Chapter 21

{{ Heartless, Mindless }}

- EPISODE 21 - 


"What's the urgent matter?" Sehun sat down in the cafeteria with Krystal. He came to meet her immediately after receiving her call. "You'll love to hear this." Krystal smirked. "You can invite your girlfriend home for dinner this Saturday." Sehun eyes widened and straightened his body. "You talked to Appa? He is okay with Taeyeon going to our house for dinner?" he asked. Krystal nodded with folded arms.

Sehun couldn't hide his thrill over the good news. "How did you do that?" Krystal returned a cocky grin at his brother. "I always have my ways." Sehun smiled impressively at her, while Krystal's grin turns into a stern face. "I have done my part. So now it's your turn." .


Sehun bit his lips and looked at his sister. "What do you want me to do?" "Bring Baekhyun along this Saturday." Krystal requested. "Why?" Sehun asked. "Don't ask so much. Just bring him along. I'll do the rest. You'll just need to play along then." Krystal explained. Sehun sighed and hesitated.

"You are not backing out, are you?" Krystal questioned her brother. Sehun clear his throat. "I don't know what you gonna do but please don't go too far. Baekhyun is my best friend." he said. Krystal laughed at her brother's comment. "What do you think I will do? Like you, all I want is to keep the person I love by my side. Don't worry oppa. Whatever I do is for everyone's good." 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Why are you here so early today?" Taeyeon walked over to Sehun who is sitting at a corner of the cafe waiting for her to knock off. "I'm in good mood so I decided to skip a few lectures to end my day early." Sehun smiled. Taeyeon let out a small laugh. "Wow something good must have happened." Sehun nodded and widened his smile. "Yep! And we'll talk about that later. You just proceed with your stuff. Don't have to bother about me. I'll just wait here." 


"Really?" Taeyeon with a surprised look on her face. "Your parents inviting me over for dinner?" she asked doubtfully. Sehun nodded with a huge grin. "Now you know why I'm so happy today." Sehun holding onto Taeyeon hands tightly as they stroll down the streets. Taeyeon thought for awhile. "That's very surprising. How did you talk them around?" she asked. "It wasn't me actually, it's Krystal." Sehun replied.

"Krystal??" Taeyeon stopped her pace and looked at Sehun. "Yeah, I told you before. Krystal is helping us to convince my father. She's wilful and all that, but she really has a way with my dad." Sehun laughed. Taeyeon nodded, but with a huge question mark stucked in her head. Taeyeon knew Krystal never liked her. Judging from the way Krystal brought her down and made her embarassed in front of her parents, there is no reason for her to help them. That girl must be up to something...
 

"What are you thinking about?" Sehun interrupted. "Are you worrying about meeting my parents?" he asked. Taeyeon who barely recovered from her thoughts, just nods her head. Sehun smiled and held onto her arms. "Don't worry. No matter what happens, I'll be right beside you." That was sweet. Sehun has been nice and patient to Taeyeon, which makes it challenging for her. She could hardly be harsh on Sehun for anything. Everything he said, everything he does, he always puts her in his first interest. There is no one in this world who treats her this way, besides Jiyong.

As they continue to stroll along the busy street, Taeyeon glanced at Sehun who is walking beside her. His grip on her hand is tight as usual. Looking at him - tall, good-looking, smart, rich, gentle, innocent, Sehun certainly deserves a much better girl than herself. To be honest, Taeyeon is overwhelmed by how much Sehun actually cares for her. She thought he is going to be just a player, and thus will not put in his best or rather feelings into this relationship. But she was so wrong. Sehun is serious about her and that worries Taeyeon. But she hardly has time to worry about that now. There are too many things in her mind - helping Jiyong oppa, getting hold of the evidences, meeting Sehun's parents, thinking of what Krystal is up to, and there is one person in her mind..


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Saturday Evening -


Sehun pulled over his car near Taeyeon's house. "Taeyeon joining us for the dinner too?" Baekhyun asked. Sehun simply nodded. With an awkward smile, Baekhyun looked at Sehun. "Since you already have a date, why ask me along?" he asked. "It's just a dinner. No big deal." Sehun replied.

From far, they saw Taeyeon walking towards Sehun's car. Baekhyun unbuckled his seat belt and moved to the back seat for Taeyeon to take over the front seat. "Annyeong..." Taeyeon greeted as she entered the car. Seeing Baekhyun at the back seat, she greeted him with a smile and turned to Sehun, "I didn't know Baekhyun is joining us too." Sehun didn't say a word. He simply smile and proceed to their destination.


Pulling over at his parent's garage. "Your house??" Baekhyun asked. Sehun smiled. "It's been some time since you came over. Remember? My father tasked me to bring you here more often." The three of them alighted from the car. Baekhyun feeling out-of-place and awkward as he walked behind the couple. He didn't expect himself to be here, with Taeyeon and Sehun especially. Sehun just asked him out earlier but he didn't mention about having dinner at his house. And the other thing, Sehun is bringing Taeyeon over for dinner. Does it mean Sehun's parents have approved them? - Baekhyun's mind full of thoughts as they walked past the garden.


Entering the house. As usual, they were welcomed by Sehun's mother. She smiled dearly at his son and Baekhyun, but when it's Taeyeon's turn to bow to her, she forced a smile before leading them to the dining area. Sehun's father and Krystal are already sitting at the dining table waiting for them. 

"Taeyeon-unnie"

Krystal called as she walked over to Taeyeon, putting her arms around hers. Krystal's sudden friendliness surprised Sehun, Baekhyun and Taeyeon herself. Taeyeon forced a smile in return. Krystal leaded Taeyeon to the seat beside Sehun's and invites her to sit down. Then, she walked over to Baekhyun and pulled him to the seat beside herself.


"Taeyeon-sshi.." Sehun's father called. "I'm glad you came. I hope you don't mind what happened at the ball earlier." Taeyeon straightened her body and leaned forward with politeness. "No, please don't say that Sir. It was my fault to appear myself and ruin the event. Do accept my apology." Taeyeon said with a bow. "Appa. Let's just start the dinner." Sehun cuts in to ease the awkwardness.


The dinner was all quiet and awkward. Everyone just focus on their food until Krystal decided to break the silence. "Taeyeon-unnie.." she called. "Are you still working at the cafe?" Taeyeon nodded. "Since you are dating my brother now, I don't think it's a good idea to work in a cafe." she casually commented. "Why not?" Taeyeon asked. "Well you know, there are different people walking in and out of the cafe.."


"You are working? Don't you have to attend school or university?" Sehun's mother asked. Taeyeon shook her head. "No, I don't. I quitted school when I was sixteen." Sehun's mother jaw dropped. "Oh dear, you didn't even finish your high-school?" Sehun's mother commented as she exchanged displeased glances with her husband. "Although Taeyeon didn't finish her high-school, her life experiences made up for that. She's even more street-smart and clever than your son here." Sehun defended. He turned to Taeyeon. "But Krystal is right about working in the cafe. It's too tough for you. Maybe you should look out for other jobs." 


An idea then strikes Sehun's mind. "How about Oh's corporation? he suggested. Taeyeon almost choked on her rice. "Oh's corporation?" Sehun's father responded. "Yeah, any post will be good. Taeyeon is smart. I'm sure you can find something for her." Sehun pleaded but his father is reluctant. "Appa, you always wanted me to stay in the company to learn ropes from you right? If you get Taeyeon to work there, I promise I will spend time with you in the company whenever I can." 

Taeyeon looked at Sehun as he pleaded.

"Even Heaven is on my side? Or is it fated for Sehun to unknowingly help me in the plan?" 



"Appa, please consider that." Sehun pleaded again. "Let me think about it first." His father reluctantly replied before shifting his attention to Baekhyun. "Baekhyuna, what took you so long to come for dinner? I told you to come here more often. I want you to spend more time with my family, especially my daughter. She has been telling me you barely have time for her."

Baekhyun straighten his body and clear his throat. "Actually, Krystal and I....." he stuttered. "I think it's about time." Sehun's mother interrupted. Sehun's father got her point and laughed. "Yeah, I think it's about time that you and Krystal gets engaged." Baekhyun's eyes widened looking at the two elders. "Engaged??"

"Appa, we have guest today. Let's talk about this another day." Krystal faked her embarassment in front of the crowd. "There is nothing to be shy about. You and Baekhyun has been dating for quite some time. We should settle your engagement soon." Her father insisted. "Taeyeon-sshi, I hope you don't mind us talking about Krystal and Baekhyun's engagement here. This is an important matter to our family." 


"Actually I..." Baekhyun tried to explain but was quickly cut in by his BEST friend. "I think Appa is right.." Sehun said. "Both of you should get married as soon as possible." Sehun's words caught Baekhyun off-guard. He stared at him across the table, showing disbelief that Sehun who knew his situation better than anyone, actually said that right at his face. 

