Chapter 26: Last Year of High School

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

It was the first day of school and I placed my regular expression and walked past the gate. I found Sungyeol talking to Sungjong, Dongwoo, and Sunggyu. Hoya was with Eunji and Woohyun was with Chorong. I glanced back at the gate and saw Naeun walk into the school grounds. I felt happy as I walked toward her but Sungyeol stopped me.

“Hey, Myung! It’s been a while since I saw you. How was your summer?” asked Sungyeol who blocked my view of Naeun.

“Hey, Yeol. Summer was great. How was yours?” I said quickly.

“It was good too. Hey, what’s wrong? It’s like you don’t have time to chat with me?” whined Sungyeol.

“You see, I’m trying to catch up with someone. See you later at lunch or other classes that we’re together,” I said as I waved goodbye to Sungyeol and ran to catch up to Naeun.

I caught up with Naeun and saw talking to Namjoo, Bomi, and Hayoung by Apink’s regular meeting place. I stopped and waited for her to notice me. While she was laughing, she glanced at my direction and waved at me. I waved back and gestured her to come forward. She nodded and talked to her friends and then walked toward me.

“Hey,” said Naeun as she smiled and we decided to walk into our classes.

“Hey,” I said.

“How was the last week of your summer? Finishing your homework?” asked Naeun as she walked the same pace as me.

“Yeah and I had to work with Abeoji. How about you? Did you stay in that room of yours and finished your work?” I asked.

I knew Naeun perfectly well now. Those two months helped me to actually get to know her. We were closer than we ever were five years ago.

“Yeah, my appa was being his regular self so I locked myself in my room,” said Naeun as she gave a sigh.

“Hey, is something wrong?” I asked as I stopped in front of her and glanced at her.

She smiled at her and shook her. For some reason, her smile wasn’t the smile she usually shows me.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me,” she said as she walked into her class.

I walked in behind her because I was also in the same class as her.

“L, you’re in the same class as me?” asked Naeun as she sat down next to me.

“Yeah, it seems like it. Let’s see who else from our groups are going to be in the same class as us.”

We waited for a while but none of our friends came. It was great for me but to Naeun, she seemed sad that none of her friends were here. I gave a smile but hid it from Naeun because I could have her to myself. I still needed to make her fall in love with me anyways.

During the day, I realized that I had all my classes with Naeun. It was great and none of my or her friends were in my classes. While we were walking toward lunch, I saw Naeun was spacing out. She was about to walk toward a wall. I stepped in front of her and she bumped into to me instead.

“Naeun, what’s wrong with you today?” I asked.

“Nothing, why what’s wrong?” asked Naeun as she looked at me with her cold face.

“You were about to walk into a wall.”

“Really? Oh, thanks then,” said Naeun as she started to walk to lunch.

“Hey! The cafeteria is the other direction,” I said as she turned around.

“I knew that! Stop saying everything like I’m stupid,” Naeun snapped as she glared at me.

I was just telling her the truth. I didn’t think what I said to her would actually anger her. I watched her walk past me as we went to the lunch room.

 

Naeun’s POV

I have to tell him! Wait, I can wait and maybe after taking those college exams and pass them, will I be able to go to my mother’s favorite school. I paced around the front parking lot before entering the school. It was weird of me to be this nervous but it’s was because of that stupid engagement. I didn’t understand why my father didn’t oppose it. I remember what happened after Sungyeol and his father left our house. We both started arguing and I even told my father why my mother was actually better than him. I told him everything that exactly was in my mind.

After that night, he stopped talking to me completely and ignored my existence. It was like how it was ever since I turned twelve. That’s exactly what I wanted anyways. It wasn’t what I wanted but I just wanted to be alone. My mother was everything to me and now everything is just crumbling in my world. My grades are the only thing that is standing. I walked into the school grounds and waved goodbye to my father’s manager. He understood me so well. My mother said he was one of the sweetest and most grateful assistant of the family. He was like a second guardian to me. He was also the other reason why I still lived.

When I was twelve, my mother and I lived together in the miserable apartment that I lived before. My mother was ill and I tried to finish all her chores that she would do to me. It was before we found out about her caner. I was walking toward the store and I tried to pay the lady with cash and she didn’t accept the money because she believed I stole it. It was my father’s manager who saved me from being thrown into jail. Like it or not, he was always there when I was in a sticky situation.

Anyways, I walked into the school grounds and saw L with Sungyeol. Crap! He’s already here too! I waved to both boys and walked off to find my sisters, my best friends called Apink. I found them by the same tree but we had company. It was the Nam grease and the dancing machine that were with my Chorong and Eunji. I shook the thought away as Hayoung, Namjoo and Bomi came running toward me and hugged me.

“NAEUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” yelled all of them.

They tackled me and I tried to maintain my balance.

“Hey, how are you guys? How were all your summer vacations?” I asked while trying to pry them away from me.

“My summer was great. I met Sungyeol in Japan. Weird, right?” said Namjoo.

“My summer was the usual, I went to Europe,” said Bomi.

“I went to the States with Yookyung and stay with her until I had to go back to Korea,” said Hayoung.

“Maybe it’s no coincidence, Namjoo? That’s great Bomi! I also went to Europe too, this summer. Yookyung? How is she? I miss her so much,” I said, trying to answer all of them statements.

“Really? Where in Europe did you go?” asked Bomi.

“Yookyung is fine. We all miss her. She is like a sister to us,” said Hayoung.

“Yah! That’s not funny,” whined Namjoo.

“I went to the famous places in Europe with L-”

I was going to trying to finish but all of them were shocked with what I said.

“L!?!?!” said my friends simultaneously.

“Yeah, and what’s wrong with that?” I asked.

“You and L are enemies since middle school! How did you get along with him? Was this a forced trip!?!” asked Bomi.

