Chapter 8: Regret

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

I walked out of the library in satisfaction because Naeun was wearing the hairpin I secretly gave her. As I was walking to lunch, I saw Naeun talking to Bomi. I couldn’t really hear what they were saying but they were talking about Naeun’s secret admirers.

Psh, I had a lot of secret admirers. Almost everyone in the whole school has a crush on me or admires me. I always had a pile of chocolates during Valentine’s Day and Pepero Day. It was rather annoying but I guess it goes to show that I’m still the prince that most of the girls wants to have. The only girls that I haven’t really captured their hearts were Apink but I’ll exclude Chorong because of Woohyun.

Anyways, I knew that Naeun would have secret admirers too. Even if I despised her, a lot of guys have fallen for her. It’s probably because of how smart and flawless her skin was. Her hair was very wavy and very black. The guys believed she is innocent minded, even though, I know she is innocent minded. I learned the hard way because I followed her that day and I’m also her partner for these stupid projects.

When I got the cafeteria, I saw Infinite sitting at a long table, all eyes turned to Sungyeol. Why are they staring at Sungyeol? Why is he there? Come inside, idiot choding.

“Dude, why is Sungyeol there?” asked Hoya.

“I don’t know but he seems to be waiting for someone,” said Dongwoo.

I sat next to Sungjong because my friends were too busy causing rumors for Sungyeol.

“Hi hyung, do you know why Sungyeol is over there?” asked Sungjong as he pointed toward Sungyeol.

Great, I get into this conversation as well. I didn’t want to ignore Sungjong so I gave an answer.

“No, I don’t. He probably will tell me later anyways,” I said as I started to eat my lunch.

“Ah, okay, hyung,” said Sungjong as he watched Sungyeol.

I didn’t understand why Sungyeol was standing outside like an idiot. He usually would tell me what he was going to do because he sometimes needed my advice. Was he actually going to meet a girl? I shook that thought away as I ate. I glanced at the Apink table and saw Bomi and Naeun weren’t there yet. It couldn’t be Naeun right? I mean, those two are really close. I have a feeling if Naeun gets closer to Sungyeol, she will take him away from me. That girl keeps coming into my life and it’s annoying me. I mean, the only thing she took from me was my rank. I have a feeling that this year Sungyeol is next. Why am I always angry when I mention her with him? I’m probably just jealous that she keeps taking the importance in my life.

I shook the thought off my mind but it came back after Woohyun pointed at Naeun.

“He was waiting for Naeun!” he said.

All of Infinite were surprised that Sungyeol was waiting for Naeun. I was shocked too that I almost chocked on my food. Sungjong gave me a drink of water as I gave thanks to the maknae. I can’t believe this! Why is she with him, of all people? Argh! This is exactly what I was worried about. This is exactly why I despise her.

As I ate my lunch in silence, I began munching on my food with jealousy. Infinite started to ship Naeun with Sungyeol as I gave a death glare at them.

“I disapprove of this shipping!” I said as I gritted my teeth together.

“Oh, is Myungsoo jealous of Sungyeol?” asked Hoya as he nudged.

I shot a glare at Hoya and said something that I would only say when I’m very angry.

“If she and I were stuck on an island, I would feed her to the sharks. There is no way that I would fall in love with a brat and idiot person like her. She may be smart but she lacks total common sense,” I said as I walked off because I couldn’t bear watching Sungyeol and Naeun.

Maybe I was too harsh when I said that but Hoya probably knew that I needed to cool down. Anyways, I walked to class and sat at my desk while I covered my face. What is wrong with you, Myungsoo? Why did you feel jealous again? I mean, you despise Naeun but why were you jealous of Sungyeol?

I ruffled my hair as students started to come into the classroom and I saw her with Sungyeol. When she walked off to her friends, I looked at Sungyeol and gave a sigh.

“Since you were hanging out with Naeun our friends came up with a shipping name for you and Naeun. Weird right?” I said chuckling at my words.

“Really? Haha, that’s weird. Anyways, there is nothing going on between Naeun and me,” said Sungyeol.

“Oh really, you were staring at her,” I said.

“Ah...that...well...she lost the pin I gave her. You know, that pin that looked exactly like my screensaver picture,” said Sungyeol as he scratched his head.

“Really? That’s too bad,” I said with no interest even though I had it with me.

I somewhat guilty that I lied but I also didn’t care because I was still somewhat angry about that ‘secret’ meeting he had with Naeun.

While we were in the middle of the lessons, the principal came into the room and pulled our teacher outside. After he pulled our teacher outside, the teacher came in a few minutes later and asked her to step outside. After a few minutes, the only one who stepped into the room was our teacher.

Where was Naeun? I started to feel a little uneasy as I raised my hand and said that Naeun left her stuff asked him if I could bring it to her. The teacher looked at me and told me.

“You better hurry, she ran off no too long ago,” said the teacher as he went back to the lesson.

Naeun’s POV

As I walked out of class, I was smiling a lot and Bomi looked at me like I was a weirdo.

“Naeun, are you okay? You’ve been smiling like an idiot and everyone is staring at you erm...very surprised. You should act like you always act,” said Bomi as we walked to our next class.

“Mianhae, unnie, I’m just... very happy right now. I don’t know why but this secret admirer who gave me this pin makes me smile. Although, I may not know him, it was kind of him to give me such a pin,” I said as I went back to my usual expression, emotionless.

“So do you want to meet this particular secret admirer?” asked Bomi as she gave me a wink and nudge.

I shook my head because Bomi was a diehard romantic. She believes in love at first sight and I would always say that it was probably the cause of hormones. She didn’t believe me at all as she kept telling me that she will meet Mr. Perfect. Once we talk about love at first sight, I can’t stop Bomi and her list of things that her ideal boyfriend should have.

I remember one time when Bomi couldn’t stop talking about this particular guy in our grade because he fit her ideal type. It was during the time when we were cramming for our exams. Out of nowhere the guy she was talking about appeared in the library and then came Bomi’s lecture of her ideal boyfriend. None of us could concentrate as Bomi talked on and on about him. I was ignoring her lecture until she started bothering me in my studies.  I remember exploding and telling her that love wasn’t important in exams. Everyone in Apink was scared at my sudden coldness as I went back to studying. I think I was very cranky that week because of the workload my manager gave me. Anyways, that was two years ago and Bomi improved her skill at assuming when she should talk to me. She knows that I could explode in anger when I was not in the mood.

Anyways, as we walked into the cafeteria, I realized that I needed to meet Sungyeol at the greenhouse. I don’t know why though. He just gave me a note saying that we should meet up at the greenhouse. I told Bomi about this during break because I didn’t know whether I should go or not. I don’t know, usually I have doubts on people and I simply don’t read and use a lot of notes or gifts from my, secret, admirers. I’ve kept them in my room but I haven’t touched them since it was stuffed into my shoe locker.

“Naeun, don’t you have to go somewhere?” asked Bomi as she pointed to the greenhouse.

From where I was standing, I saw someone waiting by the greenhouse and had his lunch with him. He looked somewhat lonely and was trying to find someone.

“You don’t want him to feel rejected, don’t you?” asked Bomi as she pushed me toward the exit of the cafeteria.

“Yah! Bomi unnie! I don’t want to go,” I whined as I tried to stop her from pushing.

“Wae!?! You’re going to leave Sungyeol standing like an idiot?” asked Bomi as she glared at me.

I didn’t know why I didn’t want to go and meet up with Sungyeol  but I decided to go anyway. I sighed and walked toward the greenhouse. I guess I didn’t want him to feel neglected so I walked toward him. He saw me and smiled as he gestured me to come forward.

“Naeun, I thought you were going to leave me standing here like an idiot,” he joked as he sat down by the shade of the tree.

I sat across from him and gave a smile. Bomi was right about Sungyeol. I looked at him as he opened his food and started to take out all the food he had in his bag. Most of them consisted of meat and I do have a craving of meat. I barely eat it because I don’t have that much money so I would eat it occasionally. I tried to stop myself from looking at the meat because now I was craving meat. Taking out my lunch, I ate my food in silence until he broke the silence.

“So, how are your morning classes going?” asked Sungyeol as he ate his food.

“It’s good although I still don’t like the fact that L is in my classes,” I said without showing any emotion.

