Chapter 18

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 

***



”You’re lying.”

No, I swear to God. I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears,” explained Amber through the phone.

You woke up around noon although you slept really late, or early, yesterday. The sun was the reason you woke up. Every night, you’ll pull down the window blinds to prevent the sunshine to come through the windows and wake you up. You hated that and could only sleep in the dark, but yesterday you were quite confused from the events so you totally forgot the window blinds.

Amber called you after you woke up and told you that she and Luna met Himchan yesterday when you were at home. They were in the park, hanging out and skating, when Himchan and his friends came up to the two of them and started a normal conversation. Amber ignored them at first and let Luna take care of the talking and communicating in general but after a while, Himchan kept asking Amber stuff and bringing her into the conversation.

As if that wasn’t enough, he began suggesting things they could do together so they would hang out more. Not jut him, but the rest too, were really into this and they weren’t the guys Amber and Luna were used to know. Amber pretty much told you everything that happened yesterday.

So we are going surfing with them in the afternoon,” she sighed.

“Already?!” you half shouted. “How the hell did you, Amber Liu, agree on that?”

I… I don’t know. They seem.. to be nice after all. We should give them a chance.”

“Is Yongguk coming?” you looked at the yellow note on your night table.

I don’t know. He wasn’t there when we talked,” she answered. You were silent for a minute before she spoke again. “But I don’t think so, Himchan should know better than that. I actually don’t want Yongguk to come with us.”

“Yeah…Well, if he isn’t coming, then I am,” you informed. To be quite honest, you didn’t know what to feel at the moment. Everything you know is that something isn’t right with Yongguk. His change in behaviour towards you made you suspect stuff.

“Good! Now, pack your stuff and we will meet up in an hour!”

“Sure,” you were about to hang up but then a thought hit you. “Wait, Amber!”

“What?”

“I… I have never… surfed before,” you whispered the last part in shame. You heard her chuckle on the other line before speaking again.

“Oh my,” she started laughing, “aren’t you too cute sometimes?

“Amber seriously now!” you didn’t like the way she spoke to you; it made you feel tiny and dumb. “What do I need to bring with me?”

“I’ll text you the list of things. And about the surfing… Yeah, someone will teach you,” you heard her chuckle again before you rolled your eyes and hung up on her.

You sighed deeply and glanced over to the note one last time. You left it on the night table and didn’t pick it up ever since you left it there. But you couldn’t help but stare at it. What is going on?

You stood up from your bed and walked out from your room, just in time, you received Amber’s message with the list of stuff you needed and you didn’t wait a minute longer. You ran around in the house, gathering all the things before your parents came home because you didn’t want them to question you about everything you do.

After a good half an hour of packing, you were done. You took your cap and put it on your head loosely before walking to your bed and taking your backpack that you put on your back. It was hanging on your back and it came all the way down to your . With only a pair of shorts, a white wife beater that you bought in the guys’ section in your favourite store, your cap and a backpack, you walked out of your room and towards the hall.

The sneakers you wore during the last competition had still blood on so you didn’t want to use them. Instead you mentally reminded yourself to clean them later on and decided to wear a pair of regular converse. After knotting the shoes and bringing everything you wore on place, you took a last glance at the mirror beside you. Suddenly you caught sight of some cash, lying on the cabinet under the mirror. You smiled to yourself and took the money that you put into a little pocket on your backpack.

All happy and satisfied you opened the door and walked out of the house just to be greeted by your mother who locked the car with her high tech key and walked towards the door. She caught sight of you and froze in her spot.

“And where are you going, young lady?” she raised her eyebrow.

“Out,” you said and half ran past her.

Unfortunately, you weren’t fast enough and your mother took hold of you by your left arm. She held you and dragged you so you were facing her again.

“No,” she released her grip on you and pointed towards the house.

“But mom!” you stomped with one foot like a little child. “Why?! I was at home all day yesterday! Now I’m free.”

“No, you’re not. I never said how long you were grounded. And one day is definitely not enough,” she explained something you never agreed on.

“What?! That wasn’t the plan mom!” you shouted at her in English.

“Yes, it was. You should start using your ears more. Now, in,” she pointed to the house again.

“This can’t be true.”




Yongguk’s P.O.V


“You what?!” I jumped up and slammed both of my hands on the table in front of five very scared idiots. “Have you ever heard about pride? Have you?! No wait, have you ever heard about friendship? Not letting your buddies down for some random girls?!”

“Hyung, calm down,” whispered Zelo beside me. I threw him a death glare and he looked immediately away.

“This is bull,” I spat out and sat down again. “I understand the two of you,” I pointed towards Zelo and Daehyun, “but you?!” I pointed towards the rest of them. “The hell is wrong with you?!”

“You should ask that question yourself,” said Himchan coldly. “You have gone insane, man.”

“Says the one that suddenly wants to become friends with my, no our, enemy?!”

This was getting out of hand. I met up with the boys at the skatepark, after they woke me up with a call, and was just hanging there, enjoying the sun. The joy didn’t last very long because the morons told me what they have been doing this couple of days. They told me everything from the first day they went over to Jin Ah during the competition, to yesterday’s conversation with Luna and Amber. And I didn’t like it at all.

“It’s not just JB and JR, but the girls too you know,” Himchan tried to explain.

“Do you think I care about who it is? Do you Himchan?!” I started shouting at him. I was really pissed at him because this is the first time he actually is defending someone else.

Suddenly, his face turned from calm to pissed, as well. “Oh come on now, who are you ing with Yongguk? You, out of all the people here, wants to get closer to Jin Ah!”

 I widened my eyes at his statement because it was true, but now, everything was about pride. I couldn’t give up yet.

“Hi oppa!” the six of us turned our heads towards the direction the squeaky voice came from. It was Gyuri. I rolled my eyes at the sight of her and turned towards Himchan again.

All about pride.

“Yes, yes I want her. But I hope from the bottom of my heart that you already know how I want her!”

Gyuri widened her eyes and sat beside me on the bench. She didn’t say a thing after she realized that no one was in a good mood. Everyone around the table was silent and awkwardly followed the fight between me and Himchan.

 “Heck I know, you desperate idiot! And let me tell you something, you are failing. Failing big times! You haven’t made any progress these couple of weeks. Just give up!”

The boys widened their eyes and looked at Gyuri. We were having a conversation we shouldn’t have in front of her but I couldn’t care less. The anger inside of me was boiling and I couldn’t keep it inside of me.

“Hyung, it’s enough,” said Jongup.

“You shut up!” I pointed towards him and turned towards Himchan again. “You know nothing. Do you know where I was last night?”

He widened his eyes before whispering a simple “no.”

“Exactly, do you know what I did last night?” I asked again.

“No.”

“That’s what I’m talking about,” I smirked “You don’t know what I’m doing with Jin Ah, and if I say that I’ll get her laid, I will.”

“Oppa…” Gyuri whispered and pulled me slightly on my shirt.

“Guys, let’s end this conversation here,” Youngjae stood up.

“Yeah, time for some surfing!” Daehyun jumped up and tried to bring in some joy in this tensed situation.

“Without me,” I said and pulled away from Gyuri’s grip.

“Oh, come on now hyung!” wined Zelo.

“No, have fun with your new friends,” I said and turned around. “And by the way,” I turned towards Himchan again, “I don’t think Jin Ah will come. It’s just something I can already sense,” I winked and skated out of the skate park.

Right now, everything and everyone, were getting on my nerves. The whole world has lost their mind and everyone should go and search for some help. I ruffled my hair with my hands in frustration before skating home.

During the skate home, I received a message from Himchan where he told me that this fight we had was ridiculous and the offer about hanging with them to the beach was still on. I smirked and ignored the text.

While slowly coming closer to my house, my phone started vibrating again. I wanted to ignore it, but the vibration was the one I have when someone is calling me. I arched my eyebrows and picked the phone up before looking at the caller ID. It was an unknown number.

 


                                                       

Your P.O.V

You needed to get out of here before you go crazy. It was in the middle of the summer, the weather was really nice and sitting in your house, doing literally nothing, was killing you slowly but surely. You were standing by your window, after you ran into your room in anger and locked the door, and tried to come up with a plan on how to trick your mother on letting you go out. She was sitting outside the house, relaxing on the lounge chair and reading some newspapers, so sneaking out was impossible because you would get busted after the first step you take.

You needed a better plan. Think Jin Ah, think!
Everything you came up with, your mother would turn down it in a second and your arguments would be invalid. You started to get impatient and needed a solution right now. You were still looking through the window and spotted a familiar figure skating towards the house on the other side. It was Yongguk.

You looked at him, then remembered the note from yesterday and looked towards the night table. You glanced back and forth before an idea popped up into your mind. Let’s use him.
You smiled to yourself and ran over to the night table before picking up the note and entering the numbers.

You put the phone on your ear and it started ringing. You ran back to the window and saw Yongguk clearly ignoring the call.

“Come on, come on, come on,” you whispered to yourself while watching him skate up to his house. After a couple of seconds, he finally decided to answer the phone. He picked it up, stared at the screen before bringing the phone to his ear.

“Hello?” he answered coldly.

“Ehm..” you started off but all the words that you have ever learned, disappeared from your brain.

“Oh, what’s up Jin Ah baby?” he asked in a teasing tone after he recognized your voice and you could see his smirk from the window.

You put your phone away from your ear and stared at it again. You could feel the regret build up inside of you. You took a deep breath before going back to the call.

“Missed me already?” he asked before you could say something.

“I need help,” you began. “Now.”

“Really?” he smiled.

“Yes.”

What do I get from this? You?”

“Oh my God, no. Just come over here to my house, I need to get out of here. I'm grounded and it's driving me crazy.”

Aish, my babe is grounded,” he talked in a way that children talk in. “Only on one condition,” he changed his voice to his usual dark and husky voice.

You rolled your eyes and this little game of his started to annoy you. The events from last night are really something to never even think about.

“You know what, forget it. Bye,” you didn’t wait for him to answer and hung up on him. 

This is one more thing that reminded you not to take help from anyone. You crumpled the piece of paper in your hand and threw it in the trash before picking up your stuff and heading out. You’ll have to deal with this on your own.

You opened the front door and went out, which caught your mother’s attention. You looked at her and gave her a slight nod before walking past her.

“Jin Ah, come back,” she said calmly.

“Bye, mom!”

“If you want somewhere to sleep tonight, you better come back right now,” she said and stood up.

You stopped in your track and closed your eyes. She is serious. Once she says something like that, she will make sure to hold to her words.

“Oh, god afternoon Mrs. Lee,” you heard a familiar dark voice talk in a formal way.

You opened your eyes and saw Yongguk coming towards you with the most angelic smile you’ve seen. He looked at you and back at your mother again.

“Hello Yongguk,” your mother’s voice changed from a serious and harsh to a nice and welcoming voice.

“Is it okay if I borrow Jin Ah a little bit?” he stood right beside you and hugged your shoulders with one arm. “My mother needs some help in town and I can’t do it on my own. Besides, Jin Ah if very good with carrying bags,” he smiled to you.

You widened your eyes and realized that he was actually helping you. You nodded at her and waited for her answer.

“Really? Can I help with something?” she offered instead.

“No, no! It’s okay. Jin Ah and I can do it,” he waved with his other hand.

“Alright,” she turned her attention to you and you saw that she was hesitating but in the end she let out a simple, “Okay. But be back soon.”

You nodded and turned to Yongguk. He was still smiling and bowed to your mother.

“Thank you Mrs. Lee,” he said and while still hugging your shoulders, he turned the both of you and headed out of your garden.

“Jin Ah why don’t you leave your things at home?” you heard your mother in the background, but you just waved with your hand while your back was facing her.

A couple of metres later you looked at Yongguk who was still holding you.

“You can let go off of me,” you said coldly.

“Is that a ‘thank you’ for the help?” he widened his eyes and brought you even closer to him.

“Thank you,” you pulled away from his grip. “Now if you excuse me.”

“Where are you going anyway?” he asked.

After realizing that he wasn’t really dressed for the beach you could easily tell him were you were going. “Surfing,” was the only thing you said before walking away.

A few steps later, you didn’t hear anyone following you and you smiled in success. You managed to come out of the house and Yongguk didn’t bother you. You looked up to the beautiful cloudless sky and smiled wider. God is with me today.

“No surfing without me,” Yongguk ran up to you and took hold of your hand before dragging you to the meeting place. The skate park.

Or not.