Chapter Eleven

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jessica was busy staring at the ceiling of the room that sparkled like a star in the night sky. She the wooden cat that Yoona gave, her mind continued to wander about what happened that afternoon when she returned home with Yoona. For the first time, she walked on the edge of a playground, took a bus, and met a street vendor. Previously, Jessica had never realized the beauty of the outside world, she usually played on her iPad or would sleep. This incident made her open her eyes and become aware of her surroundings.

I'll be here for you.

No matter how slow you walk, I'll stay behind you.

I don't want you to faint while going uphill, hurry up!

The words that Yoona said kept ringing in her head, making Jessica smile widely. Those words meant so much to her, she felt like crying. It showed that Yoona really cared about her, because she was daydreaming, Jessica did not feel the cold sensation of the ice bags piercing her knees. She was also unaware that Donghae was beside her, staring anxiously, even cursing himself for letting Jessica go with Yoona.

Donghae had been watching Yoona closely for a long time. He realized that the girl couldn't be trusted. She made her go on the bus, what if the driver could have been reckless? Jessica also had to walk in the hot sun, isn't that bad enough? Donghae's fist clenched tightly, this was the first time he made a mistake that could have been fatal. Even though Mr. Jung wasn't here to scold him, he felt really guilty.

Hearing the disappointed tone of the person you look up to is worse than a slap to the face. "Donghae," someone said. Jessica's sweet voice made Donghae aware of his reverie. He turned to the girl who looked at the ceiling with a broken smile on her face. "Yes Jessica?" he asked. "Don't be mad at Yoona," she said. Donghae paused for a moment while digesting Jessica's words, but what was the point of thinking about this? Yoona was a bad person.

"Yoona is a really nice person, besides, she didn't make me walk all the way," she said. "Continue," he said, he was curious about what Jessica meant. "She carried me back to her house earlier, she also took care of me on the road," Jessica said. Donghae didn't know what to answer, but he had to believe Jessica's statement. He knew Jessica wouldn't lie to him. Just thinking about this made Donghae's head hurt. "Donghae," Jessica called. "Yes?" he asked.

"Is falling in love like this?" Jessica asked. Donghae suddenly widened his eyes when he heard Jessica's statement, he could see the blush on her cheeks through the dimness of the room. Jessica looked at Donghae because he didn't answer. "In the movies, when you are in love your heart races and your cheeks turn red, is that how it is in real life?" Jessica asked. Donghae paused for a moment. "I don't know Jessica," he said. Donghae didn't lie about his answer.

He only knew that in romantic movies, the main character's heart will pound, cheeks will blush, and can't stop thinking about that person. Despite knowing the symptoms, Donghae had never felt it until now. "Haven't you felt it before with Yuri?" he asked, making Jessica look at him closely. Jessica went silent as if trying to remember something, and then she chuckled.

"Really?" she asked. "Yes, maybe I fell in love in the past, but I didn't fall this deep. Falling in love as a child is different than falling in love as an adolescent, it feels better. It's like you don't need anything else, it's like a cure for everything," she said while looking back at the cat, remembering what Yoona did to her in the afternoon especially when she hugged her on the bus. Donghae did not blink at all, he looked at Jessica for a long time.

What was feared by Mr. Jung and Donghae finally happened, Jessica fell in love again. According to Mr. Jung, there was nothing wrong with falling in love. It was a natural and human thing to do. Ever since Donghae and Jessica met seventeen years ago, something kept them bound together. Maybe if Yuri didn't leave, then the story would have been different. Jessica and Yuri had the same bond as Donghae and Jessica did.

If Yuri hadn't moved to the United Kingdom, Mr. Jung wouldn't have asked Donghae to take care of Jessica as he does now.  Now, Jessica fell for a girl that wasn't Yuri. Even though they were together for a long time, they never fell in love, they only cared for each other like siblings. Rather than feeling sad or jealous, Donghae felt annoyed with himself for letting someone go through the walls he put around Jessica to protect her, that was another mistake.

-

The bell hasn't rung yet, but Yoona is already busy reading a book as usual. Last night she read a book about the history of the Joseon Dynasty from her friend Kim Taeyeon, a classmate next door. Now she is busy reading a book about old poems. Yo

Please log in to read the full chapter