Chapter 39

The Boy Next Door

 

The wind was blowing and making all sorts of strange noises.  The clouds were pouring the seas onto the Earth. You sighed. You hated this day already.

You rubbed your puffy red eyes which were the effect of your crying non-stop last night. You stepped outside and stopped quickly as you saw Sehun going to his car. You called his name out loud, “Sehun!” But he didn’t even flinch.

*Maybe he didn’t hear me?* You thought as you looked at him. You didn’t have an umbrella and didn’t give it another thought as you stepped out from the shade of your roof onto the grass.

You crossed over your lawn and came onto Sehun’s. “Hi.” You said as you were getting soaked from the rain. Sehun didn’t even acknowledge you as he closed his car door. You walked closer to his car, “Sehun wait-“ You said but just as you touched the car door Sehun pulled out and drove away.

“Wait…” You said as you stood there in the pouring rain waiting for him to comeback.

You waited 5 minutes….

10 minutes…

He didn’t come back.

You didn’t want to be late to school, so you just started walking. *Maybe he didn’t see me?* You said as you walked getting poured on. You held onto your bag’s straps and looked at the sky. You squinted your eyes and said, “I should have brought an umbrella…” Just as you sighed a car that was driving by real fast splashed dirty-mucky water on you.

You stood there and started to cry. “What!” You yelled. You sank down and held your knees close to your chest and started to cry louder. “I deserve this!” You yelled to yourself, “I’m really an awful person…I deserve this…” You stood up and looked at your once clean white uniform, now it was dirty with brown muddy stains and so were your legs and hair. You were a mess.

“I have to go to school.” You wiped your tears and walked at a steady pace.

 

Meanwhile Sehun was already at school. He was seated in his chair, waiting for class to start. It was homeroom right now and the class was fooling around and laughing.

Sehun was also joking with his friends and laughing.

“It’s raining like outside!” Jinki said as he looked outside, “I’m so lucky you gave me a ride hyung!” He said hugging Heechul who stood next to him.

“Yah!” Heechul yelled, “Don’t touch me like that.” He looked at Sehun and said, “Ohh? What’s this?”

“Yah! Where’s your girl?” He asked pulling up a chair.

Sehun looked at him and said, “I don’t know she didn’t come with me today.”

Soyu who was with the other girls in class heard that and raised her eyebrow, “Sehun Oppa.”

Sehun didn’t even bother looking at her and just kept talking to his friends.

Soyu frowned and thought, *What?* She rolled her eyes and sat back down in her chair, *What’s his problem?*

 

You stepped into school, glad to be out of the rain but only to be seen by Mr. Lee.

“Yah!” Mr. Lee yelled as he saw you, “Who’s this?” He made his way over to you and smirked, “Well…well look who we have here…if it isn’t Miss Kim Dasom? First rank late to school?” He gave an evil laugh and looked at you.

You didn’t even bother looking up at him and he frowned, “Detention today after school one hour.”

You looked but at him and said, “But-I can explain...”

He shook his head and said, “You heard me.” He looked at your appearance and sighed, “Go to first period and after attendance go change your cloths.” He frowned looking at your appearance.

 

“Yah! Yah!” Minsoo yelled as he ran into class, “Dasom just got detention!” Everyone froze and looked at him.

“Why?” Some girl asked. You never received detention it was only natural for them to question it.

“She’s all soaked and looks like she has dirt all over her…” He glanced at Sehun and continued, “I think she walked to school…”

Just then you walked in all eyes on you. The teacher walked in behind you so the students only whispered about you.

“Settle down class-“ The homeroom teacher said but froze once he saw you, “Miss Dasom?”

You turned around and replied, “Yes?”

“Go get changed…” He sighed and continued, “Don’t get the classroom dirty.” With that a few students snickered and laughed but you were stoic as ever.

Sehun watched you as you exited the classroom, *She walked to school?* He turned his head and looked at the storm outside and thought, *I shouldn’t have done that…* He felt guilty all of a sudden but shook it off, *Why do I care…I’m not Kai…*

 

You took a shower at school, gym shower, quickly rinsing yourself from the filth and changed into a clean uniform the nurse had lent you kindly. It was a summer uniform but that’s all she had and you took it gladly, it was better than your dirty one at least.

You went into the girl’s bathroom and started to brush out your hair. You splashed hot water on your face before closing the faucet and looking at yourself in the mirror. Your face looked frozen, your lips had lost their color and your nose was red as ever. You were shriveling in the uniform but felt relieved that it was clean.

You made your way back to class and was relieved that the teacher was actually teaching. You sat in your chair and looked around for Miyu, but remembered she was in Japan for a wedding. *I guess I’m going to be alone for today.* You wiped that thought away mostly because you were freezing.

Sehun noticed you were shivering and sighed, *Looks like the only had summer uniforms?* He looked at the short sleeves and thin material and back at his warm sweater and his jacket. He thought about it for a moment but shook it off.

 

It was lunch time and Sehun still had not said one word to you. You sat at your table alone with no one, while Sehun sat at his old table with his friends laughing and eating away. Kyungsoo noticed you were alone but didn’t say anything thinking it was between Sehun and you and probably was a small fight. He sighed and wanted to go up to you but thought it would be better if he stayed out of it.

Sehun was taking a bite of his sandwich when he noticed how cold you looked. Your complexion was turning slightly blue and you were shivering like crazy. He turned away and resumed talking to his friends but in the back of his head you were all he could think about and he hated himself for that. Of course he still had bitter feelings towards you, why wouldn’t he.

 

It was P.E. class now and everyone was in the center of the gym standing and waiting for the instructor to come. You stood there alone and were hugging yourself and whimpering because you were freezing. Your teeth were chattering and you really felt faint.

Kyungsoo noticed how sick you looked and stood up, “Sehun…I don’t know what happened between you and Dasom but you should probably go over to her she doesn’t look well at all.”

Sehun glanced your way and saw how horrible you looked but shook it away without giving it another thought, “She’ll be alright.”

Just as Kyungsoo was about to sit back down he heard a thump. You were lying down flat on the ground. Kyungsoo jolted up and looked at Sehun, “You’re a bastard.” He said and ran over to you. Sehun sat there frozen not knowing what to do and how to feel.

He saw Kyungsoo lift you up and run out the door.

A mob of students stood in front of him whispering and pointing and he just sat there frozen, not being able to move.

 

An ambulance had arrived and had taken you away. Kyungsoo was telling the school nurse everything he noticed wrong about you and told her how you had walked to school. Just as he was done Sehun popped up in front of him.

“Aish! Really you scared the living soul out of me.” Kyungsoo said startled by Sehun’s sudden appearance.

Sehun looked at him and said, “How serious is it?”

Kyungsoo regained his senses and frowned at his friend who he wanted to beat the living daylights out of at the moment, “She’s being taken to the hospital, how serious do you think it is?” Kyungsoo said rudely and walked away brushing shoulders with Sehun.

~o~o~o~