Chapter 16

{{ Heartless, Mindless }}


- EPISODE 16 - 


The next day, Sehun made his way directly to Monte early in the morning. His head still spinning from the hangover, but he knew he had to apologize to Taeyeon asap for knocking out during their 'date'. He stopped his car by the street, squeezed his way through the morning rush and finally into the cafe. Taeyeon was busy handling the breakfast crowd while Sehun finds himself a table and waited. 

Taeyeon walked over to Sehun after the crowd dismissed. Sehun welcomed her with a smile. "Morning." Taeyeon greeted. "Feeling better today?" Sehun shook his head and held it with his fingers, "My head is still spinning."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have make you drink." She apologized. "No, it's me who pushed my own limits. Not your fault." Sehun quickly replied. "Did...did I....I... hope I didn't misbehave when I was drunk. Did I embarrass you or anything?"  He stuttered. Taeyeon thought for awhile. That made Sehun worried. His worrying face made Taeyeon laughed. She shook her head. "Nope, you look cute when you are drunk." Sehun widened his eyes. Taeyeon nods with a smirk, and that made Sehun blushed. After the short chat, Sehun is ready to go for his lesson. He spinned around to take a look at Taeyeon again before he leaves the cafe. 


"Wait, Sehun!" Taeyeon stopped him. "When is the ball?" She asked. Sehun returned her an unsure look. "Didn't you remember? You asked me to be your partner." Taeyeon explained. A grin slowly formed on Sehun's face. "I did?" He asked. Taeyeon nods with a small smile. That grin instantly turns into a huge smile. "Of course I did. Oh Sehun!" He thought in his mind. 
 

"It's the first Saturday of next month!" 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

"You are on form, dude!" Chanyeol patted hard on Sehun's shoulder. "You had a first date, and now she's going to be your partner!" Sehun could hardly hide his triumph since morning. He has been smiling the whole day. Sitting beside them is Baekhyun, and he has been awfully quiet. 

Chanyeol placed his arm over his best friend." Baek, what's wrong? You look moody today." Sehun looks up and nods in agreement. Baekhyun gave a weak smile. "Nothing, I'm just tired... maybe." He turned to Sehun, about to tell him his talk with Krystal last night but Sehun's phone ring cuts him.

"Umma?" Sehun talked into the phone. "Ok, we coming now." He answered relunctantly before he hung up and turned to Baekhyun. "Both of us are wanted. Let's go!" Sehun pulled Baekhyun and heads off to their destination.
 

The two boys reached the place. It was a classy shop selling exquisite gowns and tux. "Why are we here?" Baekhyun asked. Sehun just smiled. Soon, two familiar figures appeared. It was Sehun's mother and Krystal. "Great. Both of you are here." Sehun's mother welcomed them with a smile. Baekhyun gave a polite bow and looked over to Krystal who is dressed in a lovely red gown. 

"Woo-phew... my sister is such a beauty." Sehun whistled jokingly. Sehun's mother frowned at his son's lowly response, while Krystal smiled at his compliments. All of them looked over to Baekhyun, expecting him to say something. But Baekhyun just stood there, preoccupied with thoughts. "Baekhyuna~" Sehun's mother called. Baekhyun awaken from his thoughts, leans his body forward a little with politeness. "Yes, madam?" Sehun's mother held Baekhyun's arm. "Pick a tux. Take it as a gift from me." She offered with a smile.

Baekhyun overwhelmed by the offer and attempts to refuse it. "Don't worry about me. I already have something to wear for the ball." Sehun's mother shook her head. "Baekhyuna, you need a right tux to match with Krystal's red dress. Don't be shy. You deserve a nice gift from me." She smiled. Baekhyun hesitated and gave Krystal a quick glance. "Excuse me madam, I think Krystal and I need a talk." He gripped Krystal by her wrist before walking her to a corner.


"What is going on here? I thought we talked about it." Baekhyun asked. Krystal released his grip on her. "But I didn't agree to anything." Baekhyun closed his eyes and let out a sigh. "Krystal, we shouldn't drag this any longer. If you find it hard to talk to your parents. Let me do it." Baekhyun spinned around and intend to approach Sehun's mother. Krystal stopped him by pulling his arm. "Give me some time." Krystal said. "We need to find the right time to tell them. Let's wait until the ball is over, OK?" Baekhyun halts his move as he listens to Krystal. Krystal tighted her grip on Baekhyun's arm. "Pick a tux and we'll do this together. For one last time, please...?"


On the other hand, Sehun was browsing for his tux when a lovely dress caught his attention. It was a long sapphire blue gown with a slight v cut in front. He knew that's the right dress. He can totally imagine Taeyeon in it....
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

"I have checked. That ball you are attending is the annual year-end ball for the university. Usually, the rich families of the students will sponsor the function. It is meant for the rich and influentials to mingle and network. Another important objective, where the sons and daughters of the powerful families meet and potentially becomes a family. This is how the rich gets richer."

G-Dragon passed the information he gathered to Taeyeon. Taeyeon browsed through and found a familiar name. "Oh Sehun's father has been funding this event for the past few years. And he is funding it again this year." She said. G-Dragon nodded. "It's about time he finds a suitable candidate to be his daughter-in-law." Taeyeon brow furrowed in confusion. "If that's the case, why did Sehun ask me to be his partner?"

