Chapter 38

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

Before getting off the plane, I had to make sure Baekhyun wore his disguise properly incase there are fans around the place or were with us in the flight. We were greeted by my dad at the waiting area and I ran towards him, leaving Baekhyun to take care of our suitcases.

"Dad," I threw my arms around him for a quick hug. "How's grandma?"

"She's breathing fine but still unconscious." he cracks an assuring smile for me, then changing his expression into a serious one when he looks at Baekhyun. "You're here." he deadpanned.

"Yeah, I just thought, uh... Y/n needs a company." Baekhyun stuttered, but nonetheless tried to be composed as possible.

"I guess you're now treating her right?" he raised his eyebrows. "You told us you're not showing up to a concert just to accompany her."

We stared at each other with our eyes slightly widening, I was not sure how to react to that, while Baekhyun didn't know what to say.

But then confidence suddenly filled his eyes, like he just found the perfect answer to his question. He proudly looks at my father and answered, "She was there when I was having a tough time, I thought of doing the same." he gazes back at me, and dad nods in satisfaction to Baekhyun's answer.

What is this cheesy feeling? It's like a swirling sensation in my stomach. I cleared my throat to get their attention. "Can we just leave? We still have a long way to go."

"Wait, your mom just went to the bathroom."

I gasped. "Mom's here too?" and I left them behind to find the airport's bathroom and see my mom.

She just got out when I'm halfway through reaching the area, I rushed towards her and greeted her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Baekhyun's here." she smiled at him. Even when his face is covered with mask and his cap lowered so no one recognizes his eyes, I must've gotten my mom accustomed to his features because of the posters around my room before.

And she finally called him Baekhyun.

"I hope Y/n wasn't a handful to you all the way here?" her voice was obviously teasing as she wiggled her brows at him.

"Not at all." Baekhyun casually responded, beaming at her gently.

I huffed in secret and rolled my eyes. If only she knows that it's the other way around, considering that Baekhyun was close to walking out of the plane with his face uncovered. According to him, he couldn't breathe with the mask on and can't see the way clearly if he was to wear the cap. I had to pretend ignoring him just to convince him into wearing his disguise and it took a lot of time and effort for him to realize that.

"At least I know my daughter is in good hands." she gives me a knowing look.

"Mom!" I whined. She lightly taps Baekhyun on his shoulder as they both laugh at my betrayed face. He's more relaxed around my mom compared to my dad, who obviously didn't like him a bit.

We got into the car that will take us to my grandma's house, which is two hours away from the city. I was told that she insisted to stay in that house, so they got her room renovated from a normal bedroom to what a hospital room would be like, with all the things and equipment she needed to breathe and stay alive. And she even have her own personal doctor and nurses to stay with her incase something will happen, just like that previous cardiac arrest she had.

Baekhyun and I were on the backseat, quietly listening to my parents' conversation. When I glanced at him, he was trying to look like he understood what they're talking about when it's in an entirely different language that he never speak. His eyes narrowed and lips slightly puckered.

"You tried." I chuckled silently.

"I understand a thing."

I lifted one eyebrow up in a teasing manner. "Yeah? Tell me what they're talking about."

He gives me an arrogant look but that didn't last long when his eyes caught something from ahead of us. Baekhyun lowered his gaze as he scooted away from me to draw a greater distance in between us. Now he's quietly looking outside the window instead of firing back at me like the usual, just to put me on my place for teasing him.

Confused by his sudden change of attitude, I checked where he was eyeing and saw nothing but the rearview mirror and my dad's eyes reflecting on it, staring straight at the road.

"Oy," I reached out to poke his arm and he stiffened on his seat, still refusing to look at me. "Fight me!" I want him to argue with me, I don't want to feel bored all throughout the entire journey.

"I'm exhausted from the flight, Y/n." he glances at the rearview once more and then back to the window. That's when I realize that dad's watching us.

Since I can't sleep, I thought of bothering him but it seems like he doesn't want my dad to dislike him even more by fighting with me. Baekhyun gave him an inappropriate first impression, which I guess is the reason why dad is trying to intimidate him. And now that he's around, he must have thought that I just gained the power that can put Baekhyun into his place and prevent him from hurting me, and it was his mere presence.

I curled the edges of my lips downward. "Okay, go to sleep then." I turned to my side of the window and stared outside, hoping to fall asleep by watching the trees passing by.

----

"We're here."

As soon as the car stopped, I wasted no time in opening the door and jump out of the vehicle, then running towards the house. The first thing I saw were my cousins at the balcony, happily conversing like how we used to when we're gathered around here. I waved a hand and scream my way to them.

"Y/n-ah!"

"Hello!" I couldn't help but giggle in happiness, as it has been a long time since I saw my cousins after moving to Korea. "Long time no see!"

And we started talking all together, exuberant with this reunion after years of not seeing each other. I was so immersed in our conversation and answering each of my cousins' questions about my life in Korea, I hadn't noticed that my parents had passed by to go inside and left Baekhyun standing outside the house, too shy, lost, and amazed all at once.

It was until one of my cousins gasped and rapidly taps on my shoulder. "Isn't that... Baekhyun? You brought him with you?" she pointed a finger at him and that caught his attention from checking the flowers surrounding the house when he looks at me.

