Number One Girl

∞ Infinite Possibilities ∞ ║ One-Shot Requests Archive (2012-2017)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Requested by: pegase2311

Title: Number One Girl

Main Characters: Son Seungwan/Wendy (RED VELVET), Kim Jongdae/Chen (EXO), Bae Suji/Suzy (MISS A)

Pairing: Wendy x Chen x Suzy

Genre: Romance, Angst

Plot: Wendy likes Chen. A lot. But Chen only sees Wendy as his junior, his friend, his #1 woman friend. Because his heart is belong to one woman only, his Suzy. No one knows their relationship including Wendy, until the news broke out..

Keywords: friendzoned, heartbroken

Additional Requests: A happy ending:)

 

“Ok, you’re ready to go” the studio guy said “start!”

He pressed a button and the music started playing. Inside the recording booth stood Chen, a SM artist from the popular boy group Exo, bobbing his head to the song with the headphones halfway on his head, waiting for his time to sing. He was currently recording his part for the upcoming SMSTATION song that he was to do with HEIZE, SMSTATION being the new big thing that the company was doing for 2016 where they were going to be releasing a new digital track every week for about a year. It was now his turn to do one.

Once the music got to the right part he was waiting for, he began singing. And she began to intensely observe him.

She being Wendy, another idol at SMTOWN who belong to the latest new girl group there known as Red Velvet. She was sitting in the room outside of the booth – obviously – watching Chen sing with such deep focus, like the two of them were the only ones currently in existence there. Her hands cupping her head while she had a pleasant smile residing on her face.

“Wow, Chen’s voice is so wonderful. And he sings so well” she thought. As a matter of fact, she was so deep into her thought about him, that she didn’t even realize how time has gone by and that he soon finished up with recording.

“Wendy…Wendy…Wendy!” Chen called out her name three times before getting a response from her, pulling her out of her mind.

“Huh, what?” she looked around confused.

“Hello?” he waved a hand in front of her face.

She looked up at him, surprised to see him standing right there in front of her “Oh, you already finished?”

He nodded “Yeah, quite a bit ago actually. I wanted to ask you about what you thought and how you think I did, but it seems like you’re kind of out of it. Was my singing that boring or something” he joked, causing her to freak.

“A-Ah, n-no” she stuttered “it’s not like that at all!” her words fumbled out of as she tried to think of what to say to save herself.

He laughed “Relax, I was just kidding”

Oh, he was just messing with her. Of course, she should’ve known. It was Chen of all people that she was dealing with. Having become such close friends with him, she usually doesn’t fall so easily to his playful comments like that, but at that very moment she had been distracted, which caused her to forget how to normally react.

What was it that caused her to become distracted to the point that she turned into a stuttering heap of embarrassment. Why, what else but her feelings?

Nobody, and I mean absolutely NOBODY knew at all about the way Wendy felt towards Chen. Not her family, not her other close friends, not even the four other members of her own group. Only she, who kept it to herself, knew about the way Chen made her feel whenever he was around within a nearby radius of at least ten feet. How he’d make her emotions skyrocket all over the place. How he’d cause her heart to loop around, going up and down, as if she was riding on a rollercoaster that drove her crazy and was full of mixed happy feelings.

Nobody knew that Wendy has had the biggest crush on Chen since she’s first set foot into the company. It certainly wasn’t love, but she did like him a lot. So much to the point that sometimes she’d wish they were more than just friends. Though, that was just a dream of hers, one that she didn’t think could actually happen. For one, she didn’t think he felt the same way, and secondly, she’s not quite sure she has enough courage to summon up a confession.

At the moment though, she was completely fine and content with where their relationship stood. One of the greatest best friend duos you will ever lay eyes on.

“So then, what did you think?” he actually asked this time after she cooled down.

She smiled at him as they exited the studio, Chen holding the door open for her “It was amazing, your voice is always on point like usual. Though, maybe you could’ve used a bit more work, just saying. I feel like it could have been done better” cheekily smiling, she glanced the other way.

Turning his head to look at her, his mouth hung open in pretend shock “Wow” then he smiled himself “look who’s making jokes now”

Then they started to nudge each other, pushing the other off to the side as they walked down the hall. Yup, this is the type of weird antics that go on between these two. And really, Wendy wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Well, speaking of the station, the song you did with Eric was quite nice” he complimented.

Hearing him say that caused her facial expression to brighten up and the warm feelings inside to spring up “Thanks, it was really fun to film”

“Looks like it. The two of you were pretty cute together”

Chen continued on forth, but Wendy stopped walking after hearing him say that, the expression on her face which was once gleaming, dropped as she frowned. That was something she didn’t like hearing, especially from him. Eric was pretty cool and all, but she’d never imagine that they were cute together, not like that at least. If she had the option to pick herself, she would rather want to star in a music video together with, you guessed it, Chen. Thinking about the scenario, they’d probably sing a great duet together. Who knows, the SMSTATION wasn’t over yet, so there was still plenty of time left to potential do one with him. And even after that, there still could be a chance. She’ll just have to wait and see.

“Yo, Wendy, come on!” he called out to her when he finally noticed her still back there.

“Coming!” and she ran to catch up with him.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

About a week after that, Wendy was chilling back at the Red Velvet dorm, patiently – not really – reading some random book that she picked up that she found lying around while waiting for a certain someone to come and stop by so that they can go hangout like they had planned. Clearly she wasn’t even paying attention to the contents of the book, not even reading past the first page, or better yet, the first sentence. Her foot was bouncing as she peaked at the time on her phone here and there, anxiously watching as the minutes went by.

Suddenly, rushed footsteps were heard, and Joy showed up at the door of her room “Wendy, Chen is here!” she radiantly said.

As soon as she heard his name and how he was here, Wendy threw her book down, abruptly sitting up “Yeah?”

“No” Joy flat out said, ruining her almost good mood.

Wendy sighed, falling back down onto the bed “Why must you do this to me?”

“Because you’re so oblivious” Joy answered, walking into the room and sitting on the opposite bed, which belonged to Seulgi who shared a room with the other. She spotted the book that she dropped on the ground, picking it up, kind of intrigued about what it could be about “you reading this book?” she asked.

“Huh?” Wendy lazily glanced over to see what she was talking about “Oh, no, not really” she didn’t really care about that book, and never had the intention of reading it.

Joy shook her head at her, placing the book down “Exactly”

Exactly? What did she mean by that? Sometimes Joy could be so confusing.

The two continued to just stay there in silence until the new maknae of the group Yeri was the next person to show up at the door of the bedroom “Unnie, Chen is here for you” she informed her.

And her good mood returned as she fully stood up, knowing that she could trust Yeri with what she said “Thanks Yeri” with a hum, the younger went off.

Wendy put her shoes on, grabbed a jacket and cap putting them on, then right as she was leaving, Joy told her something that made her freeze on the spot.

“Have fun on your date”

She felt her cheeks warm up at the word ‘date’ “Date? This isn’t a date” she quickly said.

“But you wish it was, didn’t you?” Joy got up herself, coming to stand beside the older, giving her a sly look “Don’t think I don’t know” and with that said, she made her way back into the main room of their apartment.

Wendy watching her go past with lost eyes, then she soon realized what she meant as her face turned to horror. Was it possibly that she knew about how she liked Chen? How could she? Wendy usually made sure to keep those feelings of hers on the down low when around her group members. But then again, this was Joy we are talking about, so it kind of made sense for her to have somehow found out, which was not good. This got her thinking though. What if Joy wasn’t the only one that knew? What if the others had caught her slipping too, and they know about how Wendy truly felt towards the vocalist?

“Oh no” she thought, grabbing her face while freaking out.

It wasn’t till her leader called out to her that she remembered what she was doing “Wendy, don’t just leave Chen out here waiting!”

“Oh, right” going over to the door, she found him standing there wearing similar style clothes; a jacket and a cap on his head.

“You ready to go?” he asked.

She nodded “Yup, let’s go”

With a goodbye to the other girls of Red Velvet, with them telling the two to have a good time - Joy giving Wendy that look again – they headed off to spend the day hanging out together. The was one more thing they needed though.

“Yo, do you have your shades?” he asked, holding up a pair of his own sunglasses.

Wendy stared at them and dropped open; she didn’t say a word. He took this as a sign that she had forgotten to bring hers, again.

“You’re lucky I always bring a second pair for you” he said, pulling out another from his jacket pocket and handing it to her. Got to make sure to hide their identities while out and about.

Now they were officially ready to roll. The two ended up going to a few different places. One of them being a clothing store, where although they did find some things that captured their interest, they didn’t buy anything. Maybe next time. They also rented a few movies to watch at a video store, since it’s been a while since they’ve had one of their annual movie nights. The finished off their day at a café near the main SM building.

The two sat in one of the very back corners, sipping on the smoothies they ordered.

“Wendy” Chen started to say “can I talk to you about something?” he seemed really serious when he asked that. This most of been something really important.

And so she became serious as well “Of course, you can tell me anything”

“I have this secret, I guess, that I’ve been thinking about coming forth with, though I’m not really sure”

“About what?”

“Well, it has to do with a girl that I’m pretty close with and letting everybody know about her and how I feel”

Her shades were covering them, but once Wendy heard that, her eyes lit up with hope. Could this girl that he was talking about be her? He did describe the fact that they were pretty close, and they were. And with what he was saying, it sounded like…like he might have also liked her and maybe wanted to confess? Well, that is IF he even was talking about her. He could very well be talking about another girl, though she was hoping that he wasn’t. She’s not sure how devastated she’d feel to find out something like that.

“So, what do you thing?” he asked, really wanting a second opinion from his junior on this.

“Well, um, if it’s something you’ve been thinking about for a long while now, then maybe it could be time to come out with the true. If you really like her, then you shouldn’t have to hide it, and I’m sure all those close to you will be really supportive about it, including me” she added in that last part at the last second, even though it may have not been what she really wanted to say.

“Right? That’s exactly what I was thinking!” he smiled “Thanks a lot for your input Wen” a nickname of hers that he sometimes refers to her as “I seriously didn’t know what to do, but now I’m sure that I want to go out with it” he placed his free hand on top of hers “you’re a really awesome friend”

“Mm” she hummed, trying to keep her own smile up and to not let it falter after hearing that, because she would be lying to herself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter