The grey shades

Manager of the Century

 

Jaehwa’s POV

I stared blankly at my huge desk, breathing heavily.

I had been with YG for 15 years. 15 long and hard years and I’d worked hard and made my way to the top. So what if other people got hurt in the process? I had the success I had always wanted. Its true that I had used unfair means at times and done unethical stuff but what was the problem with that? This world is too hard. And to survive I had done all I could.

I looked at the picture of my son and wife on my desk. My eyes softened a little and I felt long forgotten tears.

My son would’ve been been 24 years now. GD’s age. He wanted to become a singer too. That was the reason I joined YG. I hoped that he would one day join the company and become a big star. He would make us proud. I was assigned as a junior trainer to Big Bang. I worked hard. My family was complete. We were happy. My son was going to audition and become an idol. And then? Then the doctors said he had brain cancer. We tried everything. We went to every doctor in the world but slowly and painfully he withered away.

My wife said my son looked a lot like me. She said every time she looked at me she thought of him. She said she couldn’t bear to see me. We got divorced. I started living alone. YG became my whole life. I started looking at GD as my own son. Rather, he became my own son.

I remember that day Yang Hyunsuk called me to his office.

                                                     ~~~

“Yes sir?” I walked in cautiously.

“Ah Jaehwa. Sit.” He said calmly and motioned to a seat in front of him.

I noticed GD was sitting quietly on the couch to the side.

“What is it sir?” I asked politely.

“Jaehwa I am getting too many complaints against you.”

I felt a pang as he uttered those words.

“ You aren’t  behaving properly with the broadcasting staff or the trainers. This is not the way to work Jaehwa. You and I go long back but this is not YOUR company Jaehwa. It is mine.”

I wanted to tell him it was as much mine as it was his. I had given it my sweat and my blood and he had no right to take it away from me.

“ If anyone threatens it I will have to take action. Agencies are hesitant in collaborating with Big Bang because of you. This will not work Jaehwa. You need to get your head on straight. One more complaint Jaehwa and I will not hesitate to ask you to hand in your resignation letter.”

 I sat quietly looking at my hands.

My cheeks were red with anger and shame. I felt no guilt. All the people I had talked down to had deserved it.

I tilted my head a little to look at GD. He was sitting calmly. I noticed how much he looked like my son. I expected him to get up and do something about this but he just sat quietly.

With a pang I realized that however much I had loved him, he had never reciprocated my feelings. And probably never would.

“Sir?” he said addressing Hyunsuk.

I saw some hope and a flame flickered inside me but it was extinguished within seconds as GD said “I know someone who would make a very good manager sir. She’s looking for the job actually. She’s very well qualified.”

I sat there stunned. 15 years and they were already looking for a replacement for me. I had given 15 years to this boy and he could throw me away so easily.

“Hmm…” YG said “Well sure. You must’ve made a good choice GD. She will be our first choice. What is her name GD? Is she in Seoul?”

“Poorva sir. Poorva Parashar. And yes she is.” GD said smiling brightly.

Poorva Parashar. I frowned and gritted my teeth. Lets see how she can ever replace me.

Oh wait. I’ll ruin her before she can even try.