A Stranger's Charm

I've Fallen For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With a deep breath, you step forward and begin to make your way to the front, ignoring—as best as you can—the endless rows of eyes following your every move.

 

Noticing the now empty space beside him, Woohyun slows down his vigorous claps. He opens his mouth to call after you, but he realizes he never bothered to learn your name. “Aish,” he curses under his breath, giving his head a frustrated scratch. “Ya! Where are you going? Ya!” he shouts over the guests' loud and never-ending applause, but to no avail.

 

You ignore his calls and continue on your way, parading down the short distance to stage with a dignified look—a look suited for the sole heiress to the biggest conglomerate in the country.

 

As you near the stage, your eyes lock on to Myungsoo’s, just as they did many times before. And like then, you find yourself unable to breakaway. How can one’s gaze be this captivating?

 

And as if that’s not enough, he sends an enchanting smile your way, making you fall deeper into the binding spell. Only when you’re finally up the stage did you muster the strength to break from his hypnotizing eyes. You quietly walk over to your father and give him a light peck on the cheek, quickly whispering your apology for only showing up now. You then turn and politely greet Kim Jae Sun with a formal bow before facing Myungsoo.

 

To the best of your ability, you try to control the expression painted on your face…because after all, it won’t be very lady like if you introduce yourself with ogling eyes and a drooling half-open mouth. And so, after a noiseless breath, you flash a friendly smile, hold out a hand, and wait for him to shake it.

 

But instead, Myungsoo gently brings it to his lips and plants a light kiss of the back of your hand, taking you, as well as his father and yours, by surprise.

 

If it weren’t for the Sugar Plum blush on your cheeks and the ballroom’s dim lighting, the whole room would’ve witnessed a flushed faced heiress suddenly flustered from the sensation of his soft lips pressing against your skin. And once he finally releases your hand, you quickly turn to face the audience, not wanting the prince charming to catch a glimpse of your glowing red cheeks.

 

You scan the crowd and make your way to the mic, dropping to a bow. "Annyeonghaseyo, Ga Mi Young imnida. It's a pleasure to meet all of you,” you begin. After addressing the audience, you turn to Myungsoo and his father, flashing a warm smile, “First off, I want to apologize for briefly taking the spotlight away from the man of the hour, but more importantly, thank you for inviting my family and me to help celebrate such a wonderful occasion."

 

Kim Jae Sun waves his hand as he answers for the both of them, “No dear, it’s our pleasure,” he replies, extremely proud that the highly sought-after daughter made her first public introduction at a party he's hosting.

 

You reply with a slight bow then divert your eyes over to Myungsoo, who calmly meets them for the nth time tonight. "Happy birthday Kim Myungsoo-ssi," you greet formally before letting the emcee proceed with the program.

 

|| …………. ||

 

One bow here, three bows there, two more over here, and another four over there. After an hour of repeated introductions and endless greetings, you finally manage to make a great escape. You slip away to a secluded corner and quickly dial your still-a-no-show cousin’s number—aka the partner in crime who easily abandoned you for love.

 

“Hello?” Hana answers cheerfully.

 

“YA! Just where in the world did you sneak off to?” you shout in a whisper, frustrated that it took eight messages and five redials to finally reach her. “Your parents have been asking about you since I got here and I’m running out of excuses,” you warn, unwilling to answer one more question regarding your cousin’s whereabouts.

 

“Sorry…Chunji really wanted to show me something. Just keep covering for me please! I promise to be there in 30 minutes,” she replies hurriedly.

 

“30—what? Do you wanna die?” you start but are immediately cut off.

 

“Yeah, uh huh. I love you too Mi Young. I'll see you in a bit. Byeeeee!” your carefree cousin screams before hanging up her line.

 

“NUH! (You!)” you yell silently into the speaker just as the other end turn silent. You lower the phone from your ear and stare at the glossy black screen, releasing a frustrated sigh of disbelief, “Wha~ this little—”

 

“Everything okay?” a soothing voice interrupts from behind.

 

Thinking it’s one of the countless guests you met earlier, you take a deep quiet breath and quickly fix your expression. "Oh yes, everything is great," you answer politely as you turn around, expecting to see a middle-aged man too nosy to mind their own business.

 

But to your surprise, you find Myungsoo standing there, radiating with this prince like aura.

 

"It's you…" you breathe out like a starstrucked fan.

 

"It's me…" he repeats with a charming grin, making your cheeks grow hot from embarrassment.

 

Silence.

 

Ga Mi Young you—of all the things you could’ve said, why did it have to be those words? And why did you have to say them with such awe? You quietly lecture yourself.

 

"If you’re not too busy, would you care for a dance?" Myungsoo interrupts for the second time. He flashes an even more captivating smile, making it difficult to respond.

 

Thankfully, before you can give what would’ve been an awkward and flustered “yes”, he boldly takes your hand and leads you to the dance floor just as a slow song begins to play.

 

He places a light hand on the curve of your back while the other gently holds your hand, guiding you. Like gliding gracefully on ice, the two of you sway to the rhythm of the beautiful piece…hand in hand, bodies close, lost in each other’s eyes.

 

And as seconds tick by, you find your heart beating wildly and peacefully at the same time. This feeling…with him…it's…unexplainable.

 

|| …………. ||

 

Once the song dies down and the mandatory applause begins, the two of you silently escape to the hotel’s garden, far away from all the noise.

 

Without bothering to observe his surroundings, Myungsoo crouches down and plucks a fully blossomed Juliet Rose from behind the low fence, leaving a noticeable bald spot on the flower bed.

 

“Isn’t that illegal?” you whisper as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter