The Heiress's Journey Home

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After crossing multiple intersections and winding in and out of countless alleys, you finally locate a precious yet extremely rare payphone. Ecstatic, you dig through your canvas backpack for some lose change, but unluckily find none. Without giving up, you looked around and pat yourself down, wishing for a miracle.

 

There! You exclaim silently as you feel a couple of flat circular objects sitting in a corner of your coat pocket. You pull out the small handful, expecting to lay eyes upon the glorious Yi Sun-sin and the red-crown crane. Instead, you’re greeted by the side profiles of FDR and George Washington.

 

Your wide smile immediately disappears upon sight. Fahhh, you breathe out and lean your head against the glass wall. Since the incident earlier destroyed your only means of communication, you still haven’t called the people scheduled to pick you up and time’s ticking down. Looking blankly ahead, you consider the limited choices available:

 

You can take a taxi to GH Group's Headquarters—but that requires you to introduce yourself to the company’s employees. You can ask to use a local store’s phone—but again, you’ll run the risk of revealing your identity. You can take a taxi to your house—surely, the driver would know where Ga Mansion is even if you don’t have the address—but…that also means you’ll be giving away your identity. 

 

Nope. No. And definitely not.

 

Letting out a deep sigh, you slide to the ground as if all hope is lost. You stare at your watch and follow the seconds’ hand make its way around the circular perimeter.

 

Another sigh.

 

In less than fifteen minutes, your chauffer will discover your absence and some seconds after that, news of your disappearance will be broadcasted to the entire nation while your pictures graze every TV screen available.

 

"Na ottoke? (What should I do?)" you ask quietly between frustrated sobs.

 

Just as those words escape your mouth, a light knock on the glass interrupts your moping. You look up and see a familiar face looking down at you with a warm smile. A knight in a slim fitted black suit has arrived.

  

"Suho-ssi!" you call, feeling instant relief from his presence.

 

"Mi Young-ssi," he greets with such gentle voice. He makes his way around to the booth’s opening and squats down to your level, eyeing you with a questioning expression, "You okay? What are you doing here?"

 

You meet his gaze and lightly shake your head. "I’m lost,” you begin with your lips curving into a arch. You raise your broken phone into view and continue, “I don’t know where my home is."

 

“Eh?"

 

|| ………… ||

 

After you finish explaining what happened and describing in detail how horrible of a person—if he can even be classified as one—that egotistical jerk was, Suho lets out a loud laugh. He obviously finds the event amusing.

 

"Jeongmal? (Really?)” he asks in between soft chuckles, “You should've added a slap or two to make it more dramatic.”

 

“You’re right! I should have!” you agree almost immediately, imagining that satisfying sound your palm would have made if your hand had grazed that wannabe gang leader's cheeks.

 

Before you can fantasize about more creative ways of getting back at that conceited guy—such as having a big, giant yellow bulldozer run him over—Suho adds something that interrupts the beautiful image in your head. “Oh, but Mi Young-ssi isn't as cool as I thought she was..." he jokes while observing your current situation. All this time, you’ve been slumped on the ground and on the verge of crying…like a poor lost child.

 

Without a word, you narrow your eyes and shoot daggers in his direction.

 

“Oohhh…museupda (scary),” he playfully comments.

 

"Ya…"

 

Once again, Suho laughs then quickly apologizes. “Alright I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel worse. Jeongmal mianhe Mi Young-ssi,” he tells you, putting his hands together and lowering his head to a casual bow.

 

Playing along, you cross your arms and turn your head away, “Hmph!”

 

"Aigoo...how cute," he breathes out and ruffles your hair, taking you by surprise. He then stands up, takes your small luggage, and offers his hand.

 

You stare at him…this figure towering over you, just waiting patiently with an extended arm and a comforting smile. Right in this moment, a single thought occupies your mind—the fact that your heart definitely skipped a beat.

 

After watching you remain motionless for some seconds, Suho grabs a hold of your wrist and gently pulls you up, yelling “let’s go!” as he drags you out of the phone booth.

 

One step. Two steps. Three steps. Four.

Left foot. Right foot. Left. Right. Left.

 

Now hand in hand, you make your way down the street with matching paces. “Where are we going?” is the question you ought to be asking, yet you silently let him lead you to whichever destination he has set his mind to. Yes, underneath all this sweetness and gentlemanly personality there could lie a deranged man ready to commit unthinkable crimes, but…right now, these thoughts are far from your worries. Even if you know you should, you don’t have the strength to pull away…because with this stranger and now friend, you find some much needed comfort and security.

 

After a block or two away, Suho finally halts to a stop. It’s only now he realizes he's been holding on to a girl he barely knows. He quickly releases his hold on you and once again apologizes. "Uh...umm," he mumbles after and places a hand on the back of his neck as he searches for words to excuse his sudden actions. 

 

"Oh, it’s okay," you manage to reply despite the awkward moment.

 

With nothing else to say, you smile at each other to lighten up the mood and continue walking.

 

As he reaches up to swipe his bangs, you catch a glimpse of his watch: 7:54 PM.

 

!

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter