Chapter 22

{{ Heartless, Mindless }}


- EPISODE 22- 


"it's about time that you and Krystal gets engaged"

"I think Appa is right.... Both of you should get married as soon as possible." 

 "That's my sister you are talking about. Of course I want my sister to marry a good man and be happy!"


Those words kept whining in Baekhyun's head as he closed his eyes in the cab. After the fight with Sehun, he took a cab home instead. That was the biggest quarrel he had with Sehun in their 15 years of friendship. Sehun is the man he trusted the most in his entire life, but what he did today was the last thing Baekhyun would have expected from Sehun. 


"Then what's the meaning of you seeing Taeyeon behind my back?" 

It was all because of jealousy. Sehun was mad at him for seeing Taeyeon "behind his back". Baekhyun understand that. No man will feel comfortable when their girlfriend hangs around with other man. But it wasn't exactly... Baekhyun's brow furrowed as his eyes remained closed. He recalled that day he almost wanted to tell Sehun about Taeyeon hanging out with him, but he hesitated.


"Can you swear right now you have no feelings for her at all?" 

Baekhyun would have done so straightaway to make his best friend believe him, but he hesitated. If Taeyeon didn't appear, would he eventually give in and swear it infront of Sehun? Baekhyun was unsure.


"There is nothing more than friends between us..... never."

He opened his eyes looking out from the car window. "Sir, you have reached." Noticing the familiar surrounding, Baekhyun finally awakened from the thoughts. He paid the driver and alighted from the cab. Looking at the leaving vehicle, "I guess she is right" he thought.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Aren't you sending me home?" Taeyeon asked. Sehun pulled over at his own apartment. He paused for a second before turning his head to Taeyeon. "Accompany me for awhile." Sehun walked down from the car without waiting for Taeyeon's answer.


Entering the apartment, Sehun dropped himself onto the couch and pressed onto his temple. "Don't on the lights." He stopped Taeyeon who is about to turn on the lights in the living room. She obliged and walked over to sit beside him. Sehun naturally move himself closer and laid his head onto Taeyeon's shoulder. After a moment of silence, "I was jealous." Sehun confessed. "I was jealous when I saw the pictures of you and Baekhyun having fun and laughing together."


"Pictures?" Taeyeon asked. "What pictures??"

"It doesn't matter now." Sehun lifted his head from her shoulders. "What matter most is you know how I feel for you and you feel the same for me." Sehun smiled weakly as he stretched his arms to pull Taeyeon into his hug. "Was I being too harsh on Baekhyun?" he asked. "It's okay, you can tell me honestly." he added. Taeyeon gave a slight nod. "It's unfair for him to take all blame. I was in the wrong for not telling you too." 

"Then why didn't you tell me when I asked you?" Taeyeon hesitated before she continues. "That's because I know you will get jealous like this." Sehun smiled and tightened his hug on Taeyeon. "Yes, I will." he said softly. Staying in Sehun's arms, Taeyeon thinking of what Sehun just said. About pictures of Baekhyun and her. Who had those pictures?? Who showed them to Sehun?? Taeyeon closed her eyes trying to reorganize her thoughts while she stays in Sehun's warm chest.


"Taeyeon...."

Taeyeon pulled herself out from the hug. "Hm what?" she asked. Sehun lean forward until he is close enough to place his lips on hers. Their lips gently gel together, and it goes on long enough to keep both of their troubles and vexes off their head. The kiss progress itself down from the lips to Taeyeon's neck. Slowly and gently, Sehun leaded Taeyeon flat down on the couch. His pair of warm lips travelled its way further down from her neck, and Taeyeon can feel Sehun's hands moving up her body until they reach the first button of her blouse.

"Sehun..." Taeyeon held onto his hand to stop him from ing her blouse. "I think I gotta go." she said. Sehun stopped, removed his hands and lifted his body away from hers. Both of them sit up on the couch. "I'm sorry." Sehun looked at her and apologized. "It's okay, I understand." Taeyeon looked down avoiding his gaze. "It's late. Let's go." Taeyeon stood up grabbing her coat, preparing to leave.


But Sehun held onto her wrist and stopped her. "Don't go back. Stay here with me tonight." 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-On the other hand -


"Can I come in?" Krystal knocked on the half-opened door of her father's study room. "Sure." Her father gestured her to enter. "It's late, why aren't you sleeping?" he asked. Krystal sighed and sat down on the armchair beside him. "I couldn't sleep." she said.

"Still worrying about that girl?" Her father asked as he put down his documents to give Krystal his full attention. Krystal pouted and signed. "I just have this bad feeling.." Her father smiled and  her head. "Don't worry. I will talk to Uncle Byun regarding the engagement. You just need to wait for the day to come. And it will be very soon." he said. Krystal nodded with a smile.

"So you letting her into Oh's Coporation?" she asked. Her father thought for awhile. "If that can exchange your brother's commitment to the company, it's worth a try." he said. "Maybe it's not a bad idea. With her in our close proximity, we can watch her closely. Just give her some unimportant roles, like a receptionist or admin staff. Anyway, she won't be around with us for long." Krystal said. Her father nodded in agreement. 


