A Confession, a Myth, and a Mystery

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s Friday, March 12, 7:10 P.M.—T-minus 23 hours and 50 minutes before Prince Charming’s long-awaited birthday party.

 

“Do not, I repeat, do not forget to study the law of supply and demand! You will be tested on it next week!” your macroeconomics professor hollers after the waves of students rushing to escape her monotonous lecture. For most, including you, this energy-draining class is their last class for the week…so, to stay even a minute later will just be pure torture.

 

After meeting up with Hana at your usual spot, the two of you navigate your way through the mass of fast moving bodies and join the Shinil trio waiting just outside the front gates of Daewon.

 

Upon spotting that platinum blonde locks in the crowd, Hana sprints. “Oppa!” she screams happily as she runs to LJoe.

 

You follow behind her leisurely, observing from a short distance how she skips her way into LJoe’s arms. By now, you’re 99.99% convinced that she’s set her heart, like many other girls, in chasing after Shinil’s notorious leader. Ottoke, Hana-ya? You ask yourself after releasing a worried sigh. Will you be able to deal with his never-ending promiscuity?

 

When you finally reach the gate, you’re welcomed by a pair of bickering children screaming at each other like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Do you always have to run up to him like that?” Chunji yells with his brows furrowed down. “You know how annoying that is to watch?” he asks—almost growling—as he points at your cousin’s hand tightly linked onto LJoe’s arm.

 

“Well if you don't like it, then close your eyes!” Hana retorts with much sass.

 

"Even if I close my eyes, I can still hear you!" Chunji snaps back with a voice louder than before.

 

Slyly yet forcefully, LJoe yanks his imprisoned arm from Hana’s grasps and quietly walks over to where you are. “Long time, no see,” he greets with this half flirtatious grin, “Did you miss me?”

 

“I did actually,” you reply nonchalantly.

 

Taken by surprise, he clears his throat to calm his rapidly beating heart. “Well you know what they say,” he starts after restraining the growing smile on his face.

 

Curious of what this Casanova is thinking, you briefly meet his eyes, “No, what?”

 

LJoe leans over, decreasing the distance between your shoulders, and ever so smoothly, he whispers, “That you always miss those you love.”

 

You let out a small laugh, amazed by his everlasting confidence.

 

A little flustered by his own comment, he fixes his eyes on the two quarrelling figures. “They make a cute couple, don’t they?” he begins.

 

“You think so?” you reply, training your gaze to where his is locked.

 

“Don’t you?” he asks as he take a quick glance at you.

 

“I do…” you answer honesly, lowering your voice to finish your sentence, “but it’s too bad she’s in love with you.”

 

“Hm?”

 

You meet his eyes and flash a smile, “Nothing.”

 

“Admit it! You’re jealous!” Hana screams.

 

“Oh, for the love of—just tell her already!” Changjo interrupts, briefly looking up from his guitar and simultaneously silencing your red-faced cousin.

 

She looks at Chunji with a much calmer expression and rounded eyes. “Tell me…?” she starts cautiously.

 

Shinil’s third in command freezes on the spot. He wasn’t planning on doing it today nor anytime soon, but…

 

With his upper set of teeth lightly clawing on his lower lip, Chunji inhales deeply, hesitating for a moment, before grabbing Hana by both arms. And after releasing another breath, he steps closer, meets her gaze, and leans in to give her a gentle peck on the lips. “Sa-saranghae,” he confesses.

 

Ever so slowly, Hana’s lips curve into a wide smile. “Took you long enough…I love you too,” she tells him as she throws her arms around his neck and steals a more passionate kiss.

 

“Ch-Chunji?” you blurt out accidentally just as the two part from each other.

 

Hana stares at you, wide-eyed and curious. “What’s wrong?” she asks, blinking once, twice, three times.

 

But just as you open your mouth to speak, her now boyfriend lets out a loud gasp. “Omo! Mi Young-ah…are you in love with me too?” he inquires out loud.

 

“Aish! What the hell are you asking?” Hana hisses as she smacks Chunji’s arm. “Ya Lee Chan Hee, get yourself together,” she warns through gritted teeth accompanied with her death stare.

 

“Oh, babe, no. I didn’t mean it like that! Even if she is in love with me, I’d still choose you. I’ll choose you over anyone,” Chunji assures her.

 

“I’m not. I’m really not. I feel no attraction to you whatsoever,” you clarify, making the third in command display a pout of offense. Before Chunji can counter with something, you turn your attention to your cousin. “I’ve just always thought you were in love with…” you start, switching your gaze from hers to LJoe’s.

 

“Me?” the branded Casanova replies as he points to himself.

 

Just then, Hana lets out a loud gaspy laugh. “LJoe oppa? You thought I liked LJoe—” she begins in between chuckles, followed by another round of laughter. After catching her breath, she finally straightens up. “Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t. I wouldn’t have the strength to deal with his miles long line of devoted suitors and casual one timers. LJoe’s like an older brother who I fangirl to sometimes. I can never see him as more than that,” she explains casually before letting out a sigh of disappointment in your direction. “Oh what will I do with you dear? You’re really too clueless when it comes to falling in love,” she breathes out as she lightly your hair.

 

|| …………. ||

 

After all the congratulations and light teasing are over with, the five of you head downtown to a nearby shopping district. It’s already a quarter to eleven, yet many are still outside, taking a late-night stroll underneath the city lights.

 

With fluttering heart-shaped eyes and fingers tightly intertwined, the new couple prances some distance ahead of the three of you. Changjo, who’s texting on his phone, follows quietly behind them while you and LJoe lag a few feet away from him.

 

“So…” you begin, unable to come up with something better to initiate a conversation.

 

“How’s Suho-ssi?” he unintentionally asks at the same time.

 

The two of you exchange smiles before refocusing your eyes ahead. “He’s doing well,” you answer after thinking back to your most recent conversation with Suho, “He just applied as a part time student to one of the local colleges near his home.”

 

"That's good…Anything else?" he inquires, interested about something else—something significantly more important.

 

“Are you waiting for me to say that he misses you?’ you tease with a playful smile, but before he can respond, you let out a soft laugh followed by a quiet breath. “Hmm…he also mentioned visiting a close family friend—a doctor and his daughter—who helped his mom recover from an illness a few years back,” you answer, trailing off as you try to remember what exactly Suho told you.

 

“That’s all?” LJoe pushes on, more curious than before.

 

You look at him with narrowed eyes and a tilted head. “I’m sorry, but he really didn’t say he misses you…do you want me to lie and tell you he does?” you joke, hoping to get a reaction from him.

 

But instead of letting out a breathy “aish” or denying it with every cell in his body, LJoe simply shakes his head. “No, it’s okay,” he replies calmly, surprising you.

 

“Uh…are you—” you begin slowly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter