Payback

Knocked Out

"Are you coming?" 

"No. I need to practice. The performance is tomorrow" said Irene while gathering her things.

"Okay. Do you want me to pick you up later?" asked Jennie which made Irene shook her head.

"I'll manage" 

"Okay. See you tomorrow" 

After hearing lecturer in criminal laws class, Irene decided to practice her dancing before heading back home. Criminal laws class is her last class for today. She still have some time before the campus closed and decided to practice since she doesn't have anywhere to go after this. So practicing might be able to kill time.

For tomorrow performance, she will dance to Solo by Clean Bandit featuring Demi Levato. Her teacher asked her to do a solo performance. She didn't know exactly why her teacher asked her to do so. But she didn't decline the offer though.

She love dancing and performing and maybe this is will be a good opportunity for her to gain her confident. She never show her dancing ability to anyone. She too shy to show it.

But tomorrow will be her first time to perform infront of a lot of people. A bit nerve wrecking and she also can't hide feeling so nervous. What if she do mistakes? People will laugh at her. What if she forget the choreography she had been learning since three months ago? What if everything go unpredictable?

Every kind of posibility keep on ringing in her mind. Even thinking of giving up the opportunity and let somebody else fill in her position. But seriously she can't back away from this. She had taken the offer and it won't be nice for her to step back in the middle of the process. 

After all, the order of the performance might have been arranged long before the due date. So the staff probably won't like it if one of the performance step back when they had finalyze the order. 

Walking towards the practice room in the other side of the building, Irene walk with earphone plug in her ear and listen to the song she will be performing tomorrow. While her mind imagining the choreography.

Once she arrived, she open the practice room door, didn't bother to knock. Usually there is no students practicing at this hour. While the performing arts students prefer to practice in the auditorium. But once she get inside the room, she was surprised to see someone in the room.

The girl wearing a white long sleeves t-shirt and a black tight pants stop what she was doing before looking at Irene from the mirror infornt of her. 

"I-I'm sorry. Usually no one would practice at this hour. I-I'm s-sorry" 

"No, it's okay. I'm done anyway"

Irene bite her bottom lips feeling a bit embarasse for what she had done awhile ago. Then she decided to put her things on the side of the room and take off her glasses and earphone. 

Her eyes can't seems to not staring at the girl who are busy gathering her things in the corner of the room. Irene watch the girl and found out she was the one who saved her a week ago.

"Oh? You're the girl who saved me yesterday" said Irene. She didn't know why she became so frankly to strangers.

"Irene-sshi?" Irene titled her head can't really remember if she had introduced herself to the girl a week ago.

"I heard your friends called your name" the girl explain and Irene nodded.

It become silent for awhile until Irene say,

"I'm sorry for being rude the other days. It just slipped" said Irene. 

"No worries" then silent again.

"Umm...you're going to practice?" asked the girl.

"Yeah. For tomorrow"

"Ah. You're a performing art student?" 

"No. I'm majoring in law and minoring in dancing" the girl nodded.

Feeling the awkwardness between them, the girl decided to step out from the room imidietly but was hold when Irene called.

"Hey. I didn't know your name" 

"Seulgi. Kang Seulgi" 

"Thank you for saving my live, Kang Seulgi" 

Seulgi smile and nodded before she headed out from the room.

~~~

The sound of a coffee machine enliven the quiet cafe. Not many customer inside the cafe since it's 4 pm currently. The cafe always have it's coffee break hour during the afternoon. From 10 to 13, the cafe won't stop serving customers coming in.

Some of the customers bought for take away and sometimes for dine in. Currently there was about ten people in the cafe. Randomly sitting on the chairs and tables in the cafe.

Meanwhile, a short blonde hair girl with an apron tugged around her neck, eyes focus with brewing the coffee for a customer. Didn't notice her best friend has been watching her from inside the kitchen cafe.

"Henry Lim!" said the blonde hair girl, calling the customer's name. 

"Enjoy the coffee"

After giving the order, the blonde girl finally went to the kitchen and soon notice her best friend standing by the kitchen door. Eyes on her. Watching every move she have with a smirk on her face.

"How long have been standing there?" said Wendy with one of her eyesbrow up.

"Just fifteen minutes...I guess" 

"Huh" 

Both of them went inside the kitchen and went to the back door which leads them to an alley. It almost time for Wendy to finish her part time before going home. 

Seulgi on the other hand didn't have shifts today. So she decided to visit Wendy and walk home with her together. The girl had their back leaning against the wall while no one speaking.

They like it. Standing just side by side didn't bother to talk. Like they were talking to each other through silents. Seulgi met Wendy during their time in Junior High School.

Wendy was one of the straight A students in their school. She was assigned to Seulgi for giving her tutor. That's when they got closer and ended up being best friend.

"Your shift is about to end. Aren't you going inside?" 

"Yeah. You came here to pick me up?" Seulgi nodded and Wendy smile as she saw it from the corner of her eyes. 

"Alright. Wait for me"

 

"So you met Bae Irene?" Seulgi nodded.

"She's a law student. No wonder she was saying about privacy matters and I will get charge because I hold her hand without her permission" 

Wendy flinch a little before she burst into laughter. Well, Wendy is correct though. That girl is seriously way worst than Wendy. She never blurted out what she had learnt in performing art school.

But that straight A student surely an original nerd. Literally blurted out the basic laws.

"That was funny. I don't know people like her still exist"

"She's the living proof"

Again it made Wendy laugh and this time Seulgi followed by. 

Currently they are walking down the streets heading to Seulgi's apartment. It took 20 minutes walk from where she and Wendy working. They use to walk like this. Chilling out in the middle of the night, feeling the wind breeze at night. 

They have been doing this ever since they managed to get into college. After Seulgi bought an apartment, Wendy decided to rent one of her room when obviously she didn't have too.

Seulgi have always think of Wendy as her family. But Wendy is just stubborn as hell. She insisted to pay for the room every month. At the end, Seulgi can't do anything and let the girl be.

She didn't say the amount of money Wendy should pay. Seulgi let her best friend pay whatever she want. 

"About tomorrow performing. Are you ready?" asked Wendy.

"Yeah. Irene is going to perform too tomorrow"

"Can't wait to see her" 

"Yeah. I'm curious though. A law student dancing" said Seulgi with a smirk on her face.

"Maybe she's good. Miss Hyoyeon never let untrained and unskilled students to perform in such a big event" 

"True though" 

"So, do you have another fight?" Seulgi nodded.

"Make sure you take a good rest after performing tomorrow. You still have a lot to do in the weekends" 

"Yes mommy" 

Wendy chuckled. 

~~~

"Did you got home safe?" said Jennie from the other side.

"Yeah. But I'm outside right now"

"Oh? Where are you heading now?" 

"The convenience store. I run out foods" 

"You always does, Irene" 

Irene chuckled.

She's walking by herself in the middle of the night heading to the nearest convenience store. It only took fifteen minute walk from her place. When she arrived at home earlier, she was so hungry and open the refrigerator only to find it empty.

This week has been busy for her. Also the accident that occured a week ago still ringing in her head. Still can't believe she almost being drugged in a party. How clumsy she was.

Most of the time, she spent her time until 7pm before going home after having her part time. She work in a tiny library near the campus. Her task is to organize the books and clean up the bookshelf. 

She love working in that tiny library. The smell of books roaming around that tiny room and also the owner is so friendly. Her name is Seohyun. A very patient, diligent, and neat woman she ever met.

During her part time, sometime Seohyun bought them food to eat since Irene always spent her time until 7pm in the library. Seohyun concern that Irene will not eat when she arrived at home. So she decided to bought the two of them to eat.

Irene was thankful everytime Seohyun did that to her but also kind of insisted at first. Because she doesn't want to burden the woman. But at the end the ate the food Seohyun bought together before they went home.

So, yeah. Clearly she doesn't have time to buy groceries and frozen food for her at home because she spent her time mostly in the library. It's her first time in a week visiting the convenience store.

"Alright then. Be careful, okay? It's dangerous for you to out in the middle of the night like this" said Jennie a little concern.

"Yes, mommy. Gotta go now"

"Okay, baby" Irene chuckled.

When she arrived, she went to the frozen food section, the chips, section, adn went to the refrigerator then took some bottles for her. 

Among Rose, Jisoo, and Lisa, Irene is closer to Jennie. She met Jennie during her high school day since they went to the same high school. Rose, Jisoo, and Lisa are their new friends when they got into college. So it make sense, Jennie spend most of her time with Irene. 

Even after she's in a relationship with Jisoo. Jisoo is not that kind of girl who get jealous easily She understand Jennie and Irene's relationship. And Jennie is so thankful to have Jisoo as her girlfriend.

After she pay for the groceries, Irene went out from the store and walk to her home. The road to her house it's a bit dark at night. Some of the street lights are broken and the rest have dimp light.

Irene had been thinking of moving out from this neighborhood. But she didn't have the time to search around the city. Jennie had offered her to live together but Irene didn't want to burden Jennie. 

Jennie had helped her alot back in the days. Irene didn't came from a wealthy family. She almost drop down from college because she can't pay the tuition fees. How did Jennie knew? 

Well, Irene never work  more than 2 part time job at the time. That's when she notice Irene was struggling with the college tuition fees. So, Jennie offered to pay for her tuition. No. She didn't tell Irene about it. She went straight to the staff room and payed for Irene's tuition until finish.

Irene was mad at first because Jennie didn't tell her and of course she feel indebt towards her best friend. Nonetheless, she's very thankful to met Jennie and she promised the girl she will pay for the tuition. 

The moment Irene was half away to her house, she feels like someone is watching her. More like following her from behind. The faster Irene goes, the footsteps getting closer and closer.

It's not just one man but three men cornering her in a alley where Irene took them. One man push her to the wall and Irene wince in pain. She accidently dropped the groceries she bought. But it didn't matter now.

What matter is how she could get away from this men.

"Honey, it's dangerous for you to walk alone in the middle of the night" said the guy.

Irene can't see the person face because it's too dark and the light is dimp. She curse herself for running to this small alley. Who can help her in this alley?

"You smell nice, girl"

"Let's take turn to taste you, shall we?" 

Irene gulped. She wanted to scream so bad but she can't. She's afraid and can't believe bad things happen to her so fast. Her breathing getting unstable and she can feel her body getting weak.

The man wearing a cap on his head, getting his face closer to Irene's. Wanting to capture her lips. Irene can see a glimpse of smirk on the man face. She move her head away not wanting the man to get closer to her.

She beg and pleaded for this to over. Hoping that someone will help her. 

But then, she can hear man groaning. She had her eyes shut tight when the man was about to kissed her but then she open her eyes only to see a man with hoodie on. 

The man who was about to kissed her is groaning in the ground. Holding his stomach. 

"You men don't have work to do? Running around hunting innoncent girls like her. You should be ashame of yourself" said the stranger in a hoodie.

Not a man. Irene noted to herself.

"Ya! What are you guys waiting? Kill her!" said the men on the ground.

One of the man start to throw punch to the girl but she manage to avoid it and kick his stomach and push him away. The other one manage to capture the stranger. Wrapping his hands around the girl's neck and pull her. Making the girl hard to breath. 

But the girl is like a professional fighter. She jump and once her feet land on the ground, she throw the man body forcefully to the ground. The man with cap on, had himself ready with a knife in his hand. The man pointing his knife to the girl and ran towards the girl. Good thing the girl can avoid it but still got a cut on his left hand.

She groan in pain but still stand on the ground fiercely. When the man was about to fight again, the girl avoid the knife pointing to her heart, punch the man stomach and his chin with her elbow. Then the man fall down to the ground, groaning in pain. 

Three men down by one girl. Those men groaned in pain on the ground and ran away imidietly. 

Irene still stood where she is, still a bit shocked for what just happened. 

"Are you okay?" asked the girl before she open the hoodie. Irene is surely surprise to see the girl behind the hoodie. It's like a destiny for them to meet again. And again, the girl saved he life.

"Seulgi-sshi?" 

"Oh. Irene-sshi. What are you doing in this neighborhood?" 

"I'm asking the same question" said Irene.

"Well, I live around here. I was going to the convenience store when I saw you with three men" 

"Ah..." 

Irene look down feeling a littl embarass because once again she being clumsy. And again, the same girl had saved her life. But then her eyes catch dropped of blood from Seulgi's left hand.

Also her sleeve is covered in blood.

"You're bleeding" 

Then that's when Seulgi relized. Due too many wounds and bruises she took from the fight, she get used to the sting. So she didn't really gets bother by it.

"Oh, that's okay. I'll manage"

"How can you say that? Come on. I will treat it" 

"No. It's okay"

"It's my payback for you. You had saved my life twice. Please. This is the least I can do" 

For awhile, Seulgi look a bit unsure. First, Irene is a law student. She can't just let a person without background medic do this kind of treating. After all, when she look at the wound, she knows she need to get it stitch.

Irene saw how Seulgi doubting her. She sigh. Yes she have the right to doubting her ability but she didn't know Irene. 

"I can stitch your cut. Although I'm a law student, my mother was a nurse. She thought me how to stitch and I have lots of experience" 

Seulgi still doubting her but at the end she nodded. Which make Irene smile a little. Then Irene lead them to her apartment. Walking side by side without having any kind of conversation.