Chapter 24

{{ Heartless, Mindless }}


- EPISODE 24 - 

Sehun and Taeyeon rushed to the hospital. Reaching the Cardiology department, Krystal and Sehun's parents were already there. "How's Uncle Byun?" Sehun asked. His father shook his head in distress. "It's not optimistic." Krystal said. "Dr Jung is trying his best inside. Uncle Byun might not make it."


Taeyeon heard and turned her head to Baekhyun who is sitting alone at a corner. She couldn't see his face because he rested it in his palms. Taeyeon knows he must be feeling awful right now. Sehun walked towards him and placed his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. "Hey.. Uncle Byun will be fine." Sehun said as he patted on Baekhyun's back. Baekhyun nodded slightly, lifted his head up against the wall and closed his eyes.


Time passed slowly as it enters 2am the next morning.

Dr Jung exits from the operating theatre and the half-asleep crowd jumped up hearing the opening slid-door. "How's my father?" Baekhyun asked. "We managed to stabilize his condition for now." Hearing that, Baekhyun and the Oh's family let a sigh of relief. "But Mr Byun's heart is still very weak. He could get a relapse anytime and it could danger his life if that happens. For the next few days, we'll put him in CCU (Cardiac Care Unit) under observations." Dr Jung said.

"Thank you so much." Baekhyun bowed to the doctor. "Remember, your father cannot take any more agitation or excitement. Try to keep him calm always." Dr Jung advised before taking his leave.


"Thank god, he got through." Sehun's parents let out a huge relief sigh. Sehun gave a light pat on Baekhyun's shoulder, "Don't worry, everything is fine now." Baekhyun closed his tired eyes and gave Sehun a nod. "I'm sorry to keep all of you here. Thank you for staying around." He said with his weak voice before bowing to the elders. Looking up, Baekhyun finally noticed Taeyeon who is quietly standing among the Oh's family. "Baekhyun ah, it's tough on you the entire night. Go back and take some rest. Your father will be fine under the care of Dr Jung." Sehun's father advised.

"It's okay, I'm staying here with my father tonight." Baekhyun replied. He then turned to Sehun. "Please send your parents and Krystal home. They have been around since last night. They must be very tired already." he said. Sehun nodded. "Don't worry about that. You sure you can handle this alone?" he asked. "Baekhyun oppa, I'm not going home. Let me stay with you and Uncle Byun." Krystal requested while holding onto his arm. Baekhyun shook his head and removed her hands. "I'm fine here alone. Don't worry your parents. Just go back with them..." 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sehun took Taeyeon with him to pick up his car while his family waited at the hospital lobby. "Sehun ah.." Taeyeon called. "Hmm?" Sehun responded with a huge yawn. "Just send your parents and Krystal home. I can take a cab." she said.  "But...." Sehun hesitated. "It should be easy to catch a cab here. Your family is tired and you are tired too. Just send them home and stay with them for the night. I can take care of myself." Taeyeon said. Sehun reluctantly took in her words and walked her to the cabby stand.

Waiting for the cab alone in the cold temperature, Taeyeon blew her hands to give herself warmth. Looking around the almost souless streets along the hospital drive, it reminds her of Baekhyun. She knew how tough and fearful it is to handle the loss of a kinship alone.  Baekhyun's father may have pulled through tonight, but he is still on the verge of having a relapse which can take away his life anytime.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Baekhyun rested his head against the wall outside the CCU. Every now and then, a couple of nurses walked in and out of the CCU. All he can hear was nothing but the beeping sound of medical equipments. Baekhyun closed his eyes tightly and what happened earlier the day played back in his mind.


"You wanted me to marry Krystal just to ensure yourself a portion of the huge empire pie, isn't it? Everything is just part of your business whatever strategy. Just admit it!" 

"No matter you agree or not, there is NOT going to be any engagement!!" 

"What happen to you?? You have never talk to me like this before!!"

"Appa, I think we are not getting anywhere. Let's talk again when we both cooled down..."

Baekhyun turned his back and walked out from the living room. A loud tumbling sound shocked Baekhyun. He turned around and found his father falling onto the ground grabbing onto his chest. "Appa!!!" Baekhyun ran over and held onto his father. "Where's your medicine??" Baekhyun tried to reach for it at the direction his father is pointing to. But it was too late. He collapsed.


Approaching footsteps interrupts his thoughts. Baekhyun crack open his eyes and look to the direction. "I thought you went back with Sehun already?" He straightened his back seeing Taeyeon standing right beside him. Taeyeon didn't reply. She just sat down next to Baekhyun, facing the CCU entrance.

After a moment of silence....

"It's scary, isn't it?" Taeyeon asked. "Sitting here alone not knowing when and what is going to happen. Each time a nurse came out from there, your heart sank and wondering if anything has happened to your father." She looked at Baekhyun. "This is how it feels like, right?"  

Baekhyun watched Taeyeon as she nailed every single word she said. He wondered how Taeyeon managed to read his mind. He tried hard to hide it infront of the Oh's, he even hid it infront of Dr Jung, that he is not just worried, he is scared. Baekhyun wanted to be alone so he doesn't have to force himself to hide his fears infront of others. But how did someone like Taeyeon whom he doesn't really speak to, knew exactly what he is feeling inside?


"It's my fault my father ended up here." he said softly. Uncertain if she should ask more, Taeyeon kept silence and allow Baekhyun to speak on his own will. "We had a fight. I said something that made him very angry. I know his heart is weak, and yet I choose to agitate him." Baekhyun's eyes turns red as he goes on. "He was not feeling well today, that's why he came home early to rest. And yet, I chose to....." Tears starts falling down from Baekhyun's face, even he tried stopping them with his palm.

Taeyeon brows furrowed. 

In her eyes, Baekhyun is one who always keep his composure perfect. Always cool-headed, calm and empathizing no matter what happens. Right now, this man is breaking down in tears in front of her. He's feeling helpless, scared and fearful. All these feelings Taeyeon are not unfamiliar with. Taeyeon leaned forward and gently placed her arms around Baekhyun, offering her shoulders for him to cry on. Baekhyun took it.

"I'm really scared." Baekhyun rest his chin on her shoulder. "I don't want to lose him. He's the only kin I have now. And my late mother will never forgive me if there is anything happened to my father..."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


The next morning, Taeyeon opened her eyes and found her head lying on Baekhyun's shoulder. Both of them stayed together for the last 5 hours. Baekhyun was in her arms for as long as she can remember until both of them got tired and slept. Lifting her head up, she found Baekhyun still deep in his sleep. She didn't want to wake him because she knew he had a tiring night, and it's not easy for him to fall into sleep.

Gazing Baekhyun that closely for the first time. Seeing his brows slightly furrowed as he sleeps, it saddens Taeyeon to see Baekhyun in so much pain. In the past, she used to think Sehun and Baekhyun are the luckiest people on earth and yet, they don't realize how fortunate they are. But now she knew she was wrong. Sehun may appear to be a well-to-do spoilt brag, but he turns out to be a kind innocent man who is leading his life (sadly) with a house of crafty and scheming individuals. And Baekhyun, he may appear to be well-provided for and leading a perfect life in all aspects, but there is always a tint of depress and worry in him.

Baekhyun's eyes moved. Noticed he is awake, Taeyeon immediately faked her sleep.


Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and found Taeyeon sleeping beside him. He knows she has been there for him the entire night. He recalled himself breaking down in front of Taeyeon. That's probably the last thing a man would want to do in front of a woman. But after spilling and crying everything out to Taeyeon, Baekhyun felt less burdened. Looking at the sleeping face, he always knew Taeyeon has a soft side beneath her tough and cold upfront. Sehun is lucky to have her, he thought. Gazing down to her lips, something that Baekhyun isn't totally unfamiliar with. They shared a kiss before, but that was a long time ago. Baekhyun know this isn't the right time, but he found himself leaning forward, moving his face close to Taeyeon's until his lips reaches hers....almost.

But he stopped. Baekhyun retreated.

Something in his mind reminded him what he intend to do is wrong. He can't betray Sehun, his best friend. The CCU door slid opened. Baekhyun saw Dr Jung walking out from it. He instantly dropped the thoughts and walked up anxiously to Dr Jung. Meanwhile, Taeyeon opened her eyes....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bear with me, Seyeons. <3

Up next, what will happen to Baekstal, Seyeon and Baekyeon?

Expect to see a little more Gtae....

Not a very long chapter 24, Sorry. But more is up soon (I hope) !