Yasunari's Snow Country

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Because I listen to my heart beat one by one. Oh, hey! Hey! Because I listen to my heart heart heart. Listen to my heart heart.”

 

Your alarm rings. Its catchy beats bounce off the wide walls and high ceiling, echoing endlessly throughout the room. You reach for your phone with an outstretched arm, desperately trying to swipe the snooze button with any one of your fingers. After your third failed attempt, you sit up on your bed and do a nice quick stretch getting whatever energy you can in your tired body. And once you're at least half-awake, you drag your sleepy self to get ready for school and head downstairs for breakfast.

 

Today is actually the first time you’ll eat breakfast at your house since you arrived a few months ago. Normally, you just dash out the door and get something on your way to school, but since you got up earlier than usual, you decide to eat at home.

 

You enter the kitchen and quietly sit yourself at the long counter overlooking the stoves, ovens, and cabinets. Dong Wook ahjussi, your childhood guardian and lifelong family chef, is already creating something delicious. It seems like they never stop cooking in your house, even though the only person who lives here so far is you and occasionally, Hana.

 

Since both of your parents are out of the country; your dad is in a business trip with his brother-in-law and your mom is either doing volunteer work in some other part of Asia or shopping somewhere in Europe, Dong Wook ahjussi is the one in charge of looking after you. Up until you moved to the States, he was the one who was always there when your dad couldn’t be. He's been such an important part of your family ever since you can remember that you consider him as a second father.

 

“Ahjussi annyeonghaseyo,” you greet him excitedly after settling in.

 

The old man turns around, surprised that you're actually in his kitchen. He wasn’t expecting that you’d drop by so early in the morning.

 

“Oh. Annyeong hashimnikka Mi Young-ssi,” he returns the greeting and faces you, bowing to a respectable degree. As he rises up, he signals for his assistant chefs to stop what they're doing and do the same. With that, they all turn towards you and bow.

 

You smile at them and make a small nod in acknowledgment.

 

“Ahjussi,” you start in somewhat of a kid like manner, “what’s for breakfast?”

 

“Hm?” he looks at you, slightly taken aback.  After quickly processing your question, he asks, “Ah, what does our Mi Young-ssi request?”

 

You give him a bright smile and reply, “Surprise me."

 

And with those words, a buzz of whispers begin to circulate across the room as his assistants to look each other for hints of what to properly prepare. But just as soon as it started, the quiet noise stops. With a signal from the executive chef, they begin to work like robots.

 

In less than ten minutes, Dong Wook ahjussi has your omurice ready just how you like it—oozing with goodness.

 

You bite your fork as one of the apprentices place your breakfast in front of you. "Please enjoy," he tells you nervously as he gradually backs away.

 

You dig your fork into the soft omelet and scoops some rice along with it. As you lift your utensil to take a bite, the line chefs hold their breaths and wait for your reaction.

 

You chew slowly, savoring the taste. "Wha~ nomu masshiseoyo (it's really good)!” you exclaim with rounded eyes, causing a loud sigh of relief from the group of young chefs and a laugh from Dong Wook ahjussi.

 

After finishing your breakfast, the old chef walks you out of the kitchen. “Ya…" he starts, looking at you. "You’ve gotten so big…how are you holding up?” he asks casually.

 

You smile, “It’s...interesting. Truth be told, I’m actually enjoying it more than I thought I would.”

 

“Falling in love, I see?” he jokes.

 

“Ahjussi…”

 

Without another word, he responds with another laugh and pats your shoulders lightly. The two of you walk to the door where your personal maid is waiting with your bag in hand. And after thanking her, you bid goodbye to Dong Wook ahjussi and head out.

 

As you skip to the car, the image of Suho's coat hanging in your closet suddenly pops in your head. Instead of asking your maid to retrieve it, you turn around and dash up the grand staircase, bursting open your bedroom door and taking the coat that's been hanging in your closet since last week. Since he suddenly became busy with his medical classes and some personal things, you haven't found any time to meet with him for longer than five seconds.

 

With the coat in your arms, you then walk over to your vanity and open the top right drawer, revealing the hand-crafted phone charm you found in his coat pocket the day you had it dry cleaned. It's obvious it’s meant for a girl, or maybe, is from a girl, making you just a little bit curious about his relationship status.

 

After placing the item inside your pocket, you run back down the stairs and jump in the car.

 

|| …………. ||

 

The chauffer drops you off in front of Daewon University and as you come out of the Bentley, the very first sight to greet you is a bunch of girls crowded around something—or someone.

 

After hearing a distant screech, your face turns sour, realizing exactly why such sound was created. “LJoe…” you mutter under your breath as you make your way towards the commotion.

 

Ever since you and Hana stopped coming to their school—because all the work needed for the Fall Banquet was finished—they decided to switch the role by being the ones to raid your school and make it their main hang out spot before and after their classes.

 

Of course, the faculty can’t really do anything about it. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter