Haneul's Birthday (Part 1)

That Girl, Which Boy?

You woke up suddenly.

You know when you have those dreams when you begin to fall and then you jerk and wake up? 

That happened. Only it was 9am in the morning and you weren't sure if everyone else was awake. 

You gazed around your room. No party poppers, no seaweed soup, no balloons, no presents, and definitely no birthday card from your parents. 

Happy Birthday Haneul. Here's to living another year.

You climbed out of bed, putting your phone on charge having not done so the night before, threw on your university sweatshirt and walked out into the main living area. Everyone, minus Suho, Xiumin and Luhan, were gathered around the table. 

'Good morning, sleepy head!' Chanyeol said cheerily, patting the seat beside him

You gladly sat down beside him and began to eat your breakfast. It wasn't anything special, just cereal and some toast. Things were hard on D.O now that Suho wasn't around to help him deal with the general running of the dorm. Added on to the pressures of a reduced income as Xiumin was on temporary leave, money was tighter than usual.

Once breakfast was over and everything had been cleared away, everyone assembled around the television to tune into the news. It was getting into a story about North Korea's plans of attack when the doorbell rang and Tao, who was closest, went to answer it.

'Taejoon-hyung?'

'Hi'

Aaron was standing in your doorway holding two bouquets of flowers and a present. More than a few eyebrows were raised.

'I was kind of used to these attempts of wooing Haneul but this is ridiculous' Chanyeol muttered

Baekhyun elbowed him however and Chanyeol looked to you, only to find you grinning like an idiot. Not what he had imagined really. 

Why does she look so happy?

Aaron held out a bouquet of pink roses, evidently from him. 

'Happy birthday, Han' he said, in English

This time, those with their eyebrows raised, found their jaws dropping too. 

'It's your birthday?!' Sehun said, 'Haneul,  you never said!'

'Well it didn't seem right to mention it...' you retorted, 'you can't blame me.'

You took the roses, bringing them up to your nose to smell them and smiled.

'Hang on. Why have you got two bouquets?'

'This was on the doorstep.' he replied, handing you the flowers. 

They were a selection of blue and pink hydrangeas, along with a couple of peonies and some other blue flowers you didn't recognise. There was a little card attached and you opened it up to read it. 

 

Happy birthday, cousin. I'll always be watching out for you.

Hyun Ki

 

You could feel yourself tearing up and began fanning yourself.

'Who's it from?' Chen asked

'Hyun Ki.'

'Hyun Ki?' Kris repeated again.

You nodded, laying the flowers on the coffee table. 'I suppose this will be a good birthday, after all'

'I still can't believe we didn't know it was your birthday...' Tao said, 'I couldn't even get you a present or a card or anything!'

'That's okay! I don't need presents!' 

'At least open mine?' Aaron said, handing you the small box. 

Upon opening it, you laid eyes on a necklace. It was dainty and had a small heart shaped pendant on the end of it. 

'Do you like it?' he asked

You nodded, quickly shutting the box and putting it in your trouser pockets.

'It's beautiful, thank you.'

'Just... How is it your birthday? How is it that you never told us?' Sehun was still saying

'Don't tell me you actually didn't know' Aaron said

'Well I knew.' said Kris

'As did I' said Kai

'And me' said Lay

'So did I' Baekhyun added, 'and my present should be delivered later this afternoon.'

'Well mine's here' said Kai, pulling out the cake you had tried together at the cafe. 

'Aren't I a good enough present already?' Kris said

You laughed, 'no. You're an awful present.'

Lay didn't say anything about a present and so you didn't pry any further- not with Huiling hovering over him like a protective mother all day every day. 

'So...' Chanyeol began, 'why are you still here?'

His question was aimed at Aaron, of course and if his aim was to get his out of the dorm as soon as possible, it worked. 

'I'll see you later, okay?'

You nodded.

'Oh and happy birthday!'

'Thank you!'

 

---

 

9am.

Minki was shaking with nerves. Luhan was also rather fidgety.

They both had their co-ordinated routine down. They had perfected their art. They were going to shine. But only one person would debut. Watching the other trainees perform their dances perfectly was excruciating. How could the company choose between two equally outstanding people? 

'Minki! Luhan! You're up!'

'Good luck, Minki-ah' Luhan said

'Thanks hyung, let's rock this.' he replied

The two boys took their place on the floor. They had decided to dance to BoA's Disturbance- a song that was chilled and relaxed meaning that ballet moves could be utilised fully. Popping and locking among other things like crip walking and acrobatics were incorporated too. All in all, the routine was intense and was choreographed to blow their minds. Luhan had never danced such a complex routine before in his life. He couldn't believe that he had half the credit for actually piecing together the dance. 

The song started and both boys were in position. 

Out step in, out step in.

Minki and Luhan pumped their chests in unison. 

Right foot change, cross over, relax

MInki and Luhan- perfectly in sync.

Bounce bounce, twirl and pose

Two twirls executed with such precision and accuracy.

The company was stunned and watched even closer, even more beady eyed. 

Minki felt the pressure rise and lost his balance on a half turn. He managed to regain composure but he was kicking himself inside. The company's attention suddenly diverted to Luhan. Minki was out.

Luhan carried on performing until the pause in the music which was put in place as a breather to catch their breath. Minki gave Luhan a look, knowing he had messed up.

Hyung. It's over for me.

Luhan shook his head slightly before nodding it again.

Come on, just keep dancing.

 

The beat picked up again and both boys began their moves once more. 

 

Quick quick, glide

Spin on the left, land on the right

Delicately, gracefully, then pow pow pow.

 

As Luhan moved, thoughts raced through his head.

'4 years.'

'Auditionees are the first to get dropped.'

'He overdosed on pills and he tried to jump out of the window today...'

'He came back from work really drunk...'

'Is this bad? Is he going to be like this all the time now?'

 

Pop, pop, pop.

Pow, pow, pow.

Glide and walk back. 

 

4 years Minki has been training. 4 years.

Suho's gone back to his old ways.

Xiumin's dangerous again.

Can I really live so happily when I'm hurting others?

 

Another pause. The final breakdown.

Minki was determined to at least finish his final dance. 

Luhan had a change of heart.

I want to be back with the people I love. I want to go home again. 

A triple turn was coming up. 

Minki knew this move, inside and out. He had put it in to really show off his abilities and Luhan was alright with it too. 

 

First turn.

Whoosh.

Gain momentum.

 

Second turn.

Whoosh.

Even faster.

 

Third turn.

Whoosh- thump.

 

The song finished on cue and all eyes were staring, mouths agape and gasps rendering around the studio.

'L-Luhan?... Hyung!... Are you alright?!' Minki said, immediately rushing to him, 'did you hurt yourself?'

'Don't worry about me. Minki-ah, you won. I want you to stand on that stage and give me the best debut you ever could,' Luhan whispered

'Did you throw it away for me?!' Minki hissed back

Luhan shook his head, 'no, I just want to be back home. I wanted this.'

 

 



Okay so I fell asleep but here we go- as promised! The last update before my semi-hiatus! Enjoy it guys! ^^