Chapter Twenty Three

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

The canteen was busy as usual after the bell rang. Instead of standing with the crowd of students, Donghae was busy standing still in front of the refrigerators. He blankly stared at the black steel bottle that was hiding behind the other beverage bottles. The bottle definitely didn't have any drinks in here, there were medical devices that were provided by Mr. Jung.

The middle aged man was busy with his company in China when he got a report about the incident involving Jessica at the basketball court. Even though Donghae tried to be quiet about it and cover it up, Mr. Jung still found out because he has a lot of people to supervise the two kids, even though they didn't know about it. He did it solely to protect his daughter.

Although Mr. Jung never confronted Donghae when he got home, he was busy asking himself things that he never thought before. How did this Yoona girl have more influence on Jessica's lives than Donghae, even though he had been with her for over seventeen years? Soon, the guilt started to affect Donghae and he decided to confess what happened to Mr. Jung, but before he could, Mr. Jung raised his palm making him stop talking.

Donghae felt really uncomfortable with the look Mr. Jung gave him. It looked like a mix of disappointment and sadness and it was killing him from the inside. It was as if Mr. Jung no longer saw him as a strong and reliable man and now sees him as a weak and incompetent. Donghae always saw Mr. Jung as an important person in his life and he always wants to see Mr. Jung being proud of him.

Seeing the disappointed look on Mr. Jung's face was like a hard slap in the face. He felt useless now, he couldn't even protect the girl that he left Irene for. Suddenly, he received a message from Yuri. Donghae, Yuri, and Jessica were the closest group of friends when they were younger and he treated her like a sister. However, when he received the message he should have been happy but he felt uneasy instead.

From: [email protected]

To: [email protected]

Hi Donghae? How are you? I hope you and Jessica are doing well. Sorry that I couldn't contact you until now, I miss you guys so much, especially Jessica unnie. How is she right now? I hate being here so much because I can't stop thinking about you and Jessica. I heard from my mother that Jessica is suffering from her illness. Are you guys dating?

I can't stop wondering that you guys might get into a relationship because I'm gone. Don't date each other lol. This is our last year in high school in England, and after our graduation, I'll come back to Korea so I can meet you and Jessica. I can't contact her because I don't know if she has one, by the way I got your email from mom. Please pass my regards to Jessica and tell her that her lovely Kwon Seobang is coming back to Korea soon.

Love: Yuri

Donghae frowned after seeing the enthusiasm that Yuri emitted through the email. The girl didn't know that a lot of things have changed now. He hoped that there won't be any problems when Yuri would return and he became very worried about Yoona and Jessica's relationship. Suddenly Donghae remembered that he was still standing in front of the fridge.

"Whatever, I miss my friend," Donghae murmured to himself with a grim smile. "Ouch!" Donghae said as he felt someone hit his shoulder. However, before he could turn around and look at the person that hit him, they whispered in his ear. "Since when was the fridge a place to chat? Well, there aren't any people to talk to stupid," said the person behind Donghae.

Donghae turned around and saw that it was Jaebum and Nickhun. Nickhun only smiled sideways, while Donghae had a look of shock. "Why are you stunned? Can't you just move if you don't want to drink anything?" Nickhun said and scoffed at him. Donghae immediately walked out of the canteen to ignore what Nickhun said. Donghae returned to the area in front of the library, to take a break from things.

To be honest, he felt like a coward ever since he ended things with Irene, because he couldn't bear to face her. Donghae was scared of the look that Irene would give her if they met, he thinks that she might be frustrated or disappointed with him. Just as he was about to leave towards the courtyard, Donghae's steps suddenly stopped when Yoona called his name. The two of them stared at each other for a couple seconds.

"Let's talk," Yoona said sharply, making the other students turn to look at her and whisper among themselves. "What do you need to talk about? You sound very serious," Donghae said trying to joke around, even though he knew that Yoona wasn't playing around. "Okay, where should we go?" Donghae asked when Yoona didn't respond to his joke and glared at him instead.

Without saying anything, Donghae followed Yoona as she walked towards the courtyard, where there are a lot of trees to have some privacy. They stopped in front of a shed that had garden equipment. Yoona turned to face him and Donghae smiles, aware that Yoona's body language meant that she was very angry. "What do yo

Please log in to read the full chapter