Chapter Five

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

A smile never disappeared from Jessica’s face when she stared at the sprouts that have finally sprung up after being exposed to sunlight. It was the fourth day, and the sprouts have been growing well. Jessica was truly amazed when she saw it, even though she didn't plant it. Her eyes never stopped sparkling. "Come on, even higher," Jessica muttered. Her curved fingers a cardboard box where the other pot was located.

"You guys are growing up too! Yes!" she exclaimed. Donghae, who was behind Jessica, watched her with a smile. Over the past couple of days, Jessica has been very cheerful. Planting beans and seeing them grow turned out to be a completely new experience for the girl. During this time, she never paid much attention to anything.

Whenever they did science projects in the past, she would usually hand everything to Donghae, especially when it came to dissecting animals such as rabbits or frogs. Jessica turned towards Donghae. "Donghae, where are your plants?" she asked cheerfully. “They are in the other lab on the other side of the school. There wasn’t any room left here in the lab," Donghae responded, throwing a friendly smile at the passing younger class.

Right now they were in the lab near the library where Donghae decided to put their pots. While Jessica herself had never been there, she was amazed when she saw the many school parks in the school, there were many diverse types of bird species. With a wry smile, Jessica embraced Donghae's arm. "Let's see," she said. Donghae nodded and started walking with Jessica. Yoona appeared from the school corridor when the two of them walked a couple of meters.

Her eyes locked with Donghae and Jessica. Donghae himself didn't like the girl because of what happened in the lab a few days ago. Donghae didn't like the way she treats Jessica, especially when the girl pokes Jessica's forehead, as if implying that the girl is stupid. Jessica might not be aware of what was going on, but Donghae will never tell her. She seemed so happy lately, Jessica also seems to be more interested in the books that are inside the family library.

"Ten centimeters!" she shouted.  Suddenly Donghae and Yoona frowned together. Jessica also pointed at Yoona's book. "You're recording the growth of plants, right? I just saw it and it's ten centimeters!" she said. Yoona stared at Jessica flatly. "Thanks, but I want to count it myself," she said. Donghae immediately grabbed Yoona, who was about to walk past them.

"Didn't you hear what she said? She counted it, and you want to count it again yourself?" Donghae said and he did not like Yoona's attitude. Sighing, Yoona glanced at Jessica who looked confused. "I see she didn't use a ruler, and I don't like estimates, I want a definite size," replied Yoona sharply. After dismissing Donghae’s  hand, Yoona continued her steps towards the bean sprouts. Donghae stared at Yoona who was full of arrogance. 

It was as if she forgot that Jessica was standing next to him the whole time. "Are you okay?" Donghae asked softly and full of concern. He was afraid that the girl's heart would get hurt from Yoona's words.  "I'm fine," Jessica said as she nodded her head slowly. "Yesterday, she said I shouldn't interfere, it was my fault anyway," the girl continued without showing any traces of looking sad or offended. "Come on, let's go look at your bean sprouts," she said.

Donghae nodded in resignation. Sometimes he feels uncomfortable when Jessica says things so straightforward, and how naive she can be. Although, sometimes he is thankful that Jessica has that quality. In fact, Donghae hopes that Jessica will r

Please log in to read the full chapter