"Oh, I totally forgot about my baby." I joked, a chuckle following after. I described to them that my job as Baekhyun's manager is like babysitting. So, Baekhyun basically has the baby role, thus, allowing me to call him to that in front of them.

"Baek?" he turns to me. "Come and meet my cousins."

He nods and tails behind me all the way back inside the house.

"This is Baekhyun by the way." I did an introducing gesture and my cousins responded with muttered greetings to him.

I noticed that Baekhyun wasn't answering, that's when I realize that he couldn't understand a single thing. He remained twinkling his eyes a them, not knowing how or what to respond to their greeting.

"Baek, I'm introducing you to them."

He flinched. "Ah, hi... I'm Baekhyun." and he bowed slightly. "Y/n is my manager." they squealed to that, few of them smacking my shoulder teasingly, whispering how cute he was.

My face scrunched up and my hands curled on my sides, fighting the urge to pinch his cheeks for being unbelievably adorable. "They know that."

"Anyway, do you want to see grandma?"

"We'd love to."

We were guided to her room and after reaching the door, my excitement suddenly turned into something that's making my heart clench inside my chest. The last time I saw my grandmother, she was fine and has all the energy to tend to her garden and walk me to school everyday. Now, I'm going to see her laying on the bed and couldn't move that much.

I sighed, hesitation slowly rising in me that I almost thought of running away instead of opening the door. I think can't take it seeing her so weak compared to the last time. That was until I felt a slight pull on my shirt from behind. When I tilted my head, Baekhyun was smiling at me, encouraging me without using a word to do so. And it was effective.

"Do you want to see her with me?"

Widening his smile a bit more, he nods to answer and my hand slid down to take his hand in mine, while the other one finally opens the door.

My heart instantly sank the moment I saw my grandmother peacefully sleeping, with wires or what attached to her body, there were beeping sounds coming from the monitor. Hearing my deep sigh as soon as we're standing beside the the bed, Baekhyun wraps an arm around my upper back to pull me closer until I'm pressing against him, then rubbing my upper arm as an attempt to soothe me.

"Thank you," I whispered, leaning my head to rest on his shoulder without taking my eyes off of my grandmother's peaceful sleeping visage. Baekhyun didn't answer me, but he stopped rubbing my arm to gently squeeze it, and a kiss on the very top of my head was next.

Later that night, my mom led us to the bedroom I used to occupy in the house. She literally pushed me and Baekhyun inside the room, our things were already there and the bed has been made. Of course there will be someone sleeping on the floor. Does she really want her daughter to sleep in the same room with a man? I understand that the house didn't have enough room since the doctor and nurses are staying but I could join them in their room.

"Since you brought Baekhyun with you, you shouldn't leave him alone."

I huffed. "I didn't 'brought' him with me, he was the one who tagged along."

"Whatever! You know that there's no enough room in this house, we have to maximize the space of this one." she peeks at Baekhyun and widely smiles at him, he could only blink his eyes and smile back as he can't understand a thing she's saying. "Besides, you two aren't sleeping in the bed, one of you has to be on the floor. Why making such big fuss over being in the same room when you literally have spent a night at his place?"

"Mom-" before I could finish whining, she had stepped back and shut the door into my face. "You can't do this to me..." my voice trailed off as I dramatically slide down my palm that was pressing on the door.

I twirled around with my hands now on my hips. "Since you are the visitor, take the bed."

"It's your house, take the bed." he fires back.

Knowing how stubborn he is, he's probably firm with his decision on letting me have the bed for myself. I cocked my head to the side and squinted my eyes at the sight of my spacious bed to figure out how to solve the problem without quarreling.

"How about we both sleep on the bed?"

Baekhyun's eyes bulged. "What?"

"There will be pillows in between us! I just thought of it since it's really a big bed and I don't want you to sleep on the floor." I avoided his gaze when I felt my cheeks getting hot. "What were you thinking? I'm just taking care of you like how a fan would."

We spend a while awkwardly standing, unwilling to spare each other even a quick glance until the atmosphere had thicken. But we soon found ourselves laying down on our perspective side of the bed after placing the pillows serving as our barrier.

I was laying on my back, eyes wide open to stare at the ceiling above when Baekhyun started. "How is this your bedroom by the way? I don't think you'd sleep here alone when you were younger."

"My cousins and I used to squish ourselves in this bed." I laughed at the memory flashing by in my head. "It's coined as my room since I am the one who mostly visit my grandparents in here."

"Tell me more," the sheets shuffled from Baekhyun's side as he moved.

So I turned to face him (the pillow barriers) and rested my head on my pressed hands. "Tell you what?"

"About your childhood. I like it when you tell me stories about you."

My lips stretched themselves for a smile when I caught a glimpse of his eye staring at me from the smallest hole I found in the barrier.

----

The pillows had been kicked out of the bed once I woke up and I'm kind of rotated to the side, one of my legs rising up and then down. When pushed my upper body up to see why, that's when I saw that I had one leg on Baekhyun's abdomen. My eyes went up to his face and he peeled open his own pair just in time.

"I'm sorry..." I quick pulled my leg off him and sat up.

He mirrors my action and I couldn't he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter