The heart of the night

My Life..

 

Suzy was walking directionless toward any road that she could find. She tried hard not to let the tears that she kept from earlier to fall. She bites her lips hard so that she wouldn’t let even a single tears fall. That’s when she remembers all the nightmares that she had. The accident, the blood, the nonstop screaming, the unbelievably foul smell and the most important memory ever, the voice….

 ‘I hate you Bae Suzy.’

She swallowed hard those words for years as it keeps coming to her in her sleep. She tried to forget everything but it keeps coming to her. The harsh hatred words were said as if it was definitely meant for her and to her only. And, of course. She knows the source. And to be truth, she recognizes well the voice. She was trying to let it all go but the nightmares prevent her from doing so. And, it went worse when the doctors tell her to come back to Korea to further her treatment as she was born here. The words keep bouncing in her head. She sniffed and finally a tear trickled down her cheeks.

“Go away! GO! Please I beg you. Please….. Just go….”

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Myungsoo shoved the phone away. From the evening, his phone keep ringing to the extent that it annoys him so much, he could throw the phone through his room’s windows. It was just a few seconds after he manage to close this eyes, this time, a loud knock was heard at his door.

“WHAT? I told you I’m not hungry, mom…” He slowly put his shirt on.

“Open this door, Myungsoo. It’s dad!”

“Okay okay… Cool down dad. I’m only wearing my brief now. You don’t want me to destroyed your innocent eyesight, right?”

“No time for a joke, son! Palli!”

“Got it dad! Geez… Can you please learn how to control your temper, dad?” Myungsoo open it a little, closing his one eye due to the brightness of the outside.

“What are you doing with your lamp close and everything, huh??”

“Why? Gosh… What do I do that everybody is against me? Screw my life.”

“Take this keys and go.”

Myungsoo keep exchanging his looks from the keys to his dad. He keep doing it until he feels a bit dizzy. He rubs his forehead while frowning at his dad.

“What are you waiting for? GO!”

“What? Where? Ergh. What’s wrong with people actually…”

“Suzy. Suzy went missing Myungsoo.”

His mom who comes from the kitchen huffed loudly due to the insufficient air from the run.

“Suzy what? Not again?!”

“Yeonjue try to call you but she said you did not answer any of her phone calls or text. That is why she comes to us. She sounds concern… Can you please help her Myungsoo?”

In a split second Myungsoo grab his motorcycle and drove through the chilly night. He drove to the entire place that Suzy might go but he found nothing. That’s when he saw a figure was hugging her knees tightly under a big tree. And, of course the place was none other than......

“How come you come here every time you had problem, Suzy? You’re not drunk again, don’t you?”

Suzy held up her head in surprise. She was trying to ask her aunty to come fetch her but the battery suddenly went out and she was too afraid to ask for others help. She thought that she could stay there for a night but the windy cold night keeps bothering her peace. The only thing for sure was she has always wondered how come it was Myungsoo who would find her every time she went lost. Always. Even from their childhood time.

“That ahjumma sure was in her right mind not to let you in this time.” He turns to see the store at the other side of the road. It was full with drunkard people and unexplained noise. He shook his head reminiscing the nights where Suzy gone crazy after swallowed down a few bottles of soju. He return his attention to the girl in front of him and sigh. 'It's a bless she decided not to go inside this time.'

“I don’t even have a thought of going in at all. I just want a place to sleep. That’s all…” 

“And, a plain ground under a tree would be suitable?”

“At least it is shady and looks promising. I know it can take care of me well. I don’t have a choice, okay? ”

Myungsoo sigh with Suzy’s answer. He tries to pick up Suzy’s bag but she pulled it away.

“Don’t take things that don’t belong to you.”

He sighs once again looking at the determine Suzy.

“Are you serious about sleeping down here?”

 Suzy turn her gaze away. She can’t stand those stare from Myungsoo. Somehow, the voice come back but in a whisper. ‘I hate Bae Suzy.’ ‘I hate her.’

““Do you realise how people were so afraid of your absence? Why do you have to come here alone, Suzy? You know you could have called me first, right?”

 

Silent.  

 

“ANSWER ME, BAE SUZY!”

“I’ve told you my battery is dead, right?? Besides… Why should I call you? Why do I have to tell you everything? Who are you? What are you to me?”

“What are you trying to say now? Huh?”

 “Don’t you see?? When I say I hate you, that’s means I HATE YOU. WHICH PART OF THAT WORDS THAT YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND?? WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS SIMPLE WORDS??!!!”

“Oh my god, Suzy… For just one day, NO! Make it only for tonight instead. Or, even an hour, a minute or a second, can’t you just forget everything? Forget the hateful feeling that you have for me?”

“Are you kidding me??”

“Have you seen me this serious?!”

Suzy could feel her heart skips a beat looking at the furious Myungsoo. She turn away, hiding her soon to fall tears.

“…….Whatever.”

Suzy try to leave the place, but before she could even move, Myungsoo quickly grab her arm. Suzy felt like her heart almost burst out with Myungsoo’s sudden act.

“Wow. This is pathetic.”

She sigh loudly and try harder to release her hand from Myungsoo’s tight grip.

“Let me go. DON’T YOU HEAR ME?? LET ME GO!”

“Why? If there’s an answer, can I have the reason now? Why did you hate me so much? What have I done to you that you have developed such a hateful feeling this way toward me?

Suzy let out a breath. Slowly, she musters up to face the sorrow-tone Myungsoo.

“You’re hurting me, Myungsoo…”

Myungsoo immediately loosen up his grip. He felt bad already when Suzy mouthed ouch out of aware. Suzy who realise the opportunity quickly pull her hand away. She keep rubbing at the red spot over her skinny wrist.

“The reason… Do I need to have one? When you hate somebody, you just hate them. There’s no used for some lame excuses. Besides, I hate excuses as well. Remember?”

“Things that you hate… I guess a list wouldn’t enough, right? It keeps increasing to the fact that I start to forget things that I should keep in mind. The first thing of all… It’s all being blurred by things that you hate…”

“Don’t tell me that you actually care about what I say now? You… You’re that mighty, cold-hearted Myungsoo. What?? Some alien from Mars have take over his body now? Glad to hear that then… At least, I don’t have to bear with that attitude anymore.”

“This is me. There’s no new or another person in me. I’m not an alien either. What do I have to do to make you realise this? To make you acknowledge me better??”

“Come on… Is this a game show that we’re playing now? Please just disappear, Myungsoo. I don’t want to see your face anymore. It’s boring, annoying and makes my heart burns. So, you better go before I call cops or what saying that you’re harassing me.”

“Do that then. At least, the hateful feeling toward me would lessen a bit.”

 “Keep dreaming, Myungsoo. Keep dreaming.”

Myungsoo went to his motorcycle and take a blanket and a pair of knitted mitten and shove them to Suzy.

“What… Is this?”

“It’s cold now and you need them.”

“No I’m not.”

“Do you want me to put in on for you instead?”

“NO! I-I’ll put it on myself.”

Suzy quickly wear the gloves and put the blanket on her back, covering her petite body.

“I can’t believe the glove actually fits her well.” Myungsoo whispered.

“What?”

“Nothing. How is it? It looks comfortable on you.”

“….Yeah. Kind of.”

“Of course you would. It was freezing in here. And, you were shivering like no tomorrow earlier.”

“Stop making me look like a child, Myungsoo.”

“Fine… Can we go home now? My lips start to crack like seriously.”

“Stop exaggerating. You were just fine.  Nothing is going to destroy your killer smile anyway.”

“Can we stop talking about that for a day?”

“Okay, okay…. I’ll come with you.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Besides, I don’t think I can stand the weather anyway.”

Myungsoo shove one of the helmets to Suzy.

“Come.”

However, Suzy push aside the helmet that slightly surprises the boy.

“I’m not going on that with you.”

“What are you going to do then?”

“Give me some money.”

“What?”

“I need it for a bus fare. I’m pretty sure there’s still bus operated at this time. It was just 10 pm.”

“Why do you want to waste money for unnecessary things? We can just ride my motorcycle.”

“I don’t want to be on that with you, moron.”

“And, why is that?”

“I just don’t want to!”

“Is this regarding the ‘imaginary-fan-club-that-only-exist-in-your-head’ thing?”

“They DO exist okay?”

“Prove it then. You’re one of the club members too?”

“NO, I'M NOT! Ergh. Forget it. This is useless. Nothing to do with your fan girls okay? It is just… I don’t feel like getting on it at all.”

Myungsoo sigh in defeat and put some money into the girl’s hand.

“That’s all that I have. You should remember to bring your purse before running off like this next time.”

“Thanks for the advice, genius.”

Suzy was trying to walk away when she realise there are footsteps following her.

“Yah! What are you doing?”

“Following you. Isn’t it obvious already?”

“And, why is that?”

“It’s dangerous to leave you alone here.”

“What about your motorcycle, then??”

“I’ll tell my father to send people to pick it up. You don’t have to worry about that. Come. Your aunt must be wrecking nervous by now.”

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Suzy was struggling to squeeze herself as she was bothered by the close distance between both of them. And, her heart beat keep increasing each time their shoulder touch.

“I still think it is inappropriate to leave your things carelessly like that. “ She tries to start a conversation to stop the awkwardness.

“Don’t be silly. I’m pretty sure my dad has sent someone by now.”

“Tch.  Spoilt brat.”

