Tidbits

That Girl, Which Boy?

Chen was frantic as he ran down the stairs, trying to beat the elevator his girlfriend was in. Slamming through the doors, he noticed that the lift had started making it's way up again.

'!'

He took out his phone and with shaking hands, called her.

'Come on, Seohee-ah. Come on. Pick up, pick up, pick up!'

He looked around, wondering where she might be and recognized the secretary from before.

'Miss! Miss!' he called, rushing over to her, 'please, have you seen Seohee? Seohee-ssi?'

'She left a few minutes ago, sir.'

'Did you see which way she went?'

'I believe she turned left, sir-'

'Thank you!'

Chen his heels and dashed out of the building. His unworn and uncomfortable shoes dug into the backs of his feet and rubbed against his toes but he kept running. When he came to a traffic junction, he paused, running his hand through his hair. 'God, where did you go?' He felt disorientated as he looked around, wondering which path to go down.

'Seohee... Seohee... Seohee...' he kept chanting, as he decided to turn right, 'come on Seohee, don't do this to me-'

He ran past a small playground and stopped to look there. Seohee had always liked playful dates with Chen so it wouldn't have surprised him had she been taking refuge on one of the swings. However to his dismay, she was nowhere to be seen. Deciding to get off the beaten track, he headed down a small lane that led from the playground into a small park where couples were walking dogs and grandfathers were playing checkers.

'Seohee!' Chen yelled, 'Yah! Seohee! Where are you?!'

Disapproving looks were shot at Chen from everyone ranging from mothers, babies, the young and the old but he didn't care. Taking off his jacket and ing the top 2 buttons of his shirt, Chen kept running and looking around. His suit trousers were restrictive in the movement department and he cursed, stating that making it legal to run around in boxers would be highly convenient.

'Come on!'

He turned a corner at a set of trees and crashed into a group of small children coming back from their tutoring academy. They groaned and shouted and Chen bowed to them instantly, despite them being half his age and probably less than half his size too.

'Ah this is so annoying! Everyone is really weird today!' one little boy said, rubbing his nose

'Hyung-nim! Ah that really hurt!'

Chen crouched down and patted the second boy's head. 'I'm sorry, truly. Hyung just didn't see you.'

'This park is full of crazy people! Did you see that noona crying before?'

Chen's ears perked up. 'Noona? You saw a noona? Was she wearing a white jacket?'

The boy nodded, 'why, hyung-nim? Do you know her?' 'Where was she?'

The kids pointed in the direction and Chen gave them a collective hug before running off towards where they had pointed, leaving them open mouthed and baffled by the weird hyung they had just met.

'Kids, thanks so much! Hyung owes you one!'

 

Chen carried on running and stuck to the path that he guessed the kids would have taken. Eventually he came to a clearing and a small square with 4 benches- one on each side. Seated on one was Seohee, huddled over and crying. He felt his heart ache seeing her so upset and approached her slowly, bending down in front of her and placing his jacket gently on her knees. She looked up at him and cried harder when she saw who it was so Chen slowly slid his hands into hers and held them tightly.

'Hey... don't cry,' he said softly, 'it's okay.'

'Jongdae, I'm so sorry-'

'You don't need to be sorry, Seohee-ah.'

'Let me at least apologize on my parents behalf-'

'Don't you dare.'

'Jongd-'

'Seohee, stop.'

Chen sat crosslegged on the floor in front of his girlfriend, still holding her hand.

'What your parents said was true about me versus Chanyeol. I don't have his looks nor his voice nor his ears nor his wealthy status. I don't have his family nor his sister nor a part time job at a restaurant. I'm not Chanyeol. I certainly don't have his love for Haneul either.'

He sighed and took his hand out of hers for just a moment to wipe it.

'Sorry,' he explained, 'got a bit sweaty and I know you hate it.'

Seohee giggled slightly, squeezing her boyfriend's hand to tell him it was okay for him to have sweaty hands.

'Seohee, if I was Park Chanyeol, I wouldn't love you. And you wouldn't love me. I'm Chen- Kim Jongdae- and I love you more than the world. So don't apologize for your parents because they were right. I'm no Park Chanyeol.'

'You're my Kim Jongdae.' Seohee said with a smile, 'although I'm rather surprised you didn't blow up in there.'

'I can't be getting angry at my future in-laws, can I?' Chen replied with a smirk

'I-In... laws?'

'Why? Were you not planning on actually getting married after standing up to your dad like that?'

