Chapter 14

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

This feels like my Dad confiscating my phone because I did not make my bed. I was in the kitchen spacing out, arms and one side of my face resting on the countertop while making weird annoying sounds just because I'm so bored.

I still haven't had my phone back since yesterday's episode of fighting Baekhyun. Just because he's the one who bought it doesn't mean he could just take it away from me anytime he wants! He already gave it to me, it's mine now and that alone should imply that he's no longer responsible with it as it was my possession.

My phone contains the schedules Baekhyun will have to attend for today and for the rest of the week. It's not with me so he'll have to go to them on his own while I get to rest in home and will still be paid. Well, I guess Baekhyun confiscating my phone is a good idea afterall.

I'm still bored though.

Still making weird noises out of boredom, the thought of attending a costume party with Sehun suddenly came into my mind. Right! I still haven't decided what will I be for the party. Excitement filled me as I sat erect and grinned in an idiotic manner, that's how I looked like just in time when my sister walked into the kitchen with a fancy-looking box in her hands.

"For you." she placed the box on the counter, in front of me. "Found that outside and it has your name so it's really for you."

I took the box in between my hands and proceeded to shake it, like how those kids I've seen from cartoons do. The box has a ribbon wrapped around it to keep its cover in place. I started pulling one end of it and soon after it was off the box, I lifted up the cover and what I saw made me gasp in surprise.

"My baby!" I snatched the thing out of the box and raised it up in the air, then dancing around happily accompanied by dramatic singing.

"Wait, your phone hasn't been with you all this time?" my sister asked as her brows furrowed in confusion. "Why would someone have your own phone as a gift?"

"It's not a gift," I paused to kiss my phone screen out of pure bliss. "Someone took this away from me and finally had decided to give it back." now that I think about it, if the box containing my phone was found outside, then Baekhyun dropped this off earlier this day? How charming.

Ha! He must've had a hard time unlocking this to see his schedules himself, I thought to myself and turned the phone on. It was fully charged and that's amusing since I was confident that Baekhyun wouldn't even mind charging this for me after how we screamed at each other yesterday. I never even thought he'd return this and I was close to buying another one for myself.

I checked the notes where I listed the schedules and saw that he will have a fansign for later today. "I have to get ready."

"Where are you going?"

I stared back at my sister and gave her a knowing look. "To the one I'm babysitting, Baekhyun, duh?" my job actually didn't feel like I'm a manager of an idol but babysitting a rude kid who throws tantrums all the time that's why the parents hired someone to look after him instead.

"Wait, before you go make sure to bring this with you." she took something from the fridge to which I identified as lunch boxes. "Mom made something for him and she'd be really glad to know if he liked it."

I threw my head back and whined, "Why does she have to fix lunch for that man? We're not in good terms and the next thing I do is give him lunch which my very own mom made?"

"She just thought Baekhyun missed homemade foods since she knew he doesn't live with his parents because of his job." my sister walked up to me, placing both of her hands on my shoulders and turn me around then push me out of the kitchen. "Don't be such a baby and go give it to him."

After getting ready, I was contemplating if I should leave or not. Standing in front of the mirror, I stared at my own reflection and then down to my unsent message for Baekhyun. I don't think I can face him after yesterday, I raised my voice out of anger but now that I've slept on it and had my mind refreshed, I kinda felt sorry for yelling at him.

"I can't show up unannounced." convinced myself, nodding my head to agree with myself either. "Right, you can just drop the lunch off and go to SM first." before I could change my mind, I pressed the send button.

You:
Schedule for today: fansign (5:00-6:30 PM)

You:
I'm coming over to drop off some lunch.

It was marked that he had read the message just few seconds after it was sent. A reply soon followed.

Barkhyun 🐶:
I'll be in the bathroom.

I took one last glance on the bag containing the lunchboxes and scanned the little note I sticked on it. He better like this or else.

----

I arrived at his apartment and punched his door password without any second thoughts. The door opened, I walked into his place carefully not to make any sound and stopped after few steps as my eyes roamed around the place. I just want to make sure he's not around, I still don't want to see him—actually it's because I don't know how to act around him.

I could hear the sound of the faucet running coming from the bathroom so I guess he's still getting ready for later's activity. My gaze flew straight to the way towards the kitchen and took deep breaths before doing a run as if I'm being chased by murderer.

Reaching the counter, I quickly placed the bag of lunch and make sure the note is showing. When the bathroom turns quiet, I started panicking, bewildered if I should run or hide until he gets inside his room and that's when I'd escape. Just when I've decided to choose the former, he shows up from the bathroom door.

I was frozen while on a running pose. "I was just about to leave." I cleared my throat and fixed my posture. "I'll be at SM to help settle things for your fansign later. Don't be late." with my head held high, I twirled myself and started walking out of the kitchen.

"By the way," I halted once I reached the doorway and tilted my head to the side to glance at him. "My mom made the lunch. I hope you'd like it since she thought about you while making them. I'll be going." and I did a little bow, continuing on my way without waiting for his answer.

When I reached SM, there were fans and fansite masters waiting outside the building. Inside, staffs were busy fixing the venue for today's fansign so I decided to help them. From lifting the table to use and hanging up banners and stage designs. I kept myself busy for didn't want to feel bored while waiting for Baekhyun and for the event to start.

I came across a staff who was in charge of the lights. The situation days ago came flashing back in my mind. "Please make sure the lights won't fall." I told the staff with a smile and he cheerfully responded with a salute.

"You're doing great in there, manager-nim."

Ridges appeared on my forehead when I heard that voice. I twisted myself and saw Jian smiling at me, holding out a cup of iced americano. What is she doing here? Instead of greeting her back, I kept my mouth shut and never moved a muscle to accept her offer.

"I thought you'd like iced americano since Baekhyun once told me he saw you drinking one." she slowly pulled her hand back, obviously awkward that I didn't accepted the drink. "I'll go buy with what drink you like."

"Oh, no thanks. I like iced americano." I did a little gesture to encourage her on giving me the said drink so she did. "It was just surprising to see you here."

"I thought I should help setting the venue since I'm free anyway." we started heading towards the backstage. "Baekhyun didn't know I was here."

"But aren't you in a girl group who just debuted? Why are you around Baekhyun so much that you seemed to never had your own schedules as an idol." I didn't mean to sound rather annoyed but that question has been in my mind lately and her, talking about Baekhyun when I'm not even mentioning him is making me feel irritated.

Jian beams and looks at me—a look that one could tell she pitied someone. "You see, our debut wasn't that successful. Our group had a hard time charting and selling our albums despite doing the best as we can." she looks down on her cup of drink and pursed her lips for a second before continuing. "That's obviously not impressive so our management isn't treating us so well and never had anything for our group that's why I'm mostly free." then she shrugged as if she's just used to that kind of situation. So the pitiful look she gave me was for herself and probably for her group.

I suddenly felt sorry for her.

"I'm trying to be on your side, Y/n-ssi." she looks at me, the pity in her eyes has altered into cheerful. "I realized that I never showed a proper first impression for you. If I can't get an impressive impression from you, how much from the public? I guess that's why I really wasn't successful with my debut."

Ugh! Now she's making me feel bad for cursing at her every time she comes across my mind! Why do I have to have a soft heart when people are being like this?

"But you're talented." she shifted her gaze at me, I blinked in response. "I mean, I was at your debut stage and you had the voice and dancing skills." man, I at comforting others.

"Thank you. Except from my fans, you're the first one who said that to me."

Why me? Baekhyun never complimented you? I asked her through my own mind as my eyes wandered around the backstage.

"You might be asking, but Baekhyun had never told me those. He isn't just good at complimenting others even if he knows something good about them." Jian chuckles.

I nearly laughed at that while I looked back to the times I spent with Baekhyun to find some at least the most beautiful words he had told me and make myself feel better because that could mean I'm one step ahead of her. Instead, the words I found were crybaby, thief, scaredy cat, lame.

Nevermind.

I didn't know what to respond to that so I remained quiet and casted my eyes to the way that leads to the dressing room, immediately seeing Baekhyun approaching us. When he saw Jian, his eyes widened in surprise and scurried his way towards her with his arms spread. I had to step back, knowing I'm not the highlighted person his eyes are seeing.

He was about to greet her with a hug but she holds a palm up. "Nope. Not with staffs around us."

"Okie." he beams like an excited kid and even jumped a little. It was until his eyes found me when his smile dropped and he looks at me as if I'm not welcomed in this place.

Jian must've seen the way his expression changed and smacked him in the arm. "Yah Baekyoongie! Don't be like that, she's your manager."

"But she's annoying!" he whines, stomping his feet like a child who's about to throw a fit.

I stood behind Jian and bent my body to the side to show a bit of myself to Baekhyun, only to teasingly stick a tongue out at him. He shot me a glare before turning around and making his way back into the dressing room.

"I'm sorry about that. I heard about what Baekhyun did, hoping to bring me back as his manager." Jian shuffles to look at me. "He was acting like that and treated you bad because of me so I'm apologizing in behalf of him."

"It's fine, I got a hang of his rude attitude anyway." I waved a hand as I said those as if I have been comfortable with her around. When I realized what I said, my eyes slightly widened. "I mean... I got used to his y-you know? Hehe." it was followed by an awkward, forced smile.

Jian opens and was about to speak when she was interrupted by her phone suddenly ringing. "Give me a second." and she pulls the device out of her pocket to check. "Oh my gosh." she gasped, excitement draws into her face.

"What is it?"

"My group is suddenly sent into a variety show appearance!" she happily answers, jumping a little bit with her other hand fanning her teary eyes. "I need to go. We need to practice some performance to showcase." Jian hurriedly turns around to leave.

"W-wait, aren't you going to tell Baekhyun you're leaving?"

Jian stops, facing me with her palms pressed together and her eyes sparkling. "Please tell him, I really need to hurry." she beams for the last time and next thing I knew, she's gone.

I was left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter