Chapter Thirty Five

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yoona and her friends decided to go home after spending fifteen minutes of chatting with Jessica and Donghae. Those fifteen minutes had an extremely awkward atmosphere enveloping the room. After Sunmi finished their prayers for Jessica's health, they left one by one. However before Yoona could leave, Donghae pulled her arm, making her stop. "Please come back later," he said and made Yoona frown.

The two of them stared at each other, the look in Donghae's eyes were pleading. Yoona gave him a small nod and headed towards Sunmi and her classmates who were waiting for her. "Miss, I'll go home later. I have to discuss something with Donghae," she said to Sunmi. "Okay, goodbye," Sunmi said. Yoona smiled and politely nodded to let her students go home.

"Yoona, come with me," Donghae said as Sunmi and the others were no longer in the corridor. Donghae didn't react to the girl, he just pulled her away and Yoona followed him in confusion. "Where are we going?" Yoona asked when they weren't going into Jessica's room. "Let's go to Doctor Kim now," he said, making Yoona stop. "Why? Are we going to ask why Jessica can't remember anything?" Yoona asked because she didn't understand it.

"Yes, I also don't know why Jessica lost her memories. It's okay," he said. Yoona couldn't refuse, because she was also curious why Jessica lost her memories. The two of them walked down the aisle of the hospital until they arrived at the door of Doctor Kim's room. When Doctor Kim had no patients left, they went inside. "Excuse me Doctor Kim," said Donghae.

Yoona saw a handsome middle-aged man looking at some files and he shifted his gaze towards them. The man smiled at Donghae and Yoona and he invited the two to sit down. "What's wrong Donghae?" he asked. "Well Doctor..," Donghae was about to say but Doctor Kim cut him off. "Just call me uncle, Donghae," said the friendly Doctor Kim. Donghae smiled and glanced at Yoona who seemed to be very calm.

"Doctor, Jessica...," Donghae said. He suddenly stopped, because he felt like he couldn’t breathe. "What's wrong with Jessica? Why can't she remember her friends? Is she really...," Donghae said but he couldn't continue anymore. Doctor Kim slightly nodded and gave a piece of paper that contained some information and x-rays. "I haven't gotten the chance to tell you, she has partial amnesia," Doctor Kim calmly replied.

Donghae's expression showed a look of disbelief and Yoona couldn't hide her surprise. "Why did that happen uncle, was the impact so hard that Jessica suffered memory loss?" Donghae asked, he started to feel uneasy. "The collision caused the brain to be traumatized to the point that she had partial amnesia, which means that she can't remember anything that happened three years ago. That's why Jessica can't remember anyone but you," said Doctor Kim.

The cold room just got even colder. Donghae glanced at the girl beside him, Yoona hadn't changed her expression at all, but Donghae was sure that Yoona would blame herself. He felt uneasy and guilty, but he knew that Yoona would feel even worse because she saw the girl fall in front of her own eyes. Now Donghae realized that he couldn't hate Yoona, because he knew that she felt awful enough.

Before Doctor Kim could speak, the door suddenly opened. "Father...," Taeyeon was about to say but she realized that Donghae and Yoona were in the room. She was surprised by the presence of the two figures, especially Yoona. "Ummm...," Taeyeon said as she suddenly became nervous, she became anxious because she couldn't read Yoona's expression.

"Taeyeon, what did I tell you about barging in without knocking? Luckily, Donghae and his friend are here," he said and Taeyeon grinned. "I'm sorry," she said. Donghae felt that the air was becoming uncomfortable and decided to leave. Besides, their question was answered. Yoona and Donghae bowed to Doctor Kim for his explanation and both of them left.

Yoona didn't even glance at Taeyeon, she looked like she didn't know her and that made Taeyeon feel guilty for not telling Yoona beforehand. "Yoona," Taeyeon said when Donghae and Yoona were about to leave the hospital corridor. "Will you accompany me somewhere?" she asked. Yoona didn't answer right away, she just kept silent with an expression that can't be read. Then Donghae tapped Yoona's shoulder.

"Go with her Yoona. We already went to see Doctor Kim," Donghae said without waiting for Yoona's reaction. Donghae didn't return to Jessica's ward, his footsteps took him away to the hospital garden and sat on the benches there. It looked like he was enjoying the atmosphere in the part, but he was staring blankly ahead and Doctor Park's words kept playing in his brain. Those words were disturbing and made him even more nervous than before.

Sadly, when all his friends approached him, he couldn't speak to them at all. Donghae never thought that something like this would happen. The news that Jessica regained consciousness made him so happy, but his happiness disappeared when he learned that Jessica experienced partial amnesia. Sometimes, Donghae feels like life isn't fair.The vibration of his cellphone pulled Donghae out of his thoughts, he took out the device and read a short message from his mother.

We are on our way home.

His parents have finally arrived in Seoul. He didn't need to guess why, because he knew that they heard everything from Mr. Jung. Donghae should have been relieved that his parents didn't blame him for what happened to Jessica, but he still felt like he failed and he couldn't even keep his own promise. Suddenly, a cold mineral water bottle appeared in Donghae's view.

He stared at the bottle for a moment and then he looked up. Irene stood in front of him while wearing her school uniform. "You might be thirsty," Irene said while looking at Donghae's face. He accepts the bottle and smiles weakly. "Thank you Irene," said Donghae. Irene nodded and took a seat next to Donghae. Irene intended to visit Jessica but she saw Donghae in the park who was staring in the distance. 

"Have you been doing well?" a worried Irene asked. Donghae looked around before staring back at Irene and he smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine," he said and went back to staring at the grass in front of him. The afternoon wind blew faintly and there was a cold feeling on Donghae's arms because he was only wearing a polo shirt. However, nothing could beat the guilt and regret he felt.

Irene finally realized Donghae's condition. She realized that the handsome boy had to carry a very heavy burden all alone. After she found out, she really wanted Donghae to open up to her, so she could help him but she didn't know where to start. "Jessica and I were both born in this hospital," Donghae said after a slight pause between the two. 

"She was born first, and the doctors realized that something was wrong with her. It was very hard to pinpoint what was wrong with her so the doctor worked very hard to find the illness. Apparently Jessica had a blood disorder," he said. Irene didn't respond, she only listened to Donghae's story. "Jessica's adoptive parents and my parents have been friends for a while," he continued and Irene nodded.

"Jessica's parents couldn't have children, so when my parents told them about Jessica, they fell in love with her and decided to adopt her. They didn't care that she had a disease and her background. All I knew from Jessica's past was that her biological mother left her because she didn't want her," he said. "Then a few weeks later, I was born with the same blood type as her," he said.

"Since then, our parents have planned out our future. One day, one of Mr. Jung's clients and closest friends introduced his daughter to us. Her name was Kwon Yuri and her arrival changed everything. It has always been the three of us, we grew up together. I've always thought of Yuri as my sister and always wanted to protect her. I'm glad Yuri and Jessica were close but the sisterly love started to cross the line," said Donghae and Irene was very confused.

"What do you mean?" she asked Donghae and he continued. "Jessica and Yuri had romantic feelings for each other in the past," he said and Irene's eyes widened, but she couldn't say anything. Jessica once said that when she grows up, she wants to live with Yuri, they would even call each other names that only couples would call each other. Even though Jessica was a little girl, she was serious about her feelings for her. Yuri was a tough girl and she was almost as strong as me," he said and Irene smiled.

She wondered how this Yuri girl looked. "She was Jessica's first love, at first no one accepted the relationship, especially my parents. Finally, Mr. Jung blessed them when he said that she could love who she wanted to love, Yuri can protect Jessica. Soon, Yuri left for London without Jessica knowing and continued going to school there. Ever since then, Jessica became quiet and she always cried. She

Please log in to read the full chapter