'Well-'

'Unless you'd rather marry Chanyeol? Because that can be arranged-'

'Yah!' Seohee kicked Chen in the crotch and he doubled over in pain. 'That's not what I meant, idiot! That's not what I want!'

Tears rolled down her face and Chen pulled her in for a hug, ignoring her attempts to kick him again. 'Hey... smile for me...'

'I have a favour to ask... Jongdae... Can I come and live with you for a bit?' Seohee asked between sobs, her face still pressed up against her boyfriend's chest, 'I don't want to go home.'

Chen sighed, 'Seohee-ah, you have to go back home. Don't turn me into the bad guy that tears you away from your parents.'

'But-'

'As long as we love each other, what else matters?'

'What if they don't let me see you anymore?'

Chen raised his eyebrows, 'since when did you take orders from anyone?'

Seohee giggled, 'never.'

'Well then.' Chen gave her a light kiss on the nose and then a longer one on the lips, 'thank you for today- for standing up for me and for showing me again why I love you so much.'

 

***

 

'Lay! Where the heck have you been?!'

5 pairs of feet stood flat on the ground, their owners having gotten up from their resting position on the sofa the moment Lay had opened the door. In front of him was what could possibly have been his worst nightmare.

You, Kris, Suho, Xiumin and Tao. All looking very angry.

He groaned and placed his guitar on the table before throwing his hands up in the air.

'I'm sorry.'

'Sorry implies you won't do it again' Suho said, 'so are you truly sorry?'

'Hyung, I'm not six years old. I'm not a kid.'

Kris scoffed. 'You sure act like one though, running off all the time like some-'

'Kris!' You hissed, nudging him in the ribs, 'you said you wouldn't get all y with him.'

'You're one to talk, Kris-'

'You guys! Don't fight!'

You felt helpless, not knowing what to say to stop the argument from brewing. D.O caught your eye from the far side of the room and smiled warmly, patting the seat beside him. He gave you a slight nod and the sort of look that said 'best leave them' so, sighing, you gave up and crash landed on the couch next to him. 

'I feel so pathetic' you said, 'what can we do to stop them?'

D.O put an arm around you and pulled you into him. 'There's nothing you can do so don't feel bad about it, okay?' 

 

The volume from Kris and Lay rose as the verbal fight ensued- insults being thrown from both sides.

'You always do this! You can't keep acting so childish!'

'You're not that much older than me, Kris! So stop acting like you're my parent!'

'I wouldn't have to if you didn't keep running off and worrying all of us!'

'I'm not running off! It's not like I'm going to disappear!'

'Says who?!'

'Says me! I'll always be here! I promised I'd stay here! I'll always be here! In Korea! Here! So quit worrying for God's sake!'

'I wasn't the only one worrying about you, Zhang Yixing!'

'Don't use my first name with me just because you want to assume some sort of power over me!'

'Huiling was worried about you!' Suho shouted, 'what on earth is wrong with you, running off when you know this is when Huiling needs you most?!'

'To hell with-'

'Zhang Yixing!' Kris exploded, 'in fact no, finish that sentence. Finish that damn sentence.'

Lay shot a look in your direction. He'd been meaning to say 'to hell with Huiling' but at this moment, he knew it'd be the wrong thing to say. As much as he hated how he'd been strung with her, he knew he was guilty of hurting her in some sort of way and although he didn't want to admit it, he knew he'd have to make it up to her by at least being there for her whilst she re-evaluated her life.

'You. To hell with you, Kris.'

'Get out,' Kris said quietly whilst pointing at the door, his anger brooding, 'get the out.'

'Kris...' Xiumin whispered, 'you don't need to do this.'

Lay rolled his eyes and picked up his guitar. 'I'm not leaving so don't tell me to get out,' he said, his voice low, 'now where's Huiling?'

'My room' you squeaked, 'she's asleep.'

'Not for long.' He took off his shoes, elbowing and pushing past Kris to get to your room. Before entering, he turned around and glared at him darkly.

'Don't come in until we're done.'

 

***

 

Chanyeol arrived home an hour or so after Lay did with both Ah Ri and Luhan supporting him under his arms. Having grown tired of waiting around for your room to become vacant again, you borrowed a jacket from Kai who had left to meet some friends and stepped out for some fresh air, feigning a need for some fresh air. Walking around, you found yourself attracted to the idea of heading towards the library and so you went with the intention of finding an old science book and immersing yourself in it. 

