Chapter 26

My Enemy, My Lover in the Skatepark


 

***



Yes, you hated being lost with Yongguk. Anywhere you went, you always ended up in the same spot from before. Whenever you tried to correct him with directions or point out stuff he will just ignore you or answer arrogantly which you pretty much hated. After some time of searching, going around and trying to figure out where to go, you couldn’t take it anymore.

“I’m so freaking tired of this!” you shouted out which caught Yongguk’s attention. He turned around to look at you with a confused look. You ignored his look and dig into your pocket to take your phone out and call Amber. The phone rang a few times before it switched to the voicemail. You rolled your eyes and dialled Luna’s number instead. Once again you ended up by the voicemail. “Where the hell are they?” you asked yourself.

You hung up on Luna too and tried to figure out who to call next. For some strange reason you didn’t want to call JB because he was acting a little bit strangely lately. He wasn’t as talkative as he used to be when everyone was around and you kept on seeing his somewhat sad face. You didn’t know why but you wanted to talk to him about it before anything else. Even this phone call.

Instead of calling JB, you ended up dialling JR’s number. The phone rang a few times before finally he answered.

“Hey Jin Ah!”

“JR, where are the others? Why aren’t they answering my calls?” you asked right away because you were pissed as hell and when you’re mad you didn’t know anything about manners and nice talks and just wanted to get to the point.

Yongguk watched you all the time with his hands in his pockets.

Calm down there,” JR laughed, “They are actually out somewhere. Everyone except me, Jongup and Zelo, decided to go and take a walk around the sea and the guys wanted to go for a swim too. The three of us stayed behind to prepare the side dishes” he explained.

“And everyone just forgot their stuff with their phones,” you said ironically.

“Actually yes..”

“Are you kidding with me?” you raised your voice.

No, I swear they left their stuff. Okay maybe not everyone, but I can see a lot of backpacks and shoes in a corner,” he informed.

You shook your head while closing your eyes in frustration, “JR… I’m lost in the forest and don’t know how to freaking come out. There are like four different paths and I don’t know which one to take. Can someone help me?!”

“You know, I’m actually the wrong person to ask. I just followed the others. Try to call someone else!” he suggested.

The anger inside of you boiled and you were about to explode anytime soon but you still tried to keep calm because it wasn’t JR’s fault after all. You took a deep breath before answering. “Alright, thank you for nothing JR.”

He laughed, “I’m so sorry!”

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll try to figure out what to do. See you later…. Or never,” and with that you hang up.


After putting your phone back into the pocket again you stood in one spot in silence. When you are thinking and concentrating on coming up with solutions, you need peace and silence. You have already called all the numbers you had and JB wasn’t an option right now. The only number left, from the people that are going to Zico’s, is Yongguk and he happens to be right next to you.

You looked at him and he was still looking at you with his hands in his pockets and an arched eyebrow.

“What?” you asked coldly.

“Nothing, just watching you fail on being smart,” he shrugged.

“Very funny,” you rolled your eyes.

“Funny but true.”

You sighed and looked away because a fight wouldn’t help right now. Suddenly an idea popped into your mind. If you didn’t have the others’ number, Yongguk did. You turned to him again and stretched out your hand.

“Give me your phone.”

He had a confusing look on his face, “No, why?”

“Just give it to me!” you shook your hand.

“I don’t want to.”

You clenched your teeth and walked up to him before trying to take his phone out from his pocket. He started backing away, blocking your hands to come any closer to his pocket. “What are you doing? Stop!”

“I refuse to. I need that freaking phone right now,” your eyes were on the phone that was sticking out from his pocket.

“Jin Ah, seriously stop it.”

You shook your head and fought with his arms. While you tried to grab his phone with one hand, he was holding your other arm to prevent you from using it too. Yongguk stretched your arm out so you came closer to him but this time you really didn’t gave a .

“Yongguk give me your stupid phone so I can call for some help!”

“No! No one touches my phone!”

“You think I care about the stuff you have in it? I really don’t! I freaking don’t care about the people you talk to. They are probably a bunch of shameless es,” you rolled your eyes and continued on your plan to take his phone.

While he took steps backwards with your arm stretched out along with his, the two of you ended up slowly spinning around in a waltz-like motion.

“Just… give… it.. to me!” you said through your teeth.

“No!”

All of the blue, he jerked his grip on you in a try to drag you away, but in all this fight your feet stumbled over a bunch of small branched making you fall backward and because of Yongguk’s grip on one of your arms, he followed after you. Just in seconds your fight was replaced with a silent moment with him lying literally over you in the middle of nowhere.

Both of you widened your eyes from this unexpected moment. Seconds became hours and everything went in slow motion. Your breathing was uneven because of the nearness. You could feel his breath on your cheek and his pink plumb lips slightly touched your jaw line. Because of the thin clothes he wore on such a hot weather, you could feel every muscle of his on your body that made you kind of uncomfortable in this situation.

You gulped down the saliva that gathered in your mouth and you needed to do something very quickly. Just seconds ago your brain and mind passed out but came back not long after. You pushed Yongguk away while looking anywhere else but his eyes and in that motion you grabbed the small part of his phone that was sticking out and pulled the phone out. Like a ninja, you took the phone and jumped up to take couple of steps back away from him.

Your breathing was still uneven and you looked at him to see him still lying on the ground as shocked as he was seconds ago. He looked at you and didn’t say a word.

“I warned you,” you whispered and turned your attention to the phone.

You slid the unlock button on the phone with your finger to lock it up and it took you straight to the main page. Surprisingly it didn’t ask for any password and you arched your eyebrows at him. “Well, well. This was easy,” you teased.

You didn’t wait any longer and dialled the latest call Yongguk made. It was Himchan. The phone rang a couple of times and after the fifth beep you were on your way to hang up but then someone answered.

“Hello?” you called out.

“Ah~ Jin Ah!” it was a very familiar voice, just not the one you expected to hear. “Where are you?”

“I don’t know either! Jonup, where is Himchan?” you asked nicely, “Why did you answer his phone?”

“Himchan is somewhere out there with the others. He left his phone here,” he explained, “and because I was the only one close to their stuff I heard the phone ring so I ran up to it and answered.”

Just like that, you remembered JR telling you that the two of them together with Zelo were in Zico’s cottage while the others were God knows where. Yongguk stood up from the ground and brushed away the dust and leafs from his clothes before walking towards you with his arm stretched out. You started backing away while still talking to Jongup.

“God, why is everyone so useless?” you asked yourself which made Jongup laugh on the other end. “Is there any way you could help me then?” you asked him instead.

“I… don’t think so,” he answered gently, probably remembering the conversation you had with JR not long ago.

“Gaaaah,” you cried out while still backing away from Yongguk, who waved with his hand in front of you in hope to take the phone. “Life is so freaking unfair.”

“I’m sorry,” he laughed again, “I’ll tell hyung to call you when they are back. But I believe you will find a way out without them. Come on, you’re Jin Ah after all!”

You shook your head although he couldn’t see you, “Just… no. Just go back and have a nice time while I’m dying here,” you exaggerated.

Just then Yongguk took the phone away from you and ended the call before you could say anything else to Jongup.

“What the hell?!” you shouted at him.

“I’m the one who should ask that!” he held his phone up. “I said no. A hundred times! Which part of the no don’t you understand?!”

“I don’t care what you said because I have to take myself out of here. I’m slowly going insane!”

“Don’t you think I am?”

“Once again, I don’t care,” you said coldly.

“Really now? I’m lost because of you. If you weren’t late, I wouldn’t need to wait for you and would be with the others now!” he blured out.

“Excuse me? Because of me?!” you pointed to yourself in shock. “You were the one who waited and nobody asked you to do it!” you pointed towards him this time.

“Himchan did!”

“Oh, and out of nowhere you suddenly listened to him although you never follow anyone’s orders. All of the freaking sudden,” you waved with your hands in anger while sarcastically stating the obvious.

“I…” he opened his mouth in order to defend himself before closing it again and eyeing you from top to toe. “Forget it,” he whispered and walked past you, going back to searching for a way out.

You crossed your arms and rolled your eyes before following him. The two of you walked in silence because both of you were angry at each other and refused to say a word. After another while, you didn’t make any progress in finding that stupid way out and you seriously couldn’t take it anymore. You gave up.

You stopped walking and took a seat on the closest big rock you saw. It was just after a couple of steps later that Yongguk noticed that you weren’t beside him and turned around. When he saw you sitting on the rock with your arms crossed, he lowered his head in defeat and walked up to you.

“What now?” he asked annoyed.

“What do you mean what now?”

“Why are you sitting there?” he motioned with his hand towards the stone.

“Because wherever we go, we clearly can’t find a way out,” you said harshly.

He took a deep breath, obviously as tired of this as you were and rubbed his temples. “Sitting there won’t help you.”

“This will help me as much as walking after you,” you shrugged, already giving up on life.

This time, he just looked at you, having a hard time finding something smart to say to you. You didn’t care and looked around instead when suddenly something caught your attention a little bit away on your right side. You squinted with your eyes before recognizing some train tracks.

_“Zico explained that there is this little path right before you enter the city and that path takes you through a forest and ends by an old railway station that is not in service anymore and from there, there is a sidewalk that is pretty long and… I don’t remember where we are supposed to go after that.”_
You remembered Hoya’s words.

Railway station.

“Got ya'!” you shouted out and ran towards the directions of the railway station.

“Hey!” you heard Yongguk shout behind you while running after you.

 


 

***

 

 

“How do you know that we are walking the right way?” Yongguk asked after the two of you skated in silence on the long sidewalk parallel to the train tracks.

You passed the station a long time ago and all you could see in front of you was wood, a long sidewalk and train tracks.

“Hoya told me before I ran home,” you informed.

“Hoya this, Hoya that,” you heard him whisper in annoyance.

“Excuse me?” you turned to him.

“Who is this Hoya guy anyway?” this time you could see his annoyed face.

“Are you... are you jealous maybe?” you asked him in a high pitched voice with a hint of mocking in it, totally ignoring his question.

“Ehmm… No? After all, I was the one who made out with you last night and you clearly enjoyed it,” this time he was the one who mocked.

Your eyes turned into two big balls, “I did no-“

“That’s not what the lie-detector said earlier,” He interrupted you.

You could feel your cheeks getting warmer and you blushed right away. “Well.. Yo-You are the one who is in love with m-“ you stopped talking after realizing where this awkward conversation was going.

Yongguk looked at you expressionless and turned his head away from you. You looked away and continued on skating. Talk about embarrassing.

After this, there was another silence and this time it was an awkward one. The long sidewalk that never seemed to end didn’t help either. You wanted to come up with something to say just to break this awkward aura but didn’t find anything.

“Have you ever tried to skate on a train track?” Yongguk asked out of nowhere and the confusing part was that his voice was really calm with not a single hint of arrogance or annoyance.

He looked at you and you just shook your head at that. He smirked and shook his head. “Watch this,” he said and picked up his skateboard before running up to the train tracks. He skated a bit on the asphalt beside the tracks before jumping up on one of them and sliding through flawlessly. He ended the show with jumping up and catching his skateboard in the air that he pushed up before landing on the asphalt again.

That was pretty cool and you really wanted to try it yourself.

“Oh, no no,” he said when he saw your face, “this isn’t anything for you.”

You arched your eyebrow before speaking, “Really? Well then, it’s your time to watch me mister.”

You saw him smile to himself from that and that wasn’t a smile that you see often. It was warm and it reached his eyes.

You ran up to him and did exactly the same thing because even though you never did that before, it still was pretty similar to the sliding you do on regular handrails. Yongguk clapped slowly at that and nodded his head, showing you that he was impressed.

“Nice, now we have something to do while skating beside the sidewalk,” he said as a suggestion.

You nodded your head in agreement and the two of you started skating and sliding right away.  The sun was slowly going down turning the sky into different red-pink-purplish colors. It was a little bit chillier now when the sun was about to disappear making the mood a little better.

The two of you just continued skating while commenting stuff now and then. The train tracks didn’t seem to end any time soon and the same went for the sidewalk too, making the two of you skate and slide even more.

While you were sliding through one of the tracks, your skateboard got stuck in one random piece of iron that was sticking out, making you lose control over the skateboard and your balance and tumble forward, hitting your knee on the track. Immediately you cried out in pain because it was hurting really much.

“Hey!” Yongguk shouted after seeing what happened and ran up to you. “Are you okay?!”

You breathed through your teeth and shook your head. The pain was so strong that you could feel your eyes tearing up. You didn’t want to cry and you didn’t even feel like it but the tears came anyway. You were sitting down on the ground while holding your knee with both hands and rocked your body back and forth in hope for the pain to go away. But it didn’t.

“Here, let me see,” Yongguk kneeled down in front of you and gently took away your hands to check on your knee.

You could see that it was clearly red and that a slightly shade of blue was coming up from nowhere. Your skin was sensitive so this was not a surprise to you.

“, you need to put some ice over this,” he said while gently caressing the skin around your knee. “Can you stand up?”

“I don’t think so.”

He offered his hand to you to help you up and just when you took hold of his hand and was on your way up, you felt a shock of pain knock in your knee. “!” you shouted out in pain.

“This is not good. This is so not good,” you heard him say to himself. He ran his hand through his hair while looking around. Again, there was nothing near but wood, train tracks and a sidewalk.

Suddenly he ran back to his skateboard to bring it to you, “Hold this,” he gave it to you and took of his backpack to put it on his stomach instead. He knelt down in front of you, with his back facing you before speaking again. “I need you to cooperate with me now. I’ll go down as much as I can and you try to jump on my back quickly.”

You widened your eyes after realizing what he was doing. “Are you going to piggyback me now?!”

“Yes, come on now.”

“No, you can’t do it!”

“Just jump on already! We need to put ice on your knee so we need to hurry up. Just do it now,” he insisted and to be quite honest, that was the best solution right now.

“I don’t think you can handle the weight of me, my backpack and two skateboards,” you stated.

“Test me.”

You took a deep breath; put your skateboard in your backpack and closed it as much as it could before jumping on Yongguk’s back with his skateboard in one of your hands. You heard Yongguk groan from all the weight and he jumped up. He stood in one position for a second to adjust the body. With you on his back, his backpack on his stomach and his skateboard in your hands over his backpack, he started walking on the sidewalk.  

Once again you were silent and this time you wanted it to be it because Yongguk needed as much concentration as possible. After a while of walking, and the pain still in your knee, the sidewalk seemed to come to an end. And just like that, you didn’t know anymore where to go.

Yongguk told you to take his phone and call Zico who could help you with the directions. It was really hard but somehow you managed to get his phone from his pocket and dial Zico’s number. It started ringing and you put it on speakers.

Ayo Guk! Here already?” Zico answered cheerfully.

“Listen Z, I’ll explain everything to you later but now all I need you to do is explain where we need to go now,” Yongguk said and you could hear that he was tired but he didn’t show it. You couldn’t help but feel bad for him. You rested your head on his shoulder, inhaling his familiar scent that you loved.

“Alright, alright. Where are you now?”

 

 

 

***

 



 Half an hour later, you were lying on the couch in Zico’s cottage. After Zico told you the direction, the two of you finally arrived and everyone was pretty shocked when they saw what was happening. Yongguk told them what happened on the train tracks and how the two of you ended up like this.

The guys were out, preparing and grilling the last food before everyone could dig in, while Amber and Luna took care of your knee. You were lying on the couch in the cottage with the pain still in your knee.

“Only you Jin Ah, only you,” Amber shook her head.

You closed your eyes, totally ignoring her comment and kind of tried the same thing on the knee too. But you failed. You tried ignoring the pain by thinking of the scene from earlier where you saw a totally different side of Yongguk. A side that you have never seen before. Not even the night where the two of you were alone in the skatepark. That side was a worrying and caretaking side. A real boyfriend-material and nothing like the Yongguk you knew.

“Come on Amber, just imagine how much fun the two of them must have had!” Luna said excitedly.

You gave her a wtf-look and shook your head. “Yeeeah, fun indeed,” you added.

“Oh come on, I’m not stupid Jin Ah. The two of you alone in the forest, I mean… hello~” Luna acted like she said the smartest thing in the world.

“Guys, the food is ready!” the three of you heard Daehyun call from outside.

It was dark outside, and what you could see when passing by them earlier, they made it very cozy in front of the cottage.

“We are coming!” answered Amber and stood up.

“You guys go ahead, I’ll come in a bit,” you said to them and you could see in their eyes that they were really hungry so they totally didn’t have anything against that.

“Alright, but don’t wait too much. They will eat all the food,” warned Luna and the two of them walked out of the room while closing the door.

You sighed once and looked around in the room. So many things have happened today and the day wasn’t over yet. You thought back to all the things that happened between you and Yongguk and how your moods changed all the time. One second you were fighting, the other second you were teasing each other, the third second the two of you had fun and so on.

You picked your phone up from your pocket and you didn’t know why but you clicked straight to your camera pictures where you opened the picture with Yongguk’s tigger and him in the background. The picture you took in his room where he couldn’t stop teasing you although both of your mothers were in the same house.

You smiled to yourself while looking at the picture because it was a cute yet funny snapshot. You mentally reminded yourself to ask him one day why that plush toy was so important to him.

Out of nowhere, someone knocked on the door and you quickly put your phone away before turning to the door again. “Yes?”

The door opened just a little bit before you saw JB’s head stuck in through it.

“Can I come in?”