Prologue

Fated Promise

Back in Middle School

Myungsoo's POV

I sat in class 1A, watching Sunggyu hyung delivers his class representative speech. It was boring but everyone seemed fascinated with what he was saying.  I didn’t mind it, although, I wanted to leave the classroom. I wasn’t fond of sitting in class all day. I could probably leave class if I wanted to because I’m ranked one in the whole school.

When the bell rang, girls began to surround my desk.

“L oppa, can you um…tutor me in Algebra?” asked one girl.

“No, he is going to tutor me in Physical Science,” said another.

“Sorry ladies but all of us are borrowing him for a project,” approached familiar voices.

I looked up and saw my group of friends surrounding my desk. We were known as Infinite because it was just the name that the people gave us.

“Yah, he’s mine so don’t touch him,” said Sungyeol as he began to hug me.

Sungyeol is my best friend since we were five. I think sometimes spending too much with him makes me dumber or smarter. I sat there being hugged while girls loved the bromance.

I punched Sungyeol lightly in the gut so that he could release me because he was crushing my face.

“Myungsoo punched me,” whined Sungyeol toward Sunggyu.

Aish, this guy is smart but I forgot to tell you that he is also called choding yeol, although we don’t say it in front of him…..he is a kid at heart.

After Sungyeol was done whining, all of us headed out to the canteen. We sat at our usual table and began to eat our food.

“So Myungsoo, the exams are next week. Are you willing to help us study this week or self-study?” asked Hoya as he placed an earbud in his ear to listen to music.

“I can help you guys afterschool, although it has to be after cram school,” I said.

When I looked up, I saw a girl with black wavy hair and a serious face. Her skin was flawless like that girl named Bae Suzy.

Sungyeol nudged me, saying how much I was staring at the girl too much. I jabbed him on the sides to shut him up. I looked up again and realized she joined Apink’s table.  Apink was a group of six girls that were believed to be beautiful girls by the male students. They are always in the top 10 and sometimes beat my friends, although Sungyeol seemed to always stay with his second ranking just like me with first.  Although Apink was smart, there was another girl that people believed to be beautiful and intelligent and that was Bae Suzy.

That girl was beautiful and she matched my ideal type but I didn’t like the fact she wasn’t as smart as me. I mean Suzy is also in the top 15 ranking of the school but I want someone that is close to my ranking.

“Myungsoo, are you not listening, when are we going to meet up?” asked Dongwoo.

I snapped out of my trance and answered Dongwoo.

“At my house, if that’s okay. I’ll help you guys for two hours every other day, when exams starts, don’t bother me.”

We looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Even though I was confident on getting first because I always get first, I was somewhat worried about this particular exam week.

 

Naeun’s POV

I walked into the school, feeling a little nervous. I never felt this nervous before because I realized that I was able to enter this elite school by taking a test.

I looked at my schedule and looked for class 1B. When I found it, I saw my teacher already saying that there was a new student.

I walked into the classroom and looked rather emotionless than what I was feeling in the inside.

“Annyeong, Son Naeun iminda, please take care of me,” I said without any rush.

I didn’t listen to what the teacher was saying because I was scanning the room for an empty desk. When he said that I could sit behind so and so, I immediately walked over to my desk.

Sitting down, I looked at the board and saw that the teacher had immediately started the lesson. I ignored everyone that kept looking at me and looked at the board.

There was something wrong with the equation that the teacher had written. I didn’t want to correct him because it would probably hurt me but I couldn’t stand how the answer didn’t match the numbers on the equation so I raised my hand. Although I hated algebra, I still needed it in life.

“Yes Naeun-sshi,” said the teacher.

“Um….Professor sshi…..the answer doesn’t match the numbers you plugged into the equation,” I said.

Half of the class looked at me if I was going crazy and the teacher was trying to figure out what he did wrong. I didn’t want to make a fool of myself but it was wrong because he forgot the imaginary numbers that he included in the equation.

When he found the mistake, he immediately corrected the final answer.  I looked down at my notebook because I knew half of the class was staring at me in disbelief.

When morning classes had ended, it was time for lunch. I started to gather my books and saw a girl helping me. We finished stuffing my books in my backpack and walked toward the canteen.

“My name is Kim Namjoo. Call me Namjoo,” she said as she smiled at me.

“Nice to meet you Namjoo,” I said with a half-smile.

“I can’t believe you corrected a teacher, you’re the first. Wait, how did you know it wrong though? I mean no one would have guessed it was the wrong answer.”

I didn’t know how to answer because the only way I learned was to self-study. I also used a lot of resources to understand the subject in depth.

“Ah. . .well, I’m good with math,” I said. And Science, and history, and other subjects. . .

“Yay! Then you can teach us,” said Namjoo.

“Us?” I asked as I tilted my head.

“Yep, look for a table of handsome men and then two tables next to it is the Apink table. That’s our table,” she said as she walked into the lunch area.

I looked for a table that Namjoo described as ‘handsome’ and saw a group of seven guys looking at a table of girls. Namjoo, you’re weren’t clear! What group of handsome guys and two tables over?

I looked around and saw a girls waving at me but I doubled checked and looked behind me if they were waving to someone else then approached them.

“Naeun, what took you so long? Is it because of Namjoo’s directions? What did she say?” asked a girl with curly brown hair as she was preparing her salad.

“Well, she said to look for a group of handsome guys at a table and then two tables over was your table but what handsome guys!?!” I said taking out my lunch.

“Yah Bomi, you can’t jump into questions. We have to introduce ourselves,” said a girl with brownish hair. She looked very pretty and somewhat baby faced.

She looked at me and smiled.

“My name is Park Chorong. The girl that is now eating her salad is Yoon Bomi. The girl next to her is Hong Yookyung, next to me is Jung Eunji and next to you is Oh Hayoung.”

I smiled and nodded because I feel like they were going to my friends.

“So, what made you confused about Namjoo's directions?” asked Chorong.

“Well, she said handsome guys at one table and I don’t know any group of guys that are handsome,” I said.

“Oh. . .she meant Infinite. That table over there,” said Eunji as she pointed her spoon to a table of guys.

“Who are they?” I asked.

“Well, I’ll start with the two guys at the end. That is Nam Woohyun and Kim Sunggyu. Those two are best pals. Woohyun is a flirt. Every girl loves him because of his greasy self. As for Sunggyu, he is somewhat terrible expressing himself through speaking. Through music, he is a genius. Woohyun is ranked 6th and Sunggyu is ranked 5th in the whole school,”  said Park Chorong.

“The two from the other end are Lee Howon, but we call him Hoya for short, and Jang Dongwoo. Hoya is a dance machine and Jang Dongwoo is a good rapper but also a genius but it depends on his mood. Hoya is ranked 9th and Dongwoo is ranked 10th in the school,” said Bomi.

“Now the three guys in the middle are in the higher ranking in this school. Let’s start with Lee Sungyeol who is next to Woohyun. He is a kid at heart but he is really smart. He is ranked 2nd in the school. The other guy next to the guy in the middle is the youngest out in our grade. He is considered the maknae and he is a diva. Although he is a diva, he is ranked 4th in the school,” said Yookyung.

“Last but not least, the one in the middle, he is the coldest and most arrogant guy in our school, his name is Kim Myungsoo but everyone calls him L. He barely talks to any girl but every girl goes crazy for him. It’s because he is faovred by everyone in this school. That guy is so smart that it’s scary to even approach him. He is ranked 1st in the whole school,” said Namjoo.

I almost chocked on my food because Namjoo came out of nowhere and when she said the guy that I was staring at was ranked #1 in the whole school.

“Naeun-ah, are you okay?” asked Namjoo as she gave me water to drink.

When I finished drinking the water, I glared at Namjoo and Namjoo laughed and apologized.

“Sorry Naeun, you guys were talking about Infinite so I couldn’t help but finish it off,” she laughed.

“How about you guys? What are you rankings,” asked Naeun.

“Well, Chorong unnie here is smart and she is ranked 3rd in the whole school. Namjoo unnie is ranked 7th, Bomi unnie is ranked 8th, Yookyung unnie usually ties with Sunggyu or Woohyun, Eunji unnie usually ties with Hoya, and I usually tie with Dongwoo,” said Hayoung.

“Wow, you guys are in the top 10? That’s very impressive,” I said while I clapped my hands.

“Did your old school have rankings too?” asked Hayoung.

I didn’t want to answer that because I never paid attention to the rankings. I never bothered to look at my ranking, only my score. Perfect or almost perfect was just my aim. I tried to answer her truthfully.

“I don’t know, the ranking in my old school isn’t as accurate as this school,” I said.

“Oh, well it’s okay. . . .Exams are next week. We will see how well ranked you are,” said Bomi.

I almost chocked on my food as I began to drink water once more. EXAMS ARE NEXT WEEK!?!?! Why did I move here so late? I won’t bother asking them for notes. I need to know what subjects to study.

“Naeun unnie, I think you need to calm down before you choke on your food,” said Yookyung.

“Mianhae, it’s just that’s little time for me to study, I think I might have a chance in taking this test,” I said.

I took out my notebook that had my schedule that I set up for this week. I needed to place more time on studying than working and also visiting my mother.

“What’s that?” asked Namjoo as she looked at my notebook.

“It’s my schedule book. It helps me a lot through life. So can you tell me the subjects that I need to study?” I asked.

Park Chorong took my notebook and wrote down the subjects that I needed to study. She looked very worried for me.

“Naeun, if you need help. You can ask me for help. I just don’t want you to get embarrassed if you get a low ranking than all of us,” she said.

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry, I’ve crammed a week before exams one time and still did fine,” I tried to say without any worry but I knew this school was a different matter.

Even though I perfected the exam to get into this school, I had a feeling these exams would be harder than the one that I just took. I knew that I had to lessen my working and visiting time for my mother in order not to embarrass myself in front of these girls.

Lunch finally ended it was time to start afternoon classes. I barely paid attention in class because I was already planning this week’s schedule and it mostly consisted of nonstop studying.

****

It was finally exam week for the students. Apink and Infinite were still cramming a little study time before the exam time. Naeun and Myungsoo in the other hand were just waiting for the exam time to start so that they could take the test. When it was finally time for exams, Naeun tried to remember the motto that her mother told her and took the exams.

After the week of exams, the results came. Everyone was crowding the bulletin board and looking for their names and which rank they were in. Most of Apink and Infinite were in the same ranking as before but something had changed within the top five rankings.

Myungsoo looked at his ranking and didn’t understand what was going on. He turned to Sungyeol and asked him to explain what was going on.

“Sungyeol. . . .what is this!?!” he said in a threatening whisper.

“Dude, I don’t know! I’m still ranked 2nd but how did you befall a rank and rank 2nd too!?!” said Sungyeol.

“How….did she even...?”  Apink didn’t finish their question as they turned to Naeun.

Naeun was just watching Myungsoo and Sungyeol quarrel in front of the bulletin board.

The whole school fell into silence because the smartest boy in the whole school had fallen a rank and the one who had topped him was no other than the new student, Son Naeun. 

 


Hi! bbvip4ever15 here~
I'm sorry but I won't update often. 
I'm still writing my other fanfic Inspirational Garden. 
I know I shouldn't have started this fanfic until I finished my other one.
I couldn't help it because I would forget what my ideal was then T.T 
Don't worry school will end in a month so I can update this more when I'm in summer.
As well as the other fanfic lol. =3
Well subscribe and comment ^^