“Bae Suzy. I’m trying to cool things down here, okay? Do you seriously asking for a fight on a bus, right now?”

“I was just stating the truth. Anyway, where do you get this knitted glove?”

“Why? Do you like them?”

“Erm… I could say so. It has beautiful pattern on it. The design was simple yet fresh.”

Myungsoo smirked looking at the innocent Suzy. He slowly takes Suzy hand and put her palm together. It was too sudden and Suzy was as hard as a statue when he did it.

“Put your hand like this. What do you see?”

To her surprise the end of the gloves turn into a beautiful love shape. 

“Wow. This is brilliant Myungsoo!” She squealed happily with amusement toward the gloves.

“You like it?” Myungsoo who was also excited, flashed his breath-taking smile.

“I was so nervous that you’re not going to like it.” He muttered slowly while pouting cutely.

Suzy take a quick glance to a guy who was beside her and takes off her eyes quickly when she realise Myungsoo was also staring at her.

“Err… Thank you. I’ll return it to you after this.” She stuttered out.

“It’s okay. You… You can keep it. Myungsoo try to keep his straight face.

The atmosphere becomes awkward out all of a sudden. Myungsoo who was looking away start to feel the sudden heat from the situation.

“Err. I have tons of this at home. It’s okay.”

“But, you said you like them.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to keep them. I… I….”

“I insist.” He says while holding Suzy’s hand. That is when his finger brushes on Suzy’s uncovered finger. His face blushed when their skins come into contact and he cannot deny how he loves the warm sensation feeling that he had now. But, as he realised Suzy’s was staring at him, he turns to his side and release the hands. He blinks at Suzy’s dazed expression and start brushing his hair nervously.

“So, I think it’s better if you take it. You can do whatever with it. You can even throw it if you want. I don’t care.”

Myungsoo swallowed hard. He was praying inside that Suzy did not recognize the nervous in his tone. Of course he was lying. He knitted the mitten by himself. It would be a terrible lie if he says he doesn’t care. He cares about it. And, he definitely cares about Suzy’s reaction of the gloves. He just can’t voice it out that he has prepared the gloves earlier. It was supposed to be her birthday present but he was too afraid that Suzy would throw them away. He was smiling like a fool just now until Suzy said that she was going to give them back. He almost feels like his heart stop pumping for a few second. His heart sunk low when Suzy was so determine to return them. However, his heart starts to sing again when he saw Suzy was treasuring them and smile delightedly. ‘I wonder how come someone’s smile can make my heart to flutter crazily like this. She certainly knows how to make someone’s happy.’

“I won’t throw it away for sure. But, I’m not sure if I could take care of it properly. You see, I am a kind of forgetful person. So…”

“I told you; you can do anything with it, right? It’s okay. I won’t be mad at you even if you give it to somebody else.”

“Are you crazy? Of course I won’t do that!”

“Hey.” Myungsoo chuckled.

“What?”

“You’re so loud that every eye on this bus are on us right now.”

“Seriously?”

Suzy turns around and finds out that Myungsoo was joking with her.

“I’m not in the mood Myung-jerk.”

“Aha! I was waiting for that called. Guess you’re not that mad anymore, huh?”

“I still am, idiot. How come I forget everything that happen just like that? It definitely takes some time.”

“I’m sorry… I mean it. I was…. It was my fault actually. Siwon was trying to help me by saying that it wasn’t. But, it was. I… I don’t have anything to defend for sure. I just hope that you can forgive me." He said apologetically.

Suzy huffed slowly and smiled. She pat the back of Myungsoo’s jacket and squeezed the tip of his shoulder lightly.

“I still hate you though.”

“Ergh. Fine. Go on with the hating.”

“But, I appreciate your sincerity. The way you come clean prove to me that you was once the one who I choose as my best friend.”

Myungsoo stares confusedly at the latter. ‘What is this? Don’t tell me she was starting to remember things now?’ He takes a deep breath and took off his eyes. If it was true, then he would be the first person to jump in joy. But, at the same time he cannot deny how fast his heart beat was right now. If and only if Suzy regain her memory back, would he still be on her side like this? He suddenly felt bitter inside.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

They finally arrive in front of Suzy’s house after a few minutes of walking.

“You can go now.”

Myungsoo widen his eyes in surprise.

“What? After everything that I’ve done, you-“

“I just don’t want anyone to get a weird picture of two us being alone here. So, thank you for accompanying me home like this.” She cut Myungsoo off.

“Hey.”

“What?”

“I don’t care about what others think.”

“Well, you should. What would your non-stop list of girlfriend react to this if they know?”

“I don’t have something like that, Suzy! I already have someone in my mind....”

“Whatever.”

"No. Listen to me."

"I've told you. Whatever Myungsoo."

“The girl that I love…”

Suzy stop her steps.

“Is right in front of me.”