Chapter Four

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Wow! You get to be paired up with Jessica Jung?" Irene exclaimed as she was cooking them pancakes. She was looking at her older sister in disbelief, was wide open after the story Yoona told her, it was so shocking that she couldn't believe it. Yoona didn't care about her excited sister and kept her eyes focused on her book. "You're going to burn it later," Yoona murmured to her sister. Irene didn't seem to care about her cooking.

"Are you sure you're in a group with Jessica? The beautiful Jessica?" she asked. Yoona got annoyed because she couldn't focus. She tilted her head and looked at Irene with narrowed eyes. "Is there any other Jessica? Don't talk, keep cooking the pancakes," she said. Irene still couldn't believe what her sister said. "Jessica isn't like that," Irene said.

"Irene!" Yoona exclaimed. "Wait, but isn't Jessica always with Donghae? How come they don't want to be separated?" she asked as she put the pancake on Yoona's plate. "Don't worry about it," Yoona replied and put the book in her bag, then glanced at the basket filled with bread. "How come there are so many?" she asked. "Oh, yesterday's bread ran out and Jiyong asked for a lot," she replied as she began eating her pancakes.

Yoona only nodded slightly, then her attention focused on Irene, they really looked alike. Irene likes to supply bread made by Aunt Jia, a neighbor who works at the school canteen. She doesn't make much money, but they have enough to pay rent for their small apartment, and also save for urgent needs. Yoona purposely never asked how much money Irene made, but she was sure that it was enough to buy a smartphone, which Irene didn't consider important.

Yoona started to eat her pancakes that Irene made earlier. In the past, Yoona banned Irene from selling bread at school. That's because their status as a scholarship recipient is enough to be mockery material, coupled with the title of bread seller. However her younger sister didn't care, she did it with a happy heart and said that she learned entrepreneurship. Yoona was truly amazed by her younger sister who was very mature for her age.

When their parents were killed in a car accident three years ago. Irene didn't cry, she just said that it was fate. She was not angry, when the alleged hit-and-run offender could arrogantly pay off everything by paying for them until high school. Exactly three years ago, the person who hit Yoona's parents had to register Yoona and her sister to KIS as a form of responsibility as the perpetrator.

However Yoona and Irene got a scholarship instead and didn't have to pay anything else as a result. To this day, they still refused the money given by the offender who killed their parents because of their carelessness and because they couldn’t take the money, because they knew that it would hurt their pride. For almost two and half years after the tragedy happened, Yoona and Irene lived in their widowed aunt's house, because she is the only family member willing to take care of them.

Although their aunt never said anything, Yoona and Irene did their best to not be a burden to their aunt. Finally they got enough money to rent enough money for an apartment that was for the middle and lower class. Suddenly Yoona started choking. "Yoona, are you okay?" Irene asked and Yoona drank a glass of water. "Yeah I am fine," she said and Irene calmed down. Irene was a year younger than Yoona but Yoona was very proud of her sister.

Aside from being pretty and very athletic, she is loved by everyone. Unlike Yoona who prefers to be alone and read books, Irene is very friendly and sociable and that lets her have lots of friends. Yoona could never do that, no matter how hard she tries, she will definitely give up trying to be sociable. Yoona knows that she can change her destiny in her own way. Yoona will show a rich person that life isn't all about money, she will defeat her in a better way, through her work.

-

"Alright, everyone has their own pair?" Sunmi asked. Everyone replied enthusiastically except for Yoona, Jessica, and Donghae. Yoona and Jessica just sat quietly, about 2 feet apart, and staring straight at Sunmi with different expressions. While Donghae was separated from Jessica, he kept watching her with utmost concentration. "Okay," Sunmi said while trying to not care about the three ch

Please log in to read the full chapter