Chapter 2

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 

Your P.O.V

”Mom, where is my bag?!”
 

”I think in the truck, if not, then it’s somewhere outside!” she shouted from the bathroom.
 

“Oh God mom,” you said to yourself and headed outside.
 

This is the third time just this year that you have moved. But this time it was different. You moved from the US back to Korea because your parents found better job offers. Your father is a marketing manager and you mother an engineer, so that’s why you move around a lot. In the beginning, when you were a kid, you hated to move. Leaving all your friends and your bedroom was really hard for you. You cried every time you would move but you don’t care anymore. By the time, you have changed as a person and learned not to care about others, not even your parents. You live in your own little world with your own rules. You haven’t had real friend for a long time and you don’t care if you move from one city to another as long as you have your skateboard.
 

You went out to take your bag in which all your important stuff were. One of the things is your beloved face mask that you got from your cousin Hoya before you moved. You use it every time you skate. It was he who made you start skating. The first time you tried to stand on a skateboard was when you were five years old, and you immediately realized that you love that feeling. You bought your first skateboard when you were seven. You did it secretly with the help from your grandmother, because your parents didn’t like the idea of you skating. They thought that it was too boyish. But as usual, you didn’t care and bought it anyway.
 

After bringing your bag inside and into your new room you threw everything on the bed and put your mask on before taking your skateboard and running out of the house. 

”Bye mom.”
 

“Don’t say you’re going to skate again,” she sounded upset as usual but you didn’t answer and ran out instead.

You jumped on the skateboard and skated away. After hearing rumors everywhere about Seoul's biggest skatepark, you just had to go and see it. Since you don’t have siblings, your cousin Hoya is like an older brother to you and you hanged around much with his friends too. That’s why you hate girly stuff and just sticks to the less girly and more guy-like stuff.

 

You skated all over the city, trying to find the skate park but you failed. It was getting darker, but just because you are a stubborn person, you didn’t gave up and didn’t want to go home until you found the park. So you continued to skate.
 

After some time the street lights went on and that was when you saw all the graffiti colors a bit further away. That must be it.

You skated forward and you were right. There was Seoul’s famous skating park. It was huge and really nice with all the colors and skaters. You skated slowly into the park and looked around just to see lots of people around which made you wonder if it was growded like this every day. Soon, you got the answer to your question when you heard music turn on and someone talk into a microphone about some finale.
 

You jumped off your skateboard and put it under your arm before walking up to the ramp where everyone was standing and looking at two guys. The guys had numbers on their T-Shirts, 13 and 17. Number 13 seemed pretty confident, while 17 was more nervous. For each ramp they drove on, number 17 became more and more nervous but13 was still confident... and hot. He wore a red cap, a white T-Shirt and skinny jeans. You couldn’t stop staring at him and his face. There was this special aura around him and you could immediatelly judge from the whole situation what kind of guy he really is. Pfft, guys like him are always jerks.
 

Number 17 didn’t make it on the second last ramp and number 13 won. Everyone began to whistle and scream so loud that it started to hurt your ears. You couldn’t listen to them anymore and walked out from the crowd to a corner where you sat and watched them instead.

“I guess you are new here,” you heard a voice coming from the side. When you turned your head you saw a blonde short haired girl come closer to you. Although she was a girl, her style was more guy-like.

“Kind of” you took your mask off.

 

”Yeah, the only girl who isn’t happy and screams because of Yongguk’s victory,” she sat next to you.


“Yongguk?” you had no idea what she was talking about.

“Yongguk, the famous skater,” she tried to form a rainbow in the air with her hands. “The one that can kiss my ,” she made another one.

 

You laughed a little and thought that she was a pretty cool girl.

“Amber,” she smiled and held out her hand.
 

“Jin Ah,” you nodded and streched out your hand to shake hers.
 

“So Gina, what are you doing in this city?” she was curious.
 

“It’s Jin Ah, well technically Gina, but here in Korea it’s Jin Ah” you corrected her.
 

“What do you mean here in Korea?” she was a bit confused. “Wait, don’t say. You moved from another country to Korea?” she sounded a bit shocked.
 

“Yes sir.”
 

“Why?”
 

“I blame my parents and their stupid jobs,” you rolled your eyes. “I lived in the US and suddenly they got a better job offer and here we are now. But I don’t care.”
 

“Cool. Now we can talk about others and they can’t understand us,” she said that in English while smiling widely.
 

You were a little shocked by her sudden change in language but shook it off and looked at her. “You can speak English?”
 

“Yes, I was born in the US too,” she nodded,  “We moved to Korea a few years ago because my dad wanted to try to live somewhere else.
 

“Sweet.”
 

Suddenly the music was shut off and someone, who you perceived as the judge, called everyone to one place. They were about to hand out the medals. Amber went up and grabbed you by your shirt to drag you to the audience. You winced and pulled away from her grip.

“I know how to walk,” you said and walked past her while putting your mask back on again.
 

She laughed and walked after you. Amber walked past everyone so you ended up at the front, in the first line. You looked around to see what kind of people there were and just when you looked to your left, your eyes got stuck on this Yongguk hottie guy. He stared back at you. You couldn’t help but look at him from top to toe. He had a great style and was very attractive. When you looked at his face again, he still gazed at you. Oh, so you are that type of guy. You decided to stare back, just to mock with him, and took off your mask too.
 

Your staring competition was interrupted by his friend who pushed him forward because the judges called him. Yongguk received his medal and posed in front the camera. The judge took Yongguk to his side and asked the audience if there was anyone who wanted to show Yongguk that they are better.
 

“And as usually, there isn’t anyone” Amber whispered.
 

“There isn’t?” you asked.
 

“No, no one dares.”
 

You grew curious and the situation bothered you a bit. You didn’t like it that everyone thought that he will always be the best and that everyone liked him, therefore you wanted to teach him a lesson. You put your hand up in the air and saw that Amber was shocked.

“Who said no one dares?” you asked her and the judges called you up.
 

You glanced at him and saw that he was a bit shocked but tried to hide it.
 

“Okay guys, we haven’t had a volunteer since… well a long time ago.” He laughed “...and who are you?” he turned towards you.
 

”The one who’s gonna beat him,” you took a glance at Yongguk and turned towards the judge again.
 

“Oh attitude. We like that,” the judge said to the crowd. ”Now, we should decide what you two are going to do. So, is there anything you want to challenge him in?” he asked you.
 

”Not really. I accept whatever you give me,” you answered confidently.
 

”Okay, so Yongguk is there anything you want to beat her in?” everyone looked at Yongguk who didn’t take his eyes off of you.
 

“Just like the lady said,” he nodded towards you and you just rolled your eyes. What a guy.
 

The judges took out a bowl with pieces of paper in and put his hand in. He took out a small piece of paper and looked at it.

“Sliding” he read.

 

***

 

The two of you stood in the middle and waited for the judges to explain the rules. You saw Amber in the background smiling at you and shaking her head. You just smiled at her and looked to the side where Yongguk was, he acted completely cool.
 

“Do you know who I am?”
 

You did a grimace and looked away. I’ll show you who you are.

The judge began to explain the rules. One of you begins with a slide technique and the other one must do the same thing. If you can handle the slide move, you are the one to do the next slide technique that Yongguk has to do.

Yongguk started with a dark slide. which means skating and than sliding on a ledge. While jumping up to the ledge, you have to turn your skateboard so your wheels are showing upwards. When you slide through the ledge and are about to land, you turn the skateboard again.

He succeeded very well. But you weren’t nervous. You’ve already done this several times. You jumped on your skateboard, put on your mask and began to skate around. When you approached the edge, you jumped up, turned your skateboard, glided through it, jumped again and landed nicely on the ground.
 

Everyone started to applaud and was impressed. You skated up to the judges where Yongguk was and just grinned at him.
 

Now it was your turn to show a slide technique. You decided to do the bert-slide. And that technique goes like this: you skate on a ramp, and just when you are about to skate up to the cope, you have to bend down and put your hand on the floor so you can spin yourself 180 dagrees. When you have done that, you just let yourself roll down the ramp.
 

You did this technique just because not anyone can do it. A good balance is needed. You walked up to the ramp, did the trick and rolled back. Everyone applauded again and you could hear some of Yongguk’s friends panic.

“Hyung, can you really do that?” said the tallest one.

“You don’t believe in me?” he hit the guy.

“You idiot, of course he can,” said another guy who looked like an ulzzang.

“Himchan, I don’t need your compliments,” and with that, Yongguk took his skateboard and went to the ramp.

He jumped on his skateboard and looked pretty confident. He started to skate up and down. You saw that he was preparing to bend down and touch the floor with his hand. Just then, he lost his balance and fell on the ground, while his skateboard rolled up and back down right into his back.

The crowd went crazy. Some laughed, some were shocked and some girls even cried. You could hear them call you and stuff but you couldn't care less. Yongguk went up and looked quite angry.

 

 

Yongguk’s P.O.V

I can’t believe what just happened. What the hell happened with my arm? It started shaking and everything went wrong. How could she? Who is she? A hot girl who actually can skate. I haven’t seen that before.
 

Slowly I picked my skateboard up and walked off to ramp and towards the judges. The audience, just like me, still couldn’t believe that what happened actually happened. The judge called us up again to hear our comments.

I went back and saw her standing there with Amber, a girl from my school. She looked at me and I could feel that she was enjoying this moment. I couldn’t show her that I was angry and instead I smiled. To show that I wasn't a bad loser, I walked up to her and held my hand out. 

“Nice one. For being a girl like you, you are actually a good skater.”
 

She looked at me and down at my hand. 

“Wish I could say the same” she said and turned around to go.
 

Did this just happen?

No girl has ever refused me. Especially not in this way. I couldn't let her walk away just like that. No one does this to Yongguk the skater. Daehyun and Youngjae noticed that I was getting angrier and ran up to me and grabbed my shoulder to pull me away. I pulled away from their grasp and took a step forward.

 

“I want a rematch!”