Chapter 16

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 

Dissapointed. Angry. Sad. Hurt. Literally hurt. All these things together did affect you in a strong and tough way which your head couldn’t handle. Your head started aching and that wasn’t anything new because it does it all the time, but this time it was the stress and the pressure together that made it worse than usually. The audience around you talked about you, some people shouted after you and some actually laughed. The latter one, you assumed, was some of the guys who were on Yongguk’s side.

Everything right in that moment went in slow motion. All the voiced and laughter were some octaves lower while the things you saw were spinning and dancing like crazy. To prevent you from feeling even worse, you held your head with both your hands even tighter and closed your eyes.

Bang Yongguk. That name spun in your mind and made you shiver. You didn’t even want to think of what was about to happen next.

“Jin Ah!” suddenly your mind came back to reality and the once low and slow voices turned into a really high shouting crowd. “Jin Ah, are you okay?!” you recognized JB’s voice and heard him slid down the ramp.

You felt a pair of strong hands gripping your shoulders and shake you slightly.

“Come on, baby,” said another voice, totally different from the calm and comforting voice of JB. It was that dark and husky voice which you couldn’t ignore how much you even wanted.

You opened your eyes after hearing Yongguk’s voice instead of JB’s. He was standing in front of you while bending down and holding you. Apparently, he slid down the ramp before JB and approached you. JB was standing beside you, looking concerned but he didn’t want to argue with Yongguk so he let him be for now.

You looked back at Yongguk but couldn’t really read his face because it was expressionless. He looked into your eyes, changing focus from one eye to the other. You were like that for a whole minute and drowned into his beautiful and shiny eyes. All of sudden you felt an unfamiliar feeling when it ca
me to Yongguk. You felt safe and didn’t bother a second from his grip on your shoulders.


I’m calling the last two finalists back to the ramp, please,” spoke the judge, interrupting your and Yongguk’s moment.

From hearing the judge calling on him, Yongguk shook his head and went back to a standing position. His expression changed from expressionless to a teasing one. It was the typical Yongguk face. He stretched out his hand to you.

“Come on, let me help you..” he said while looking around. You hesitated at first but then, your head really ached so you had no choice. You took his hand but didn’t look into his eyes this time, “…so I can end this competition,” he finished his sentence coldly. At that you looked at him with a wtf-expression.

“One out, one to go,” he smirked.

From his words, you regret everything. You pulled away from his grip and mentally spat at him. You were a person with pride, but everything he does or says allows him to tramp on it and you didn’t like that at all. He is a jerk, an idiot and an .

“I hope you die a painful death, and this comes from my heart,” you said and took a step away from him.

“Aish, now we are a bad loser too, aren’t we?” he spoke in the same way a person spoke to a little child.

You made a grimace at him and turned around but didn’t make it so far because you felt a really strong pain in your right leg. It stung really badly and that made you loose balance. Luckily, JB was standing right beside you and caught you right in time. You held him by his collar and your faces have never been so close. While holding him onto his t-shirt, you straightened and took a look at him.

“You have to win this competition,” you whispered to him.

He widened his eyes and looked at Yongguk before turning his attention back to you again, “I don’t think I can do that right now. Especially not when you are in this condition.”

“What condition?!” you half shouted, “Just win this competition, Goddammit Jaebum!” you shook him.

“Alright, alright. I will try!” he shouted nervously.

“You better do,” you said and released your grip on him.

You took a step forward and felt JB’s grip on your right arm. You glanced to the side and saw his worried face.

“Let me help you down,” he offered gently.

“Go back to the competition and win this damn thing,” you said through your teeth instead.

He let go off you and you slowly walked over to the edge where JR and Amber were waiting for you to help you down. They walked you over to the bench you were sitting at earlier.

“Oh my God, Jin Ah! Look at your right leg!” Luna panicked as the three of you approached the bench.

And finally, after all this time, you took a look at your leg for the first time after the crash. There was some blood that came out through your black jeans and dripped down to your black sneakers. You could tell there was blood on your shoe because the once golden part of the shoe was now dark red.

“Okay, now guys give me a round of applaud for the last and decisive part of this event,” you started to feel irritated by the judge’s voice. In fact, you thought that everything was annoying right now.
“Shoot! I need to see this. Amber, take care of Jin Ah,” JR let go off you and ran back to the ramp.

“Wait for me!” Jongup shouted after JR and ran away.

“I don’t want to miss this either. It’s still our leader we are talking about. I’ll be right back,” informed Youngjae and joined the others.

Amber placed you on the bench and sat down on the ground to take a look at your leg.

“Does it hurt?” asked Himchan carefully.

You turned towards him while still having your pissed off face. He flinched at the sight and you felt a bit sorry for him. It wasn’t him you were angry at, but his little friend. And yourself. And your damn phobia. In the end, you didn’t even know who or what you were angry at the most.

“A little bit, but that’s okay,” you stated in a calm voice.

“Can you take off your pants?” asked Amber out of nowhere, “They are really tight and I can’t take a proper look at your leg.”

“That does make sense Amber. Me taking of my pants right now,” you said and pushed her head slightly.

“How am I supposed to see it then?” she crossed her arms.

“I’ll do it at home. It’s not like I’m going to die if this waits.”

“You have to be kidding with me?”

“Nope.”

“You’re crazy,” commented a shocked Luna.

You just shook your head and turned your attention to the last two finalists.

 

 

***



And as awaited, Yongguk and JB skated like never before. They were so into it that after some time, they stopped looking into your direction. You could tell that JB really listened to your words and was giving everything to win this competition. He had to. If he didn’t do that, than you didn’t want to be near Yongguk anymore.

“Who do you think will win?” asked Himchan while following the guys with his eyes.

“JB,” you stated while looking into the same direction.

“What makes you think that?” he asked curiously.

“He has to,” you said instead of answering Himchan’s question.

“Good point,” he joked, earning a glare from you.

“This event has never lasted so long,” informed Amber.

It was really dark outside, the spotlights were the only source of light but it was a nice view with all the graffiti and its beautiful bright colors. You took a look at Luna’s watch and it read 11 pm. The tension grew and everyone expected an end soon.

After a couple of more ramps, Yongguk and JB were on the second last ramp. And heck was it high. JB was the first one to go. He started off simply and his speed increased. He skated down the ramp and up again to the other side. He turned his skateboard and skated back to the starting position. The crowd shouted and applauded.

Yongguk was the next one and he finally glanced over to you so the two of you locked eyes. You hated the fact that he was so attractive and that he could get every girl he wanted with the look he gave you right now. You had to admit, it would have worked on you too only if he wasn’t the person he was. An idiot.

Suddenly an idea popped up into your mind. You should shock him by doing something unexpected so he loses his concentration and with that, lose the competition. You didn’t wait too long and took the initiative while he still had his attention on you. You smiled the sweetest smile you had and made thumbs up. And as awaited, he widened his eyes and couldn’t believe them. He looked at JB and back at you after realising that this gesture was for him. He shook his head and turned back to the competition. You smiled in success.

Yongguk bowed and started off. He rolled down the ramp and while skating up, he quickly looked towards your direction where you put on a smile again. He got distracted by that and just as he was on his was to the edge to turn around, he missed the cope and with that, he missed control over his skateboard. The skateboard disappeared from underneath him and he slid down the ramp.

The crowd shouted out of shock. The town’s skater lost a competition. The girls cried out loud while the guys shouted at Yongguk for being unwary.

“Oh my god! He lost!” Luna jumped up.

“The just happened?” asked a pretty shocked Amber.

“He lost,” whispered Himchan in disbelief.

“Told ya’,” you smiled to yourself.


Number 3 is out which makes number 2 the winner!” announced the judge.

JB took hold of his skateboard and put it in the air while screaming in victory. Yongguk on the other hand took his cap and threw it on the ground.

“You would have won the bet if there was one,” said Himchan while slightly pushing you with his elbow.

“That’s right,” you smiled again.

Now, both you and Yongguk lost and you felt relieved. In his pretty little face.   



 

***



The next morning, you woke up from the pain that came from your right leg. When JB, JR and Amber brought you home, you were so tired that you didn’t bother to look up the injury and just laid on your bed and fell asleep. You remember yesterday’s events and sighed deeply. Then you remembered Amber’s, JR’s and JB’s face after realizing that you live across the street from Yongguk.

“I feel sorry for you,” was the only thing Amber said while JB just shook his head, clearly not liking the fact of you being his enemy’s neighbor. JR on the other hand couldn’t stop laughing at the coincidence.

You ran your hand through your hair and stood up. It was Sunday morning, which meant that both your parents were home. .
You didn’t want to think of their reaction after seeing your leg. You walked over to your closet and took out a pair of sweatpants. You took off your black jeans and threw a glance at your leg. The injury wasn’t so deep, you just scratched away a little bit more skin, hence the blood that ran down your leg. Other than that, there was a big bruise. You poked the bruise out of curiosity and flinched from the pain.

You switched the black jeans with your sweatpants and headed out of the room. You smelled the scent of breakfast coming from the kitchen. You closed your eyes, took a deep breath and headed to the room where the two persons you didn’t want to see right now, were. But you had to. Someone had to help you with your leg because you obviously didn’t know how to take care of it.  

“Good morning sweetheart,” said your father while drinking his morning coffee and looking through something on his phone.

“Morning.”

“Hungry?” asked your mother and you just nodded, “Wait. Why are you walking like that?” she asked and approached you.

“I… I fell off of a ramp.”

“You what?!” she shouted which made your father turn his attention to the two of you, “I knew this would happen one day!” she threw the towel she was holding onto the floor.

“But-“

“No buts Jin Ah!” she interrupted you.

And here we go again..

A long lecture was waiting for you, as usual.