Angel or Devil?

Zombieland SJ

The Angel and The Devil. Two sides of the same coin. Usually that's just known as a simple phrase. However, in Jungsoo's case, it's literally his whole past life when he was still active in Shiny Heaven.

"To Super Junior, it's the Angel. To Shiny Heaven, it's the Devil." (Jungsoo)

"Jungsoo?" (Ryuah)

Jungsoo got surprised when Ryuah, Youngwoon and Kyuhyun came into the room. "Uh... Did I say something?"

"Something about being the Devil?" (Youngwoon)

"Oh... I was just thinking." (Jungsoo)

"About what?" (Kyuhyun)

"About my times with Super Junior compared to Shiny Heaven. With you guys, I feel more like myself." (Jungsoo)

"And with Shiny Heaven?" (Youngwoon)

"I... I was kinda putting on an act back then..." (Jungsoo)

"An act?" Youngwoon and Kyuhyun didn't expect that word to come out of Jungsoo's mind.

"If I recall, although you smiled in front of the cameras, you didn't smile in real life that much, right?" Ryuah asked carefully.

"... Yeah. I just... couldn't stand them." (Jungsoo)

"I'd bet. With that kind of personality, who wouldn't despise them?" (Youngwoon)

"If I could, I could just hit them until they die!" (Kyuhyun)

"Yeah... Let's not go that far... " (Jungsoo)

Jungsoo known that they're trying to comfort him, and it's working. All of them had rough times before their deaths and none of them were pleasant. That's why they have each other's backs, so that they could live their new lives without suffering as much as they did before.

 

The next day, Jungsoo was out to buy new stuff for himself and the others. And the list was... longer than your average shopping list. If you ever seen a cartoon with a ridiculously long shopping list, imagine that but in real life...

"At least we got plenty of money these past few weeks..." (Jungsoo)

The items on the list include :

  • Guitar Strings (Donghae)
  • Violin Strings (Henry)
  • Oil-based Colored Pencils (Heechul)
  • Game Magazine (Kyuhyun)
  • Idol Magazine (Zhou Mi)
  • Camera Batteries (Donghee)
  • Sewing Set (Han Geng)
  • Shoelaces - Dark Silver (Hyukjae)

... and too many more to mention here.

"Let's see... Siwon needs some new pens. I wonder if they still make that model. Kibum asked for extra notebooks..." (Jungsoo)

Since there were so much on the list, Ryuah had to come and pick up everything Jungsoo had bought until that point. Usually that takes a few days but this time, it was done in about two hours.

"Maybe it's because I'm more relaxed." Jungsoo thought to himself.

Since being with Super Junior, he has become more relaxed than he was in his previous life.

 

People didn't know it because he was wearing heavy make-up, but back when Shiny Heaven was in their peak in 2002, Jungsoo hasn't slept properly for 2 months straight at the very worst. 

"... and you have nothing for the next two weeks. You can take a break." (Manager)

"You sure, hyung?" (Jungsoo)

Even though Jungsoo was already tired, he just kept pushing himself to unhealthy limits. So much so that his personal manager is the only person who gets worried about him.

"Jungsoo, you don't have to do all this work. I mean, they're not even all yours." (Manager)

"But no one else does them." (Jungsoo)

"Even with all that make-up, we can't cover it up anymore. Just two weeks of proper sleep and you'll be as good as new." (Manager)

"Okay..." (Jungsoo)

Despite his manager's encouragement, he still couldn't get past his experiences with getting bullied from the other Shiny Heaven members. 

 

Back then, Jungsoo was used to being called 'the Angel of the Idol Industry'. And while that was true when it came to the fans and the staff he trusts, he was anything but an Angel to Shiny Heaven. Even after getting killed, he still felt like he's not worthy of being called an Angel and thought he was more befitting of being called a Devil.

 

"Life is good." (Jungsoo)

Now resurrected and given another chance in the idol industry, Jungsoo overcame his past trauma and gradually started to show the real him as an overall person. Of course, under a stage name due to circumstances. But it was something that he could never do with Shiny Heaven. While he was thinking about his and Super Junior's futures, he had finished all his shopping.

"And that's the last of it. Wow... That took less time than usual." (Jungsoo)

He called Ryuah to come pick him up and the last of the shopping.

"So, are you an Angel? Or are you a Devil?" Ryuah asked in a playful way.

Jungsoo slightly laughed before answering, "Depends. But mostly an Angel when it came to you and the others."

"That's good enough. We have to pick up Key from his variety show filming." (Ryuah)

Since Key's first solo variety show appearance, he was getting more offers and became a regular on several shows. He credits Jungsoo for his success, as he was the one who taught him what to do when doing variety shows.

"Hey, hyung." (Key)

"Good work today. I have a feeling that this episode will also be a big hit." (Jungsoo)

"That's all thanks to you, hyung. I wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for your advice." (Key)

"I think you're overstating it. I was just giving simple advice from my experiences. Nothing more than that." (Jungsoo)

"Jungsoo, you should be more proud of yourself. Not only as a leader in your own group, but also as a role model for future talents." (Ryuah)

"A role model? Me? I don't know..." (Jungsoo)

"Shiny Heaven did look like 5 Angels on the outside. But in reality, they were 4 Devils torturing 1 Angel. Said Angel being you." (Key)

"Key's right. And now that Shiny Heaven is long forgotten, you're free to be your true self. An Angel of guidance to the future generation." (Ryuah)

He was always giving advice and words of encouragement to others. Now he needs to receive the encouragement from those who he help.

"... Thanks, guys."

 

Something to learn from here?

Once you show generosity to the right people, you'll always be awarded with gratitude. Then, you'll always be seen as an Angel of guidance.