Chapter 18: The Relationship between the Kims and the Sons

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

Our second year of school ended and my family decided to take a trip to Europe. Well, my mother decided to take a trip to America and Europe. She wanted to get away from this business life. It was also to help decide what abroad college I was going to if I wanted to study for abroad. Since next year would be my last year third and last year of high school.

This year had so many ups and downs. It wasn’t as great like last year. Woohyun and Chorong are the only ones that seemed to feel like the year went smoothly for them. Hoya finally confessed to Eunji on the last day of school. There was no change for Dongwoo, Namjoo, Bomi, Sunggyu, and the maknaes. The most surprising news of the year was Yookyung’s sudden departure from our school. She was chosen to go to a boarding school in the Americas. Apink was so devastated to see their fellow best leave. Hayoung was having a hard time trying to digest the news too.

Anyways the news I really didn’t like about this year was about the brat and my best friend. Sungyeol and Naeun are closer and my relationship with Naeun reclined to being the same like the years before. She was just hard to talk to. After she moved back to her father’s residence, we were nothing more than classmates. Every day we grew father apart the point I only talked to her when I had projects with her. To tell you the truth, I missed her. I missed bickering with her, her glaring face when she got annoyed with me, her smile that she rarely showed. I missed the moments that I was able to spend with her even though they were small moments. Sungyeol and I are best friend but when it came to a girl we liked, we were rivals.

Anyways, I was in my bedroom, packing for the essential things for travel. We were going to stay in America for two weeks and then head to Europe for the rest of my summer vacation. As I was packing my things, umma came into my room.

“Myungsoo, your father decided to stay here in Korea. He won’t be joining us on our trip,” said my mother with a sad face. I knew he would do that.

“So it’s a mother and son trip then,” I said, giving a smile to cheer my mom up.

“No, I want you to invite one of your friends,” said my umma.

“Who? I think all of them are going to busy,” I said.

I didn’t know who to invite because all of them were busy with their love live. Okay, Hoji and WooRong were busy with their love life. I do not want to think about Sungyeol and Naeun being a couple because I might break something.

“Hmm, how about Sungyeol?” asked my mother.

“Mom, he is busy this year. I think he is going to Jeju with his family,” I said.

“How about Sungjong?”

“No.”

“Woohyun?”

“Busy with Chorong.”

“Really? How about Hoya?”

“He is probably with Eunji. They just started dating. We call them the Busan couple,” I said giving a laugh.

“Dongwoo?”

“No, him and his family are going to America with Sunggyu and his family. Their fathers are working on a deal.”

“Well, I have no one except Naeun,” said my mother.

I bit my lower lip when my mother said her name. It’s been a while since I heard umma say her name. The last time she said her name was the time I took care of Naeun because of her fever. I finally answered her after being silent for five minutes.

“No, I don’t have contact with her. I never did after she moved back to her family residence,” I said with a sigh.

My mother pouted and took out her phone.

“Well, that won’t do,” said my mother as she walked out of my room.

What is she up to? It’s not like she can contact Naeun’s father. I followed my mother and walked downstairs, eavesdropping on her conversation. In front of the stairs, was my mother talking to the phone.

“It’s been a while since I talked to you,” said my mother.

What!?! My mother is actually close with Naeun’s father!?!

“I want to ask if I can borrow your daughter for a month. Since she doesn’t work anymore, why doesn’t she get a break?”

You’re kidding right!?! Are you kidding me with mom? You know him and you never told me you had relations with her father. Does Abeoji know about this?

“She needs a break. Yes, I’m bringing my son with me to Europe and America. Are you kidding me? I knew you plan to lock your daughter in that house just because you lost your wife. That’s why you brought her back when you started to realize that my son is always around your daughter. Naeun is an exact replica of your wife. That’s why you want her away from my son. That’s why you brought her back to her residence. Am I right?”

I was speechless with what my mother said. It was like she understood Naeun’s father. I didn’t think she had relations with the chairman of the Son Company of Electronics and Photography.

 “Stop lying. When you heard Eunmi had cancer, you immediately requested doctors to help her. You had forgotten about your daughter’s existence and only cared about your wife. You only moved Naeun to a better school because it was request of your wife, not the benefit of your daughter. How dare you say that you understand your daughter when you haven’t spoken to her for nearly six years! She suffered that much isolation and pain. I would say that my son had taken care of her much better than you, the parent of Naeun.”

