Chapter 15

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

There was a time I thought I could light Baekhyun up when things were dark for him. So he wouldn't wander around in the darkness for so long, so he wouldn't be in despair. That's why I never thought of quitting this job as his manager even after knowing how his lost turned him into, in hopes to bring his light back and make him a happy person once again. When I made him laugh for the first time, I thought I could be that person... At least I tried.

But Jian, has always been Baekhyun's light. I hate to admit that I'm utterly jealous over that fact, but I have to face the truth. The one that makes Baekhyun smile, has always been her. She brought him love and lightened up his life with everything that he liked about her. When Jian was taken away from Baekhyun, that's when everything went south for him. His life suddenly was dull and cold. It was as if only winter and darkness follows him while everyone around were experiencing different kinds of weather and colors of light.

Watching your loved one wandering in the darkness and enduring the cold alone. Someone needs to shine a light for him and warm him up. And that someone is not going to be me. When I realized that, I was indeed in despair. But with my unconditional love for Baekhyun, I'm in more despair seeing him sad and had to accept hatred just because he lost his light.

"Make sure he never meets her."

I was ready to give up my love just so I could see Baekhyun smile again, all the time. But seems like it is not what fate wants to happen.

"But Baekhyun has been in the industry for four years now. Why can't he date yet?"

Sooman looks away, sighing audibly as he thought of words to answer my question. "His dating ban will be lifted once he turns five years under this company. It's in the contract and he clearly knew about it."

No, I'll convince him till he agrees and the moment he does, I'll do my best to cover up for both Jian and Baekhyun. "Baekhyun is drowned with schedules which makes him physically tired, which also makes him feel lonely. Don't you think he need-"

"Y/n," Sooman scooted closer to his desk so he could prop his elbows on it, intertwine his hands together then rest his chin on them. I gulped down the lump on my throat while thinking of new words just to encourage him. He looks at me knowingly and spoke, "You're going to be really persistent about convincing me to allow Baekhyun to date, am I right?"

I pressed my lips for a thin line and looked down before doing a little nod. "I'm looking after him as if he's a kid that needs to be taken care of. That being said, I wanted him to be joyful all the time."

"And you think Jian really loves Baekhyun?" Sooman had that confident look on his face as his eyes stilled on my sad one. "Let me tell you something that may change your mind and that goal of yours."

----

I marched my way out of the office, huffing. As soon as the door closed I stilled and tried to get my breathing back to its normal pace before I found myself laughing in an offended way.

Ever since I took this damn job, I've been in a rollercoaster of emotions. At first I was in love with Baekhyun and then sad upon knowing what kind of person he really is offstage and mad because of how he treats me and then feeling the need to annoy and fight him back to show him that I'm not weak. When Jian came back, I was sad knowing that he likes her and jealous because she's his former manager who did her job way better than I do (according to Baekhyun himself) and few moments I felt angry that I want to split them apart and then feel sorry for their seemingly tragic love story of being parted years ago that I'm willing to give up my love for Baekhyun just to see him be genuinely good to me.

What's awaiting for me ahead this rollercoaster now that I currently feel really betrayed? What emotions will I feel for the next moments of this ride?

She played—manipulated my emotions so well that I think I'll develop an instant trust issue if she's going to be around me.

My fists clenched and I started walking away from my previous spot, glaring at who or whatever I see on my way. Sooman's voice could be heard inside my head, saying the same thing he told me awhile ago that caused my anger. Once outside SM, I stood still, taking deep breaths to calm myself down and restrain myself from screaming out of frustration.

On my way home, I dialed Chanyeol's number after doing a few researches about something. Good thing he answered almost instantly. "What's up, Y/n?"

"Hey, Channie. I was wondering if you could help me using your friendliness and connections."

Chanyeol hums from the other line. "Sure! As long as it's for a good cause and will not put me and my career into danger."

"It's for a good cause." I chuckled. "I will just send you what you have to do and that's it."

Right after the call ended, I sent a message to Chanyeol and then relaxed against the backrest of the seat, sighing. What Sooman told me earlier started invading my head, making my blood boil when I've calmed down after that little conversation I had with Chanyeol. My teeth gritted and my fists tightened, not until my phone beeped. A message from Chanyeol came and he got what I asked.

It was a phone number of someone he doesn't even know but easily acquired it because of his connections. For the first time in my life, I felt smart for making use of those that surrounds me.

I called the unknown number and took few rings before it was picked up. "Hello?"

"Is this Kang Jian's manager?" I

"Uh... Yes. How did-"

"I'd like to inform you that your artist has been going out to meet someone please do your job right to prevent scandals. Didn't her group just debuted literally weeks ago?" I threw a leg over the other and leaned against the backrest, eyes then gazing at the rearview mirror to stare at the taxi driver who looks intimidated to the way I spoke. "Good thing I reached out to you first and not straight to your CEO or he'll know you're not doing your job properly." I ended the call before he could have the chance to answer.

Incase he won't believe in my words, I sent him some pictures I got from Sooman earlier. I didn't want to see his reply so I put my phone back inside my pocket and just in time, the vehicle stopped; I reached home.

Sleep has always been my go-to whenever I'm upset. It is what helps me not to stay mad over something (petty or not) for long so I didn't have to affect whoever surrounds me. But the sun's still up so I can't—or more like I shouldn't sleep.

I went into my bedroom and threw my phone on the bed and proceed to changing my clothes. Right in the middle of putting on my shirt, my phone resounded, letting me know that a notification from some apps just came in. When I checked, it was from twitter. Baekhyun has a new tweet.

Seeing his name reminds me of my anger but was immediately washed away when it dawn into me that he's innocent and only blinded by what his heart makes him feel at the moment. I wanted to tell him everything as I still couldn't understand how keeping it from him makes things easy according to Sooman.

I clicked the notification tab and that led me to his latest tweet saying that he wanted to eat something and telling his fans to eat their meals for today. Under that post were comments that if he want to eat then he should feel free to eat, they were almost the same and he's replying to them which doesn't excite me anymore since we physically interact now unlike in the past. I just thought of checking on him while he still didn't know that Jian's not allowed to meet him anymore.

B_hundred_Hyun:
I want to eat foods that I crave but I can't. I still have to film tomorrow.

That reminded me of his upcoming schedules. He still does have to film a CF for tomorrow but I don't remember someone or myself telling him to not eat. I exited twitter and went to text him.

You:
Eat.

Barkhyun 🐶:
???

What a cold-hearted... Oh, right. I should understand him. Tomorrow or maybe later, I'd be the person he'll hate the most not knowing that what I did is all for him.

You:
You said you want to eat pizza, then go.

Barkhyun 🐶:
How did you know?

You:
Baekhyun, I'm your manager. I have to be updated about you whether we're together or not. I guess that explains that I have a twitter account to check on you?

Barkhyun 🐶:
😒

Now that I know everything, I just found the perfect reason to stay in this job. Not only I'd successfully play my role as his manager but I'll also be able to do what I've been dying to do as his fangirl; protect him from everything that'll break him. I have that goal from the very start and even when he's going to resent me from making that goal happen, I'd stand still and wholeheartedly protect him.

Because that's what my man deserves

----

I was helping my mom fix some packed breakfast that I'm going to drop off for Baekhyun later. I ought to leave the house early for today although the filming will be around afternoon. I'm meeting someone and since I k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter