Chapter 23

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 




***




Yongguk’s P.O.V

”You really like getting into trouble Yongguk, don’t you?” asked one of the cops after they took me to the side. I recognized him from before when I and Himchan skated once in the middle of the night on the handrails in front of the national museum. They busted us and after spending half of the night in the police station, they drove us home where my mother almost got a heart attack.

To be quite honest, I didn’t want them to take me home again even though I said that I didn’t care. Although the expression on Jin Ah’s face after I said that, made everything worth it, I still needed to take us out of here in the safest way possible.

“You do know why we are here?” asked the other one but I just looked at them in silence. “Illegal invasion and disturbances in the neighborhood,” he answered for me and wrote something down on his pad.

“Listen..” I started off earning both cops’ attention, “This was my entire fault. She is new in town, heck she is new in this country and don’t know what is allowed to do and what not.”

“But you knew,” said the familiar one without hesitation.

I looked back at Jin Ah and she was literally horrified. She didn’t move an inch from her original place and just waited for me to come back and save her. She was helpless.

“Yes I knew, but I still did it…” I lowered my head in an attempt to come up with a very good and touching excuse, “Officers, have you ever been in love?” I gave them the saddest look I could which took them of guard.

They exchanged looks before turning to me again without saying a word, waiting for me to continue.

“Being in love and trying to impress on her by doing crazy things. Things that are not allowed but hey, that’s why there is the saying ‘stupid in love’ right?”

“Bang Yongguk..”

“Please officer, I know this isn’t an excuse but I couldn’t help it. I made a mistake and I won’t do it again. Please,” I said in the calmest voice I've ever had. These are some of the nicest words I said in a long time but they were needed. To save myself from trouble, I had to act like a little , and that is the best way to describe myself right now. A little .

The other cop I didn’t recognize shook his head while the other one I knew from before looked around the backyard. I was clearly getting at him.

“No mercy. We will take both you and your lit-“

“Wait,” he interrupted him and looked at me after avoiding my eyes, “How many people was here?”

“Just the two of us!”

“Really? So the two of you managed to disturb the whole neighborhood?” asked the other one while arching one eyebrow.

“I said I’m sorry! We had some fun and now the day will be ruined if you take us.”

“I said no mercy.”

This one was a hard one so I tried my luck on the other one that I had to deal with a couple of month ago. “Please..” I said through my teeth.

He took a deep breath before looking at Jin Ah and then back at me again. “I can get fired for this and lose my job forever, but I warn you Yongguk; One more time and you’ll have to pay some penalty and we will call your mother. In worst case, we need to take care of you and get some professional help.”

Both I and the other cop widened our eyes at the words that came out of his mouth but he just mentioned to me to go back to Jin Ah and go.

“Get out of here and bring that poor girl home,” he said and started walking towards the car.

“What the hell? Taekwon what is wrong with you?” the other one ran after him in protest and I took this as a chance to go back to Jin Ah in determined steps and a serious face.

To put some more drama into this scenario, I walked up to her and took her hand before walking out of the backyard. She didn’t protest because she was still under shock and I pretty much enjoyed this. A couple of minutes later I let go of her hand coolly and continued on walking.

“What the hell happened?” she blurred out with concern in her voice.

I secretly smiled to myself.



“Gukkie, breakfast is ready,” my mother interrupted my train of thoughts that were on yesterday's events.

“Alright, I’m coming mom,” I weakly smiled at her and she smiled back before closing the door of my room.

“So far so good,” I said to myself while looking through the window and across the street where Jin Ah’s room was located.

 


 

***




Your P.O.V

“The list is on the fridge, so don’t forget,” said your mother after explaining to you today’s plans and what you had to do.

“Okay mom I got it,” you sleepily walked over to the fridge and took a look at the grocery list. “Why this all of sudden?” you asked her, questioning the clean house, the grocery list, and your stressed mother.

She just smiled at you and walked out to the hall to put on her shoes. “I’ll be going now, I have a meeting. But I’ll see you later.”

“Okay, bye.”

And with that she left the house and drove out of your garden. You woke you up just minutes ago so you were still tired as hell and walked back to your dark room to continue on sleeping. Just as you lay on your bed, your phone started ringing, making you groan before you picked it up. You sighed after seeing who the caller was. JB.

“Hello?” you answered.

Hey…” he started off, “What’s up?”

“Trying to sleep,” you said while rubbing your eyes, “JB… if you’re calling just to apologize for the hundredth time, then I’ll hang up,” you threatened.

After what happened yesterday and you and Yongguk met the others again, JB couldn’t stop apologizing to you for not being the one to help you. He told you that he was on his way but Yongguk was faster and pushed him out of the way. This was something he didn’t need to tell you because you witnessed that scene and understood him completely so you weren’t even mad but JB found a hard time believing you.

“Okay, one last time then. I’m sorry,” he said and chuckled, “That doesn’t mean I feel better!”

“Well, that’s your problem then I guess,” you said as matter of fact. Just then you realized that you couldn’t get any more sleep so you stood up and walked to the kitchen.

“Let me at least make it up to you?”

“Why? And how?” you took out yesterday’s leftovers from the oven and placed them on the dining table before digging in.

“Why? To make me feel better. How? Hmm..” it was silent for a couple of seconds before he spoke again. “I can finish designing your skateboard!”

You smiled to yourself and shook your head, “Not by yourself.”

“Meet me up at JR’s then so we can do it together.”

“But I’m kind of busy today,” you looked over at the grocery list on the fridge. “I have to go to the grocery shop and buy some stuff.”

Come over when you’re done. It won’t take so much time to finish the design. We are almost done.”  

“I’ll see.”

“Oh come on… Please!”

You looked around in the house and noticed that everything was cleaned but your mother still said to you to be here when she is back. You took a deep breath before speaking. “One hour…” that’s what you could offer.

“More than enough.”

“Okay, see you later then.”

Bye!”

After finishing your breakfast and changing into some comfortable clothes. You took the money and the list your mother left and skated out of your house towards the grocery shop. It was a typical nice summer day and although it was a workday, there were still a lot of people in town. You skated through the crowd that was everywhere and after arriving at the shop, you ran into it to buy the things as fast as you could. Save time was everything you were thinking of.

With two full bags of stuff your mother needed, you slowly skated in the direction of JR’s shop to meet up with JB. The two of them were inside of the shop, just lazing around and talking to JR’s father. When JB saw you skating up through the huge window he ran out to take the bags from you and bring them inside. You slowly walked into the shop and bowed to JR’s father who just smiled to you pointed to your skateboard.

“I like it,” he said and picked the skateboard up, “You should design some more. I like your creativity!”

You just smiled because you weren’t really comfortable to talk to him. “Thank you.”

He nodded and turned towards JR. “I’ll be going now, if Gyuri comes home earlier tell her to call me,” he said and walked out of the shop. “Bye!”

“Gyuri this, Gyuri that,” mumbled JR under his breath. You could clearly see that he was annoyed by his older sister and the attention she gets all the time. “Not that I don’t enjoy being here, but she can work sometimes too. The only thing that girl has on her mind is money and guys.”

You were just silent because you understood him. When someone is mad you should just be silent for the time the person speak their heart out. You looked at JB who just shrugged.

“Oh well, the two of you should finish the skateboard, I’ll go over and sort the kneepads in the box,” he said and went over to a huge box laying in the middle of the shop.

“What is going on?” you whispered to JB.

“I don’t know. He hates when his father only talks about Gyuri. He kind of favorites her.”

“Poor thing,” you felt sorry for him for having a sister like Gyuri.

“But hey, the time is ticking. Let’s finish this!”

You just nodded and the two of you started off.

 


 

***




Exactly one hour later, the two of you finished the design and you had to head back home to atleast leave the bags.

“Thank you,” you said to JB as you placed the bags on one skateboard as you prepared the other one to skate on.

“That… is dangerous,” he pointed to ground.

“No worries,” you winked. “I’ll see you… soon?”

“Of course!” he walked up to you and hugged you, which took you of guard but you hugged him back. The hug was a bit longer than it usual is and JB held you really tightly. You just looked awkwardly around because you actually don’t know what to do in situations like this. When JB finally broke the hug he looked straight into your eyes which gave you a weird feeling. “I’m feeling better now,” he smiled and patted you on your head “Skate safely.”

You just nodded and tried to forget this awkward feeling you had “I said no worries!”

Both of you laughed and you headed home. The ride home was more difficult than you expected because it was hard cooperating with two skateboards at the same time. You skated like that a couple of blocks but realized that this wouldn't work so you jumped off of your skateboard and placed it under your arm while slightly pushing the other skateboard with your foot.

“Jin Ah baby!” your head turned towards the direction that very familiar voice came from. The voice that belonged to that one person you had a hard time understanding.

Yongguk had a pair of sunglasses on that matched his black OBEY shirt. A pair of skinny jeans and sneakers made him look even hotter. After what happened yesterday you didn’t have a proper conversation with him, nor did you thank him for what he did. He walked up to you while holding a watermelon and eyed you from top to toe, including your two skateboards.

“One isn’t enough?” he teased.

“No,” you simply answered and continued on pushing your skateboard.

“I know! You like danger.”

“No,” you repeated your previous answer.

“Aish, give me that,” he stopped you and took the two bags that were on your skateboard. “You can carry the skateboards.”

He walked ahead and you were just standing in one place in shock. What gave him permission to take your bags just like that? After realizing that you weren’t beside him, he turned around and looked at you confused.

“What are you waiting for?”

“You didn’t even ask if I’m going home or not?” you walked up to him.

“I already know,” he raised an eyebrow.

“Really? And what if you don’t.”

“Well I do. Your mother is over at my place, you besserwisser,” he smirked and continued on walking.

You made a wtf-face but had no other choice than to follow him. The two of you walked in silence because you didn’t have anything to say to him, except a thank you, but even that you were debating with yourself if you should say or not.

“Seriously, why did you take two skateboards with you?” he asked out of nowhere while looking to the front.

You looked at his side profile which was pure perfection. His perfect shaped nose, followed by his fully plump lips made you start imagining things you didn’t want to. His black shirt, which had a somewhat low cut, exposed the iest collarbones you have seen in your life. All you could think about was bite that part over and over again.

When you caught yourself in your imaginations, you shook your head and looked to the front again before answering Yongguk’s question.
“I was over at JR’s and took my other skateboard.”

“Why was it there in the first place?”

“I and JB had some… unfinished business,” you didn’t want to give him a clear answer just to mock with him.

At that he turned his head towards you and eyed you. “Unfinished business?”

A nod was everything he got as an answer and he didn’t bother to ask anything else. When you arrived at Yongguk’s home, Ms Kwon greeted you and told Yongguk to leave the watermelon and your bags in the kitchen. You walked to the living room where your mother was drinking coffee and chatting with Yongguk’s mother.

“Mom, when did you come back?” you gave her a confused look.

“The meeting was the only thing I had today, and it got cancelled,” she explained. “But we will go home soon. Let me just finish my coffee.”

You rolled your eyes and looked awkwardly around in the room.

“You’re not going anywhere until you eat some watermelon Yongguk just bought,” insisted Ms. Kwon, “Jin Ah can you go and see if he is done preparing?”

You cursed your mother for being here and subject you to this situation again. Last time this happened hadn’t such a great ending. You didn’t want to be rude so you just nodded and walked to the kitchen. In there was Yongguk who was slicing the watermelon into small pieces. You took a seat on one of the chairs and just looked at him and his muscular arms.

“Your mom wonders if you are done yet,” you said after a while.

He just looked at you once before taking a huge plate and placing some of the pieces on. “Want some too?” he asked coldly, totally different tone in voice than from before.

“No, thanks.”

“Your loss,” he said and carried the plate over to the living room. Seconds later he returned to the kitchen and started cleaning the mess he left behind him. He didn’t say a word and you didn’t mind yourself. You watched his every movement and expressionless face.

Should I thank him for yesterday?

That question popped suddenly into your mind. He did save you from trouble that could make your parents go insane, and that is something huge. You bit down on your lower lip before looking at him again.

“I don’t know what you said or how you did it…” you stopped talking, waiting for him to look at you but he refused. You decided to still go on and get this out of you, whether he listened or not. “…but thanks I guess. If it weren't for you, I would be grounded for the rest of my life now.”

He stopped in his track to look at you once, but you didn’t show any emotions so he continued on what he was doing. You just shrugged because you didn’t care anymore; you let it out and could breathe again. When he was done with the dishes he took a piece of watermelon to himself and leaned on the kitchen sink.

“No reward?” he asked out of nowhere.

"What?"

"Shouldn't I get a reward for saving you?" he asked in a teasing voice.

You eyebrows automatically connected after what he asked. Is he playing some kind of mood-game with me?
His temperament changed from one to another in just minutes. He was worse than a girl on her period. You just rolled your eyes at him and just then you heard your mother call after you.

“Let’s go home! I need to prepare dinner,” she explained.

You didn’t wait a second and just followed your mother out with your bags. You didn’t look back at Yongguk as you left because that guy gave you headache whenever you were thinking about him.

When your mother and you arrived home, she automatically began making dinner for more than three people. She was in good mood all day long and you wanted to know what was going on.

“Are we expecting guests?” you asked as you watched her quick hands work over the kitchen table with all the different dishes.

“Maybe.”

“Who?”

“You’ll see!”

“When is dad coming home?” you asked instead.

“Soon.”

You got tired of your mother’s short answers and went to the living room to watch some TV instead. One and a half hour later you heard the doorbell ringing. You waited for your mother to go and open it but she clearly didn’t hear it. You groaned and walked to the front door. When you opened the front door you were greeted by two smiling faces. Your father and…

“Hoya?!”

“How is my little baby Gin doing?” he asked in that typical American Hoya voice.

You smiled like an idiot and crashed into him, hugging your cousin as hard as you could.