Chapter 37

{{ Heartless, Mindless }}

 

- EPISODE 37 -

 
It has been 5 years. 


This place still look the same. The grass field, the playground, the giggles of children having fun and even the air smell the same. She walked on until she entered the building. As she paced along the aisle, a smile formed on her face unknowingly. Everything seems the same. Everything feels like yesterday.

"Excuse me, you are looking for..?" 

A voice interruped her. She turned around and found a familiar face looking at her.
That look stayed for awhile. 

"Aren't you...." That lady recognized her though she couldn't name her.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's really a long time. I almost couldn't recognize you just now." the lady smiled as she invites her into the lounge. "You look different from 5 years ago." she added with a kind smile. "I remember you were a young teenager back then, wiith that blonde tip hair and multiple pierces on your ears.." she said. "I was thinking you are really a pretty girl.. and a kind one."

"I was right. Look at you now, you have grown up to be a beautiful young lady... Miss Kim."


Upon saying that, Ms Park hands over a letter to Taeyeon.

"This is the letter Yoohyun ask me to write for her before she left 2 years ago. That silly girl has been waiting for you to return. Though she was disappointed that you didn't come by, she said she understand you must have your reason. Two years ago, a family came and decided to adopt Yoohyun. It's a good family. They emigrated to Canada shortly after they adopted Yoohyun. And Yoohyun told me to pass you this letter if you were to come one day.."

Taeyeon took the letter. She opened it.

"Taeyeon unnie. Do you still remember me? It has been 3 years since we met. I don't know where are you now and I really miss you. Last week, a family came. They look like nice people. Ms Park told me that the family wanted to adopt me. And if they do, I will have to migrate with them to Canada. Ms Park said Canada is a very faraway place. If I live with them in that place, I might never get to see you again."

As Taeyeon read, tears formed in her eyes. She flipped to the next page.

"And unnie, remember oppa? The handsome and cute Baekhyun oppa. Even though you weren't around, he visited me very often. He knew I loved lollipops and he bought me alot each time he came. Until I told him that I'm a grown-up girl now, and need no more lollipops. I still remember how embarassed he looked back then. Everytime he came, I will ask him about you. He just stayed quiet and smile. I don't know why, but I feel the smile on Baekhyun oppa changed alot. Since last year, Baekhyun oppa didn't come anymore. The last time he said he has to move to Pusan for work, and he didn't come since then.."

"Unnie, I want you to know that I will never forget the kindness from you and Baekhyun oppa. It's both of you who gave me a new life. I promise I will grow up to be like you and oppa. Be a nice person and help others. I will always remember the both of you and the good times we had together. - Yoohyun, 2016, Winter."


Back to the aisle along with Ms Park.

"I have to admit I cried when I was writing this letter for Yoohyun." Ms Park said. "I didn't expect an 8 years old girl can come out with all these touching words. I am sure she is very thankful for what you and Mr Byun has given her... a new life she said."

On one hand, Taeyeon felt happy for Yoohyun that she found a new life in Canada. But on the other hand, she misses her. Taeyeon thought by leaving this place, she could put everything behind. But in life, there are certain things you just never forget. 

As she walked, she found it on the noticeboard. It's still there.

"I asked Yoohyun if she wants to take this drawing with her, and she said no." Ms Park said. "She said you and Mr Byun are already in her heart, and she wanted to keep this here as it is. So in case you or My Byun come, this drawing will remind you of her."

"Deh.." Taeyeon finally speaked. "Can I borrow it for awhile?" 
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Taeyeon took the drawing, and she sat on one of the steps on the outdoor field. The cool breeze blew towards her face and her hair flow with the wind. Looking out at the green grass field, a lot of memories went through her mind.

"I'm sorry. If I have insulted you in any way, I'm sorry. Taeyeon-sshi." 

"How did you get my name?"

"That tattoo. Your name right?"

"Just mind your own business and don't let me see any one of you again!!"

Taeyeon recalled the first time Baekhyun calling her name. She touches her arm where the tattoo once resides. Taeyeon had that tattoo removed. Now it's just left with a small scar.

"Hey hey hey, let's be nice and let go of her!!!!" 

"You don't remember us? We met yesterday. Outside our school. You were having some issue with my sister...."

A small smile appeared on Taeyeon's face as she recalled how Sehun and Baekhyun tried to help her when she was confronted by the Beasts back then. Taeyeon missed Sehun too. His laughter, his silliness and she wondered if he's still the same, now that it has been so many years.

Taeyeon looked down on the drawing in her hands. She remember it was Baekhyun's wedding day when she left. On the same day, Baekhyun was shot by Jiyong. It has been 5 years. Taeyeon wondered how deep that scar has left on him. She knew the Ohs and Byuns will never forgive her. That is also why Taeyeon never thought of looking for them. Even when she walked past Cafe Monte that day, she didn't have the courage to step in.

Taeyeon is clear of the reason she returned to Seoul.

She took out a note.

"Taeyeon. How are you? Oppa is fine. It has been a good 5 years. I never lived my life like I did for these 5 years. You might be surprised to hear this but Oppa took lessons and manage to graduate with a cert in prison. (smile). I am surprised myself too. Another piece of good news. I had successfully quitted maurijuana. It was tough at the beginning. It felt worst than death. But I manage to push through. You know what, Oppa is healthier than a bull now. I'm sorry that I had to leave you alone for this period of time. But Taeyeon, I hope it paid off. It paid off for me, and Oppa hope it paid off for you too. I have learnt the meaning of happiness here. And I wished you learned it too. But... I guess I have to leave you alone for a longer period of time. I need more time to learn. To learn how to let go of you so you can seek for true happiness. Oppa promised I will look for you once I mastered that. - Jiyong"

Taeyeon came back for Jiyong. But she came to found that he was already released from jail a month earlier. Jiyong did not inform her nor reveal where he was going. He just left Taeyeon with the note.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~