Confessions From the Left and Right

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An edgy bellman leads you to the 64th floor where three adjoining suites have been hastily yet meticulously prepared per Myungsoo’s orders. LJoe takes the room on the left and you take the middle, leaving the silent prince with the one on the right.

 

As you grab the door handle to your room, you worriedly glance over at Myungsoo. From the conference hall, to the private elevator ride, and now here, he has avoided all eye contact you’ve tried to initiate. “Myungsoo…” you call out, hoping to break the silence.

 

But just as before, he keeps his gaze lowered. “I’m sorry,” he replies softly and heads inside without bothering to look at either of you.

 

Feeling uneasy, you turn to LJoe who simply responds with a comforting smile before disappearing to his room.

 

With both of them gone, you let out a sigh and enter your suite quietly. You walk over to the edge of the bed and empty the contents of your wet backpack, sweeping them to one corner with your foot. Releasing another sigh, you blindly grab one of the multiple outfits management had laid out and drag yourself to the bathroom for a hot shower, all at a snail’s pace.

 

After getting dressed, you take a seat by the windowsill overlooking the now calm ocean and dial Hana’s number to report your unbelievable story.

 

“Yes, we're fine. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow,” you assure her for the third time before hanging up the phone.

 

As you get up and head for your bed, you hear the door to your left open.

 

“Tok tok!” LJoe greets as he pokes his head in, waiting for permission to enter.

 

You flash a weak smile and let him in, quietly closing the connecting door before sitting yourself on the sofa.

 

Noticing you slumped on your seat with a solemn expression, LJoe throws himself on the soft mattress and stares at the ceiling. “Someone looks a little depressed,” he starts, gaining your attention. “Cheer up Mi Young! We’re on vacation for crying out loud,” he tells you with an enthusiastic smile.

 

Confused, you stare at him. It’s either you’re really selfish or you’re just plain senseless. You think to yourself before addressing his comment. “Do you have amnesia or something? How can I cheer up when something like that just happened?” you reply almost angrily, “The Myungsoo back there…that wasn’t him, that wasn’t the real him…he doesn't—”

 

“Oh you’re so cute,” LJoe cuts you off with a laugh.

 

"Huh? What—?”

 

He lets out a sigh then flashes a gentle smile. “You're adorable. You're too adorable. It’s so cute how you’re still so clueless,” he answers.

 

You shift your eyes to him, unsure of what he means, “What are you talking about?”

 

LJoe sits up on the bed and crosses his legs. “What happened back there, his big scene at the conference hall…that was all just an act. You and I both know Myungsoo wouldn’t bother with something as flashy as that. If it was up to him, he would've just fired her and be done with it without involving other people," he explains, "The Kim Myungsoo you saw just now, is the Kim Myungsoo that his father expects him to be. He handled the situation exactly how his father would have wanted him to.”

 

Shinil’s leader shifts on his seat and lets out sigh. “After all, for people like us—who are born with power without even working for it—it’s already instituted in our minds that fear is power. As long as people fear you, you remain respected…you remain powerful."

 

Being sheltered from the highly competitive business world, it takes a while for his explanation to settle in. For the most part, he’s right. LJoe, you, and Myungsoo all live in a world where your actions and decisions reflect the values of your family as well as competency of the companies you will soon manage…but seeing this heavy burden play before your eyes was—for lack of a better word—scary.

 

With a pillow in tow, you crawl into bed and sit next to him. “So that’s really how it is?” you comment in a low voice, almost to yourself.

 

Catching a glimpse of your down casted eyes, LJoe’s smile turns into a laugh. "I think I’m beginning to get jealous of your innocence,” he tells you as he pats your head lightly.

 

“What? My innocence?” you repeat, raising the pillow above your head, “Lee Byung Hun-ssi, are you mocking me?”

 

LJoe quickly shakes his head and leans back with his index finger acting as a makeshift cross. “No, no, not at all!” he counters, fully aware of the danger that lurks by whenever you have a sack of feathers in your hand.

 

“Psh,” you breath out and lower the weapon back to your lap. You can’t help but smile at his childish reactions and even more, be thankful for always having him by your side. When it comes to situations like earlier, he's surprisingly the one who can make everything better.

 

“Hey Mi Young," he interrupts with a serious tone.

 

"Hm?"

 

"Are you really okay?”

 

Thinking he’s referring to your light wounds, you examine your bandaged arm. “I think I’ll be fine. It’s just a couple of scratches and some bruising,” you answer with optimism.

 

“I’m not talking about that,” he tells you, meeting your eyes with worry visible in his.

 

You look at him with curiosity, “Then?”

 

“Suho-ssi…” he starts.

 

“Sunbae?” you repeat, thinking nothing of it, “Didn’t we talk about this already?”

 

“Yeah…but I think you should know that—” he answers, stopping midsentence as if the cat got his tongue.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter