Chapter 11: Cinderella Before the Ball

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

Why am I always giving her gifts? What the heck did I give so much money for her? Why do I even care? I was walking down the hallway and remembered Sungyeol holding Naeun like they were a couple. I don’t know why it keeps replaying in my mind but I’ve tried everything to get Naeun off my mind.

Avoiding her for three weeks was probably a mistake I made, Naeun looked worse. I probably broke my promise to her mother because I felt guilty every time I saw Naeun sleeping between breaks. All the girls didn’t pick on her because I sensed a dark aura around her when she was grumpy. Bomi would wake her up and she would give Bomi glares. Bomi would be scared after Naeun was woken up and then Naeun would try to keep herself awake during class.

I even took note on her schedule book and saw a lot of cross outs that said ‘Visit her mother’ instead it wrote ‘Work in Grocery Shop’ for more than three hours. I felt like guilty as I watched her for three weeks. Why am I thinking about this?

Suddenly, someone stopped in front of me and it was Chorong.

What does she want? She had Woohyun hyung so why is she here? I walked passed her and she held me back.

“One more step and I will use hapkido on you,” she threatened as she gave a glare at me.

I scoffed at her and then moved back glaring at her.

“What do you want, Chorong?” I said with an annoyed tone in my voice.

“Tell me what happened the day when Naeun left class early. You left class early that day to,” she said with she still gave a glare at me.

“And why should I do that? It’s not your concern,” I said as I took a step forward and she did a kick close to my face.

It scared me a little but I didn’t chance my expression as I still stayed annoyed.

“I told you before that I cared a lot about Naeun even as a sister. Even if she hides so many secrets, I still care about her. This is my concern because she is my best friend. Now, tell me what happened,” she said as she backed away from me.

“Fine, I will tell you but you better not tell the rest of Infinite or your sister about this,” I said because I didn’t want Chorong to demonstrate that kick again.

She nodded as she led me to the tree where Apink usually was during the mornings before they departed for their classes.

I began to tell her about Naeun and her life that her mother told me. As I told her, Chorong gave her signs of horror and sadness. I didn’t understand why but as I told her. She started to cry and then felt sad.

When she cried, a lot of male students glared at me for making Chorong cry. Great, now everyone sees me as a bad person that made Woohyun’s girlfriend cry. I continued with the story. When I was done, I think I gave Chorong my school handkerchief because she was crying with every detail I said about Naeun.

“I didn’t know that Naeun had that kind of sad childhood. Why didn’t you share it? Also, does Naeun know about you knowing her mother?” said Chorong as she wiped her face.

“Well, I didn’t know too. I only used Naeun to get away from my dad’s guards that day. Her mother told me everything about Naeun’s past and her personality. I thought it was stupid at first until she asked her this impossible favor,” I said giving a sigh.

“What was it?” asked Chorong.

“To take care of Naeun until she finds someone,” I said while gritting my teeth together.

“You’re not as cold and arrogant like most people think you are,” laughed Chorong as she smiled at me.

“Yeah, well I don’t care about that brat. I just have to guide that brat until she finds someone,” I said as I stood up.

“What if you fall in love with her?”

I looked at Chorong and laughed. Like that would ever happen. I love someone that listened to me not someone who keeps defying me. She made fit most of the requirements of my ideal type but I placed her in my top list of things I hate. She probably listed me as number one in the things I hate.

“There is no way that I would fall in love with that brat. Besides, if she likes someone, it would be better if she liked Sungyeol. He’s bubbly and I’m arrogant and cold,” I said with gritting my teeth together.

“You never experienced love didn’t you?” asked Chorong.

“No I haven’t, I already have what a wealthy guy wants. I don’t need a girlfriend unless I’m depressed and I’m not depressed.”

Chorong gave me an annoyed face and gave a sigh. I knew what she was thinking right know. She was probably thinking how cold and arrogant I was. How my soul was nothing but black and no one could break it.

“You’re a sad person, L. A really sad person,” said Chorong as she left for class.

When I was at class, I saw Sungyeol come up to me with a gloomy face.

“What’s up, Sungyeol?” I asked.

“Why didn’t I think of that?” said Sungyeol as he sat in his desk.

“Think of what?” I said as I sat in my desk next to him.

“Okay, so Naeun received a gift from her secret admirer. Inside the gift was money and stuff but still money,” said Sungyeol. Well, I promised to take care of her so I gave her a year to cover her off for her apartment rent. Also, the job listings are for her to find a new job. It’s like I like her and stop saying secret admirer. I did this to save her from going back to her father. Wait, you don’t know that....

“That’s good for her then,” I said after that I didn’t talk anymore. During class, I glanced at Naeun and then I felt like she kept glancing at me. It somewhat made me smile although I don’t know why.

When I was about to leave, I bumped into Naeun. It’s been a while since I heard her voice. I somewhat missed it, not really but I did enjoy bothering her. I walked ahead and heard footsteps behind and faked a glare at Naeun asking why she keeps following me.

 Naeun glared at me and watched her walk until she was beside so I started to walk with her. As we walked together in silence, I was stopped at the front entrance by my father’s manager. I glanced at Naeun and watched her leave.

“Chairman’s son, get in the car now. You don’t want your father scowling at you again,” said the manager.

“Wait, just wait, I watching her just in case something happens to her,” I said as I watched her until she was far away from sight.

I went inside the car and gave a sigh as he drove me to work again.

 

Naeun’s POV

After Sungyeol’s care, I somewhat felt better as I jumped off the window sill. Dusting off the dust on my school uniform, I took my bag and saw another present. Another one? Weird, it’s wrapped in the same wraping paper like my pin that time....That’s weird. Is it from the same admirer?

“Naeun, what is that you’re holding?” said Sungyeol as he came up behind me.

I turned around and saw Sungyeol who looked rather curious to the present that was given to me.

“A present...that came out of nowhere...Wait! How did this person know I was here? No one knows about this place....It’s really hidden real well with the shelves and books,” I said without realizing that Sungyeol.

“Yep, I heard your crying so I followed it. Although, maybe your secret admirer heard us talking?” said Sungyeol.

“Maybe,” I said realizing that Sungyeol was beside me.

We walked out of the library together and went to class. Sungyeol started to bother me about the present and it was annoying me. I wanted to open the present after school as he kept bothering me.

“Naeun, you should open that present. I want to see and I’m very curious,” said Sungyeol as he whined.

“After school, for the infinite time!” I yelled as I glared at him.

“But, Naeun, you’re being mean now,” whined Sungyeol.

I gave a sigh and looked at the pouting choding. Why am I friends with such a nice person but also an annoying person? I won’t ask because I might jinx myself. I finally gave in and decided to open the present as Sungyeol was beside me.

When I opened the present, I dropped my bag and stared at the tremendous amount of cash in the envelope and job listings. Sungyeol was surprised too by the amount of money and looked at me.

“HOW DOES HE KNOW!?!?!?!” I whispered loudly as I closed the box again.

“You have a stalker admirer then,” said Sungyeol as he tried to regain his regular self.

“This is too much money! I can’t accept this even if it can pay a year of rent for the apartment!”

“I would say that he is just trying to help you or he is stalking you. I advise that you stay far away from him and also don’t walk to the streets alone. Take a taxi, instead,” said Sungyeol as he helped stuff the present into my bag.

We walked into class and I parted from him as he went to Myungsoo, his best friend. At class, I felt like someone kept glancing at me as I kept glancing at Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

Who keeps looking at me!?! I hate this feeling. I feel like someone is staring at me but I don’t know who....When afternoon classes ended, I gathered my books and things as I started to head for the door until I bumped into Myungsoo while going out of the door.

“Watch it, brat,” he scoffed as he walked out of the door first.

