Chapter 14

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark

 


CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR BOYS FOR WINNING THE
MELON MUSIC'S BEST NEW ARTIST AWARD! 


SO PROUD OF MY BABIES 


To celebrate that AND me reaching 600 subbies, here comes a double, I repeat, double update! :)

 

 


 



***

 


”Here, let me help you,” JB offered and took the sticker with your number on, which you were struggling with. You couldn’t take the sticker apart from the cover because you didn’t have long nails so it was a really hard time dealing with the sticker.
“Were do you want me to put it on?”

You looked at him and then at his number, which was in the front.
“Actually, I want it on my back,” you smiled and turned around.

You heard JB laugh through his nose before slowly brushing away your long hair from your back to the side. He then gently the sticker on your back,“And done.”

Just as he said that, you turned around and the nearness of him caught you of guard. He was literally right in front of you and you had to look up to see his face. You weren’t the only one who was shocked of the nearness. JB’s face was blank and he looked straight into your eyes, switching focus from one eye to the other.

“Ayo guys, are you done?!” you heard JR call the two of you from afar.

You shook your head and mind back to reality and took one step back before smiling nervously.
“Ehm, yeah. Let’s go,” you patted JB on his shoulder before skating away towards Amber, JR and Luna. What the hell did just happen?

“Come on guys, we have to join the other participants,” Amber waved you over.

Just as she said that, the music started and all the participants skated over to the biggest ramp in the park. It was there, where the first part of this competition would start. The first part, as usual, was all about free styling. Just doing some basic moves in a unique way.

“Good luck guys!” Luna stayed behind, sitting on a bench because she wouldn’t participate today.

The four of you skated over to the rest of the participants and waited for the judge to call it on. You scanned briefly around and you saw Yongguk and his gang join the group of participants just in time. They had numbers three to eight, which meant that they were the first one to register for the event, beside JB and JR.  

“Hey, when and how did they register for this?” you turned to the closest person, which was JR.

JR looked towards the direction you nodded to and spoke to you, “It was Zelo. They send him to register the whole clique,” he explained, “They always do that and Zelo and Daehyun are the ones we are pretty good friends with so this saves us both time and arguments.”

“Oh, smart.”
 
JR smiled and nodded. You took a last glance at that group of people and saw that Yongguk kissed some random girl while holding her by her hips, before releasing her and turning towards his opponents. You flinched from the sight and looked away.

“Let the war begiiiiin~” one of the judges shouted into the microphone and every single one of the participants skated down the ramp and started showing off immediately.

You didn’t have time to warm up, which you thought you would but seeing everyone skate the hell out of them, you had to show the judges your best side. For being the free style part, there were many pretty good participants.
You began skating around and in-between your opponents. Showing off your pirouettes, flips and slides. You even combined some of them, which was actually a bit dangerous.

From time to time you would skate by JB, JR and Amber, but most of the time the four of you didn’t want to be near each other so you pretty much avoided each other during this part. While you skated around you spotted Zelo in a corner, doing some double flips which were really impressive. That boy was good at it.

“Now, now, we shouldn’t steal other’s ideas should we?” you heard a voice that faded away as the person skated. You turned around just to meet eyes with Yongguk’s. He skated towards you,  “Be original babe,” he used his English skills once again and once again you couldn’t really find the answer to why he could speak that language fluently.

“Shut up,” was the only thing you said before skating past him.

Slowly the judges started calling out numbers. The ones that didn’t made it. You really didn’t want your friends to be called out; even if it meant that you would be the one to compete against them in the next part. But you couldn’t loose the focus looking at them so you continued on skating and ignoring everyone. As long as they don’t call 29, I’m safe.

18…39…10…22…,” the judges called out one after one and the ramps weren’t crowded anymore. There was more space now and you took the chance to use it.

After a while, there weren’t many participants left. Four out of Yongguk’s friends were out. He and Zelo were the ones who were still in the game.

“28…13…30…2…36..”

You turned around and cursed under your breath. .. Amber and JR were out. Amber jumped off of her skateboard as she threw her cap on the ground in anger. JR skated up to her to calm her down. The game was still on so you couldn’t give her your attention right now.

“Noona! I’m still in!” shouted Zelo as he skated past you and you smiled.

You were actually glad for him because he does deserve it. From the corner of your eyes you could see JB and Yongguk skate close to each other. You weren’t sure why they did that but that had to be some tactic.

Alright guys, there are ten people who are still in the game and everyone knows that only three can make it to the semi finals.” The judge spoke in the middle of everything.

Everyone turned their attention towards the judge,and their faces told you that this isn’t something he usually does. Speaking in the middle of the competition.

After a long discussion with my colleagues, we came to a conclusion. Today will be a bit different than usual, “ he began explaining, earning some ‘what?’-s from the audience. “Instead of three people in the semi finals, we chose to double that up, which means that today, my ladies and gentleman, six participants will pass to the semi finals!” at that, the audience started to whistle, shout and applaud. They seemed to like the idea. But you weren’t really happy with the announcement.

The only thing you could do was accept the fact and continue on skating. There were just ten participants left, which meant that four more had to be called out. The ones that remained on the ramps were really good so you had to give your best on the field.

It took a while before a moving microphone could be heard.
So, yeaaah,” some other judge began, “The remaining four people to leave the competition are..

While you waited, you didn’t stop skating but you had your full attention on the speaking judge. You saw JB looking at you and making an okay sign with his hand. You smiled and skated past him.

“31…14…9.. and 27. I’m sorry but you’re out.”

There was mixed response from the crowd. Some of them were satisfied with the choice, others didn’t really agree with the judges. You scanned through the participants that were left. It was JB, Yongguk and Zelo that you knew. The nice guy from a couple days ago, Yukwon was still in and another girl that you didn’t know.

“Let’s not waist some time and go ahead right to part two: creativity and sliding!” announced the judge and you hadn’t time to talk to anyone.

“Let’s go!” JB skated up to you, grabbed you by your arm and dragged you with him towards to the handrails.

 

 

***

 


The part where you had to show your creativity was actually fun. You just skated and combined all of the tricks you knew. You shut off your brain and mind from the world and for the moment, you were in your own little world were everything was about skateboarding. After some tricks that everyone performed the girl and Yukwon were out. They weren’t good enough.

The part where you had to slide through different handrails was your favourite because sliding is something you love to do. JB was the first one to perform. He slid through some handrails and landed perfectly. You were really impressed by his amazing skills. The audience applauded and shouted JB’s name several times.

Next one up was Yongguk. Before starting off with his tricks, he glanced over to you and smirked. He mouthed a ‘watch and learn’ before skating away. At that, you showed him your best face. He skated around, switched handrails and different stairs. He jumped from one to another before landed nicely on the groud again. The crowd applauded and shouted even louder. All of the sudden you saw Gyuri run up to Yongguk to hug him and run away again. Yongguk had a confused look before turning to you again. He winked and joined JB on the other side.

It was Zelo’s turn. You could see that he was a bit nervous but he still smiled.

“Zelo hwaiting!” you shouted to him to cheer him up. His smile brightened and he showed you a thumbs up.

He started off with some simple slides here and there. After each handrail, his slides became more complicated which was good in one way. But this had its own consequences. If he does several complicated slides in a row, then the landings will not be that perfect. However, he continued on doing his amazing slides. When he performed the last one, as you were expecting, his landing was instable. You could see the disappointment in his face after he skated back and joined JB and Yongguk.

Lastly it was your turn. You took a deep breath before slowly skating forward. If you did well with the sliding, that would mean that Zelo is out of the game. You didn’t want to be the reason to why he is out but there was another thing that kept your mind on winning this competition. It was Yongguk. That pretty little face of his and his pretty and not so little pride. You just wanted to see his defeated face.

You started off by sliding through some low handrails, which became higher and higher for each handrail you owned. You slid through the handrails in different ways, changing the way you stay on the skateboard. Everyone watched you with interested eyes which actually made you a bit nervous. From the corner of your eyes, you saw Zelo’s stare. You knew that he wanted you to win but he didn’t want to be out either. You continued on sliding and ignored everyone. The last and longest handrail was left. You skated up to it and jumped on it. You slid perfectly and cleanly through it and now the landing was the only thing left.  You bowed a bit and prepared yourself, as you approached the end of the handrail, you balanced all your weight on the back and jumped a bit higher than usual. Finally you landed on the ground nicely and skated a bit further away before slowing down the skateboard.

Everyone in the audience was really impressed. They started screaming and shouting your name several times. You glanced over to Zelo, because this meant that he was out. You skated quickly over to him and gave him a really tight hug.

“I’m sorry,” was the only thing you could say.

“It’s okay, noona. This is actually the first time I came this long. I’m still proud of myself and even more proud of you. Don’t be sad!” he lifted you up from the ground and spun around a couple of times.

“Zelo! Stop it! Put me down. Now!!” you screamed, “I command you to put me…” just then he put you back down on the ground, “…down.”

“Alright, alright,” he smiled, “Now that you owned me, you have only JB and Yongguk hyung left. Show them that girl power of yours!” he lifted his hand up to high five you.

“Yeaaah,” you gave him a death glare because of the name he just mentioned and ignored his hand that was in the air.

And then we were down on three participants!” the judge from before spoke again. “Give us a round of applauder for these skilled guys. And I have to say, participant number 29, well done. We haven’t had a girl in the finale in ages!” he spoke definitely to you.

You gave him a wtf-look and turned to Zelo again. He, together with the crowd, applauded and shouted.

“Unbelievable,” you shook your head and rubbed your temples.

 

 

***

 

 

 

“I knew that you were good,” JR jumped up from the bench as you and JB approached him, Luna and Amber, “But I didn’t expect you to be a pro!”

“I’m not a pro,” you denied.

After you were done with part two, the judge informed that before the finale there is always a pause so JB and you decided to join your friends and be with them during this time. Zelo ran off to Yongguk and the others so you didn’t have to worry about his mood.

“I’m telling you, I haven’t seen a girl that skates so good in a long long time,” JR continued while nodding, “Auch!” he received a punch from Amber who was sitting beside him.

“Jin Ah you rocked out there,” Luna ignored the other two and turned to you.

“Thank you, but I wasn’t that good. Really... Besides, I have the finale left,” you took a seat in front of them.

“That’s true but you’re still the best out of all the girls,” said JB as he took a seat beside you.

You turned to him and gave him a death glare. You really hated when people compared you to other girls or when they just talked about you as a girl in general. Yes you were a girl, but that’s it. People shouldn’t talk about guys and girls but people in general.

“Say that again and I’ll slap you in the face... like a girl,” you threatened.

“Oh, well sorry!” he laughed nervously, “I’m thirsty,” he changed the topic immediatelly.

“Me too!” yelled Luna.

“You don’t need to scream…” Amber finally spoke.

“We can go and buy drinks for everyone. Come on JB,” JR got up and waved JB over.

“Ehm.. This wasn’t what I thought but okay,” he took his skateboard and walked over to JR.

“We will be right back!” yelled JR as the two of them skated away.