- Flashback -
 

Before Saturday Dinner

"What? You want me to approve your brother and that mid-town girl?" Sehun's father startled. "Appa, you have to! At least for the time being!" Krystal pleaded. "No way. Over my dead body, Krystal!" Her father insisted firmly on his stand. Driven by desperation, Krystal walked over and flashed the pictures of Baekhyun and Taeyeon to her father. "If you stopped her from getting Oppa, she will lay her hands on Baekhyun! Look, she is already doing it!" 

Sehun's father looked at the pictures and smiled coldly at Krystal. "This is not surprising. What else can a girl like her do?" he commented. "This being the case, the more I should stop Sehun from seeing her." Her father added while walking his way to his work desk. Krystal followed. "Appa, this is more serious than what you think. Baekhyun oppa he...." she stuttered with her tears came rushing down. "What's with Baekhyun? Don't tell me he fell for that girl too? " Her father asked. Krystal nodded as she sniffed in her tears. "But he has always been a trustworthy boy. You sure you didn't make a mistake?" he asked again.

"Girls' sixth sense won't lie. He even mentioned about breaking the pact you and Uncle Byun made. He wants a break-up..." 


Her father heard her and thought for while. "Then what do you want Appa to do? You are my daughter and Sehun is my son. Both of you are precious to me." Krystal took a deep breath and and cleared . "I have a plan. It's going to be perfect for all of us." Her father looked at her for a second before deciding to hear her out. "What plan?"

"Approve them for now. There is no loss for us. Firstly, it will mend your relationship with Oppa. He will be so grateful that you approved his love and he will respect you for that. With Oppa by her side, she will not touch Baekhyun. Even if she wants to, Oppa won't let that happen. And also Baekhyun, I know him. Oppa is his best friend, he won't touch his best friend's girl. And as time goes by, either Oppa will lost interest in her or she will show her true colors. When that happens, Oppa will just ditch her without us having to do anything. And in the mean time, expedite my relationship with Baekhyun...."


- Flashback ends -


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 - Few days later -


It was mid-afternoon after the busy lunch crowd. Taeyeon was cleaning the counter when she heard someone entering the empty cafe. She turned around and found Baekhyun. He is alone. It has been a few days since the episode between the three of them. Taeyeon knew it might be awkward for them to meet again, but they can't possibly avoid each other forever.


"Annyeong.." Taeyeon greeted Baekhyun with a smile.

"Hi.." Baekhyun greeted back.


"What do you want to have today? As usual?" Taeyeon asked. "No, I had lunch already." Baekhyun replied. "I'm actually here to look for you." "Me?" she asked. "Sehun's professor wanted me pass this to him. I guess it's urgent." Baekhyun took out a report and handed it to Taeyeon. 

Taeyeon took over the report. "Why didn't you pass it to Sehun yourself?" she asked. Baekhyun forced a smile at her question. "You guys still not talking?" she asked. Baekhyun shooked his head. "I didn't get to see him in school for the past 3 days." Taeyeon titled her head. "Sehun was down on fever so he stayed home these few days. You are not aware?" she asked. Baekhyun widened his eyes and shook his head. "No, I texted him, but he didn't... Never mind. Is he okay?"

Taeyeon nods, "He got better. I guess he was sick and that's why he didn't respond to you." Baekhyun smiled weakly at Taeyeon's explanation. "I hope so. Please pass the report to him on my behalf. Thanks, and.. I'll see you around. Bye. " Baekhyun turned round to leave but he knocked onto someone who just entered the cafe.

"I'm sorry." Baekhyun apologized as he bent down to pick up his stuffs dropped during the collision. Taeyeon walked over. "Wait, Baekhyun." she called. Taeyeon removed her apron and asked her colleague to take over from there. "Actually there's something I need to tell you. Let's talk outside." Taeyeon leaded Baekhyun out of the cafe before the latter has a chance to respond.

 

"About what happened, I was at fault too."

Baekhyun turned his head to Taeyeon. "What?" he asked. "I lied to Sehun about us. I told him we never see each other but the fact is we did." she explained. "I'm sorry. If I knew Sehun will react this way, I should have come clean with him right from the start." Hearing what Taeyeon said, Baekhyun brows furrowed. "But why do you have to lie?" he asked softly. Taeyeon hesitated. She then shrugged with a weak smile. "Maybe because I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. If not for those pictures, there won't be such a huge misunderstanding."

"Pictures??" Baekhyun asked.

Taeyeon nodded. "Sehun mentioned about pictures of you and me. Someone have taken pictures of us in the orphanage and show them to Sehun." Baekhyun looked aside and thought for awhile. Taeyeon noticed the change of facial expression on him. "Do you know who could be the person who did that?" she asked. Baekhyun hesitated.


"You know who did it right?" Taeyeon asked further. Baekhyun shook his head. "I'm not sure. But I was with Krystal before meeting you at the orphanage that day."
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~