I didn’t glare at him as I walked behind him. I glanced at him and saw a camera bag beside him. Ah, I remember that, Sungyeol told me he is interested in photography.

“Are you going to stop following me?” he whispered in a low voice as he turned around and glared at me.

He makes me so mad even if I haven’t even talked to him for three weeks now.

“For your information, I’m going the same way because it’s faster to get out of the school this way. Why would you think that I follow you?” I said with an emotionless face.

I started to walk again and walked beside him instead of passed him because he started to walk again. We walked in silence as the hallways soon were cleared. Many of the students were in clubs or sports. I only participated in badminton which was every spring. The only club I participated was the art club but I keep my art anonymous because I barely had time to go afterschool. Also, my teacher said it was better off as a mystery so that people would see how talented the secret person was. All I know is that this year the art teacher is planning to do an event on guessing the artist contest.

We walked down the stairs and out of the school, I saw someone waiting for Myungsoo. It was his father’s manager. When we were near the front gate, I turned left and started to walk away. After a few minutes of walking, I was back in the city.

I rested near the bus stop and took out my job listings and gave a sigh. I really hope to find another job because the grocery job I do is getting ridiculous. It was miserable and I’m getting home later and later in the night.

I carried my bag again and when I turned around I bumped into someone again. The first job listing was a part time job at a restaurant. When I neared the restaurant, I saw how elegant and fancy it was. There was no way that I would be able to get a job in a restaurant like this. Also, half of the students in my school could afford this place so I left the restaurant. The next job listing was in the mall so I walked into the mall and saw a cute accessories store. I walked into the store and asked what the requirements of this job were. Then it hit me, my friends and I go often to this store so I bowed to the employers and walked out of the store.

I was on the tenth job listed in the list and gave up for today. I was almost out of time to explore anyways. I stopped in front of the grocery store and faced my misery.

****

Myungsoo worked and worked as his father was at a meeting. He usually was alone but miraculously Sungyeol was here to help him. His father and Sungyeol’s father were negotiating on products. Myungsoo worked on the computer while Sungyeol was organizing papers. As they worked in silence, Sungyeol broke the silence because he was bored.

“So Myungsoo, do you like someone right now?” said Sungyeol as he broke the silence.

“No, why?”

“I’m bored!” said Sungyeol as he finished one stack.

“How about you, do you like someone?” asked Myungsoo.

“Maybe....why you ask?” said Sungyeol as he started to avert his eyes.

“You wanted to talk about something so I asked. Who is it?” asked Myungsoo as he was getting curious. “Don’t tell me it’s her right? Is it Son Naeun?” asked Myungsoo as he stopped what he was doing.

Sungyeol laughed and glanced at the meeting room. When the meeting door opened, Sungyeol waved goodbye to Myungsoo.

“Well, I see you tomorrow at school, Myungsoo. Bye,” said Sungyeol. I can’t tell you that I like her because you probably wouldn’t like the news anyways.

“Sungyeol!” yelled Myungsoo as he watched Sungyeol leave with his father.

 Myungsoo watched as his best friend didn’t finish his question. He probably likes her. He wouldn’t have ran like that if he didn’t like her. Why do I even care?

Myungsoo looks at Abeoji and saw his father looked emotionless.

“Did you finish your work today?” he asked.

“Yeah, also, I’m not going to go home by car. I rather walk,” said Myungsoo.

“Walk? You don’t even know if the streets are dangerous,” said his father.

“I just need to go home today, I’m stopping by somewhere,” said Myungsoo.

“Fine, while you’re going then buy this small list of groceries. I was going to ask my manager but you can probably go instead of him.”

Myungsoo took the list from his father and retrieved his stuff. He then placed his coat on and walked outside. In the elevator, he was thinking of going to the cheap grocery store to buy the groceries. He shrugged and walked to that place.

When he was in front of the grocery store, he walked inside and started to buy what was on the list. While he was buying, Naeun was mopping the floors and getting yelled at by her manager.

“You keep missing a spot! How am I going to pay you!?!” yelled her manager.

Naeun was pressured and stressed as she cleaned and wiped the floors. She had it with her manager and wanted to quit but told herself that she needs this job. As she mop the floors and was mopping near the drink section. As she moped the floors, she saw that Myungsoo was there.

OH MY GAWD! HE BETTER NOT SEE ME HERE! HE WILL TELL EVERYONE IN SCHOOL! Naeun mopped faster and tried to avoid contact while Myungsoo passed her, not caring about her and still looking at the drinks he needed. She gave a sigh of relief. She started to mop the other side and then went to a different section.

Why is he here? He barely goes here. Ugh, Naeun you must try to avoid him or he will expose you. Also, don't let your boss yell at you.

As she moped, she realized that it was slippery. She tried to be careful but still slipped anyways. Before she could fall, someone caught her.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked Myungsoo as he tried to study her face and gave a smirk when he realized that it was Naeun.

“Well well well, if it’s Naeun working in a grocery store,” he smirked.

Naeun pushed him and gave a glare at him.

“What do you want?” asked Naeun. Argh! I should have been more careful!

“I want you to scan for my things for me,” he said as he gave a smirk. She looks tired. It’s bothering her though. After that, I’ll become serious.

“I’m not allowed to do that. You should ask that employer there because she is a fan of you and your father’s company,” said Naeun as she walked slowly to put her mop away.

Myungsoo walked her as he placed his basket at the employer and paid for the items. He left the store or so Naeun thought he did. He stood outside watching Naeun being yelled at.

“Naeun! You are not done yet!” yelled her manager.

After thirty minutes, Naeun took a shower at the staff room and then changed clothes. She then dried her hair and glanced at the other workers. Why am I always being yelled at? I do everything what the manager tells me to do. I’m really tired today. Ugh, I still have homework to do and study after that.

Naeun rubbed her eyes as she was weak after today’s work. She coughed and sneezed after her shower. As she tried to put her work clothes in her locker, she heard a conversation.

“I can’t believe it! Some handsome guy is standing by the lamppost,” whispered a girl.

“I know! Who is the lucky girl? I mean there are many workers here but still. I want to see,” whispered the other worker.

Naeun rolled her eyes because she didn’t care. When she stood up, she felt dizzy but shook it away. She needed to get home and do her homework. She took her things and headed out the grocery store. When she left the store, there stood Kim Myungsoo approaching her.

What is the meaning of this!?! Kim Myungsoo is the guy! Why didn’t he go home yet!?! Naeun turned to the direction of her apartment and walked home.

“Naeun, I have to tell you something. Wait!” yelled Myungsoo as he didn’t feel like running and tried to walk fast toward Naeun.

“Leave me alone! I have to go home and it’s late. Why don’t you just take a taxi home?” said Naeun as she tried to run away from Myungsoo.

As Naeun walked on, her vision started to get blurry and she was getting sleepy. She neared the doors and tried to pull out her keys. She coughed and sneezed and muttered to herself. She was trying to open her door but she kept missing the key hole because of her sudden blurry vision. When she started to see things, she finally collapsed onto the floor.

Myungsoo saw all of this and ran for Naeun. He caught her in time and realized that she was burning up. Ash! Why do you keep working hard? This is what happens when you have a lack of sleep.

He took the keys and unlocked her door. He carried her to the house and saw how bare her apartment was. When he walked into her room, he saw notes scattered across the floor and placed Naeun on the bed.

As he looked around her apartment and the notes she took, he realized that he could never be at Naeun’s level of studying. 

 


Hello!
OMG! Myungsoo is at Naeun's house, I mean apartment, finally.
Oh she fainted because she overworked herself.
Oh does Sungyeol like Naeun? O.o
Comment or subscribe or both <3 ^^ =3