Chapter 43

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

We're currently at the reception after the wedding. Everyone's scattering around the place, having fun while congratulating the newlyweds. Jongdae and his wife would personally walk up to each table and thank the guests for making time just to see them wed.

They're all celebrating and stuff, while I remain seated and watch them interact with one another, sighing nonstop. SeChan, Kyungsoo, Lay, Suho, Minseok, and Kai are the reason why the whole place is having a heavenly music people can dance into, for being the wedding singers as Jongdae's request. If only Baekhyun's here, the We Are One boys would be complete and I can finally see him sing in a wedding.

After their one last romantic song, the boys stepped down of the stage to join the fun. I was the first person Sehun had to see and immediately approached my table.

"You look so lonely." he commented with a smile before offering a hand. "Do you wanna dance?"

"Sure." I accepted it. But even before he could pull me up, someone grabbed my other hand.

"I want to dance too with you, too." Chanyeol then held Sehun's other hand and they stared at each other with their eyes narrowing, looking like they're about to do something embarrassing and they're definitely including me to whatever it is.

"What are you two thinking?"

A nod of their heads followed, it was a cue. I yelped when they pulled me towards the dance floor with all our hands linked. That's when I understand what's going on as we started spinning in the middle of everyone and screaming like we're performing a ritual to summon something or someone. It's lifting up my mood and now I'm a giggling mess with Sehun and Chanyeol.

"This is a dance!" Chanyeol exclaims, holding on to my hand a little tighter to make sure I won't slip away. I felt Sehun's grip on my other hand got stronger.

"Waaaaah!" we screamed altogether, spinning around faster than before.

"Having so much fun?"

We ended our 'dance' bursting out laughing as we turned to Jongdae. "Yup, so much fun." I answered. "We're not ruining your wedding for this, right?"

"No. Absolutely no. As long as I see you guys enjoying your time here, everything's fine." he confusedly eyed our intertwined hands and asked, "where's Baekhyun?"

"He has a photoshoot and told me that he doesn't have the face to show, considering that he's the reason why you need to push the wedding as soon as possible."

"Ah wae?" Jongdae whines, stomping his feet like a kid. "How many times do I have to tell him that I have wholeheartedly forgiven him?"

I was just about to answer Jongdae when Chanyeol's manager came to join the conversation. "Sehun, Chanyeol, we need to go. You still have a flight to catch."

"But we're dancing with Y/n."

"You have schedules, it must be important." I let their hands go and gave them an assuring smile.

"Let me show you out." Jongdae beckons to follow him and he leads us to the venue's parking lot.

Seeing SeChan's van reminded me of something. "Wait! I forgot that I went here with you, how am I supposed to go home now?"

"You can go with Kyungsoo hyung, you're pretty close with his manager as what I could remember." Sehun pats my head. "Tell Baekhyun hyung we're sorry we couldn't keep our words to bring you home, we forgot about this."

"It's fine." I gestured for him to go inside the van so they could leave already.

Jongdae and I were left watching them leave the place. As soon as their van took a turn, completely disappearing from our sights, panic seeps into me. This is it, the time for the closure my heart deserve. I'd awkwardly steal glances at Jongdae, wondering how to start the conversation.

"You have something to say?"

I looked at him. "Huh?"

"You do that when you want to say something but doesn't have the courage to start. Stealing glances, I mean." he gently beams at me. "What is it?"

This is one of the reasons why I fell in love with him. He can figure me out, read through me when I can't seem to find my words, just like the day we met and I was so lost.

"Uh..." I gulped. "Congratulations on your wedding!" then I grinned wide, spreading my arms up in the air.

"Thank you, Y/n. I'm glad to see you every time I achieve something in my life." he places a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. The moment he let go, I felt my face getting hot. This is why I need the closure now, he still has that effect on me even when I'm in love with Baekhyun.

"So, are you dating Baekhyun now?"

"No! I'm not." I frantically shook my head. "Not yet, I mean. We're still getting to know each other. Not that we do not know each other after working together for months now but we thought of properly starting. You know what I mean?"

"I understand." he chuckles. "The second his expression turned dark when I told him I'm your boy friend, I know there's something in between you two."

I coyly tucked some hair strands behind my ear. "There's nothing in between us at the moment, nothing yet." I pressed my lips together, hesitation taking over me. But I have to go through this or I'll miss the only chance. "Jongdae... Remember when I told you that it only takes three seconds to fall in love?"

"Of course."

"The first time we met... Our eyes locked for three seconds." when I knew I have gathered enough courage, I stared at him and he was looking at me with complacent eyes. I took a deep breath and braced myself. "I have been secretly in love with you. Jongdae, you are my first love."

His gentle expression changed into surprised as his eyelids fluttered.

"I'm telling you this, for Baekhyun." I quickly continued. "He was the one who said that I needed closure for my heart. It has been beating for you, sending reactions that I shouldn't give you when you're around me while I'm in love with someone else. I've been bottling this up, I thought it's time to let this go, now that you have someone to spend the rest of your life with and I have Baekhyun."

"I just want to tell you what I used to feel for you, for not being able to tell you this when there was just the two of us." I tried to pull each sides of my lips for a genuine, grateful smile. "Thank you for not seeing my eyes when I tried to confide my feelings for you through them. Thank you for your negligence to feel that by being there with you all the time, I was silently confessing. Because of those, I was able to meet Baekhyun and have new dreams that I want for my life."

Jongdae exhaled. "Y/n... I was in love with you, too."

It was my turn to give him a surprised look.

"Why do you think I should always be there for you every second of the day? Run to you in a blink of an eye when you call for me?" I covered my mouth with a hand as everything slowly sinks in my head. "It was hard, but I have to let go of you when I passed the audition to be an idol."

"Y/n, I'm sorry." he pulls me for a hug and I leaned into his embrace, having this strange feeling that this is going to be the last time I'm able to held by him like this. Jongdae rested his chin on the crown of my head and tightened his arms around me. "When things were hard, those times when I feel down and unmotivated, you were always there to cheer me up. I'm sorry if I was a coward for not telling you."

I pushed myself away so I could have a look at his face. "No, don't be sorry... This is fine, we're fine, everything is fine."

He glides his fingertips on the side of my face, tucking some hair strands behind my ear along the way. "Still, I want to apologize for hurting you. And I want to thank you for coming into my life to witness every step I take, with your undying support and love to accompany that." his thumbs found my cheeks and gently drew circles on them, that's when I noticed I'm tearing up with our gazes locking. "You are as beautiful as the day we first met. Baekhyun... That jerk, he's so lucky."

I let out breathy laugh and looked down in attempt to hide my reddening cheeks.

"Jongdae-yah?"

He tilts my head up, only to look straight into my eyes before letting go of me. Jongdae flashes his heart-warming smile for the last time as he walked to where his wife was looking for him. Once he turned around to face her, I watched how his hand found the small of her back and guided her inside the venue with a different kind of smile on his face; it was for her. He walks away without looking back at me, simply implying that he had gotten over everything about what his heart had for me in the past. No hints of regret.

That made my heart feel a little light but it's still somewhat hurting. I took deep breaths and stood still on my spot to think about everything, wiping my tears from earlier. I'm honestly still trying to process the words we shared and thinking how things were going if we didn't miss the timing.

But I suddenly got reminded of Baekhyun and felt as if he was with me, eventually pulling me out of my thoughts. His presence is so strong that I can feel him. Maybe it's because I'm longing for him to be here, to see him, and hear him compliment me for my confession.

I went back inside the venue after collecting my thoughts for a minute. Everyone's slow dancing to a romantic song with the newlyweds in the middle of all the couples on the dance floor. I sat back on my previous seat and watch everyone slowly falling deeper in love with their significant others, while I'm all alone and kind of heartbroken.

Jongdae had loving eyes at his wife and a gentle smile that was once and supposed to be for me. I thought, telling him everything will close my heart from hurting when I get reminded that there's no chance for us. But why is it stinging like before? Is there something that I still need to let out aside from my feelings for him that I have been hiding for years?

My thoughts were cut short when someone stood right in front of me, blocking my sight of Jongdae happily dancing his wife. The person offered a hand and before taking it, I looked up to see who it was, only to gasp out of shock.

"Baekhyun?"

"You're too pretty to look sad and lonely." he gives me an encouraging look, gesturing for me to take his hand. "Can we dance?"

I placed my hand on his palm and he pulls that up to his lips to press a kiss on it, before helping me to stand and guiding me towards the dance floor.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter