Chapter 25: Surprise

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

We spent a lot of time chasing each other before we go to the restaurant. I was glad that Naeun would smile at me like she would to Sungyeol. It made me feel like I was her friend. . . .I’m not really pleased with what she said. Like I said to her, I will try to find a way to make her fall in love with me. I don’t want to lose her just because her father was blocking my path to get to her.

Anyways, the date was nice. I was able to get my phone back after taking her sketchbook and started to open the book slightly, pretending to take a peek at a page. She gave me her infamous glare and I gave a smirk toward her. We exchanged our valuable things and from there everything was not important. We finished our dinner and walked back to the apartment.

Now, I’m looking back at what happened and I couldn’t believe that trip went by so fast. It’s already the last week of summer and Naeun was back at that prison. It’s weird though. At the last day we were together alone in Europe, I was able to be close to her. We were walking around Moscow and taking a stroll of the place. We visited museums and even Ivan the Terrible’s church, of course it was hard to talk people because we couldn’t speak Russian but a good friend of mine was our guide. When we were at the restaurant, I glanced at Naeun and saw her melancholy face. I couldn’t tell why she was sad so I asked her.

“Naeun, why are you sad?”

She looked at me with those brown eyes and gave a sigh.

“We have to go back to reality soon. To be honest, I had fun and I learned a lot about you. Also, we’re no longer bickering that much like we did back then. I kind of miss it.”

“Oh really? Should I act like I used to act before?” I asked while tilting my head.

“Aniyo, I want you to act like yourself and that’s all I want,” nodded Naeun.

She then gave her smile and I chuckled while drinking my tea. After eating, we boarded the train and waved goodbye to our friend. We then arrived back to Poland and from there we headed back to Korea. When we arrived at Korea, I remember her face when she saw her father standing there looking for her. It was like her world crumbled and so did mine. She was no longer within my grasp as she looked at me and said sad words that I didn’t want to hear but it was true.

“L, I’ll see you in school then. Good luck in your studies and finish your homework. It was a nice trip and hope you get accepted in your college,” she said as she left with her father.

Her hand slipped away from my hands and there I watched her disappear with her father. When I came home at my place, I saw my umma’s smile disappear.

“So her father picked her up from the airport?”

“Yeah, I don’t mind.”

“SO~ How was the trip?” asked my mom as she asked the maids to place my luggage in my room.

“It was okay, I guess,” I said, going back to my regular personality.

“Yah! I worked hard on that trip. At least tell me how it was,” said my mother as she reached for my camera.

I widened my eyes and tried to stop her from taking my camera but it was too late. My mom saw the amount of pictures I took with Naeun. My favorite picture was taken by a sweet French citizen. She took a picture of Naeun and me were hugging each other in front of the Eiffel Tower. I covered myself with a pillow and waited for my mom to tease me. She looked back at me and smiled.

“So you did have fun. Don’t worry, I won’t say anything,” laughed my mother as she placed my camera on my desk and walked off.

I gave a smile that day and now I’m back to reality after my father made me work again. Anyways, tomorrow is the start of my last year in high school. The last year and I hope to catch Naeun’s attention.

 

Naeun’s POV

I sat at my desk in my bedroom like usual. It’s been a week since I’ve locked myself in my room. It’s horrible and I wanted to go outside. I would go outside occasionally but ever since I got back from the trip, Abeoji isolated our family from the world. He barely had his co-workers come over. The only source of news he has if he goes to work while I’m stuck here with guards surrounding the house. I don’t understand this nonsense.

I threw a book across the room because this house has a dark atmosphere and it’s getting worse. When I threw the book, I realized it was my sketchbook. I ran toward where the sketchbook and saw photo pictures coming out of the sketchbook.

While I was picking up my sketchbook, I saw the strip of paper and saw it was the photos I took with L when were in New York together. I gave a smile and opened toward the page it came out and saw a sketch of L holding the camera.

I still use his pencil case that he gave me but I’ve been in my room the whole time so most of my drawings were paper and other things you would see in a bedroom. I missed him. I wonder how L is doing right now. I still haven’t called L, Myungsoo yet and it still makes me wonder if I will ever call him that.

Mom, how are you? Can you lend me a hand? I want to enjoy a little light or lend Abeoji some light. He’s been miserable for a while. I closed my eyes and clutched my sketchbook because it had so many memories from the first day of school to the last day. Even though I also had a schedule book, this sketchbook had many of my memories.

While I was thinking about Myungsoo, I hear banging at the door. I opened my eyes and sighed as I opened the door and there stood my father. I didn’t understand why he looked weary.

“Abeoji, are you okay?” I asked.

“I want you to get out of your room.”

I looked at him with an emotionless face and shook my head. I refused because this place was my sanctuary. There was no way I would ask to leave this place unless I needed.

“I said get out of your room,” my father said firmly.

“Aniyo. The only place where I have time to relax and you’re taking it away.”

“There is someone downstairs.”

“I’ll go down later once I change.”

I was a little surprised that someone was there. I nodded and closed the door, trying to dress in my casual clothing. When I was done changing, I walked downstairs.

There, I saw a guy that was familiar. He was a guy that I’m glad to befriend. His name is Lee Sungyeol.

“Sungyeol? What are you doing here?” I asked as I ran downstairs and hugged him.

“I came back from Japan. My dad wanted to talk to your dad and brought me along. Your father saw me and I guess he asked you to greet me?” laughed Sungyeol.

“I’m glad you’re back. It’s boring without my unnies. I haven’t talked to my clique for a while now. Also, did you grow another 10 cm?”

Sungyeol laughed and looked at me. It made my heart ache because he reminds me of L. I tried to shake the thought away as Sungyeol and I walked into the living room and started to talk about our summer vacation.

“So where did you go this summer?” asked Sungyeol.

“Me? Well, I went around United States. I saw my mother’s college. I’m trying to get into this international school of business. Oh, I also went to Europe. We traveled a lot of places.”

“Wow, who did you go with?”

Sungyeol drank his tea as he looked at me while I spoke. When he asked me that question, I felt like my heart ached once again. What is wrong with me?

“Well, I um. . .I was with L the whole time.”

Sungyeol widened his eyes and spit his tea into his tea while he coughed.

“You were with L this summer!?! Alone!?!”

“Yeah. . .what’s wrong with that?”

“I didn’t think you two would get along together since both of your despise each other.”

“Actually, this trip was weird. We became friends. And also. . .”

Sungyeol watched me as I played with my fingers, not looking at him any longer.

“And what, Naeun?”

“He loves me.”

“WHAT!?! SINCE WHEN!?!”

“He confessed to me while we were at London.”

It was awkward reactions but suddenly, Sungyeol looked grim. The smile that made him look like a choding, now looks sad.

“Sungyeol? Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. I need to go check on my dad. I’ll be back.”

Sungyeol left me and I felt like he liked me for some reason. He walked into the conference room that both of our parents were in and I gave a sigh as I sat in the living room, waiting for him to come out.

****

Sungyeol felt jealousy when he said that Naeun was Myungsoo all this summer. He wished that he had time to be with her but he was busy in Japan. He still couldn’t believe that his best friend was with the girl he likes. He saw Naeun’s face when she talked to him about the trip especially, when he saw her face talking about L. He saw her smile that he usually shows to her. It was like she had feelings for him. Sungyeol shook his head as he walked toward the conference room. Suddenly, he was about to interrupt them but something caught his ear.

“I’ve been wondering this but since we’re good co-workers and also you’re close with the Kims. I’m thinking of arranging a marriage with my daughter and their son,” said Naeun’s father.

“It’s your choice but I suggest being careful with the Kims. I thought you were going to arrange a marriage with your daughter and my son?” asked Sungyeol’s father.

“I’m trying to choose between your son and the Kims’ son. This is, of course, if Naeun decides to stay in Korea. Her choice is still trying to travel abroad to NYU, the same school that her mother and I went to.”

“Well, I suggest the Kims’ son, Myungsoo but I don’t mind if it’s my son since their relationship is close. Also, it will benefit our companies even if she marries my son or Kim Myungsoo.”

Sungyeol backed away from the door. He couldn’t believe his father was already planning his love life. He didn’t mind because it’s with Naeun but he didn’t know how Naeun would take it. He walked back toward the living room and saw Naeun, looking through her sketchbook. He saw a page and it was a page of L holding a camera. He gave a sad smile and wondered if she did like him. He shook the though away and determined to get her heart. He walked toward her and sat next to her.

“So did you talk to you father?” asked Naeun as she closed her book.

“Yeah, he’s talking about businesses.”

“Of course they would, silly,” shook Naeun head as she flicked his forehead.

Before Naeun could flick his forehead, he grabbed her arm and looked at her eyes. Naeun didn’t understand as she tilted her head.

“What’s wrong, Yeollie?” asked Naeun.

“Nothing,” said Sungyeol as he pulled her closer until she was close to face.

“Sung-Sung-Sungyeol!” yelled Naeun as she pushed him away.

She covered her face and hoped that he didn’t see her blush. She did’t understand why Sungyeol was acting weird. They started to playfully hit each other after that. While they were fighting, both Sungyeol and Naeun’s fathers came out of the conference paper. Naeun and Sungyeol stopped and looked at their fathers.

Naeun’s father cleared his throat as he spoke.

“Naeun, you are now engaged to Sungyeol.”

Naeun’s world stopped after she heard the word engaged. She no longer could be close to Myungsoo while Sungyeol hid his happiness underneath his stoic face.


TT This will be slow replies. D=
School is hitting me hard. TT WAI SCHOOL!
WAE!?!?!
Anyways, I might have to adjust my schedule to updates every other week D=