Guilt

That Girl, Which Boy?

'So... What did I do last night?'

You were all grilling Xiumin, the only one to stay sober, about the damages each of you had done. As the eldest hyung who held all teasing rights, Xiumin was more than ecstatic to be the one to reveal his dongsaengs mishaps. 

'Who should I start with?'

'Me!'

Sehun's hand shot up and D.O shot a dangerous glare his way.

Xiumin chuckled. 'You drank a lot, danced with your girlfriend a lot, challenged our D.O here to a drinking game which you lost by the way and then passed out from.'

'Oh...'

'Yeah. I don't need to tell you that you're not D.O's favorite person right now, do I? You figured that one out on your own, right?'

'Sorry hyung'

Kyungsoo pulled another cute and sad face, clutching the hot water bottle that he had tied to his stomach.

'I'll forgive you when I stop wanting to puke my organs out'

Kris raised his hand, 'I'm sorry about that by the way, D.O'

'Yeah I don't forgive you, hyung. And I definitely don't forgive you, Lay'

Lay looked up from the table, startled from the sound of his name.

'What? What did I miss?'

'Lay fell asleep before anyone and woke up at the end when everyone was drunk as hell' said Xiumin, 'I was so tired by the end of the night so he's half the reason I managed to clear up'

'What was the other half?'

'You were all so funny to watch and I couldn't bring myself to shut my eyes for even a second.'

There were murmurs and grimaces around the room, each individual imagining the worst possible situation they may have found themselves in.

'What about me, hyung? What did I do?' Kai asked, 'was I bad?'

'You took your shirt off at one point'

'Oh god'

'But it was only because Chanyeol had taken his off too'

'What? Why did I take off my shirt?' Chanyeol said worriedly, 'Was I really embarrassing?'

'Not really. You took it off because Kris had taken his off'

'Oh god have mercy on me,' Kris cried out, gripping his hair, 'I didn't, did I?'

Xiumin grinned, kicking back against the chair he sat on. 'You kept yelling that you had better abs than Chanyeol and you kept standing up on the chairs and saying 'I'm a model, look at me! Look at my abs! Look at-''

'Okay, okay. We get the point' Kris couldn't hide his embarrassment and Baekhyun laughed, poking fun at him.

'I don't know what you're laughing about, Baekhyun' you said, 'I've got a video of you from this morning saying the weirdest stuff'

Baekhyun's grin disappeared and he looked around in a panic. 'What did I say?! Was it really bad?'

Xiumin smirked, 'can't be as bad as what you were doing yesterday'

'What did he do last night?' Tao asked eagerly

'You know how Baekhyun is around Maddie?' Xiumin started

'Totally and utterly infatuated?' Chanyeol muttered, 'so in love it's sickly?'

'Times that by a million and you have drunk Baekhyun. I couldn't get him to shut up so in the end, Maddie your hair until you fell asleep'

'She did that for me?'

'Yep. I laid you in your bed and she sat in it for about half an hour your hair until you finally conked out. Took her that long to get you to stop rambling on and actually shut up.'

'From dawn till dusk, he never stops talking' Sehun said, 'even when he's drunk?'

'Especially when he's drunk'

'How about me? Did I do anything?' you asked

'You cried, Haneul'

'I cried?'

You felt all eyes on you.

'Yeah, you sat in a corner and cried until you fell asleep. Lay carried you back down here at the end and I guess Kai moved in the middle of the night because I swear I put him next to Sehun by the table over-'

'Hyung, what about me?' D.O said, quickly stopping Xiumin from carrying on any further, 'What did I do after I beat Sehun?'

'You just sat there in a daze. Got up and danced a bit at one point but you weren't too bad D.O. It's just a shame you've been sick all morning. Otherwise you would have been the best drunk.'

D.O nodded and smiled half heartedly. He didn't really care about being the best when drunk, all he wanted to know about was whether or not he had embarassed himself. 

'Haneul, why were you crying?' Tao asked suddenly, 'because when I asked you, you shoved me away and cried even more.'

'Girls are scary when they cry. Don't go near them' Kris said to Tao under his breath, earning himself a nice hard shove in the ribs.

'I guess I felt a bit overwhelmed?'

'Overwhelmed?' Luhan asked, 'why? Did something happen?'

Xiumin blinked a couple of times at you, his own way of telling you it was alright. You smiled and he returned the smile reassuringly.

'I dealt with Ahn Taejoon last night' you announced, 'so he won't be bursting in anymore.' You bowed your head. 'I'm sorry for not doing it sooner and for causing a mess with his arrival. I should have made it clearer earlier so I apologise for that.'

Lay reached over and gently rubbed your back, 'hey, it's alright. It's okay to hold off telling someone you don't return their feelings.'

Luhan rolled his eyes. Of course he'd be saying that. Look what he's doing with Huiling. Kai gently lifted your head, bringing your chin up gently. He looked at you warmly, eyelashes fluttering. 

'You did the right thing so don't apologise anymore.'

 

***

 

'Ahn Taejoon came round last night...'

You sighed, swinging your legs from the lifeguard chair. Jaemin was in the pool, holding onto the side as he looked up to talk to you. Although there was no swim practice, you had tagged along with Luhan and Xiumin to their football game only to get bored and wander off. Your feet ended up taking you to the pool and you felt happier seeing your team captain training hard in his free time. 

'Earth to Shin Haneul?'

'Yeah, I heard you oppa'

'Well? Anything to say?'

'Why would I?' you sighed again, swinging your legs harder, your flip flops threatening to fall off your feet and into the pool. 

'Oh I don't know,' Jaemin smirked, floating on his back in a star shape, 'maybe because he was crying and kept saying he hated you?'

'Ouch...'

Jaemin laughed and flicked water up your way. You kicked back in surprise and both flip flops fell into the pool- one landing on Jaemin's head, the other splashing him in the face. He coughed and spluttered and you crawled down the ladder to sit on the edge of the pool, not caring about getting your wet.

'He didn't really say he hated me... Did he?'

'Well he was drunk so he probably didn't mean it. I assume you broke him to pieces, right?'

'Don't say it like that.' you said, another wave of guilt washing over you, 'I already feel , oppa.'

'It's good that you did it, Haneul.'

'That's what Kai said'

'Listen to him. That kid is right.'

'I still feel bad for not doing it sooner.'

'You did it for my sister, didn't you?' 

Jaemin dipped his head under the water before reappearing, his hair pushed back out of his face.

'How did you know?' you asked.

He grinned and shrugged, 'I've been on this earth a lot longer than you have. Whatever boy troubles you have, I've probably had the same with past girlfriends.'

'Oooh! I take it oppa is quite the player then?' you teased

Jaemin tugged at your leg and you slipped into the water up to your waist before you managed to hoist yourself back up onto the side shrieking in fright. 

'Hey!'

'I'm not a player. I've just had a load of problems with each of my girlfriends.'

You gulped, 'sorry'

'Shall I tell you a secret though?'

'Please' 

'Whenever I need to think, I come here. It helps you know, being in the water. Everything's cool and quiet. Everything is calm. The pool can be where you're the most pumped up and where you're the most at peace. Being in the water can be all you need to clear your thoughts.'

You glanced at Jaemin who was now treading water and stretching his arm out.

'I can tell something's up, Haneul, and if I may be so bold to guess... Someone confessed to you, didn't they?'

'... You really are knowledgable'

'I used to like this girl but she was taken. When I confessed to her, she sort of changed. A lot of people noticed and guessed it was me.'

'When was this?'

'Summer before you started university here. I'm still getting over it' Jaemin replied, 'hence why I'm the captain now. I spent my entire summer in here.'

He waved his fingers under the water and ripples formed, heading your way. It was almost as if he had conjured them up himself- a god of water or something. You could see why he suddenly loved being in the water so much and why he spoke so solemnly and earnestly about the pool. 

'She rejected me in case you're wondering. I wasn't exactly broken but it hurt a little.'

You bit your lip.

'That doesn't mean whoever confessed to you will be the same. Each and every guy is different. I mean, how did Taejoon ask you out?'

'A note in class'

'And the one who just confessed?'

'...He kissed me behind a waterfall?'

'Woah.'

You laughed, 'yeah...'

'Okay well that just proves my point. Every guy is different. We all have our ways of confessing. We all have our ways of dealing with rejection. Don't let your guilt with Taejoon stop you from doing the right thing.'

You sighed for what probably was the 5th or 6th time in that hour. 'Easy for you to say. You're not the one living and feeling guilty.'

'Whoever likes you that much would hate for you to feel guilty, Haneul. You need to understand that if they really do like you, they'll want you to be happy first and foremost. Even if they're selfish and want you for themselves, if you reject them because you don't feel the same way then they won't hate you forever. I certainly don't hate that girl.'

'But you're still not over her?'

'A broken heart takes time to heal. Some do it quickly, some slower. Take Taejoon for example. I reckon... a month.'

'A month?'

'Well you are his childhood sweetheart, aren't you?'

You groaned and held your head in your hands. Jaemin heaved himself out of the pool and sat beside you on the edge, body dripping wet. 

'Cheer up a little bit. I've got a present for you.'

'A present?'

'Something I thought might help.'

He got up and ran to his bag, rifling through the front compartment until he brought out his keychain. 'Haneul! Come over here!' 

You walked over and saw the numerous keys in his hand.

'There's so many...'

'There's a key for every seminar room in this sports building as well as the windows and float cupboard. I've also got the main key to the building. Well... I've got two.'

'Two?'

Jaemin nodded and handed one to you, 'I got it cut for you this morning. It's yours. You know the code to the changing rooms so you can enter the pool through there.'

'But what do I need it for?'

Jaemin shrugged as he wrapped one of his towels around you. 

'In case you wake up in the middle of the night and need to think. The water will always be here for you. You just need to come and find it.'

 

 


A filler-y chapter for you guys... I promise to write something long-ish and hopefully squeal worthy in the next update so be prepared for that ^^ 

Thanks for all the messages wishing me luck! I've decided I'm not going to push for this story to end as you guys deserve only the best when it comes to updates ^^ 

I also didn't realise I had so many SG readers and I'm really excited to meet some of you guys! I'll keep you posted here about when I land etc but if you're already talking to me privately then you'll know what's going on hopefully :) so for now hollaaaa~

Oh and just to answer any more questions about this: I live in London UK. Both my parents are Hong Kong Chinese. My dad lives and works in Singapore (which is why I go there every year). I've also lived in Singapore and Hong Kong when I was little.

 

okay till next time, ciao!

 

I ALSO HIT 2000 SUBSCRIBERS LAST NIGHT! HOORAH! I PROMISE TO BRING YOU ALL GOOD THINGS IN THE NEXT UPDATES. LOVE YOU ALL!