"I believe Baekhyun's father will agree to it. He is even more impatient than me. We'll just need to set a date." Sehun's father laughed as he shared the joy with his wife. "Settle the engagement first, and when the two of you get graduated in a few year's time, we'll proceed with your wedding preparations." Sehun's mother added. Krystal smiled shyly at his parents.


Taeyeon on the other hand, focus on her dinner quietly while the family celebrates their joy over the newly announced engaging couple. She felt awkward. Not like she care the family treated her like invisible and started their own topic like she never exists. But rather.. Baekhyun and Krystal are getting engaged.

Taeyeon looked across the table. Surprise to find that she wasn't the only one not thrilled by the news. Baekhyun's face is as stiff as hers. He doesn't look excited at all. But why? Isn't he dating Krystal for quite awhile? And he is in such a good term with Sehun's family. How come he is not showing even abit of thrill about the engagement?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After dinner, Sehun walks Baekhyun and Taeyeon to the garage to collect his car. On the way there, it's just silence between the three of them. Each of them is preoccupied with their own thoughts. 


"Erm, congratulation on your coming engagement." Taeyeon decided to break that silence. Baekhyun raised his head and looked at her. His face still as stiff, and it's showing anger. He didn't respond to Taeyeon. Instead, he walked up to Sehun.

"We need to talk." Baekhyun said. Sehun simply nodded. "You get into the car first and wait for us there." Sehun passed the car keys to Taeyeon before joining Baekhyun in the backyard.
 

"What was going on?" Baekhyun asked. Sehun looked away. "I don't know what you are talking about." Baekhyun stared at his best friend. "Why did you say that during the dinner? You knew very well what's going on between me and Krystal. And you promised me you'll stay out of the matter!" Sehun looked down without answering. "Is it planned? Bringing me here for dinner, and talking about wanting me and Krystal to get married even you know very well what's going on?! What's gone into you, Sehun??" Baekhyun questioned.

Sehun raised his head. "That's my sister you are talking about. Of course I want my sister to marry a good man and be happy!" Sehun claimed. Baekhyun shook his head in disappointment. "Happy? And you think she will be happy to marry a man who doesn't love her? You agreed with me to end the relationship with her. But now, you are going back on everything. And you took me by surprise! What is the meaning of that?" 

"What's the meaning of that? Then what's the meaning of you seeing Taeyeon behind my back?" Sehun questioned back. Baekhyun brows furrowed on what came out from Sehun's mouth. "Don't give me that face! Don't think I don't know what's going on! You have likings for Taeyeon right from the start, right?? Unfortunately for you, I got her first!"

Baekhyun couldn't believe his ears. "What are you talking about? What's between me and Taeyeon?" he asked. "Stop lying at my face. Can you swear right now you have no feelings for her?" Sehun demanded. Baekhyun was caught off-guard again. Sehun was right for the part that he didn't come clean with those one-to-one time he spent with Taeyeon. But it wasn't totally like what Sehun think. And how did Sehun even come to learn about those things in a wrong way? 

"Look. It isn't what you think." Baekhyun said. Sehun gave a cold laugh. "Then can you swear that you have no feelings for Taeyeon at all?" Sehun requested again.


"Sehun, I..." Baekhyun stopped.

"What is going on here?"

Sehun spinned around and found Taeyeon standing behind him. "Are you guys having a fight?" she asked. "No, you stay out of this. It's between me and him." Sehun said. "But I heard my name." Taeyeon said.

Sehun looked down and his lips. Baekhyun stepped forward. "Since Taeyeon is here. Let's come clean." he said. "Yes, I did spend some time with Taeyeon alone without telling you. But it wasn't what you think." Baekhyun explained. Taeyeon stayed quiet as Baekhyun explained. Apparently Sehun learned about Baekhyun and her even when both of them didn't mention anything to him. She couldn't figure out how Sehun found out. Someone must have knew it and told him. But who?


"Sehun, you have misunderstood everything." Taeyeon finally responded. 

"There is nothing more than friends between us. Never."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My apology for being a bad authornim having short & irregular updates. I tried my best as I have been busy lately. Plus, no interactions between the characters in real-life is not helping (baekyeon broke my heart =<, while seyeon still alive, thank god!).

I'm very thankful for all the comments and subscriptions. It keeps me going. I love u all! <3