Chapter 10: Hardships

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

After that stupid yelling, I couldn’t go back to sleep. I watched her silhouette leave for the bathroom and closed my eyes. Suddenly, I heard my mother talking to her. Really, umma? Really? Asking her to go breakfast with you?....That’s just great.

I pretended to go back to sleep when I saw her shadowing approaching me. When I felt her shadow covering me, I closed my eyes. Suddenly, I felt a pillow thrown to my face. That brat! How dare she!?! Aish! Why is still here? I covered myself with my pillow and told her to leave me alone. Suddenly, I felt a presence next to me. After that I heard her whine, and it was annoying. I just wanted to shut her up especially when I’m very cranky or grumpy in the morning. When she reached my limit, I screamed on the top of my lungs and told her that I’m awake. After I was awake, I walked outside.

When I got to the dining room, I saw my mother looking somewhat disappointed in me.

“Why were you in Naeun’s room last night?” she asked.

Crap....I knew this would happen. I had to think of something but I knew she probably would see through my lie so I told the truth.

““I was in there last night because I needed to check up on Naeun while you and Abeoji were arguing. When I was in there, I saw her constantly moving side to side. I didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, she grabbed the hem of my shirt and took my arm and suddenly held my hand. Apparently, she thought I was her mother or something. When I tried to grab my hand away from her, she only held tighter,” I said to my mother.

My mother looked at me with a smile. I didn’t understand why. It was all for my classmate but I still hated her. If her mother didn’t die, this wouldn’t have happened.

“She probably doesn’t remember so it’s best to keep this a secret between us. Also, when the funeral date for her mother is decided, we are to be respectful and go since you were the one that helped her. It’s basically thanking her mother,” said my mother.

I nodded and yawned because I barely got enough sleep last night. I hope this won’t happen again. I sat close to my mother and waited for Naeun. I saw our maid guiding her and I ate my breakfast without glancing at Naeun.

My mother told Naeun to sit in front of me as I didn’t like the idea. I already have a feeling that my mother was interested in Naeun. She started to ask her questions about when I met her. When she said that we both met the day when I befell a ranking, I felt like I was shot by a bullet.

Suddenly, my mom starting to tell her that it was the first time that I brought a girl home and it made me choke on my food. My mother would never say those things in front of the guests my father brings, why Naeun? Of all people, why her!?! I interrupted my mother and we started to have a debate over this.

Suddenly, we were both interrupted by Naeun’s sudden message. My mother was about to say something but I watched Naeun leave for the door.

“Chase after if you want her to stay,” said my mother.

I scoffed at my mother and gave an annoyed look. Naeun and I were simply classmates but nothing more. I finished my food and left for the living room. When I walked by the table, I saw an usb drive and a note underneath. It said:

I finished the project. I wrote it two days ago. I thought you were busy with work so I wrote it. If we have to present this, just read it. Also, you better check my grammar. If you want to change it a little bit then be my guess but not too much. I want to be able to understand it too.

-N.S.

I took the usb drive and read over the story, giving a sigh that I did nothing for this project.

 

Naeun’s POV

I watched him ignore me as he went back to sleep. I was going to throw another pillow at him but I decided it was best if I just left. One, I needed to check if my father got my mother’s body out of the hospital. Two, I just needed to leave because I already caused him so much trouble probably. When I stood next to the bed, I realized that I wasn’t wearing my school uniform but a night gown.

What is this? I looked at the mirror and gave a sigh because I needed to find my uniform. When I found my uniform on the end of my bed, I took it and went the bathroom. All I’m going to say that for a guest room, this felt like an apartment. When I got out of the bathroom with my uniform on, there stood a woman that looked surprised.

“Ah, you’re awake. Don’t you want to stay for breakfast?” asked the nice woman.

I shook my head and bowed in front of her.

“Thank you but it’s best if I should leave,” I said not looking at her.

“Aniya, it’s best if you eat breakfast. I take no for an answer. What is your name dear?” asked the woman.

“Son Naeun, ma’am.”

“So you’re the famous girl that has beaten my son’s ranking for the past four years now. Well, Son Naeun, you can call me Mistress Kim,” said Myungsoo’s mom.

Did she just say son!?! I’m talking to L’s mother! Oh my gawd...I really can’t leave this house until she can let me.

“Um, Mistress Kim sshi, I...um...need to leave though. It’s an urgent because it involves with my work,” I said politely.

“You can leave, after breakfast. Also, can you wake up Myungsoo for me? I’m very surprised he slept here yesterday. See you at breakfast,” said Myungsoo’s mother as she left the room.

Now, I know where L’s personality mostly comes from. His stubbornness comes from his mother and his anger mostly comes from his father. Thus, it makes him a soulless jerk named L. Wow, L really fits him because he is part of Death Note....Ugh, I guess I have to wake up L now....

I walked toward the sleeping figure and gave a sigh. I took a pillow and threw it at him.

“Wake up, soulless jerk,” I said as I watched him sleep once again. Wow, now I’m acting soulless.

“No...Can you see me that I’m trying to sleep since you ruined it with your screaming?” muttered Myungsoo as he covered the blanket over him.

Ugh, do I really have to bend down and bother him that way? This in violation in my actions! I knelt down and sat next to him and started to bother him.

“Wake up...Wake up. Wake up. Wake up!” I whined as I started to shake him.

After three minutes later, I was pushed to the side and there sat up a grumpy person.

“ALRIGHT! I’M AWAKE! JUST SHUT UP ALREADY! YOUR WHINY VOICE IS ANNOYING!” he yelled as he stood up and walked outside in anger.

Well, that was an accomplishment but at the same time I’m angry that he pushed me. I shook the thought away and walked outside of the guest room. When I walked out of the guest room, a maid was there. I bowed at the maid and asked her if she could guide me to the dining room. I got the dining room and felt like I was in some ballroom because it was very spacious. You could host a party in the dining room if L ever wanted to. I saw L talking to his mother and something inside of me ached. My mother was no longer with me so seeing L with his mother made me sad. Mistress Kim waved the maid goodbye and asked me to sit down across from L. I sat across from L and looked down at my food.

I wasn’t hungry actually even though I haven’t really eaten since yesterday’s lunch. For some reason, I lost my appetite. I felt like someone was staring at me and I realized it was Myungsoo’s mother.

“So Naeun, when did you meet my son?” she asked.

“Umma, why ask that question? I met her-”

“Shush, eat your food. I asked Naeun.”

“I met him when I got first on my exams. I haven’t really spoken to your son since this year, actually,” I said as I ate little bites of the food on my plate.

“I thought it would be interesting since Myungsoo never brought a girl home until tonight,” she said.

I almost choked on my food when she said that as I drank my milk rather quickly. I glanced at Myungsoo and saw him doing the same thing.

“Umma! I told you it’s because I didn’t know where she lived. Also, she was sleeping. This was an emergency. Also, Naeun and I are classmates and that’s it, ” said Myungsoo as he gritted his teeth when he said my name. Was it hard to say it? Do you hate me that much? Why am I thinking about this? I hate him too.

“I know~ I found it interesting that you brought a rival home,” said my mother.

“Umma, her mom died and I didn’t know what to do,” said Myungsoo as he was protesting against his mother.

I silently sat there and watched the playful quarrel against son and mother. My heart started to ache because this reminded me about how my mother and I used to be.

“Ah, I think it’s best if I left now. Thank you for the breakfast,” I said while bowing to Myungsoo’s mother.

I didn’t even look at Myungsoo and his mother as I took my school bag and walked toward the door. Shoot! I have to give him the project. I should leave a note.

I placed an usb drive by the table near the door and underneath was the note that said that I finished the project and that he had to check my grammar mistakes. After that, I left quickly before his mother could stop me.

When I was outside, I realized that I was at a mansion so their area is huge. I walked quickly down toward the front gate and asked them to open the gates. They didn’t argue with me so they opened the gates. Near the gates, I vowed to myself not to ever speak about this again. Even though my heart aches for my mother, I almost promised to myself not to get close to Myungsoo. If I got any closer, it would only cause me to look weak in front of him.

As I walked away from his mansion, I began to think about my schedule. Today was probably going to be a scowling day for me. It’s because yesterday, I forgot to show up to work. Oh well, I seem to have the worst of luck, anyways.

****

Three weeks had passed since Son Eunmi’s death and Naeun still is not her usual self. In school, she barely eats or talks to her friends. Instead, she reads books alone in the library. The rest of Apink are starting to worry for her. Chorong, especially, doesn’t know what is wrong with Naeun. It’s like she no longer is the Naeun she knew. At lunch, Chorong went over to the Infinite table and asked to talk to Sungyeol privately because of Naeun.

“Sungyeol! Do you know what is wrong with Naeun? She’s been lifeless lately. I don’t know what is wrong with her. Every day, I try to talk to her and I get a response that she is fine or just facts about the homework. It’s like something happened that her happiness away,” said Chorong.

“I don’t know! I’ve been trying to talk to Naeun during class. We’ve been passing notes sometimes but I get the same responses like she is fine or she is busy,” said Sungyeol.

Chorong gave a sigh as she walked back to the Apink table in disappointment. Sungyeol walked back and saw a jealous Woohyun talking to him about Chorong.

“What did she ask you? Do you have a crush on her? You better not! You have Naeun!” said Woohyun.

“Woohyun hyung, calm down! Chorong is still yours. We were talking about Naeun and her drastic change in emotion. What the heck!?! I don’t have a crush on her!” said Sungyeol.

“I noticed that! What happened to her? It’s like she is nothing but a lifeless doll,” said Hoya as he was eating his sushi.

“That’s the point! We’ve trying to figure it out but we don’t know what is causing this. Myungsoo, do you know?” said Sungyeol.

“Nope, don’t ask me,” lied Myungsoo as he was reading something on his phone. As if I will go back to replaying that memory again. I don’t want to do anything with her. It’s her problem and I plan to keep her that way.

Sungyeol gave a sigh because he knew that Myungsoo wouldn’t care about Naeun. He didn’t know why Myungsoo suddenly ignored Naeun. Even though they fought, Naeun and Myungsoo would talk but all of the sudden, they ignored each other’s presence. They would pass by each other like they were nothing but ghosts. He didn’t understand what happened that day but he knew there was something that Myungsoo wasn’t telling him.

He glanced at the Apink table and saw that Naeun was there. Maybe she is in the library?

Myungsoo glanced at Sungyeol and saw that he was leaving.

“Where are you going Sungyeol?” he asked as he placed his phone in his pocket.

“I’m going to the library because of Naeun. I have to know, Myungsoo. Every day, I see her worse than usual. I want to help her overcome her sadness,” said Sungyeol as he left for the library.

Myungsoo watched Sungyeol leave as he was deciding to go or stay. Instead, he decided to stay in the cafeteria.

While Myungsoo and the rest of Infinite were in the cafeteria, Sungyeol arrived at the library looking for Naeun. Naeun was crying by the window sill in the library. She said that it was her favorite spot in the library because no one could find her there. She didn’t want people to find her because she was already causing too much attention to her disinterest in the things she loved.

Aish, Naeun why do you even cry? I thought you were stronger than that. Give yourself a break already, mom died 3 weeks ago. Why do you still mourn for her? Why? She took out of her schedule and looked at her work and gave a sigh. She was given double amount of work and the same amount of pay again. She shouldn’t have told her manager that her mother died. She shouldn’t have.

After she left Myungsoo’s house, she walked back to her apartment to change her clothes. When she was done changing out of her uniform, she headed back to the city for her work place. When she got there, she was approached by her angry manager and listened to her punishment.

“HOW DARE YOU NO SHOW UP TO WORK YESTERDAY!?!” yelled the manager.

“I was in the hospital-”

“It doesn’t matter! You still didn’t show up to work!”

“My mother died! How can I not be at the hospital!?!” said Naeun as she tried not to raise her voice.

“You shouldn’t have stayed at the hospital if your mother died then. Since your mother died then there is no need to be there anymore. Your excuses are now invalid and you will have time to work for me now. I know you Naeun, no matter how much you want to escape this job, you will come back this place. This is how desperate you are with this job,” said the manager as she gave a smirk.

Naeun didn’t look at the manager as she took her stuff and started to clean. She hated that place but she knew that the manager was right about her. She couldn’t leave that place because it was her only source of income.

As she worked on the grocery store, her manager doubled her shifts and time. Every day she started to become busier and busier. She started to go to sleep later than usual. Eventually, Naeun becomes an all-nighter most of the nights and sleeps between periods.

Anyways, as she was crying and sulking about her situation, Sungyeol finally found Naeun.

“Naeun?” he asked as he approached her.

Naeun looked up and saw it was Sungyeol and tried to dry her tears quickly. She didn’t want him to see her tears.

“Naeun, have you been crying all this time?” asked Sungyeol as he sat next to her on the window sill.

Naeun only gave a nod toward Sungyeol. Sungyeol hugged Naeun as he caressed her hair.

“Why are you crying?” he asked. “You haven’t been yourself lately,” he whispered.

“My mother...she died 3 weeks ago. I’m fine with that but I’m frustrated and tired and stressed because my manager has doubled my working times and now I’m coming home late and I barely sleep now because of it,” said Naeun as she cried.

“Shh, I don’t know how it feels but I can imagine the pain you had to go through. Just sleep, I’ll take you to the nurse’s office. She might excuse you for afternoon classes,” said Sungyeol.

While Sungyeol was trying to calm down Naeun, there was someone that was watching them. He decided it was best to check up on Sungyeol and Naeun. When he saw them together, felt that sudden feeling that he had when Naeun wore Sungyeol's pin. He seemed very irritated as he watched them so close like they were a couple. He especially hated the fact that Sungyeol had his hands around Naeun like she couldn’t support herself. She was perfectly fine. He felt guilty for not being the one to stand near as he sighed. He kicked his present gentle toward her bag and left the room. Instead the present was money and also a few job listings that would give better pay than her grocery job. Stupid, you should have given this to her before he found her. Stupid! As he remains anonymous, he walks to his afternoon class. 

 


FINALLY! SCHOOL ENDS TOMORROW <3
That means there will be more updates this summer =3
Also, this chapter wasn't as good like the last two chapters ^^"
Sorry for placing Yeoleun again. Although Myungsoo is too stubborn to admit that he likes her.
Also, he believes that he is not jealous for Sungyeol and Naeun >.>  
Sowwie if I'm making you sad >.<