My mother knows Eunmi and Naeun’s father. What is the relationship between those three?

“I suggest you to take a look at your daughter. Understand how she feels with your sudden decisions because you clearly don’t understand her at all. I am done reasoning with you because I don’t want to argue about this. I will have my butler by the door at the gate. If you agree to let her free for one summer, you will have Naeun have her things packed in front of the gate,” said my mother.

She got off the phone and then turned my direction. She looked up and saw me standing on the steps.

“I guess I shouldn’t hide the relations anymore. Come to my room, I shall tell you,” said my mother as she walked passed me toward her room.

I followed her and decided it was best to understand what the real deal was with my parents.

 

Naeun’s POV

Okay, this is very boring. I don’t know what to do in this house. I always studied at home and worked on school work but now it’s the start of summer. Everyone is busy and I don’t know what to do. Sungyeol oppa is going to Japan. WooRong is busy together as well as HoJi. I didn’t think that Hoya would develop feelings for my unnie. She is just a sweet person. I can’t believe she is already taken. What’s even more devastating was the fact that Yookyung chose to go to America for this prestigious boarding school. It was a special boarding school because it also was a University. She was basically going to college. I’m going to miss Yookyung so much as well as Hayoung. Those two are really close like how Chorong and I are close.

Anyways, I sat in my room, drawing. Abeoji changed my room to make it look like a library and art room in some sort. When I first came here, I was really against it but now I’m just enjoying life. The problem is that I don’t leave my room often. It was because this place was basically the size of my apartment. I cooked my own dinner and refused when a maid told me that it was their job to cook me a meal. My mother taught me not to be a spoiled child and told me to be practical. I also felt bad for the maids because it seemed that they barely got a break for cleaning. My cousins were disgusted by my behavior when they came over during the holidays.

Although I may like my room, I still didn’t get along with my father. He was basically another man of mysteries. He keeps hiding things about me. One time, I decided to finally explore the place because I was done studying. I remember some parts of the residence but all is still unknown to me. When I found my mother’s room, my heart sank because I knew her gentle voice wouldn’t soothe me anymore. Her appearance was not going to comfort me anymore. I held onto the handle of the door and was stopped by my father. His hands were trembling, probably with anger, as he threatened me.

“Never go into that room, ever,” he growled.

I still remembered that sentence as I draw. It was a scary sentence. I never ever went near his office. I felt like I would only bother him. As the only child, I felt lonely. He set many rules too and some were:

  • One: I’m not allowed to leave the gate once I arrive home from school.
  • Two: Never invite anyone that belonged to the Kim Corporation.
  • Three: Do not talk about my mother.
  • Four: The home phone is off limits unless it’s school related.
  • Five: Do not talk to Kim Myungsoo, the son of the chairman.
  • Six: I have to give my cell phone to my father and check if I communicated with Kim Myungsoo because he doesn’t allow me to speak to him.
  • Six: The only work I have is the work that my family company gives me.
  • Seven: Study and attain that first position.
  • Eight: I am not to date anyone. [Like I’ll date someone.]
  • Nine: Act like a Son [HOW!?!]
  • Ten: I am not allowed to go out with my friends unless my father knows who they are.

I swear this place is a prison than a house. It was the reason why I stayed in my room most of the time. I hacked into the main computer of this house and set a different passcode in my room so that no maid or butler will bother me. All they have to do is to knock and speak to me in order spend time in my room. My room is like my place that I can get away from Abeoji. No one can change the passcode unless they consult me. It was basically a separate code from the rest of the house.

When I finished drawing, I heard yelling and screaming from my father. I forgot to mention that my father’s room is close to mine. His room was basically down the hallway. Anyways, I walked down the hallway and eavesdropped in to the conversation.

 “I want to ask if I can borrow your daughter for a month. Since she doesn’t work anymore, why doesn’t she get a break?”

“No, I’m not letting her leave this house. Plus, she wouldn’t leave this house anyway because one of the rules that I gave to her was not to leave the gate once she entered it,” said my father.

She? Is this referring to me? Who is he talking to?

“Don’t bring your son and my wife into this conversation! That is not the reason why I brought her back into the residence. I missed her so much and I never saw her since. I noticed that she was suffering with her job also. I couldn’t help but bring her back into the house. Also, she wanted to go back too so that’s why I let her stay here. Yes, I miss my wife but I miss them both. Naeun is a part of my life as well as my wife.”

So it is about me. Her son? Kim Myungsoo? I miss that guy. Even at school we grew apart and were only strangers to each other, classmates. Our interactions were secretive. Lee Sungyeol?  I don’t really miss him. I spent a lot of time with him. Although I will probably miss him during this summer since he is going to Japan for the whole summer. I listened to the rest of the conversation. That is a lie! I was forced to come here because you made that resignation letter! How dare you lie to the person that you’re talking to? Yeah right! You forgot that I existed until umma died.

My father didn’t speak as I tried to listen hard on who was yelling at the phone. He wasn’t answering the speaker back. The only thing I heard was bags and packing, and gate. I didn’t understand it as I jazz stepped into my room. I closed the door slowly so that my father didn’t notice that I was eavesdropping. Right now, I wanted to know who my father was talking to. I had two guesses right now. It was either Mistress Kim or Sungyeol’s mother. My father was close to Sungyeol’s company but that wouldn’t have trigger my dad to bring me back here.

Hmm, I think it’s he was taking to Mistress Kim. Wait, he was talking to L’s mother!?! How?

I stopped thinking when someone was banging my door. I opened the door and there stood my father. He looked rather angry and told the maid to pack my bags. He then went back into his room and locked the door.

“Why are you packing my bags? I thought I already live here,” I said, trying to understand what was going on.

“I’m sorry Naeun sshi but I don’t know why either. All I was ordered was to pack your bags for tomorrow and help you dress for tomorrow,” said the maid.

“Why?”

“I don’t know. He also said to place your bags by the gate and for you to stand there,” said the maid.

I didn’t understand what was going on as I went to bed. I was done for today because my brain was flooded with questions that weren’t answered.

****

Back at the Kim Residence, Myungsoo sat on his mother’s bed to listen to his mother’s story. Mistress Kim smiled at Myungsoo as she told him how she first met Naeun’s mother.

“It was back in second grade that I met Naeun’s mother, Eunmi. Eunmi is a sweat person. She is very kind and innocent. When it came to love she was very oblivious. All the guys would ask her out and she would say no and apologize for making them fall for her. I noticed it why looking at Naeun even though she mostly had her father’s stoic personality. Anyways, Eunmi and I grew up and became best friends. When we were on our first year of middle school, Naeun’s father had finally showed up into our lives. He is similar to your personality in school,” said Mistress Kim.

“What!?! How do you know about how I act in school?” asked Myungsoo.

“So you never changed that personality of yours since middle school, I see.”

“I guess so, I’ve stuck to this personality because of the fangirls and them always swooning over me. I stopped talking to girls after fifth grade because they were all crowding around me, most of the time. Naeun is different. It’s like she ignores my existence,” said Myungsoo, giving a sigh.

“That’s Naeun’s mother in the similar way. Anyways, let’s go back to the story.”

“Arraso.”

“Naeun’s father had fangirls on his first day. Everyone was swarming over him until he met us. He found us to be practical helpers. The girls envied us because we were close to him every time. All three of us set a promise that we wouldn’t beak our friendship bond until High School came. During the second year of high school, Naeun’s father had developed feelings for Naeun’s mother while I developed feelings for Naeun’s father. Eunmi had no feelings at all. All of the anonymous gifts that Eunmi would get were from Naeun’s father. I was jealous because Eunmi didn’t notice that Naeun’s father loved her and I wanted to be like Eunmi. I even yelled at Eunmi to realize that Naeun’s father loved her. She couldn’t believe it until the confession. Naeun’s father went toward Eunmi and confessed to her. Eunmi rejected him and apologized. The next day after the confession, Naeun’s father was bitter. He went toward me and asked me out even. I agreed because I was so in love with him. Eunmi clapped and was happy for me and Naeun’s father. Naeun’s father started to fall for me and we were in love.

“We dated until the first semester of college. That’s when I heard that Naeun’s father was going to study abroad. Eunmi already left us that time to go abroad. He said that we would go back together once he comes back from studying abroad. It was graduation for Naeun’s father and I was invited to go to America and I went because I wondered if he still had feelings for me. After the graduation, I went to look for him and there I saw him holding hands and it was Eunmi. I was jealous and felt betrayed so I flew back to Korea. There, I met your father. I completely ignored Naeun’s father and Eunmi. I blocked their numbers too. Eventually, your father and I be wedded and I didn’t invite Naeun’s father and Eunmi. I felt guilty for not inviting them when I remembered promising Eunmi that we would invite each other to our weddings. Also, I didn’t love your father. I was still in love with Naeun’s father.

“I met Eunmi at a business convention with your father too. I tried to avoid her until she caught me at the concession stand. I broke into tears and apologized for not telling her about the wedding. I thought she was going to yell at me but she smiled and said I was forgiven. I felt like one of my burdens was lifted but there was still one burden left. I married a man that I didn’t love. I told Eunmi about Naeun’s father and how I still loved him. She sighed and told me that Naeun’s father was devastated that I married your father.That’s how the rivalry happened between your father and my father. Your father only wanted to be a monopoly while Naeun’s father wanted me to go to him. He wanted to bankrupt our company by buying a lot of our stocks. Eunmi was his secretary. I still felt guilty for marrying your father that time.

“When you were born, that’s when everything changed. I realized that you were born for a reason. I wanted to raise you so that you wouldn’t see how much burden and guilt I have and the trouble I caused to your father and Naeun’s father. I love your father now because of you. You are my hope on changing the Kim Corporation. I want to see peace with the Sons,” said Mistress Kim as tears fell down her face.

Myungsoo tried to understand as he looked at his mother crying. He nodded but there was something that missing. Why is Naeun being kept away from me?

“Umma, you still haven’t explained some things. Does Naeun’s father still love you? Did he marry Eunmi the same way like you married Abeoji? Why is Naeun being locked up? Also, why doesn't he like me near Naeun? And is the rivalry still going?”

Mistress Kim smiled and stopped her tears and looked at her son.

“Naeun’s father married Eunmi because she was his light. He married her because she was his comfort. Yes, eventually he fell in love with her. I don't think the rivalry is because of me. I think it's because Naeun's father doesn't want your appa to achieve his goal. Again, I think it's just business now, nothing about me. Eunmi loved him as much as he loved her. She didn’t regret anything and lived a good life, no? I guess when Eunmi died of cancer; Naeun’s father’s world crumbled and tried to find his light again. He eventually found it when he saw Naeun again. I guess the reason why Naeun is being locked up because he doesn’t want his light to go. He doesn't like you because the arrange marriage proposal that your father suggested for you and Naeun. His light is Eunmi and Naeun is a replica of Eunmi, despite her stoic personality.”

“So why are you bringing her along with us to Europe?” asked Myungsoo.

“Well, Naeun is trapped in that house by her father’s despair. He probably placed a lot of rules about her not conversing, talking, or visiting us. We’re probably not invited. Also, she probably wasn’t allowed to go outside either unless it’s school related. I called him because even though we both had a rough past, we’re still friends. I wanted Naeun to experience a relaxing vacation,” smiled Mistress Kim.

Myungsoo nodded as he walked into his room. He couldn’t believe that him and Naeun was basically their light and hope. He didn’t understand it but he guessed it was fate that him and Naeun met. He didn’t understand why he was happy. It was probably because Naeun was his for the summer and there was no interference with Sungyeol. He stopped smiling when he realized that Naeun’s father was still an obstacle. He went to bed with a hope that Naeun was standing by the gate with her things packed for tomorrow.

****

The next morning, Naeun sat on her luggage in front of the gate like her father told her. She didn’t understand anything and why she was here. The guard by the gate didn’t even speak to her when she tried to start a conversation. She sighed and looked up in the clouds, trying to find shapes that she recognized.

Suddenly, a car came by in front of the gate. The one who came out was no other than Kim Myungsoo and his father’s manager.

“It’s been a while since we met each other outside of school,” said Myungsoo as he gave a smirk.

“What do you want?” said Naeun.

She was definitely not in the mood today.

“Oh nothing, just your luggage and you. Yes you, you’re staying with me for the rest of summer vacation."


So what do you think?
If you're confused, please comment below,
Now you know why there is a rivalry between the Sons and Kims.
At first it's because of Mistress Kim but now, the second reason is unknown.
Plese comment, subscribe or both.
TT I thank my 55 subscribes <3
you guys are the best.
silent readers -- please comment or I shall place this as a subscribers only. ==*
I ISH GOING TO BE ON A HIATUS FOR 3 WEEKS ^^""
Vacation and SAT prep TT
Sowwie.