G-Dragon shook his head. "I'm not sure. It seems like Oh Sehun is not very cooperative with his father." Taeyeon gave a thought. "You mean Oh Sehun is asking me to be his partner in defiant of his father's intention to look for a bride for him?" G-Dragon nods. "Sehun's father is definitely looking for someone equally wealthy and influential to be his in-laws. He will definitely blow his top if he found out Sehun has me as his partner. A mid-towner." Taeyeon added. G-Dragon nods again. "Exactly. This is our good opportunity."
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

2 weeks passed. Baekhyun has been busy with school work lately and he seldom has time even for his close friends. Knowing he's tied up with work, Krystal stopped bothering him too. This day, Baekhyun left school late and was driving along the streets. Something interesting caught his attention. He pulled over.
 

"Are you alone? Where is your parents?" Taeyeon kneeled down in front of a little girl who seems lost on the street. That little girl is shivering. The thin coat on her obviously doesn't provide enough warm for the cold winter. Taeyeon heard foot steps approaching them. She looked up.

"It's you.."

"What's wrong?" Baekhyun kneeled beside her. "I think she needs help." Taeyeon said as she watched the stranded little girl. "Is she lost?" Baekhyun asked and stood up looking around for any parents who might be searching for their kid. Taeyeon stood up and joined him. But she gave up shortly. "I think she's not lost. She's abandoned." Taeyeon sighed as she bit her lips. Baekhyun spinned around and looked at Taeyeon. "How do you know?" He asked. "Look what she's wearing. If she was with her parents, they would have dressed her much warmer." Taeyeon eyes revealed sadness as she watched the girl again. 

"Let's bring her to the police then." Baekhyun suggested. He walked forward about to lift the girl's hand. "Wait." Taeyeon stopped him. She took out her money and count. A frowned appeared on her face. She looks up to Baekhyun and asks, "You have cash?" Baekhyun nodded and took out his wallet from his coat. "Enough?" He pulled out some cash and passed it to Taeyeon. Taeyeon nodded and asked him to wait there for her.

15 minutes passed. Taeyeon returned with some food and a coat. She placed the coat over the girl and offered the food to her. That girl quickly grabbed and nibbled. Both of them watched her as she eats. Baekhyun glanced at Taeyeon and found a satisfied smile on her face. That was the most genuine and sweet smile he ever saw on Taeyeon. 
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

Baekhyun's car passed by the Han River. He noticed Taeyeon's eyes were glued to the beautiful night scene of the river. He stopped his car by the side. "Why did you stop?" Taeyeon asked. Baekhyun didn't answer. He just walked off the car and made his way towards the river. Taeyeon followed. The Han River is really beautiful at night. Especially with Christmas approaching, the lightings are just awesome. Taeyeon stood beside Baekhyun and took in the beautiful scenery in front of her.

"Thank you." 

Taeyeon let out the words after almost 10 minutes of silence between them. "Thank me for?" Baekhyun asked. "Everything." Taeyeon smiled. "For coming to rescue me when I was stranded in Mid-town. For coming to help when Sehun was drunk with me. For helping me to send the abandoned girl to the police. Thank you, Baekhyun." For the first time, Taeyeon thanked him. It's also the first time she called his name like this.

"What I did was nothing compared to you." Baekhyun smiled. "I probably won't notice the abandoned girl if I was alone. But you did." Taeyeon looked down and hid the emotions on her face. Baekhyun noticed. "Are you okay?" He asked. Taeyeon nodded, but still looking down. "You are just too fortunate. Born with a silver spoon. Everything is well-provided since young. Never have to worry for your next meal. Never have to fear about the cold in winter. There are alot of people in this world who are going through hunger and fear. That girl is just one of the many. A lot have no choice because they are born in that kind of environment. But a lot was caused by their irresponsible parents." 

Baekhyun nods as he listens to Taeyeon. 

"Do you know there are many people out there who are envious and jealous of you?" Taeyeon turned her face to Baekhyun. Baekhyun returned a weak smile. "Nothing to be envious of. 'People like me' have my own problems." Taeyeon raised her brows. "You have problems too?" Baekhyun sat down on the bench. "But my problems are nothing compared to people who are suffering without food and warmth."

Of course Taeyeon can relate to those sufferings. She went through that. Hunger in the brutal cold. All that left a deep scar in her mind and heart. She always thought, if her parents had chosen a better way to dispose her, she wouldn't have gone through that. Or if some kind soul on the street has helped her or handled her to the police, her life would have changed. If not for Jiyong oppa, she won't be standing here watching the beautiful Han River.

"So what about your family? I never hear you mentioning besides your brother. Are they in Seoul?" Baekhyun asked. Taeyeon shook her head. "I have no one besides my brother." Baekhyun returned a surprised look. "My brother and I were abandoned by our parents." Taeyeon added. Baekhyun mouth opened slightly. Now he knew why Taeyeon felt for the girl and why she was so emotional when she talked about that. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that." Baekhyun apologized.

"Let's go." Taeyeon stood up and turned to walk towards Baekhyun's vehicle.
 

Baekhyun send Taeyeon back to Mid-Town. Along the way, there was nothing but silence between them. But there were deep thoughts in Baekhyun's mind. Everything makes sense now. Why did Taeyeon choose to lead her life in Mid-Town? She didn't choose it. Her parents caused it. Why doesn't she trust people easily? That trust had probably crushed since the day her parents abandoned her. Why did she behave so defensive and hostile when they first met her? She has to protect herself from being hurt again. Why is a young woman like her so tough and strong? The environment shaped her to be like this.

Baekhyun's car arrived Mid-Town. Again, Taeyeon stopped him at the main road. For the last few times he sent her home, it's the same spot where Taeyeon wants him to drop her. Though Baekhyun is curious about the kind of life she lives in, he respected her choice of keeping it private. 

Taeyeon alighted from Baekhyun's car. She turns back and asks, "You will there tomorrow right?"

Baekhyun nodded with a smile.

"I'll see you at the ball then. Good night." 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~