Chapter 4

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 

Your P.O.V

You came home late last night. Amber, Luna and you were in the house for a long time and talked about everything. Shortly you realized that you would feel at home in this place just if there weren’t some idiots around, it would be even better. One thing you definitely look forward to is the skate park’s own competitions where people are investing money. You have seen things like this in movies but never experienced it yourself, and it seems to be really cool.

Your parents were already asleep and that is something they always do when you arrive home late. This is not the first time you’re out for so long and your parents are totally against you being out late alone. Every morning, the three of you sit and argue about the night before but the same night you still repeat your actions. You going out and coming back late is a habit that is hard to change. Sometimes you wonder how they don’t get tired of the nagging.

You went straight to your bed and threw everything off the bed onto the floor. You looked around the room and saw all the boxes and bags. Gaaah, can’t do it now…

You didn’t want to touch and move a single thing right now and all you could think about was your bed. You took off your mask and put it on one of the bags. You didn’t even bothered to change your clothes and just jumped on your bed. You laid down on your bed and thought of everything that happened today. The first day, and already so much has happened. Shortly after that, you fell asleep. 

 

 

***

 

The next morning you were awaken by your parents talking about you. That’s one thing they usually do without knowing that you hear everything. Your new room is located exactly opposite to the kitchen so you can hear clearly what they are saying. Your mother said that she was tired of your behaviour and that you should grow up now. Soon they finished with their breakfast and morning coffee and set off for work so you were left home alone.

You were still lying in your bed for a while but soon got tired of it and went up to take a quick shower. Today’s plan was to pack up all your things, fix the room and then take off to the skate park. After your shower, you quickly put on some shorts and a t-shirt and started with the unpacking and decor.

After a few hours of work, your room was almost done. When you unpacked your things, you realized that your other skateboard plank was broken. Seriously now?!

You were a little mad at your parents for not taking responsibility for other peoples' stuff. You grabbed the board and put it beside your bed to remind yourself to fix it one day.

It was afternoon, you were done with your room and just wanted to go out before your parents came back home. You grabbed your cap, mask and skateboard and went to the kitchen to make a sandwich and then run out and head to the park.

 

 

***

 

”And he was so hot and y when he started skateboarding,” Luna sat on the edge of the ramp and talked about her little blind date she had during noon.

You and Amber skated up and down the ramp and exchanged glances now and then.

“Shut up Luna, you think everything is hot,” said Amber with a sigh, “When a hot guy does an ordinary flip in the air, you’ll go crazy as if he did a three sixty flip or something,” Amber rolled her eyes and continued skating with you.

There weren’t so much people in the park so the three of you took it easy and just talked while you skated.

“Whatever,” Luna sighed and went up to go and sit at a desk.

After a while Amber grabbed her skateboard and walked over to her and sat beside her. You didn’t want to sit so you skated up to them and stood on your skateboard while rocking from one side to the other.

“Gina, don’t listen to Amber. You should’ve seen him!” Luna turned towards you hoping that you will comfort her.

“Luna, it’s freaking Jin Ah and not Gina!” Amber said through her clenched teeth.

“Oops! I’m sorry,” she said, smiling nervously. Suddenly she changed her facial expression and you couldn’t read it anymore, “Then I said wrong to them..” she whispered to herself but you heard it anyways.

“Wrong to whom?” you didn’t know what she was talking about and wanted to know if she was talking about you.

“Ehh, nothing ," she smiled weakly before grabbing her own skateboard and skating up to a ramp.

“I don’t even know why I’m friends with her,” said Amber and leaned back, putting her elbows on the table.

"Stop it,” you chuckled and Amber joined you.

Suddenly Amber’s face changed and became more serious. Her eye-smile disappeared and instead she eyes burned in hatred. You looked thoughtfully at her when suddenly someone hit you in your head so your cap flew off. You looked first down on your cap that was now on the ground and then at the person next to you. There were two girls. One uglier than the other where both looked like real es. Amber jumped up and you put your arm in front of her to stop her, and then turned around to face the girls next to you.

“Who the hell are you to come out of nowhere and hit me?” you watched the two girls with a disgusted look.

”Listen girl..” the first, dark-blonde haired girl began, ”Stay away from Yongguk!” she waved with her finger.

“You heard her. Stay away from him, ” said the other dark-haired girl with strange eyes.

You looked at Amber and then back at them. You had this wtf-expression on your face and couldn’t believe this was happening. These girls must be a joke.

”What the actual ?” you asked yourself loud.

“Don’t play dumb and cool and just do as I said, otherwise…” said the blonde girl and looked at her friend who apparently was supposted to finish her sentence.

“O-oth-otherwise expect the worst to happen to you,” she nodded in satisfaction from her smart answer.

 

This has to be a joke right?

You removed your arm from Amber, who bent down to pick your cap up. You gave them a last look before you turned into a laughing mess. You laughed so hard that your stomach muscles started aching. 

The girls in front of you had confused looks. They looked angry at the same time because they didn’t manage to scare you.

“S-shut up!” yelled the blonde one.

You stopped laughing and changed your face from a cheerful to the most serious one you could.

“Listen now you ,” you jumped of your skateboard to take it in your hands, “Take your little friend here,” you pointed to the dark-haired girl, “and Yongguk, and go to hell okay?”

You put on your cap again and pulled Amber, who was really angry, away.

“Why do you even exist Gyuri?” asked Amber and followed you.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you!” yelled the blonde one after you. You didn’t even look back and just showed your middle finger to her.

You and Amber skated to the other side of the park and didn’t say a single word. You were confused and pissed at the same time, and when you looked at Amber, she was angry too.

“Who does she think she is?” you asked and watched some people who skated into the park.

“I don’t know. She believes that Yongguk is hers,” said Amber, waving her hand to show that Gyuri was crazy, “They made out once at a party and now she thinks that he’s hers. .”

“How pathetic,” you made a grimace before putting your mask over your mouth, ”Let’s skate,” you threw your skateboard in front of you and jumped on it.

The two of you skated around and tested different ramps. You slid through some ledges and even learned a few new tricks from Amber. She was pretty awesome and you wanted to see more of it but in the same minute you heard Luna.

“Guys!” you turned around and saw a happy Luna skate up to you.

Behind Luna, you noticed a bunch of guys entering the park and all of them had a face mask on. It was exactly like yours just black and white. They were six guys and everyone was on their own skateboard. You began to wonder who it was but soon recognized the red cap one of them had.  They went to a ramp where some other people was, especially girls. You saw Yongguk walk up, greet the guys before throwing his arm around some girl’s waist. Tss, jackass.

“Jin Ah!” screamed Luna interrupting your thoughts, “Did you hear what I said?” you looked at her and nodded a yes even if though you didn’t have a clue what she was talking about.

“And what did I say?” she asked with one hand on her hip.

“Ehm… Actually I don’t care,” you shrugged your shoulders.

You sat on the edge of the ramp while Amber skated in front of you. Suddenly the group of guys started approaching the ramp you were at. What do they want now?

It was getting darker so the street lights and lights in the park . Yongguk and his friends came up to you and took off their masks, except one guy. There were three girls with them too. One that Yongguk held by her waist, and two others who were with the ulzzang-like guy.

“Well, well, well. Isn’t it our little Gina we have here?” said Yongguk as it the two of you have known each other for a long time.

You were really shocked by what he said. It was impossible that he could find out your name, especially American name, so quickly. How the hell?!

“It’s not G-“ you put your hand on Luna’s mouth to shut her up and gave her a look not to speak anymore.

“What do you want” you nodded to him.

“The rematch I asked for,” he answered right away. He released the girl and took a step closer to you. He bent down until he was in the same height as you, “But I see that you are about to chicken out, huh?”

You got up on your legs, which made Yongguk to back a little bit because he was in your way.

“You know what? You can get the freaking rematch you asked for, loser,” you were really close to him and that made you a little nervous but you stayed cool as always.

“Good,” he said smiling at you whilestill standing really near you.

The two of you were standing like this a few more seconds before someone from behind coughed and the tallest guy out of Yongguk’s friends jumped up. “It’s on!”

 

 

***

 

“You’re crazy… but I like it,” Amber tapped your back slightly.

“Well, someone has to show him,” you winked.

There were hoards of people in the skatepark. They all came when they heard that there was a rematch and no one wanted to miss it. The people gathered around various ramps and places and waited for the rematch to begin. You were waiting with Amber and Luna on one side. You saw two guys entering the park and joining the crowd. You have seen one of them before and suddenly you recognized him. The guy from yesterday. The one who skated alone yesterday, turned out to be Yongguk’s enemy. He threw a glance at you and that's when your eyes met. He smiled at you with an indescribable attractive smile so you had to break the eye contact.

“Sooo, where is the money everyone?!” a guy shouted out of nowhere. You widened your eyes because you didn’t know that money would be involved.

Everyone began to shout ‘Zico, Zico, Zico’ at the same time, and people started taking out money.

“Money?! We never agreed on that one!” you yelled out so Yongguk could hear you because it was too loud.

He came up to you and everything became silent again. Why is everyone so afraid of him?! That fact bothered you so much.

“Nothing wrong with that. Or are you not confident enough in yourself and your skills?” he tilted his head to the side.

You grew angrier and couldn’t let him think something like that.
“Bring the cash out!” you turned towards the crowd.

The guy who apparently was named Zico took a cap and started walking around collecting the money. Soon the cap was filled with cash and the rematch could finally begin.

“We can start with something simple.” Yongguk jumped on his skateboard and skated to the smallest ramp. He rolled up and down a few times while he stayed for a second on each cope. When he skated down the ramp the last time and was approaching the edge, he took hold of his skateboard and lifted it up, spinning around and landing nicely. Everyone screamed and whistled. Yongguk looked at you and showed with his hand that it was your turn.

You did very well. The two of you owned ramp after ramp with increasingly difficult tricks. But after every ramp, you became more and more nervous. It’s not the tricks that you were afraid of, but the…height. You are afraid of heights and you are ashamed of it. Being a skater and afraid of heights doesn’t get along, therefore you didn’t show it and just continued. You looked around and there were more and more people entering the park. Zico went around and the money just gathered in his cap. You saw Yongguk’s tallest friend smiling at you and showing thumbs up. What the...?

“It’s your turn,” said Yongguk and placed his hand on your lower back to push you forward. You are not really a fan of skin ship and therefore turned around and slapped his arm away. He smirked and walked down the ramp.

You took a deep breath and jumped on your skateboard. Slowly but surely you rolled down the ramp. Everyone started cheering and it felt good. You liked it. When you approached the deck, you bent down, took hold of your skateboard, picked it up and held it in the air on top of your head, and just when you were about to land, you spun around once, bent down again, put your skateboard under your feet and landed nicely than ever before. Your heart was pounding like crazy but you stayed calm.

Everyone screamed and whistled and you walked down the ramp and up to Amber to high five her.

“That was a good one,” she said.

“Of course it was,” you nodded.

You spotted the girl, Gyuri, running up to Yongguk and hugging him. You rolled your eyes and looked towards the other side to see the guy, Yongguk’s enemy, look at you and it felt like he could read you and your thoughts right away.

“I’m afraid that Yongguk will use his weapon,” whispered Amber which made you turn around and look at her.

“What weapon?”

You saw her freeze and look angrily up. You followed her gaze and saw Yongguk approaching you.

“Ayo Gina, let’s do the mirror,” he suggested with a teasing look.

“And tha-“

“I want to do it,” you were interrupted by a voice that came from the other direction. When you looked to your left, you saw the enemy guy come up with a serious facial expression.

Yongguk’s face changed from teasing to a look full of hatred. You looked at Amber for an explanation but she seemed as shocked as you. The only thing she could say was:

 

“It’s JB.”