Rain, Wash Away The Pain

That Girl, Which Boy?

‘I don’t believe you one single bit’

‘It’s true Han! Baekhyun told me so!’

‘Chanyeol’s getting married? That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard you say’

‘It’s true! Why don’t either of you believe me?’

You were having a catch up chat with Ah Ri and Maddie, just like old times.

‘Because it’s absurd. Why would Chanyeol be getting married?’ Ah Ri said

‘Did Baekhyun say why Chanyeol got punched?’ You asked, replaying last nights events in your mind.

You had come home only to open the door and see Chanyeol bending over whilst holding his nose. Chen had obviously done it and you hadn’t been able figure out why but later that evening when Chanyeol snuck back into the dorm, he told you it was because he had auctioned off a pair of Chen’s boxers and then used the money to buy his lunch. It was odd, you had to admit, but it was Chanyeol and therefore reasonable. You also thought that Baekhyun might have had a say in the boxer prank as he was in charge of all things laundry. You just hoped the boxers Chanyeol had sold were clean.

‘No,’ Maddie said, ‘he didn’t say anything about that.’

Ah Ri’s phone bleeped and she pulled it out, scrolling through the message before standing up.

‘Where are you going?’

‘I’m going to a performance recording with Luhan. He’s going to see a friend of his and I’m going to see my brother.’

‘He never mentioned he was going out today.’
‘That’s because he’ll be back by dinner.’ Ah Ri replied with a smile, ‘anyhow, he’s waiting by the front entrance so I’d better go. We want to get there early so we can talk to them for as long as possible.’

‘Are you allowed backstage?’

‘I am since I’m family here to visit. Luhan’s going to try but he should get in via their manager since he was a trainee.’

‘Makes sense,’ Maddie said, ‘so I’ll see you for dinner then?’

Ah Ri nodded, ‘I’ll be back at the condo by 8.’

‘Tell me if you’re not going to make it, alright? I’ll eat with Baekhyun instead if that’s okay with you, Haneul?’

You nodded, ‘you can eat Luhan’s share.’


Maddie didn’t come for dinner later that night and Luhan was the one to eat his share. What Maddie had said earlier that day however was playing on your mind. A neat bruise had formed on the underside of Chanyeol’s nose and you couldn’t stop staring at it during dinner. Chen too, couldn’t stop glancing at what he had done and he had calmed down a lot from what you saw. Once dinner was over, curiosity took over you and you asked to talk to Chanyeol. Privately. He obliged willingly, putting on his shoes and casually walking out of the dorm and you had to run, hop and skip a little to keep up with him.

‘Yeollie! Wait up!’ you yelled after him, hopping on one foot as you tugged on the back of your trainer, desperately trying to catch up to him. ‘Chanyeol!’

He turned back and waved. ‘Come on slowpoke! You wanted to talk so let’s talk!’

You groaned and ran, tackling him by jumping on his back. He laughed and spun around until you couldn’t hold on any longer.

‘You’re such a snail, princess’

‘That’s rich coming from a sloth like you’

‘I’m not lazy’ Chanyeol said, crossing his arms and sitting down on a wooden bench.

‘I know,’ you replied, ‘if you were lazy, how could you be a prince? Or a knight?’

‘I prefer prince’ he said with a grin, ‘but now that we’re alone, what did you want to say?’

‘First off, is your nose alright?’

Chanyeol chuckled, ‘could be better but it could have been broken. It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve been punched though, am I right?’ he winked.

You nodded, ‘if its just bruised, it should heal up in no time.’

‘That’s right, Princess.’

‘Can I ask you why Chen hit you?’

Chanyeol hesitated and as he was about to open his mouth, you stopped him.

‘I asked for no more secrets on my birthday so I hope you’ll tell me the truth, Yeollie.’

Chanyeol sighed.

‘You want the truth?’

‘I’d appreciate it more than being lied to’


Chanyeol nodded. Deep down, he knew he’d have to explain it to you. If he was going to solve this problem, he’d soon have to either confess or supress his feelings and being honest was crucial for any relationship. He took a deep breath and thought about how to phrase it.

‘That night I met my parents, they asked me to come home.’

‘And you didn’t?’

‘No.’

‘Who knows?’

‘The older hyungs know- Xiumin, Luhan, Kris and Suho.’

‘Why didn’t you go back?’ you asked

‘I have a life here now, you know.’ Chanyeol said, ‘I have the guys, I have Park-ssaem, I have noona and I have you. It’s all I need. With everyone by my side, I feel confident in myself.’

‘What did your parents say when you told them you didn’t want to live with them?’

‘They understood my reasons but they told me I can’t run away from who I am.’

‘And that is?’

‘An heir to a multi-million company. I’m supposed to inherit the wealth and although I don’t really want it, I have ‘duties’ to do.’

‘Duties like getting married?’

Chanyeol’s jaw dropped, ‘you… you knew?’

‘Maddie told me earlier today.’

‘Damn Baekhyun and his talkative mouth. I should have been the one to tell you.’

‘Are you going to marry her?’ you asked, ‘did you meet her?’

Chanyeol frowned, ‘I’ve met her but no, I won’t marry her. Never.’

‘Why not?’

‘She… She’s not my type.’

‘Chanyeol, you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.’

‘I’m not. She’s lovely, truly. She’s clever. She’s great at speaking. She’s really pretty too but… no, she’s not the one. Not the one that I want to marry.’

‘Perhaps marriage is a bit forward,’ you reasoned, ‘but how about dating her for a bit?’

Chanyeol looked at you with one eyebrow raised, half impressed at how clueless you were and the other half slightly annoyed.

‘It wouldn’t be fair to her, even if she was my type.’

‘Yeollie, your lack of confidence is outstanding,’ you said, ‘you’re good-looking, clever, hard-working and you smell nice. It’s win-win.’

‘That’s lovely of you to say, Princess but-’
‘You should give it a go.’

‘No, I won’t’ Chanyeol said stubbornly, ‘I’m not going date her.’

‘I think you should give her a chance! Don’t be so stubborn!’

‘Princess, don’t you see? It wouldn’t be fair to her!’

‘You keep saying that but you’re wrong. You’re a catch, Chanyeol. Any girl would be lucky to have someone like you!’

‘Don’t you see, Haneul?!’ Chanyeol shouted, suddenly raising his voice, ‘it wouldn’t be fair to her because I’d never be good enough for her! Not because I’m not a catch but because I could never love her as much as she should be loved!’

‘What are you saying?’

‘I would never give her the love she deserves!’

‘You don’t know that, Chanyeol.’

‘It wouldn’t be fair on the girl I’m supposed to marry if I didn’t truly love her!’

‘Yeollie, stop shouting!’

There was a roll of thunder and a flash of lightning and you both looked up into the sky. Chanyeol held his hands over your head protectively.

‘Haneul, I’ll never be able to love her properly. If I have to marry someone, I must love them fully. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be fair to her.’ he said quietly.

The rain began to fall and he tugged you along to stand underneath the bike shelter, away from the trees. It was heavy rain, the sort you get after weeks of hot and sunny weather and Chanyeol took that moment to compose himself.

 

‘Chanyeol, I think you’re being unfair.’

‘I’m not being unfair!’ Chanyeol screamed, ‘refusing to marry her isn’t unfair to her! It’s the fairest thing for both of us!’

‘What if she likes you?’

‘She doesn’t! And she never will!’

‘How do you know that?! You hardly know her!’

‘I just do! Okay?! I just do! In fact, Princess, can you… can you just keep quiet for a moment?’

‘Why?’

Chanyeol groaned. ‘You’re infuriating me’

‘I’m what?!’

‘Infuriating me!’

You stared at Chanyeol, mouth open. ‘Excuse me?! You’re the one annoying me! You haven’t even given this girl a chance and you’re already judging her!’

‘It’d be unfair on her!’

‘How?!’

‘Because my heart’s already filled with someone else! That’s why!’ Chanyeol screamed, kicking a nearby bike, ‘do you really want to know why you’re so infuriating?! It’s because it’s you! You’re the one in my heart! You’re the one I love and you’re the reason why I can’t marry her! It’s you, Haneul! It’s always been you!’

You felt the air leave you in one go. ‘Yeollie…’

‘Do you know how much it hurts hearing you tell me to try and date this girl?! The girl I like so much is telling me to marry someone else! God dammit, it hurts!’

‘I-I didn’t know…’ you whispered, ‘Chanyeol, I’m so sorry.’

‘I heard everything! That night when my parents came, I heard it all! Both Kai and D.O like you too! I heard how they both confessed so I decided I’d go to this stupid marriage meeting to try and get over you!’ Chanyeol yelled, ‘but I can’t! I can’t do it, okay?! I can’t go through with it because I like you too much! It sounds weak and it sounds pathetic and I hate myself to death for it but I can’t do it!’

Chanyeol quickly wrapped you in his arms.

‘Why can’t you see that, Princess? Why can’t you see how much I like you?’

‘Yeollie-’ you started, ‘Chanyeol-‘

‘Haneul…’

Chanyeol carefully and slowly brought his hand up to your chin. There was another roll of thunder that erupted around you and you felt Chanyeol squeeze you tighter, keeping you safe in his arms.

‘Haneul… Can I… kiss you?’

You looked up, unsure of what to say and what to do.

Everything was moving too fast but the world had slowed down to a standstill. Nothing made sense yet everything made sense. Chanyeol had always been so protective about you, beating up anyone that hurt you or even so much as laid a finger on you. He was always there- the prince you saw as a knight in shining armour.

There was a flash of lighting and the heavens opened, letting down a downpour of water. Lightning struck and flashed around you and Chanyeol held you close as you tensed up from the sudden scare. He didn’t wait for your answer and with the next crack in the sky, he locked his lips with yours and held you as if he’d never get to hold you again. The kiss was sweet and still, chaste but needy, and you could feel from his lips that he was trembling with nerves, scared that this would be the last time he’d get to kiss you.

This was Chanyeol- the real Chanyeol. The mature Chanyeol.

The best and most hard-working Chanyeol you knew.