The Answer is No

Knocked Out

"I think it's best if she live with someone. It's not good for her to stay alone" said Krystal.

Seulgi sigh. 

Krystal called her awhile ago because apparently one of Kim Woo Bin men came to Irene's apartment and was about to killed her. Good thing Krystal were there when one of her men told her.

The police department managed to catch the man and is going for an interogation down in the station. 

When Seulgi received the call, she rushed to Irene's apartment and the neighborhood already crowded with the police. 

While Irene remain unconcious inside Krysal's car. 

After awhile, Seulgi finally saw her again. She look so pale and smaller than she were.

It's been a week since Seulgi had ignore her calls, her messages, and she had moved in to her new apartment. 

She had made sure that she remain invisible in the campus.

So that no one can see her, especially Irene and her best friends.

Wendy also did the same in order to be in the same level as Seulgi.

They quit their jobs in Red Velvet Cafe and currently are working in Twice Cafe 20 minutes away from Seulgi's new apartment. 

And the cafe is located in a small alley. The alley isn't dark and humid. 

It's the opposite. The alley is very crowded with young people and there is bunches of restaurants there. 

Seulgi have to confess. None of this is easy for her.

Ignoring Irene is more hard. After all she had been getting used to her presence and with her ignoring Irene, everything gets a little difficult.

Now knowing that Kim Woo Bin is going after for Irene, there is also the possibility they will go after Sunmi and Wendy.

Good thing Yeri is out of town for her field trip for a week.

Once she's back, Seulgi will make sure that Yeri stayed with her. 

"So do you have somewhere to drop her off?" Krystal asked.

Surely there is one place that came up to her mind. But she knew she will get slapped the moment she step her foot infront of the girl house.

"Yeah" 

"Okay. Let's go. I'll drive you there"

~~~

*SLAP

"You really got the nerve to come here, Kang Seulgi" said Jennie angrily. 

Seulgi sigh. Just like she had predicted. But clearly everything that happened right it's her fault and she deserve it.

"Can Irene sleep in your house today? She can't stay in her apartment alone" 

"Why? What happened?" Jennie asked getting a bit worried.

"It's complicated"

"Don't say it's complicated, . You went missing and she can't reach you! Now you came and brought Irene unconcious to my house?! Who the hell are you, Kang Seulgi?" 

"Jennie. Please make sure she stays in your house for the time being. She's not safe to be in her apartment" 

Jennie really want to argue more with Seulgi. But she is more concern with the girl who are lying unconcious on the back seat of the car.

She sigh still glaring at Seulgi as she give her a sign to bring Irene out.

Seulgi nodded and firm her lips before getting Irene out from the car with the help from Krystal. 

 

Both girls lay down the nerd on the comfortable bed gently. Not wanting to wake the girl up. Krystal left Seulgi alone with Irene since she knew the girl need sometime with Irene.

Seulgi sit sideway beside Irene. 

Still watching the girl sleeping peacefully, like she haven't been asleep for the pass few days.

She notice the girl look so pale and she felt so guilty because she's the reason why Irene like this.

She bring her hand to tugged Irene's hair which blocking her beautiful porcelines face. 

Seulgi sigh.

"I'm sorry" said Seulgi before she left. Not wanting to stay any longer inside the room.

The longer she stays, the more she doesn't want to go.

Once she step out from the room, she can see Krystal and Jennie standing face to face.

Jennie glaring at Krystal while the girl remain still in her spot, looking all innoncent.

Well, Krystal didn't do anything, really.

"Thank you, Jennie. I owe you" 

Jennie bring her hands to her hips, looking unsatisfied with the current situation. 

"Are you really not going to tell me what's going on?" 

Seulgi sigh before she shook her head and Jennie scouf in disbelief.

"I really thought you're a good person, Seulgi. Guess I was wrong" said Jennie before she enters the room where Irene is.

"You know the door" said Jennie cynically.

~~~

Feeling a bit hurt around her head, the girl try to open her eyes. 

Trying to get her vision focus and adapting to the brightness inside the room.

Surely she's not in her small apartment. The room is so big, cold, and white. 

The smell of the bed sheet is very familiar for her.

She know where she is.

"You're awake?" 

She was hoping it was someone else. Someone she missed the most.

But to her disappointed, it wasn't her.

"Why am I here, Jen?" 

"Someone brought you here. Did you remember anything last night?" 

Jennie sit right next to the bed and yes. She's been sleeping there since last night. 

Not even dare to leave Irene's side.

Irene stare at the empty ceiling, tyring to recall what happened last night. 

The shadow of a men chasing her and was about to kill her.

She still can feel the pain around her neck.

She can feel the way the men gripped her neck and she was going to die because she didn't get enough air.

But she didn't die. 

She managed to ran away and when she finally outside the apartment, she remember she met a woman.

She didn't get to see the woman face but she was sure the woman was trying to help her.

The way she hugged her and caress her...it's just the same way as Seulgi did to her.

During those time she spent her time with Seulgi, she knows the fragrance smell of the monolid girl.

And the girl she hugged yesterday wasn't Seulgi at all.

It was someone else. Who?

After that memories, she couldn't remember anything else since she went black out.

Once she woke up, she's in one of Jennie's room. 

Jennie groaned frustration as she listened to the story Irene told her.

She sighed.

Who the hell are you, Kang Seulgi?

"Jennie-ah" 

"Hmm?"

"Who took me here?" 

The brunnettte girl remain quiet.

It took time for Irene to realized the situation and it pain her.

It pain her until it drive her real crazy. 

She got up from the bed, moving the bed sheet above her, and walked away from the room.

Jennie groaned in frustration.

The brunnette girl really had enough with Irene.

She need to stop thinking and hoping that Seulgi will come back.

That Seulgi is only her fantasy. That monolid girl is never good for her.

Jennie went down chasing Irene who are already outside her house. Currently walking down the road in her garden.

"Irene! Ya! Stop!" 

But Irene didn't. She continue to walk until she stop when Jennie grip her wrist forcely.

Making Irene facing her with her red and puffy eyes.

"Where the are you going, huh?" Jennie asked furiously.

"I need to find her, Jennie"

"YA! DON'T YOU ING SEE? SHE'S NOT WORTH YOUR LOVE!" 

Irene stay quiet. She wanted to deny what Jennie said.

But she can't.

She can't move her lips to say that it was wrong. Seulgi is a complicated, mysterious, broken person.

All she need to do is waiting for her. Encouraging her that she's here and will always be.

Even if the monolid girl push her away, she won't go.

"Irene. She left you. She left you alone. No explanation. Just gone" 

"Jennie"

"If she really love you, she won't ever leave you alone like this. Irene. I love you and I don't want my best friend to be like this. I don't want you to get hurt" 

"How? How Jennie? Please explain to me when the reason why I'm so happy after all this ing years, was because of her. She made me the happiest girl!" 

"Irene. This is the reality! I don't know what her intetion to get close to you but do you see now? How she abandoned you? She's not worth it, Irene. And please don't depend your happiness on someone else" 

Even how much she wanted to deny it, deep down Irene knows what Jennie said are true. 

Seulgi abandoned her.

Why?

Did she ever do wrong to her?

Was everything she told her was true?

Or was it just an act? If yes then, Seulgi surely a great actress.

Should have taken the job as an actress. 

"I-I love her, Jennie" 

"There is nothing you can do, Irene"

Irene gulped as she look down to the ground.

Slowly tears coming out from the corner of her eyes.

Sobbing through the pain in her chest.

It so painful that it felt like her heart is going to stop anytime soon.

The pain when her mind recalls back to the time where she really had good times with Seulgi.

Smiling so wide and how the girl really gave her the pleasure of being loved.

The way she huddled into Seulgi's neck, feeling so safe inside her hug.

Everything so new for her and fresh. Yet at the end it can be so painful to bear. 

Jennie walk closer to Irene and pulled the hurted girl into a hug.