“Yeah! That’s what I was going to say,” said Namjoo.

“It was a forced trip. . .actually. . .It was fun and I got along with L. We didn’t fight while we were there,” I said while nodding.

I glanced up and saw L smiling at me. I gave a bright smile and waved at him again. This time he was trying to gesture me forward so I told my friends that I was going to meet up with L. It was weird, my friends jaws dropped because they usually don’t see me so friendly with him. I guess it was because of that trip.

L and I walked toward the school and we started to discuss what we did after the trip. It was an awkward conversation because I felt guilty. I just wanted to tell him that I’m engaged to Sungyeol but at the same time it would probably hurt him. I kept it to myself and tried to smile like nothing is wrong. It was wrong of me but I just wanted things to be fine.

When I saw my classroom, I waved goodbye to L and walked into my class. When I sat down, I saw L following me. I realized that he was in my class this year, once again. It just makes me feel ten times worse because I couldn’t tell him. I realized that this year, I was stuck with L but this time none of my friends or his friends was in any of our classes. Well, this is great. . .I just want to escape him. BUT I CAN’T!

The bell rang and it was finally time for lunch. While we were walking toward lunch, I almost walked toward the wall but L saved me. I felt somewhat relieved he did that or else people would have laughed at me. I also went the other direction and I yelled at him for no particular reason. It was probably because Sungyeol and I are engaged. I just wanted to rip that stupid contract and I could be free from worry. That’s it! I’m telling him when the school day is over. I can’t take it anymore. I ate my lunch in silence and none of my friends asked me questions. It was probably because they knew I was in a bad mood.

****

Myungsoo ate his lunch and glanced at Naeun. He was so confused with her today. She didn’t seem to be herself today. He practically saved her twice from hitting the wall or tripping over something. He didn’t’ understand the meaning of all of this. Sungyeol took notice of Myungsoo’s weird behavior as well as the other members.

“So, how was everyone’s summer?” asked Hoya because he wanted to break the silence at the table.

“It was good. I spent my summer with Chorong-”

“That’s great Woohyun. You told all of us the last month before summer vacation,” said Dongwoo.

“Mine was good,” said Sungjong.

“How about you, Myung?” asked Sunggyu.

Myungsoo was preoccupied at staring at Naeun and didn’t listen to his friends’ conversation. Sungyeol snapped him into reality by taking his snack.

“Don’t take my food!” yelled Myungsoo as he punched Sungyeol on the arm.

“Well, we need to get your attention somehow. You’ve been staring at Naeun,” said Sunggyu.

“I wasn’t staring at Naeun,” grumbled Myungsoo as he ate his apple.

“You’re lying. We saw you stare at her for a good solid five minutes,” said Dongwoo.

“Do you like her Myung?” asked Sungjong.

Myungsoo swallowed what he was eating and decided to confess the truth.

“No. All of you are wrong. I love her there. There is a difference between like and love,” said Myungsooo, casually.

“WHAT!?!” yelled the other members except Sungyeol.

He obviously knew that Myungsoo would eventually fall for Naeun. He predicted the outcome as he considered Myungsoo a rival to capture Naeun’s heart in the first place.

“Since when!?!” asked Woohyun.

“Does she know about this?” asked Dongwoo.

“She knows. She just thinks of me as a friend,” said Myungsoo as he gave a sigh.

“Ooh! Rejected,” said Hoya as he had a sour face.

“It’s okay. I’m not giving up,” said Myungsoo.

“What? Why not? She already rejected you. Find another girl,” said Woohyun.

“No, there is no one like her. No girl can replace Naeun because her personality to me is unique,” sighed Myungsoo.

Sungyeol listened to the conversation and shook his head. He understood what Myungsoo was saying but he wanted Naeun also. He decided to confess that Naeun was his soon to be wife and see how the other would react.

“Hey, guys. I have to tell you something,” said Sungyeol.

“What is it?” asked the members.

“Naeun and I are engaged.”

Myungsoo stood up after Sungyeol’s statement and walked off to the library. He didn’t believe it. He absolutely couldn’t. When he got to the library, he walked through the books and tried to find photography books to calm him down. When he found a book, he walked toward the tables to sit down. He saw Naeun sitting at the tables and was already studying.

Already!?! School just started though? He sat next to Naeun who was immersed with what she was reading. He started at her and waited for her to look up at him. Naeun glanced at him after she finished a problem and smiled.

“What do you want, L?” asked Naeun.

“Nothing, I was just admiring you,” smirked L.

“Don’t be cheesy here. Anyways, you usually don’t go here unless you need to. What’s wrong?” asked Naeun as she tilted her head.

Myungsoo wanted to ask her if she was really engaged but it was hard to do so with her staring at him innocently.

“Nothing, go back to your work and let me read,” said L coldly as he opened the book he took out from the shelf.

Naeun blinked a few times and started to study more. L tried to read his book but he couldn’t due the fact the engagement was bothering him. He glanced at Naeun again and she looked up at the same time he glanced at her.

“Seriously, L, what’s wrong?” asked Naeun and as she placed her pencil down. “I want to know.”

L placed his book aside and looked at Naeun with hurt eyes.

“Are you engaged to Sungyeol?” asked L.

Naeun widened her eyes and then looked away from L’s gaze. She didn’t want him to find out this way as she smiled at him so she could hide her hurt feelings.

“Yes, Sungyeol and I are engaged,” said Naeun.

She gave one of her fake smile and tried to hide the pain that was continuously bottling up in her heart.

I’m sorry that you found about it, this way.

 


IDK WHAT I WROTE!
If this is bad. I'm sorry.
D=
I have more than 120 subscribers.
Thank you so much! TT 
Okay! Off to do homework.