Too Young to Marry

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You return the smile and shake her hand, “Ga Mi Young.”

 

"Ga Mi Young. Ga…Mi…Young,” Hye Su repeats to herself, trying to think of the familiar name. Once it clicked, she stares at you with rounded eyes, “Ga Mi Young? As in—”

 

“Should’ve left out the family name,” you mumble to yourself with a sigh. You meet her startled gaze with your lips pressed together in a half smile. “But yes, as in GH Group,” you continue for her. “I’m sorry, I’m just really tired of hearing those words every time I meet someone new," you explain.

 

“Ah, I see,” she breathes out and flashes you a childish grin, “I guess I would be too. Sorry.”

 

You shake your head and widen your smile…There’s something about this girl that's just so childlike and charming.

 

As the two of you continue a conversation, you soon find out that she's about a year older than you, around the same age as the guys. After talking some more, you suddenly remember the charm. Even though you're certain it's not Suho's, you still muster up the courage to inquire about her personal item.

 

“I'm sorry if this comes off as random, but that phone charm you have...can you tell me where you got it?" you ask.

 

Hye Su retrieves her phone from her pocket and places it on the table, smiling at the charm as she examines its features. “My fiancé gave it to me," she starts, "but it's hand crafted and made to order so I'm not sure where he got it from."

 

Letting the last part of her sentence past your ears, you look at her in complete shock. “Fiancé?" you repeat.

 

“Yes, he kept it hidden in this special box and one day I happen to come across it,” she continues, engrossed in the story. “When I asked him why, he said he didn’t like to see it because it reminds him of something special in the past. And being the selfish girl that I am, I asked if I can keep it.” Hye Su flashes a broad smile as she thinks back to that moment. "At first he was hesitant, but he eventually agreed to let me have it…He’s not really the type to say no,” she finishes along with her seemingly pained grin.

 

"He sounds like a great guy,” you comment, seeing just how in loves she is with the person who owns the charm. Going back to your question earlier, you adjust yourself in your seat. "Hey, don’t take this the wrong way, but…aren’t you still a bit too young to get married?” you ask, hoping not to offend her.

 

Hye Su lets out a laugh. “I am,” she answers confidently, “Engage at eighteen doesn’t sound too good, does it? But it’s not because I’m pregnant or anything.”

 

“Ah…”

 

“It’s actually an arranged marriage,” she clarifies, catching your attention, “He only agreed to marry me because my dad helped his mother recover when she suffered from a rare illness. He was one of the very few doctors who had enough experience to handle her case."

 

You listen attentively as she pours out her movie-like story.

 

"Actually we aren't supposed to get married until we're in our late twenties, but we recently found out my father only has a few years left to live. Being the only family member I have left, he wanted to make sure I had someone to lean on after he's gone,” she explains, “On top of that, dad desperately wants to see me walk down the aisle and asked my now fiancé if it's possible to move the wedding to an earlier date.”

 

Hye Su lets out a sigh then clears . “Of course, he couldn't say no,” she continues, “He knew that I’ve liked him ever since I was a little girl and that I was practically in love with him. What's more is that my father really wants him to be his son-in-law…so he told his parents that he’ll marry me.”

 

With the smile fading from her face, Hye Su takes another pause. “Even though he only agreed because he feels that his family is indebted to mine and because he feels sorry for me, to be honest, I’m okay with it…Because I know he’s sweet, kind, caring, and everything you can ever ask for in a guy," she says with a hint of pain.

 

She clears for the second time and takes a sip of coffee to quench her drying mouth. "I understand someone else is in his heart and it kills me to see the pain in his eyes every time he talks about her…Call me selfish, but I can't be any happier than how I am right now…with me by his side and not her, whoever she is. I just hope someday he’ll learn to love me just as much as I love him,” she finishes, lowering her gaze, suddenly embarrassed for spilling her love story to a complete stranger, "I’m sorry, I don't know why I'm telling you all this."

 

You look at her, getting a sense of the swirl of emotions she's constantly feeling. You reach for her hand and flash a warm smile. “Don’t worry. I’m sure sooner or l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter