I'll never let you go

Manager of the Century

WARNING: Emotional chapter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eunhyuk’s POV

I kept glancing at her while driving the car to see if she was okay. She wasn’t looking at me but out of the window.

“Poorva...” I said softly.

She didn’t answer.

“Poorva…?” I turned a little to look at her.

“She’ll be okay won’t she?” her voice was choked and I actually felt pain to see her like that.

“Yes. Yes she will.” I said reassuringly.

Poorva’s POV

I dashed out of the car and quickly asked a nurse for the respective room. I rushed off in the general direction and came before the door when I saw a doctor coming out.

“Doctor!” I ran up to him.

“Are you her daughter?” He asked.

“Yes.” I nodded.

He sighed and said “Please follow me.”

Eunhyuk came up running behind me and I motioned for him to follow me.

The doctor led us into a room and asked us to sit.

“My name is Lee JiHoon.” He said “I have performed a surgery on your mother but there have been some complications.”

Eunhyuk put one arm around me and supported me while Mr. Jihoon continued, “Due to the heart attack your mother’s brain was left without oxygen for some time. When she was brought before me I could only save her heart. We tried our best but we couldn’t prevent her brain from being affected.”

“Whats wrong with her?” I heard myself ask.

“She can see you and hear you but she can’t move or do anything at all.”

“But she’ll be all right won’t she?”

“I can’t say. It is necessary for her to come out of that state in the next few days or I am sorry we won’t be able to do anything to keep her going.”

“Can… Can I meet her…?” I asked.

“Yes. You may. In fact Mr. Jiyong is with her at the moment. Please come.”

I felt myself get up and trudge along. I couldn’t digest what the doctor was saying. It didn’t make any sense. My mum… gone…? Just like that?  I didn’t quite believe it. I expected this to be some sort of a joke.

When I saw her lying on the bed, with tubes connected to her nose and her hands I didn’t quite believe it. I expected her to get up any minute and yell “Poorva! Surprise!” Then I would get angry with her for making such a horrible joke. Then I would sulk. And then? Then she would come and sing for me. She would hug me and give me a little kiss. Then she would laugh. That beautiful laughter of hers… and tell me she loved me. And I would hug her back. But that never happened. Any of it. She never got up. She never told me it was a joke. I waited. For a minute. For two. For five. Then for ten. I just stood there thinking that any minute now it would happen. And then it dawned on me. This was real.

The shock was too much to absorb. No tears came out of my eyes. I dragged my feet and sat by her bed. I didn’t see anyone around me.

“Poorva?” I faintly heard Jiyong say.

I didn’t reply. Eunhyuk sat beside me and held one of my hands reassuringly. I didn’t show any reaction. I barely noticed.

All I could see before me was the graying old lady who had brought me up. Who had made me what I was today. The strong woman, the one who could face any situation head on. The one who used to tell me I could achieve whatever I wanted if I worked hard. She had that fire in her eyes. I stared at her eyes trying desperately to find that same spark.

“Jiyong have you called my father…?” I whispered.

“Y-yes I have. He’ll be here tomorrow.” I heard him say.

I nodded a little then hesitantly took one of her hands in mine.

That reassurance and warmth was gone. They were cold. Her hand lay lifeless in my palms as I clutched it with both hands trying somehow… anyhow to make her come back.

“Omma…” I buried my face in her palm.

I sat there like that for god knows how long.

                                                                           ~~~

“Poorva. Its been 7 hours. Lets go home and get you changed. We’ll come right back. I promise.” Eunhyuk said laying one hand on my shoulder.

I nodded and got up from the place I had assumed next to her bed. I took one last look at her as I walked out of the door. Her eyes were still staring at the same part of the ceiling as they had when I had come in for the first time. 

hadn’t moved an inch. Her hand still lay as lifeless as it did before.

I was halfway down the hall when I paused and turned.

“Everything okay?” Eunhyuk asked me.

“One last thing.” I said and rushed back to the hospital room.

She was still lying there. Just like I’d left her.

I ran by her side, grabbed her hand and knelt beside her.

“It's like a storm

That cuts a path

It breaks your will

It feels like that

You think you're lost

But you're not lost on your own,

You're not alone

I will stand by you,

I will help you through

When you've done all you can do

and you can't cope

I will dry your eyes,

I will fight your fight

I will hold you tight

and I won't let go

It hurts my heart to see you cry

I know its dark this part of life

Oh it finds us all and we're too small

to stop the rain

Oh but when it rains

I will stand by you,

I will help you through

When you've done all you can do

and you can't cope

I will dry your eyes,

I will fight your fight

I will hold you tight

and I won't let you fall

Don't be afraid to fall

I'm right here to catch you

I won't let you down

It won't get you down

You're gonna make it

I know you can make it

Cause I will stand by you,

I will help you through

When you've done all you can do

and you can't cope

I will dry your eyes,

I will fight your fight

I will hold you tight

and I won't let go

Oh I'm gonna hold you

and I won't let go”

She didn’t react. She didn’t move. She didn’t say anything. I looked at her. I just looked.

“Lets go.” Eunhyuk said softly and lifted me.

He supported me through the door and took me to the car.

I sat beside him.

“She used to sing that for me.” I said

“What?” He asked.

“That song. She used to song it for me. I just remembered. When I had my accident… she used to sing it for me.”

A single tear escaped my eye.

Jyoti’s POV

She said the last few lines of the song I used to sing to her. It would always calm her down. Make her all right again. It would pacify her. Put her to sleep. I thought she’d forgotten.

I wanted to hug her, pull her close and tell her how much I loved her. She just looked at me and I wanted to react. Oh so much. But I couldn’t move. Not even an eyelid.

‘I love you, my daughter!’ I wanted to yell loudly but I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.

Eunhyuk picked her up and led her out. Good. I don’t think I would have been able to see her cry.

As I saw her leave I remembered what she sang for me and a single tear escaped my eye before I was rendered motionless again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay this is my 'real' last-chapter-before-exams. No more after this for 2-3 weeks. Take care everyone. I hope you liked it! Please comment and subscribe (ONLY if you liked it. If not tell me what I can improve on). Aja Aja Hwaiting! ^-^