsoo, in reality you have more money than I do. If it were down to the money we have both earned with our sweat…I’m the poor one. Matter of fact, I don’t think I have earned a single penny in my life” I whispered. I was being completely honest, I should be the one ashamed.

“I know Mina but-” Kyungsoo began but stopped and turned around.

“Did you hear that Mina?” he asked. I turned around but saw no one.

“So it’s not just me? I felt like someone had been following us…” I said grabbing a hold of his arm. At the end though we shook it off.

We met up with the rest of the crew, got in our vans, locked the doors and headed back home.

Kyungsoo kissed my forehead as I got off at my house and said goodbye.

Little did I know though, how much my life would change after that day.