There was something strangely comforting about the musty smell from the aged pages in the century old books that were kept in the libarary. You wondered if it was nostalgia and your mind taking you back to the time you'd sit on your father's lap or on the floor in his office as he pored over 20th century essays and papers into the criminal mind. You'd feel the warmth from him as he'd often read aloud to you and explain complex psychology in childish terms. His time with you was seperate to his time with your brother and it was then that you felt the love of your father most. He was interested in your knowledge of the world. He wanted you to be aware so as to not be scared. And all that nurturing and conditioning when you were young had proved useful. Because when you were faced with your move to Korea, you weren't nervous or frightened. 

As you turned into the corridor where the library was, you noticed someone hovering outside looking more than anxious.

'Aki?'

The girl turned and squealed, 'H-Haneul... unnie...'

'What are you doing here? You look guilty!' you teased, peering into the library, 'who are you waiting for?'

Aki's eyes darted across the libary to a corner and there, you spotted Kai. He was with some friends, seated at a table, typing away on his laptop with a expression that read both confusion and frustration.

'Kai?' you asked, 'is that who you're here for?' Aki nodded and you smiled, 'why haven't you gone in then?'

'Oppa's with his friends. I don't want to disturb him, unnie,' Aki whispered in reply.

'Oh you won't. He'll be happy to see you.'

'Really?'

You grinned, 'trust me.'

Grabbing her hand, you led her into the library, dismissing the strange looks you were recieving for bringing a high schooler into the university campus. When you reached Kai's table, they all looked up and quickly nodded their heads in acknowledgement- all but Kai. Eventually his friend who you recognised as the friend who had taken his position as Head of First Year nudged him and he looked up only to look startled.

 

'Haneul? Aki?'

'Hi oppa...'

'Wh-What are you doing here?'

He looked a little flustered and you pushed Aki forwards. 'Aki wanted to talk to you.'

'Oh, you did?' Kai said, genuinely smiling at her, 'what's up? Are you okay?' He turned to his friends and gestured to her, 'this is a dongseng of mine- she's in high school.'

'Oppa, I was wondering if you could help me out with my university application...'

'Right now?'

'It's due in a few days but if you're busy now, we can always do it another day-'

Kai stood up and shut his laptop. He started to put it back away in it's case, 'no no, I'm not busy now.'

'Are you sure? I'm not bothering you?'

Another smile. 'Definitely not. Where do you want to go? We can find an empty classroom so we don't have to talk in hushed whispers?'

Aki nodded, 'okay!'

Kai grinned as he swung his bag over his shoulder, 'just wait outside for me- I quickly need to return some textbooks but I won't be any more than a second.'

Aki left and you patted Kai's back just as he was about to leave. 'Are you alright? You looked a bit surprised to see us. We didn't come at a bad time, did we?'

Kai shook his head, smiling, daring himself to bring his hand up to your cheek. You felt your cheeks go red and your eyes widened naturally. It was the first time he'd been so affectionate in public and even though you already knew about his feelings, the realisation of them came flooding back. 

'It's never a bad time if I get to see you. It's just that you're wearing my jacket.'

You coughed, 'that's because Lay's occupying my room at the moment and no one's allowed in. I'm sorry I didn't ask.'

'That's alright,' Kai said, 'you've already stole my heart so why not steal my clothes whilst you're at it?'

 

 

 


I FAILED. I FAILED AS AN AUTHOR. 

I wanted to put this out on the 14th September since that was my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! (GUESS WHO'S 18 NOW!!!!!! OMGAAAAAAAAAD) and I wanted it to be a present from me to you (after all, someone told me it's better to give than to recieve) but um... the update was only about half finished OTL... it's okay though, at least I've put out something relatively substantial this time.

Ah and I think people might have been confused when I talked about those 4-5 chapters. What I meant was that after the next 4-5 chapters, the story will split into each ending. There will be an OFFICIAL OFFICIAL ending (because people like official official ones) and there will be 3 ALTERNATE endings (because people like variety). Notice how I repeated official- it's because it's like the OFFICIAL OFFICIAL ending. Yeah, alright. I'm rambling. I'm sorry. Maybe it's because I'M BASKING IN THE 18 YEAR OLD CLUB (basking is so not the right word but really I dont care right now ok)... 

So what is happening is 1 OFFICIAL AND 1 ALTERNATE will be put up on AFF. That means you'll get to read 2 endings if you wish to. As for the other 2, they'll be put in the hard copy of this story. Why? Because it's a gift to the readers that get a copy of it. A thank you gift!

OKAY NOW HERE's THE ANSWER YOU ALL REALLY WANT: my estimate is that the end of this story (so the end of the official ending) will be around Chapter 111 give or take a few~

Till next time, take care!!!