Sungyeol knew perfectly well who I was outside of school. He knows the hardships I have, even though he doesn’t know about my mother. I remember after that park incident, he decided to take me home. When he walked toward my apartment, he saw how small and bare my apartment was. When I thought he was going to have pity over me, he didn’t. He thought that a girl like me had a lot of courage that I could live by myself. It was weird that he thought living by myself was incredible. I thought that it was the only choice I had after my mom had cancer.

“You and Myungsoo complain about each other a lot. Sometimes I have a feeling that you both would make a good couple,” he joked.

I threw a grape at him and gave a glare. He may be joking but being shipped with Myungsoo was absurd. Even if I was the last girl in the world and I had to choose between Myungsoo and death, I would pick death. Yes, that is how much I despised him. Anyways, he pretended that he got hurt by a grape and laughed.

“Mianhae, I shouldn’t have said that. I was joking though,” he laughed.

“I don’t care if you were joking, I don’t want to be shipped with that no soul jerk,” I whispered as I tried to keep my voice down.

“He does have a soul but he doesn’t show it any girl. I don’t know why but that’s just him,” said Sungyeol.

We went back to eating and as we ate our foods in silence, I felt like Sungyeol was staring at me. I looked up and saw that he was staring at me.

“Why do you keep staring at me?” I asked trying to keep calm.

“You’re not wearing the pin I gave you. Where is it?” he asked.

“I don’t have it with me,” I said trying to keep a straight face. I lost it. I don’t know where it is!

“Can you wear it tomorrow?” he asked as he looked at me.

“I can’t....”I said as I averted his eyes.

“You lost it?” he asked.

Darn it! I hate it when he guesses correctly!

I gave a sigh and nodded silently as I looked at him as his smile started to fade. I’m sorry Sungyeol...I absolutely don’t know where it is. I looked around the places that I usually go to and it’s not there.

“It’s okay, Naeun. I’m sure it will turn up somewhere,” said Sungyeol as he gave a smile.

I gave a half smile and nodded as I started to pack my lunch. He did the same thing. When we both were done packing our things, we both decided to walk to our afternoon classes together. Arriving at our class, I walked toward Chorong and Eunji and waved goodbye to Sungyeol. When I approached them, Chorong and Eunji pulled me toward them as Eunji whispered something.

“I heard from Bomi that Sungyeol ate and talked to you alone. Is it true!?!” whispered Eunji as she glanced at Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

I gave a nod and a shrug because Sungyeol and I were only friends.

“Naeun, when a guy asks to eat alone with you, it means he either has a crush on you or wants to have a secret date with you,” whispered Eunji.

I looked at Eunji like she was crazy. There was no way that Sungyeol had a crush on me. I mean, I’m not pretty. Actually scratch that thought. A lot of L-spirit girls are already bashing me for being close with their ice prince at school just because we are partners for the whole year. I don’t need a mob of Sungyeol fangirls bothering me too.

“No, we were talking about school and I complained about Myungsoo. Also, most of the time it was just silence,” I said trying to crush Eunji’s shipment toward Yeoleun, she calls it.

“Well, Eunji is somewhat right. Anyways, let’s not bother Naeun. She still doesn’t have a crush on someone. Anyways, you should have seen Infinite. They were looking at you and Sungyeol. They started to talk about how you two were really close. They believed that you were closer to him than Myungsoo. Myungsoo was having a hard time eating when he saw you with Sungyeol. I think he was jealous that you were with his best friend,” whispered Chorong.

We sat on our desks when the teacher arrived and started the lesson. As the lessons continued, the vice principal of the school came into our classroom and asked our teacher to step outside for a brief moment. I looked at Chorong and Eunji with worried eyes as most of our classes were spreading rumors about why our teacher was asked to step outside. After a few minutes, the teacher came back inside and asked me to step outside.

I stood up immediately and walked outside. The teacher and the vice president started to explain to me the situation. I didn’t listen to anything they were saying until they said hospital. I immediately ran down stairs because the last thing I heard was there was something wrong with my mother.

****

Naeun got to the front entrance of the school and was about to signal a taxi but realized she didn’t have her stuff.

“Argh! Why didn’t I grab my bag!?! What are you thinking, Naeun!?! How are you going to get there now?” she muttered to herself.

She had no choice as she thought the unthinkable and decided to run to the hospital instead even though she needed to get to the hospital urgently.

While Naeun was trying to run to the hospital, Myungsoo was in the school. He took the elevator down the first floor and asked the main office if Naeun was here. The sectaries said that she ran off after signing out of the school. He bowed to the sectaries and started to walk quickly out of the school. When he got out of the school, he started to run after Naeun. That stupid idiot! If she was in a hurry, shouldn’t she have brought her bag? It has her damn money! Myungsoo saw Naeun as she was running down the street. Aish! This brat is stupid! He finally caught to her and pulled her toward him.

“You idiot! You forgot you bag! Why the heck are you running? If you need to get somewhere, then use a taxi!” he yelled at Naeun.

Naeun didn’t know why Myungsoo was here but she was too preoccupied to argue. She took her bag as she started to signal a taxi.

“Aish, that’s not how you signal a taxi. Do I always have to everything?” muttered Myungsoo as he whistled and yelled for a taxi.

A taxi came and Myungsoo gently pushed Naeun into the taxi. Before Naeun could speak, Myungsoo spoke for her.

“Go to the hospital and make it quick,” said Myungsoo as Naeun looked at him with a dazed face.

How did he know where I wanted to go? Does he know? Wait, how did he even know about my mother? In the taxi, Naeun and Myungsoo sat away from each other as Naeun tried to keep calm. She didn’t want to cry in front of Myungsoo. It’s okay Naeun, umma is fine. She is fine. The principal is lying.

Myungsoo glanced at Naeun and saw how uneasy she was. He knew exactly what she was thinking. She was thinking about her mother and gave a sigh.

“She will be alright. We’re almost there so don’t you dare cry,” whispered Myungsoo as he placed a hand on Naeun’s trembling hands. What the heck am I doing? A total violation what I usually say to her....

Naeun only nodded because she couldn’t think straight. The only thing she was thinking about was her mother. When Myungsoo held her hand, she started to calm down but she was still trembling. Her mother promised that she would try to stay alive until she graduated. She only had two years left. She knew that she was being selfish but without her mother, she was nothing. She believed that she had no reason to live her mother disappeared.

The taxi finally stopped at the hospital. Myungsoo opened the door and helped Naeun out of the taxi. He held onto Naeun’s hand as they ran to the front office of the hospital. Naeun let go of Myungsoo’s hand as she ran up the stairs instead of taking the elevator.

“Please, please please. Please let her stay for two more years,” muttered Naeun as tears fell down her face.

She ran toward room 218 and burst through the door. There she saw her mother smiling at her.

“Umma?” said Naeun as she ran toward her. “You’re okay right? Please, stay alive for two more years. Please!”

Naeun held onto her mother’s hand as she looked at the smile that her mother gave her.

“You said, you will stay with me! You said. You promised. You can make through this, I know you!” said Naeun as tears fell down her eyes.

Son Eunmi caressed her daughter’s hair and gave a sad smile.

“Be a good girl, Naeun. Please okay? I’ll watch over you, in here and up there,” whispered Son Eunmi as she pointed to Naeun’s heart.

She smiled one last time to Naeun and then closed her eyes. The beeping slowly died out until all Naeun heard was one sound. She looked at the machine and saw no waves showed it was just a steady green line.

“Umma?” asked Naeun as she tried to shake her mother. “Umma? I know you’re kidding. Come on, you’re alive. Can you tell me more stories about you and appa?”

Naeun didn’t want to believe that her mother was dead as she kept talking to her mother like she was alive.

Myungsoo walked into the room and saw lifeless mother and a daughter that believed that her mother was still alive. He watched the daughter talk to her lifeless mother. He started to feel something in his heart. He felt regret because he never answered the mother whether or not he promised he would take care of Naeun at her place. As he watched Naeun in horror, he finally realized his answer.

I promise to take care of her so please rest in peace, Son Eunmi sshi.

 


This is a sad update.
Because.....
Today in my school a loved teacher died.
He was a really good teacher.
May he rest in peace.