Chapter 42

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

I have been pressing the doorbell way too many times and I get no answer. I was getting worried every second, so I decided to open the door for myself and ran into the house, only to see Jongdae and his girlfriend fighting. They immediately stopped when they saw me standing by the door.

"Y/n... I'm sorry you have to see us like this." she exhales deeply and massaged her temples. "Everything's just-" she wasn't able to finish when a cry was heard. Without a word, she retreated to where the nursery was, leaving me and Jongdae alone in the living room.

Through the silence, I can feel how frustrated Jongdae is as several exasperated sighs keeps on coming out of him.

"I'm sorry..." I started, grabbing Jongdae's attention. "It was Baekhyun."

Ridges appeared on his forehead. "What do you mean?"

A palm found my mouth and I just cried. "I don't know why, he said he was the one who took those photos." I managed to say in between my sobs. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault."

Jongdae tried to ease me by smiling wit assurance as he stepped closer and takes my hand in his. "Why do you think that it's your fault?"

"I'm the one who's handling Baekhyun, he's my responsibility." I couldn't bring my eyes to look at him, too humiliated to stand in front of him as Baekhyun's manager. "I don't want you to be excluded in We Are One. You are supposed to tell your fans after the show ends." I wailed.

"Hey," he pulls me closer for a hug, one hand coming up to the back of my head and gave it a gentle caress. "I will make sure that I'm staying for We Are One, okay? Don't cry."

For the past days while Baekhyun and I are still in the middle of a fight, I spend mostly of my time with Jongdae's family in their home. It's either I'm catching up with him, have a nice cup of tea and conversation with his soon-to-be wife, or looking after their months old baby girl.

It was relaxing to get away from all those manager things I usually do everyday and each of them has their own way of relieving my stress. Also, by spending my time with them, I receive lessons and insights about being in a relationship and about family that I can use once it's my turn to step a foot on that stage of my life.

Which is why this family is special to me and I have to protect each and one of them. Baekhyun really had to ruin everything and its reason is something that I have to find out.

As soon as I reached the apartment building, I went straight to his unit, and barged in without a notice. Baekhyun was pacing around the the living room while biting on his fingertips, he briskly moves his eyes to me marching towards him.

I had my hand upraised, too sure he's about to receive the second slap he'll get from me. But my mind instantly changed when he shut his eyes close and pursed his lips, anticipating for it instead of avoiding it. My hand shakily curled into a tight fist, nails digging painfully on my palm. Rather than a slap, I ended up hitting my fist on his chest.

"Answer me," I heaved out. "Why did you do that?!"

"Do it, hit me." he says, seemingly unfazed and his eyes remained close.

That only fueled the anger in me. "I could slap some senses in you later, depending on the reason why you did that. Now answer me." still no response, my fist found his chest once again. "Answer me!"

"I was jealous, Y/n!" he finally peeled his eyes open, there were tears in them. His lips then quivered as he kept his gaze on me and looking like he still wanted to say something but he couldn't bring them into words.

I was breathing deeply, not knowing what to say. He was jealous of what? Charts? Jongdae does better than him in music charts. That's not what his teary eyes are telling me and I somehow have any clue what he's trying to convey through them and his shuddering breath.

But instead of reading further, I chose to shake my thoughts away and glared at him. "If something happens to the family, I won't stay still." I didn't give him the chance to speak and just stomped my way out of his apartment.

----

As much as I don't want to be an irresponsible manager to let Baekhyun to go his schedules alone, I couldn't stand being in the same place as him at the moment. I want him to realize what he did and apologize to Jongdae and his family, maybe admit to his wrongdoing to make it better.

I woke up a little late, giving me another excuse not to leave my bed and get ready for whatever schedule Baekhyun has for today. I actually don't know if he has any, I lost track of his activities to accomplish because of the chaos he caused.

I was just about to push myself up when the bedroom door gently swung open. Good thing I'm facing away from its direction to make it seem like I'm still asleep and just had to close my eyes, though that didn't stop him from entering the room and his presence was soon felt behind me.

Baekhyun lifts my blanket to cover my shoulders, then he sighs. I can't hear any footsteps to tell if he had left the room, so I laid still and tried to get my breathing normal.

"I'm sorry." it took few seconds before I heard faint steps and the door creaking.

"I don't think you're supposed to say that to me." I sat up, restraining myself to turn my body just to look at him when he gasped.

"I'm apologizing to you first." that's when I tilted my head to see him walking back inside. "Then we'll go to Jongdae together."

I never looked at his direction even when I'm seated beside him in the car, my were arms folded across my chest and eyes were gazing outside the window. He was stealing glances at me and would try to open his mouth, but I refused to acknowledge his need of a conversation until we reach Jongdae's house.

I was the one who rang the doorbell while Baekhyun stood behind me. The gate opened and Jongdae appears with a tired smile. "Y/n."

"I brought someone with me." I stepped aside to show Baekhyun and Jongdae's smile immediately dropped upon seeing him.

I don't know how we peacefully found ourselves settled in the living room when Jongdae looked like he's about to confront Baekhyun the second he saw him. We sat on our seats, head hanging low and all of us not knowing how to start discussing the matter. I guess we're still waiting for Jongdae's girlfriend since she's a part of this and Baekhyun told me he's apologizing to the both of them.

Soon, she went down to join us. "Y/n, do you want to look after the baby? She's awake upstairs."

"Of course." I immediately left my seat as I understand that this is something they want to talk about without me, although I'm Baekhyun's manager.

I heard Jongdae calmly starting the conversation as I proceeded upstairs to where the nursery was. Entering the baby's room seemed to wash all the problems I have been thinking lately, I tiptoed towards the crib and saw that the baby really is awake, wriggling and on her fist.

"Hey, princess." I cooed as I took her in my arms and swayed my way towards the glider, sat on it and then rocked the chair. "You should be asleep right now."

She's one of the reasons why I come over here when things aren't good with Baekhyun these past few days. She takes my mind off from what makes me feel frustrated and will make me think only of what song to sing for her or how should I cradle her to sleep.

I did not realize how long I have been seated on the glider with the baby still in my arms and wide awake. As expected, I lost track of the time while I admire her beauty and talking to her as if she could answer me and my questions. A knock made us both flinch out of shock and Jongdae whispered an apology as he stepped into the room.

"Baekhyun apologized, we forgave him and I'm not telling Junmyeon hyung that he was the one who took those photos."

"Just like that?" disbelief was evident in my voice. "Dae, he took photos of you and your family! This is not the right time for you be softhearted. How could you let him slide just like that?"

"To make sure everything we have planned for We Are One will be the same, like what you always wanted." he stands in front of me and leaned down to sweetly caress his daughter's cheek. "I know Junmyeon hyung, defaming his artist is another story. If I were to tell him that it was Baekhyun, he's definitely suing him as if they're not friends. That will make things complicated and one of them has to be withdrawn from the show to avoid fight."

Jongdae could have sued Baekhyun himself, but his soft heart thought of me instead. He knows it will be a big problem to me if Junmyeon finds out that it was my artist who took those photos and if he decided to file a lawsuit against Baekhyun. It will surely reach the media and Baekhyun will publicly go out as a stalker or whatever people wanted to call that. I will be blamed for that, where was I when he was out there and discovered Jongdae's secret unintentionally?

Earlier on our way here, though I made it seem like I'm not listening or interested to listen either, Baekhyun told me how he find out about Jongdae. He actually didn't have any intentions to do that. After managing to track down where I spend most of my time with Jongdae, he went to see the place and check if it's a safe neighborhood for me to hangout with an idol. Knowing sometimes I get too careless like those times we got into several rumors.

I fully understand why he did that, I'm now aware of what's running in his mind for him to be pushed to do such thing. But that doesn't mean this is something to be forgiven so easily and I'll give in just because of it.

With sad eyes, I looked down on the baby. "I don't want something like that to happen to Baekhyun... I'm just mad, I don't know what I'm thinking or saying." I let out an exasperated sigh. "But are you sure it's fine? I mean, you're the one who's supposed to tell your fans about them."

"What's done, is done. They're bound to know it anyway. What Baekhyun did somehow helped me to see those who are willing to listen to my songs until the end." he moves a little higher, just to plant a kiss on the crown of my head. "Don't worry, I'm not really mad right now. I have forgiven him wholeheartedly, for you and for us all."

"Thank you, Jongdae."

Jongdae pats my head before walking back to the door. He twirls around when he remembered something. "We're going to JM Entertainment, is it going to be fine if we leave our baby to you two?"

"You know me." I smiled at him.

Once Jongdae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter