I'm adopted..?

Kevin's Childhood Friend, AJ's Classmate, and Eli's Adoptive Sister Say What?!

 

I was in Psychology class with Isabelle. She was busy doodling in her notebook instead of paying attention to the lecture. I elbowed her to get her attention.

“Hey, will you pay attention and stop dozing off? We have an exam next week.” I somewhat scolded her but quietly. 

She sighed. “How do you expect me to pay attention when AJ isn’t here?” 

I rolled my eyes. It’s been about a month since AJ left. Everyone has kind of been moping around, missing him. I got used to him not being around anymore though. I mean, everyone has been walking in and out of my life for years; I’m used to it by now. 

“Get over it. He’s long gone and never coming back.” I told her, expressionless. 

She sighed again. She got used to my cold attitude now so it was nothing new to her. “Easy for you to say ________. I don't see how your able to forget him so easily. He was like a brother to us, at least to me." 

"I don't forget. I just move on which is exactly what you and everyone else should do." I told her while writing down my notes.

"Easier said than done." She sighed again. 

I rolled my eyes. "Only if you make it hard. There's really no point in being stuck on the past. Let him go and move on. That's all we really can do, Isabelle." 

"I guess you're right. I just really miss AJ."

"Tweet him. You have his twitter, right? Talk to him." 

"I do but the time difference is just annoying. Whenever I'm up, he isn't so it takes forever for him to tweet back." 

"Yeah, that's true. Well not much you really can do. Just pay attention to the lecture, we have to pass the exam next week." Isabelle nodded and started taking notes, or more like copy my notes. 

I was busy writing until someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around and saw a security guard. She motioned for me to follow her without interrupting the class. I nodded and told her I'll meet her outside. 

I told Isabelle I'll just text her later. I grabbed my stuff and headed outside. 

I looked around for the security guard. Once I found him, I asked "What's this about?"

"Your ________ ________ right?" 

"Yeah, is something wrong?" 

"Your parents are here. They said they needed to talk to you and its urgent. I sent them to your dorm, their waiting for you right now." My parents? There here? But why? I just nodded and walked my way to my dorm room. 

Why were my parents here? What did they want? They didn't even call or texted me.. Yet, they showed up out of the blue. 

Before I knew it, I was in front of my dorm room. I turned the door knob and opened it. I saw both my parents sitting on my bed, discussing something. Once they noticed I was there, they stopped. 

Both of them smiled and stood up. 

"Hey there sweetie! Long time no see!" My mom said. I stared at her for a minute then nodded. 

"Its nice to see you too." I said to them with a cold voice. They seemed a bit shocked but shrugged it off. I walked in and threw my stuff on the floor. I pulled out my computer desk chair and rolled it in front of my parents, then sat down. "So whats up?" 

 


 

This is awkward. My parents who I only see about twice or maybe three times a year showed up at my college and pulled me out of class. That's a first. For some reason, I felt nervous. They seemed pretty serious which is a first I've seen them like that. Whenever they came to visit, we never actually talked much. Just the simple "how are you" and blah blah blah. To be honest, we never actually acted like a family. It bothered me at first but I started getting used to it as I had gotten older.

Well, we've been sitting in my dorm for the past 5 minutes without saying a word. That is, until my dad broke the silence. 

"________, we really need to talk to you. After we tell you this, I hope you do not hate us and look at us any less." My dad said. 

I stared at him for a while. I didn't exactly know what to say but I just replied and said "Okay."

My mom took a deep breath. "_________, I don't know how to tell you this, but you're not our daughter. You're adopted." 

O.O SAY WHAT?! ARE YOU FRIGGEN KIDDING ME?! I was literally freaking out but I kept a straight face on. "Your serious?" I asked them. All I earned was a nod in response. "Why am I only finding this out now?"

"Because we didn't want to hurt you.."

"Hurt me? So telling me after 21 years makes everything all better right? That's just in great." 

"Please, let us explain." I looked up and glared at them. I nodded and signaled them to continue. My dad, or should I say my fake dad started speaking. 

"You see ________, your parents were close friends of ours. We would meet up with them occasionally when we were on business trips to California. When you were born, your mom passed away giving birth to you. After that, your dad just couldn't take care of you. He was too heartbroken so he ran away. You didn't have any other family members to take care of you so your mother and I decided we'd raise you ourselves. But you see, we already had a son back in Seattle. It would've been too much for him to bear because he was just so young. We decided to buy you an apartment and hire a nanny to take care of you until you could live on your own." My eyes had never left his. I listened and took in every word he was telling me. 

After a long silence, I decided it was my turn to speak. "So you're telling me, my mom is dead and my dad abandoned me right?" Both of them nodded. "So you guys decided to take me in and raise me but couldn't because you have a son of your own. So y'all decided to hire a complete stranger to raise me until I was old enough to be independent, is that right?" They looked confused and guilty. That time, they didn't nod or anything. My mom was about to speak but I interrupted. "I understand you guys have a family of your own but my own father who abandons me and my two adoptive parents who I hardly ever see except maybe twice a year is no different then having no parents at all." 

They looked down, not daring to make eye contact with them. No matter what though, I never looked away from them, not one bit. I continued on, "You should've left me there." That time, both of them had looked up. My mom's eyes were full of tears, sadness, and guilt. My dad was on the edge of crying. His eyes though, it definitely read guilty. 

My mom started to speak. "_________, I know we haven't acted like parents to you. I know we have never actually acted like a family. That was not our intention at all. We love you dearly and just want you to be happy." I laughed at the last part. 

"Happy? Ha. I haven't been happy in years, and the last time I was, and the very first time for that matter, it didn't involve you nor dad." I looked at her with a cold expression, not breaking eye contact. 

"______, we're sor-" My dad continued but was cut off by me. 

"Save it. I'm not mad." Both of them looked at me, completely shocked. 

"Wait, your not?" 

I sighed. "Surprisingly, I'm not." Both of them looked confused so I continued on, "Without you guys around, yeah it's been rough for me. But I did learn a few things on my own. And I do believe everything happens for a reason. You guys had your reasons as to why y'all were never around and that is because you have family of your own to take care of so I understand that. I'm 21 years old now. I'm too old to get upset about stuff like this, even if it is kind of huge but I do understand, and I don't hate either of you." I told them. They seemed impressed and gave me a smile. 

Both of them stood up, hovering over me. It was my turn to look at them confused. Before I knew it, they pulled me in for a group hug. "Thank you." was all they said before pulling away. 

I smiled and nodded. "So is that really the only reason you guys came here? To tell me that?" 

They exchanged glances and shook their heads. My dad took a deep breath and turned to me, "_________, we're sending you to South Korea to live with your brother."

 

 


Chapter 8 is finally up! What do you guys think of it? She finally learns the real truth about her past and her parents. She finally knows why her adopted parents acted the way she acted. Most importantly though, she found out she has to move to South Korea to live with her brother! How is she gonna react? Will she go? Or will she stay in New York? Stay tuned (:

Enjoy, subscribe, and comment!