Enough?

Manager of the Century

 

Poorva’s POV

I trudged out of the bathroom slowly. I’d just had a brief shower.

“Poorva hey have some food.” Ryeowook said holding out a sandwich to me.

“I’m not hungry but thanks.” I said forcing a smile.

“You need the energy.” Eunhyuk said taking the sandwich from Ryeowook and making me sit on the couch.

I took a small bite and rested my head near Eunhyuk’s neck.

He didn’t say anything and put one arm around me.

Just then I felt a weird tingling sensation and I wondered if there had been something strange in the sandwich.

“Uh Poorva… your phone…?” Eunhyuk said and I was shaken out of a trance

“Huh…? Oh uh… Right.” I glanced at my phone which was ringing loudly and I picked it up

“Hello?”

“Poorva yeah beta I’m at the airport. I can’t seem to find a taxi. Could you pick me up?” I heard a familiar voice on the line.

“Papa? You’re here? I’ll be right there. Just wait okay?” I asked sitting bolt upright.

“Okay I’ll be waiting.” He said and hung up.

I sighed heavily.

“Come on.” Eunhyuk said gently pulling me along.

Pravin’s POV

I waited outside the airport. There were hustling bustling families all around me. If it had been any other day I would have been joking around with Jyoti or I would have called her up telling her I had landed.

I sighed and looked up. I wonder if I’ll be able to do that again…

Poorva’s POV

I scanned the crowd for him as I rode on in silence.

Then I saw him. He looked shrunken. Literally shrunken. His cheeks were hanging and it looked like he’d lost weight. He hadn’t caught sight of me yet. He wasn’t smiling. My father was always smiling. I would’ve cried but my eyes couldn’t squeeze out more tears.

I told Eunhyuk to stop the car and got out of the car. I waved to my dad and he looked at me. He gulped and forced a smile.

It broke my heart to see him like that.

Pravin’s POV

I watched as Poorva and Eunhyuk made their way over to me.

She came forward and hugged me half heartedly. I hugged her back. Then I reached one hand out to Eunhyuk

“I’d wanted to meet you but not under such circumstances. Good afternoon. I’m Dr. Pravin Parashar.”

He extended his hand and gave me a strong handshake. Good boy. I like him already.

“Lets go straight to the hospital shall we then?” I asked.

Poorva nodded and led me to car silently.

                                              ~~~

We’d arrived before the hospital door. I could see her lying inside with tubes attached all over her. She looked lifeless… I put my hand on the door and pushed it open.

“Poorva beta… Go see the doctor please. I’d like some time alone.”

She patted my shoulder once and left. I was thankful she hadn’t asked anything.

Crossing that threshold was the hardest thing I’ve done in my life.

Poorva’s POV

Eunhyuk and I walked into the doctor’s office. He didn’t look too happy. I bit my lower lip and inched closer to Eunhyuk. He noticed and put one arm around my waist pulling me closer.

“Your mother’s condition hasn’t had just one cause. It wasn’t just the heart attack… fear, hysteria, depression were also involved. I don't want to give you false hope but it could be locked in syndrome. In which the person is completely paralyzed, or nearly so, though their mental faculties remain normal.”

I bit my lip deeper.

“What can we do…?” Eunhyuk asked

“We need to conduct a few tests. Angiogram, CT, EEG, GSC & RLAS, PET, MRI and fMRI. But we don’t have the time. Your mother’s condition is worsening by the time. If she doesn’t get up soon her brain will be dead soon.”

I nodded a little and further buried myself into Eunhyuk’s chest.

He nodded and said “Thank you doctor.” And led me out.

I approached the door and was going to open it when I saw something I didn’t believe I would ever see. My father. He was crying. He was sitting by her side. He was clutching her hand and had it pressed to his forehead

I paused for a second the door slightly open.

“You can’t leave me like this Jyoti. Who’s going to get Poorva married huh? I can’t handle that kid alone!” he managed a weak attempt at laughter then stopped.

“Come back Jyoti. Come back.”

I backed away from the door and sat on one of the benches by the side.

“Eunhyuk…” I whispered…

 He sat beside me.

“Y’know… I can’t guess how hard it must’ve been. Raising a kid who isn’t your own. And giving that child so much love. And raising them like your own. She… gave me everything… Never let me feel that… she isn’t my mother. I argued with her. I was rude to her at times. But she never lost her patience. She didn’t let me feel for a single second. And she protected me. And… she can’t go like this… not like this…” my voice had changed to a whisper by the end.

“You know what the worst part is? That she handled me through all of this. And now there is nothing I can do for her… Nothing at all…”

Just then papa came out. Both of us looked equally worn out.

“Both of you get something to eat.” Eunhyuk said and directed us to the hospital’s canteen.

I left silently.

Eunhyuk’s POV

I pushed the door open and went to her side with determination shining in my eyes.

“Okay that’s it.” I pointed at her and then stood there awkwardly.

“You can’t do this.” I said.

“Look at her! Look at him! Don’t you see?! You’re causing all that! Get up!”

I looked at her. No reaction.

“Oh come on. Is that the kind of mother and wife you are? She… she hasn’t eaten okay! And I can bet he hasn’t either! I had to force her to drink water!”

I sat by her side.

“Listen I don’t know what you’re going through so I won’t pretend to understand but just listen to this… She’s feeling helpless right now. She’s already lost her family once. Don’t do it to her again. What do you think will happen. You said she’ll forget if she’s traumatized. I love her with everything she is. If she forgets me then will you find the kind of love I’ll give her ever again? Don’t do this to her please. She can’t take it.”

There was no reaction.

I sighed and got up then turned for one last time and said

“I will never ask anything else of anyone if you grant me this one wish. Make her smile…” and then I added “Omma…”

I turned again to walk back when I heard something behind me

I heard a very feeble whisper “Beta…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXAMS OVER! WOOOHOOO!