Caressing the girl's back and make sure that Irene knew she will always here for her. 

~~~

3 month passed by.

And still there is no certains lead to Kim Woo Bin and Ji Chang Wook whereabout.

Seulgi, Krystal, and Wendy began unpatient. 

They always get closer and closer to capture both criminals but at the end they always failed. 

On the other hand, with Seulgi getting so busy with fighting and stuff, she didn't get to bump into Irene.

Nor see her agaiin in campus.

Did she get used to it?

No. She could never get used to it.

Everyday, every night, all her mind was running back to irene. 

She can't forget the girl at all.

Not after what Kim Woo Bin man almost got her killed.

Getting one of Kim Woo Bin man is useless.

He remain quiet all day long and at the end he got in to jail with several charges, including attempted for murdering innoncent erson.

And they are in the dead end.

Krystal intel can't seem to get Jessi to fight with Seulgi.

All they can do right now is to do their routines everyday.

During weekdays, Seulgi and Wendy work in Twice Cafe and ever since the sudden attacked on Irene, Seulgi had asked Sunmi to live with her and Wendy.

While Yeri she's alright in her home since her father is a fighter too.

Sunmi didn't want to bother Seulgi. She declined the offer and made sure that she's okay.

Seulgi didn't have to worry about her. Still Seulgi always worried for her.

While on the other hand, Krysal have her men to watch over Irene.

Not wanting anything bad happen again to Irene.

Since Seulgi's last encounter in Jennie's house, Seulgi never saw Irene again.

It was like the girl vanish into the thin air.

Krystal told her, the girl is still the same.

But most of the time, Irene got drunk at night and sometimes stumble her way back to Jennie's house.

It happened that a week after the accident, Jennie had forced Irene to live with her and sold Irene's apartment.

Seulgi glad Jennie did that because that place is not safe anymore.

Also it's too smal for Irene. Irene really got herself a very good best friends.

Everything look so normal. But if we look closer, none of the girls are okay.

They may look normal on the outside but deep inside, they are deeply hurt.

And the only way to heal those scars, is to get themself busy with anything they do. 

Seulgi work full time in Twice Cafe. Even the owner, Nayeon had told her to not pushing herself too much.

But Seulgi is too stubborn to do so. 

On the gloomy day in Seoul, many people came running to Twice Cafe.

Trying to warm themself with the coffee they make.

Wendy on the other hand are still in campus. She need to evaluate her juniors before she take her shift.

And right now, Seulgi is standing right behind the coffee maker, making some coffee for the customers.

The cafe have two floors and are currently crowded with people.

Seulgi love the way the cafe are full of people. It's rare since not many people acknowledge this cafe existence since its located in an alley.

As she finished making coffee, she ring the bell and called the customer name before going back to the cashier to take orders.

But before she could do so, the cafe door open and ring the bell inside.

Seulgi looked up to see who came in and stop. 

Her body went intense as she clench her jaw, look so surprise to see the girl infront of her. 

She look way more healthier than the last time she saw her.

Her porcelines skins glowing as the light inside the cafe pointing right to her.

She's wearing a simple black shirt with jeans and sneakers on. 

She let her hair fall down beautifully.

Like always Seulgi can't stop being amaze by Irene's beautiful appearance.

She look more confidence with herself than before.

Seulgi notice how Irene had already forgetting her rounded glasses. She never wears it anymore.

When both of them finally make eyes contact, Seulgi can feel her breath stuck.

Irene did the same thing. She looked surprise to see Seulgi here yet she didn't turn away.

She remain still didn't let go of the eyes contact.

Her heart still beat faster like always. 

Even after three month had passed, her heart still beating for the same person.

And ti drive her crazy. 

Like the world belongs to them, they stood still, didn't even try to release the eyes contact.

At that moment, Seulgi knows she can't no longer run away. 

~~~

In the corner of the cafe, placed two cup of hot coffee. Fresh brewed from the barista.

It's not the end of her shift yet but she asked Nayeon permission and the owner let her took off before her shift is over.

After all the girl had been working so hard and she need to rest somehow.

Both girls sitting across each other.

No one dares to open a conversation. Even though there is lots of question running inside Irene's mind.

Seulgi on the other hand hanging her head down, not wanting to look at Irene's eyes.

She felt guilty and missed the girl so much that she can't seems to control herself if she staring at Irene's eyes.

She's scared if she lose control of herself when she supposed to make distant between them. 

"Ho-"

"I-"

Both of them said at the same time.

Seulgi sigh.

"I'll go first" said Seulgi.

Irene didn't respond. She let Seulgi say what she want to say.

"I'm sorry for all the things I did to you. All you need to know is that I did everything I could to protect you"

Still the same reason. Thought Irene.

"And right now I shouldn't be here, talking to you" said Seulgi which made Irene confused.

"Seulgi-ah. Explain to me. Elaborated with me" Seulgi shook her head stubbornly.

Irene close her eyes trying to control her tears.

Still can't believe the monolid girl made everything focusing on her.

She's confuse with all the thing Seulgi had said from the very beginning.

Even after three month passed, she still gave her the same reason.

Seulgi remain silent as she doesn't have anything to say to Irene. Her heart broke into pieces upon seeing Irene infront of her.

Everything seems so complicated. Yes it is because if she's not doing all this, she will endanger irene's life. And that is the least thing she wanted to happen.

"What were we, Seulgi?"

Irene suddenly asked which really caught Seulgi's attention.

"Did you meant everything you say and you did to me?" 

Once Seulgi bring her head up, their eyes met. Making a intense eyes contact because apparently, Irene is glaring at her.

The innoncent, cute, pure girl wasn't there anymore.

Seulgi can see it through Irene's eyes. Raging with anger and hatred. 

This is her only opportunity.

To let go the person she love the most.

It is the only way to make her get out from the life Seulgi unintentionally gave her. 

She took a deep breath with a tangle of emotions, she look deep into Irene's eyes.

"An accident" said Seulgi.

Irene furrowed her eyebrows. Can't believe her ears.

Did Seulgi said they were an accident?

But why does it all seems so...real?

She's lying. She's lying to scares me away

Irene bite her lower lips as she want to argue more but Seulgi cut her before she does.

"I dont' love you. It was an accident" 

Then it hit her...hard.

The way Seulgi said it without any emotion in it seems like she was telling the truth. 

Why? This is not her.

This is not the Seulgi she knew.

Did someone hit her head or something?

Irene stare at Seulgi's eyes, still asking for answer but it was all clear. 

The emotionless on her face, like she never fell inlove with Irene all this time.

Then all of it is just part of her act?

But why does it still feel wrong despite the monolid girl had emphasize her sentence?

Irene stand up from her seat, starting to get tears running down her cheeks.

Seulgi remain still on her seat, not wanting to look at Irene as she look straight.

"I will wait, Seulgi-ah. Deep down...I know you're lying" said Irene before she left the cafe.

Leaving Seulgi all alone in the corner of the cafe with empty seat infront of her and two cups of coffee waiting to get cold anytime soon.

It's not you. That wasn't you, Kang Seulgi. My mind told me to trust what you said but why does my heart said the other way? And it pained me to get so confused because of you. It pained me to stand alone in the crowds not knowing what exactly happening to you. Seulgi-ah...it wasn't you and I still love you despite all the harsh word you told me. Because I know it wasn't you.

Under the heavy rain, cats and dogs, Irene took her legs for a run. Unbothered with the heavy rain, sweating her clothes.

Making herself drench due to the falling water from the sky.

By the time she stop walking, she have already stood infront of the door where she living right now.

Not wanting to get inside,she fall down on her knees, feeling her chest tighten due to the unbearable pained inside her heart.

And so she cried all alone under the heavy rain and cold weather, making her tears invisible due to the rain. Covering her tears.

Soon, the door open anad reveal Jennie who looked completely shocked to see Irene lying on the ground unconcious and cold.

For Seulgi, she hiding herself inside her bedroom. Not crying. But staring at the empty wall infront of her, blaming herself for whatever happen in her life. 

Feeling so guilty for making Irene cried. 

And so the question she had asked to herself has finally got its answered.

Do we have forever? Certainly no.